TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #1
Ham Bone

Restore a bak on series 1

Hi all I have a first version tivo and made a backup (tivo.bak) file using MFS tools way back in 2006 and now the drive went out again and for the life of me I can not make sense of my notes or how to use the mfs disk I still have from back then. So basically can someone point me to a thread or tell me how to get my tivo.bak file from the CD onto a new drive? Any help is much appreciated.
Ham Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Bone View Post
Hi all I have a first version tivo and made a backup (tivo.bak) file using MFS tools way back in 2006 and now the drive went out again and for the life of me I can not make sense of my notes or how to use the mfs disk I still have from back then. So basically can someone point me to a thread or tell me how to get my tivo.bak file from the CD onto a new drive? Any help is much appreciated.
Allow me to suggest you upgrade to the MFS Live cd V1.4, which is based on MFS Tools and can work with .bak files.

Well, let me suggest you download the .iso and burn a copy "as an image" so it'll be bootable because it's a handy cd to have, but that's a separate issue from getting your S1 up and running again.

Is there anything really special about the .bak file you made?

Any hacks you want to keep, etc.?

What brand and model drive do you have in there now and with what do you propose to replace it?

Are we talking about a stand-alone S1, not a DirecTiVo? A Phillips or a Sony?

If you don't work with the command line stuff on a regular basis, it's easy to forget what you knew, I have found, but I think I still remember enough to fix you up.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
Ham Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Allow me to suggest you upgrade to the MFS Live cd V1.4, which is based on MFS Tools and can work with .bak files.

Well, let me suggest you download the .iso and burn a copy "as an image" so it'll be bootable because it's a handy cd to have, but that's a separate issue from getting your S1 up and running again.

Is there anything really special about the .bak file you made?

Any hacks you want to keep, etc.?

What brand and model drive do you have in there now and with what do you propose to replace it?

Are we talking about a stand-alone S1, not a DirecTiVo? A Phillips or a Sony?

If you don't work with the command line stuff on a regular basis, it's easy to forget what you knew, I have found, but I think I still remember enough to fix you up.
Can seem to find that MFS Live to download, have a link?
I have a Philips HDR112 stand alone and the drive I need to put in is a 160gig Seagate model st3160021a
What was in there was a WD 100Gig model WD1000BB and it totally dead.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
Ham Bone

trying to go by my old notes. This is how I have a desktop computer set up with XP on it. I have the "tivo.bak" file in the C: directory and that drive is on the primary IDE channel set as master the secondary is the new 160gig drive set as master and my cd drive is slave. I boot MFStools and just hit the enter key and after a few screens of stuff I get the flashing # so I enter mkdir /mnt/dos then hit the enter key next I type in mount /dev/hda /mnt/dos and hit the enter key then the screen says I must enter a file system first and this is where I stop so am I going in the right direction?

* also now have MFS Live

Last edited by Ham Bone : 02-13-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
Ham Bone

tried this with live version and get "invalid argument"

MFSLive Linux Boot CD - Upgrade Guide Page 1
Single to Single Drive Upgrade

Series 1

Disk to Disk Copy
Backup to a File
Restore from a File

Series 2 & 3

Disk to Disk Copy
Backup to a File
Restore from a File

Series 2 & 3

For this section of the guide, TiVo Series 2 IDE drives are used. Please note that TiVo Series 3 uses SATA drive so device names will be /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. Substitute device names accordingly and make sure you don't overwrite your original drive by interchanging backup and restore device names. If you are not sure, you can use Shift-PageUp keys and look for hdc, hdd, sda and sdb device names on screen to determine where drives are mounted. This guide does not cover every scenario so try ICG if you are confused.

Disk to Disk Copy
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slow way but preserves recordings: (avg 2GB/min)

Option 1.1 To copy everything from original size Tivo drive to another and keep the same capacity:

backup -qTao - /dev/hdc | restore -s 128 -zpi - /dev/hdd

Option 1.2 To copy everything from original size Tivo drive to another and expand capacity:

backup -qTao - /dev/hdc | restore -s 128 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdd

Option 1.3 To copy everything from expanded Tivo drive to another bigger drive. If you get "Backup target not large enough" error, chances are, you need this option.

This option is built into WinMFS so give it a try.

With MFSLive Linux Boot CD 1.3 or higher, -r 4 is optional as the bug is found and fixed. Read all about r value.
You can customize linux swap partition by using different -s value. Read all about swap.

Quick way but will loose recordings: (1-2 minutes)

Option 1.5 To make a truncated copy from Tivo drive to another and keep the same capacity:

backup -qf 9999 -so - /dev/hdc | restore -s 128 -zpi - /dev/hdd

Option 1.6 To make a truncated copy from Tivo drive to another and expand capacity:

backup -qf 9999 -so - /dev/hdc | restore -s 128 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdd

With MFSLive Linux Boot CD 1.3 or higher, -r 4 is optional as the bug is found and fixed. Read all about r value.
You can customize linux swap partition by using different -s value. Read all about swap.

Series 2 & 3 Backup to a File
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First you need to mount dos or windows formatted drive:

To mount on primary master, connect windows formatted drive on primary master and run the following command:

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /dos

To mount a USB external drive, USB thumb stick or SATA drive, plug-in the device first and run the following command:

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /dos

Option 1.8 Slow way to backup: (you might run out of space in the windows formatted drive so don't do this unless you have little or no recording and your Tivo drive capacity is small)

backup -6Tao /dos/mybackup.bak /dev/hdc

Option 1.9 Fast way but will loose all your recordings: (This option is the most common way to make a backup for safe keeping)

backup -f 9999 -6so /dos/mybackup.bak /dev/hdc

Your backup file name is called backup.bak.

