TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #5911
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
TWC customers may be able to get relieve from CCI flags... but that remains to be seen.
That would be welcome; but, likely will not happen.
I believe the name will be the only change. The people, contractors, etc will carry on with little or no change in operations or policies.
If it even happens...
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #5912
unitron

Quote:
From a 'hardware/infrastructure' perspective... I would say you are exactly correct. TWC customers may be able to get relieve from CCI flags... but that remains to be seen.
Likely you'll have to make an issue of the issue at your local office--tell them that other Comcast customers aren't being restricted that way.

Not to mention contacting Comcast corporate offices and bugging them about unequal treatment.

Although that could result in former TWC customers having to take cold comfort in knowing that now *all* Comcast customers are subject to the anti-copy bit if they decide to solve the problem that way instead.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:09 AM   #5913
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Likely you'll have to make an issue of the issue at your local office--tell them that other Comcast customers aren't being restricted that way.

Not to mention contacting Comcast corporate offices and bugging them about unequal treatment.

Although that could result in former TWC customers having to take cold comfort in knowing that now *all* Comcast customers are subject to the anti-copy bit if they decide to solve the problem that way instead.
That would suck.... lol
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #5914
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
That is the most likely outcome.
And for the cable cutters, still using cable for internet access.
I see higher cost to keep the current band width, or charge by data used, like phone co's are doing now.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #5915
wtherrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
That is the most likely outcome.
And for the cable cutters, still using cable for internet access.
I see higher cost to keep the current band width, or charge by data used, like phone co's are doing now.
You are correct, Teeps. Cableco going to get your $$ one way or another.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #5916
DougJohnson

OK. I've got to tell this story. This week I bought a new Roamio Plus to replace my 7 year old OLED S3. I was dreading the cable card hassle.

My Roamio showed up and I called Time Warner's local number to get a new m-card. After a short time on hold, I got a guy who said "I can help you with that". And he did. Offered to FedEx the card or let me pick it up. In spite of previous awful experience with Time Warner offices, I said I'd pick it up.

Before, the Time Warner offices made the DMV look good. You stood in line in a dark cave until a single clerk, who moved slower than you thought possible, got around to being rude to you and, maybe, get you what you needed.

This time, I walked into a stylish lobby, was greeted at the door, asked what I wanted, led over to a friendly agent, who asked a couple of questions, got the m-card, got a receipt from me, and I was done. Five minutes total.

Pairing was similarly painless. One phone call to the local number, a brief time on hold while I was forwarded to the correct agent, I read the numbers off the cable card screen, and I started getting channels. Another five minutes.

I know, y'all think I'm drunk or crazy, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

-- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:14 AM   #5917
dlfl
Cranky old novice

What TWC system are you in? (i.e., where are you located?). I'm betting it isn't my TWC region, SW Ohio. Also, have you verified that your CableCARD (and Tuning Adapter, if you use one) support(s) 6 tuners?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #5918
AudioNutz

I noticed a great deal of spit & polish at my local TWC place as well over the past 3 months. Companies will typically brush their teeth and comb their hair when they know they're ripe for acquisition.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #5919
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJohnson View Post
OK. I've got to tell this story. This week I bought a new Roamio Plus to replace my 7 year old OLED S3. I was dreading the cable card hassle.

My Roamio showed up and I called Time Warner's local number to get a new m-card. After a short time on hold, I got a guy who said "I can help you with that". And he did. Offered to FedEx the card or let me pick it up. In spite of previous awful experience with Time Warner offices, I said I'd pick it up.

Before, the Time Warner offices made the DMV look good. You stood in line in a dark cave until a single clerk, who moved slower than you thought possible, got around to being rude to you and, maybe, get you what you needed.

This time, I walked into a stylish lobby, was greeted at the door, asked what I wanted, led over to a friendly agent, who asked a couple of questions, got the m-card, got a receipt from me, and I was done. Five minutes total.

Pairing was similarly painless. One phone call to the local number, a brief time on hold while I was forwarded to the correct agent, I read the numbers off the cable card screen, and I started getting channels. Another five minutes.

I know, y'all think I'm drunk or crazy, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

-- Doug
Even a blind pig finds an acorn...
The TW office in Torrance moved to a new and similar to your description office a while back.
I've had mostly good experiences, my XL4 activation went similar to your experience.

But wait; the price of cable service is going up next month, so warns the notice in this month's bill....
Old 02-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #5920
DougJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
What TWC system are you in? (i.e., where are you located?). I'm betting it isn't my TWC region, SW Ohio. Also, have you verified that your CableCARD (and Tuning Adapter, if you use one) support(s) 6 tuners?
Dallas, Texas. I didn't think to check all 6 tuners (who needs 6 tuners anyway?) until you mentioned it, but they all work fine, including the tuning adapter.

-- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #5921
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
I can live with the stupid TA thing. My biggest gripe with TWC is that I cannot transfer programs from one Tivo to another one on my same network within my own home. They set the no-copy byte on practically everything. Only the local channels are transferable. ComCast does this only for premium channels, I understand.

Its my understanding that when using Tivo Roamio and Premiere DVR's that the TWC no copy flag is not an issue since these
Tivos stream instead of transfer. Can someone confirm this for me?
Old 02-20-2014, 09:43 PM   #5922
AudioNutz

This is true, unless you want to take the content with you, like on an airplane without WiFi
Old 02-20-2014, 11:41 PM   #5923
dlfl
Cranky old novice

TWC Southwest Ohio is currently pushing a Tuning Adapter software update to F.1901, as had been predicted by the national CableCARD help desk. My TA is blinking rapidly and continuously and SDV channels are not tunable. Calling the local TWC support number yields a pre-recorded message that there is a service problem resulting in some channels being black and they're working to fix it. However, TA diagnostics are available and they display the new software version.

Well, the TA light just went steady and all channels are now tunable. Amazing. The last time they pushed an update (to F.1501) it disabled all TA's on the system for an entire day.

and
Old 02-21-2014, 07:17 AM   #5924
SCSIRAID

Quote:
TWC Southwest Ohio is currently pushing a Tuning Adapter software update to F.1901, as had been predicted by the national CableCARD help desk. My TA is blinking rapidly and continuously and SDV channels are not tunable. Calling the local TWC support number yields a pre-recorded message that there is a service problem resulting in some channels being black and they're working to fix it. However, TA diagnostics are available and they display the new software version.

Well, the TA light just went steady and all channels are now tunable. Amazing. The last time they pushed an update (to F.1501) it disabled all TA's on the system for an entire day.
Fingers crossed that it fixes the tuning failure / missed recording problem.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #5925
wtherrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
Its my understanding that when using Tivo Roamio and Premiere DVR's that the TWC no copy flag is not an issue since these
Tivos stream instead of transfer. Can someone confirm this for me?
Roamio< > Premiere streaming works seamlessly regardless of no copy flag. Transfers don't. S2 transfer to any others works. S3's are the ones that can't transfer or stream. My THD is now like an orphan

Old 02-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #5926
tatergator1

Quote:

Also pushed to Central Ohio last night. I woke up to the "A Tuning Adapter has been detected" screen on my Tivo. Thought maybe there was a power outage with the weather last night, but it occurred to me it might have been the long rumored .1901 update. I then checked my TA and, sure enough, it is was running .1901. Now to watch this over the next week or so and see if some of the quirks of the old firmware go away.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #5927
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Fingers crossed that it fixes the tuning failure / missed recording problem.
That would really be nice. I've talked to the national CableCARD desk twice about this F.1901 update and it's disappointing how little they know about what it fixes, just vague ideas it might have something to do with Roamio-related problems.

and
Old 02-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #5928
Teeps

Where does one fine the firmware version display?
Old 02-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #5929
tatergator1

From TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Account & System Info > Tuning Adapter

This will place you into the Tuning Adapter menus. Arrow down to something like "Versions..." and hit select. The firmware version is something in the form "STA1.0.0_1520...."
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:35 AM   #5930
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Where does one fine the firmware version display?
Tuning Adapter Diagnostics ... Versions and MACs .... FLASH:

The F.1901 is just the last part of the version text.

This is for Cisco TA's. TWC uses Motorola TA's in some regions and I'm sure the version info is different for those.

and
Old 02-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #5931
Teeps

Quote:
Tuning Adapter Diagnostics ... Versions and MACs .... FLASH:

The F.1901 is just the last part of the version text.

This is for Cisco TA's. TWC uses Motorola TA's in some regions and I'm sure the version info is different for those.
Thanks guys, found it.
The TA on my xl4 has F.1901, not sure when it updated.
But, I seem to remember the screen saying a tuning adapter is connected, a while back.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #5932
marklyn

Quote:
Thanks guys, found it.
The TA on my xl4 has F.1901, not sure when it updated.
But, I seem to remember the screen saying a tuning adapter is connected, a while back.
I think I saw that about 2-3 nights ago but didn't really look into it. I thought maybe the TA belched or something. I'm going to check when I get home.
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #5933
wtherrell

:-D Great experience with TWC CSR.
My tuning adapter got fouled up with a reversed power switch. (TA was off when its front panel light was on and TA on when front panel light off.) Cable card hotline guy said it happens sometimes & exchange it. So I go to the local office & CSR (Anna) brings out the new TA, pulls up my account, exclaims, & says have you been wondering why your cable bill is so high? I replied that yes I had but hadn't gotten around to seeing about it yet. Long story short : I walk out of the local office paying $100 less per month for the same service (phone, TV, & Internet) and will have all previous overcharges refunded on future bills.
Plus, the TA works. :-D

Old 02-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #5934
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
:-D Great experience with TWC CSR.
My tuning adapter got fouled up with a reversed power switch. (TA was off when its front panel light was on and TA on when front panel light off.) Cable card hotline guy said it happens sometimes & exchange it. So I go to the local office & CSR (Anna) brings out the new TA, pulls up my account, exclaims, & says have you been wondering why your cable bill is so high? I replied that yes I had but hadn't gotten around to seeing about it yet. Long story short : I walk out of the local office paying $100 less per month for the same service (phone, TV, & Internet) and will have all previous overcharges refunded on future bills.
Plus, the TA works. :-D

Somehow overcharging you $100 indefinitely until it was accidentally discovered doesn't qualify as a "great experience" to me. Although I'm so used to bad experiences with TWC that I am relatively uplifted when they occasionally do something nice.

and
Old 02-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #5935
wtherrell

Quote:
Somehow overcharging you $100 indefinitely until it was accidentally discovered doesn't qualify as a "great experience" to me. Although I'm so used to bad experiences with TWC that I am relatively uplifted when they occasionally do something nice.
Exactly!

Old 02-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #5936
HookdOnTivonics

I live in the Triad area in NC. We've been getting bombarded with channel lineup change notices. After going to the TWC site, it looks like this is part of a national change. Has anyone else been through the new lineup change? Did you have any problems with the guide getting updated correctly?
HookdOnTivonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:57 PM   #5937
ShaneF

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookdOnTivonics View Post
I live in the Triad area in NC. We've been getting bombarded with channel lineup change notices. After going to the TWC site, it looks like this is part of a national change. Has anyone else been through the new lineup change? Did you have any problems with the guide getting updated correctly?
This happened in WNY several months ago. The only real hassle was that all season passes needed to be deleted and re-added.
ShaneF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #5938
HookdOnTivonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneF View Post
This happened in WNY several months ago. The only real hassle was that all season passes needed to be deleted and re-added.
Thanks. I was afraid of that. I was hoping that there was some magical channel remapping that would happen.
HookdOnTivonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #5939
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookdOnTivonics View Post
Thanks. I was afraid of that. I was hoping that there was some magical channel remapping that would happen.
Normally a channel change would be re-mapped automatically to your season pass.

But in this case, the old channel and new channel are different. So your old SP's were on, for example, FX HD or FX (SD). But the new channel is just FX.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #5940
seggers

Well, it's been a while since I last posted here, some 2 years or so. TiVo HD3 still going strong. Cable cards and TA, not so much. We cut our cables TV connection a week ago now.

I know ComCast (might) is coming, but for now, our bill just went way down...

Seggers
seggers is offline   Reply With Quote