Series 2 & 3 Restore from a File
First you need to mount dos or windows formatted drive if it's not already mounted:

To mount on primary master, connect windows formatted drive on primary master and run the following command:

To mount a USB external drive, USB thumb stick or SATA drive, plug-in the device first and run the following command:

Option 1.10 Restore to original size:

restore -s 128 -zpi /dos/mybackup.bak /dev/hdd

Option 1.11 Expand size: (Most common option)

restore -s 128 -r 4 -xzpi /dos/mybackup.bak /dev/hdd

Series 1:

Disk to Disk Copy

If want to mount root or var ext2 file system you have to choose boot option
2 (Byteswapping is turned on). For most people, boot with option 1 works
(Byteswapping is off).

Slow way but preserves recordings:

Option 1.13 To copy everything from original size Tivo to another and keep the same capacity:

backup -qTao - /dev/hdc | restore -s 127 -nzpi - /dev/hdd

Option 1.14 To copy everything from original size Tivo drive to another and expand
capacity but limit the drive to 137GB

backup -qTao - /dev/hdc | restore -s 127 -nxzpi - /dev/hdd

Option 1.15 To copy everything from original size Tivo drive to another and expand
capacity: (Won't be able to boot w/o copying lba48 aware linux kernel.)

backup -qTao - /dev/hdc | restore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdd

Option 1.16 To copy everything from expanded Tivo drive to another bigger drive but limit the drive to 137GB. Your drive has to be expanded with -x option first before using -f option. If you get "Backup target not large enough" error, chances are you will need to use this command.

Option 1.17 To copy everything from expanded Tivo drive to another bigger drive. Your drive has to be expanded with -x option first before using -f option. If you get "Backup target not large enough" error, chances are you will need to use this command. You won't be able to boot w/o copying lba48 aware linux kernel.

Fast but loose recordings:

Option 1.18 To make a truncated copy from Tivo drive to another and keep the same capacity:

backup -qso - /dev/hdc | restore -s 127 -zpi - /dev/hdd

Option 1.19 To make a truncated copy from Tivo drive to another and expand capacity but limit the drive to 137GB:

backup -qso - /dev/hdc | restore -s 127 -nxzpi - /dev/hdd

Option 1.20 To make a truncated copy from Tivo drive to another and expand capacity: (Won't be able to boot w/o copying lba48 aware linux kernel.)

backup -qso - /dev/hdc | restore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdd

Series 1 Backup to a File (always use boot option 1 to avoid confusion)
First you need to mount dos or windows formatted drive:

Option 1.21 Slow full backup: (you might run out of space in the windows formatted drive so don't do this unless you have little or no recording and your Tivo drive capacity is small)

backup -6Tao /dos/mybackup.bak /dev/hdc

Option 1.22 Fast backup but loose recordings aka. truncated backup:

backup -6so /dos/mybackup.bak /dev/hdc

Series 1 Restore from a File
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Boot option 1: (byte swapping off, dma on and fast)
Choose options from here if you are not sure.

First you need to mount dos or windows formatted drive if it's not already mounted:

Option 1.23 Restore to original size:

restore -s 127 -zpi /dos/backupfile.bak /dev/hdd

Option 1.24 Restore and expand but limit the size to lba28(137GB):

restore -s 127 -nxzpi /dos/backupfile.bak /dev/hdd

Option 1.25 Rrestore and expand with no limit: (you can't boot this w/o installing hacked kernel)

restore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi /dos/backupfile.bak /dev/hdd
Old 02-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
Ham Bone

Really nobody?????
Old 02-13-2014, 06:42 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Really nobody?????
How about I supply you an image already ready for drives bigger than 137GB and you restore it with WinMFS running on XP?

Old 02-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
unitron

Either way, do the restore without expanding.

Then test, if not in the TiVo, at least with

mfsinfo

Then you can expand as a separate step with

mfsadd

Old 02-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #9
Ham Bone

That would be great!!
Old 02-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
That would be great!!
Check your private messages here.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #11
Ham Bone

Thanks! tried to pm back but won't let me, not enough posts. I will work on it now and get back to you ASAP
Old 02-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #12
Ham Bone

I think it worked! I need to put back together and let it do it's call thing but it works! Thanks you so much!
Old 02-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
I think it worked! I need to put back together and let it do it's call thing but it works! Thanks you so much!
Great!

Old 02-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #14
Ham Bone

Well back together and it won't dial out for some reason. Is there any way to bypass the enitial setup screen?
Old 02-14-2014, 06:28 AM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Well back together and it won't dial out for some reason. Is there any way to bypass the enitial setup screen?
Has/had it previously been working okay over the telephone line?

Is it a "real" telephone line?

The internal modems on S1s are notoriously fragile, subject to getting destroyed by spikes on the phone line that other things on the phone line don't even notice.

But there are ways around that.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:48 AM   #16
Ham Bone

years ago it was a real phone line and now it's a cellphone line modem so I'm guessing that's why it won't work so I will either need to find someone who has one or try a work around. The only work around I could find is chopping up a cable and connecting it to a pc.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #17
unitron

Quote:
years ago it was a real phone line and now it's a cellphone line modem so I'm guessing that's why it won't work so I will either need to find someone who has one or try a work around. The only work around I could find is chopping up a cable and connecting it to a pc.
Can you listen in and hear if it's trying to connect like you can with a regular phone?

Is that cell phone thing your regular internet connection also?

Have you played with any of the dial prefix settings to try a lower modem speed?

Old 02-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #18
Ham Bone

I hear it trying but it just does not go through. Do you happen to have and image after the setup???
Old 02-20-2014, 09:19 PM   #19
Ham Bone

Tried this word for word http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_disablecallsetup.php
except for the "video-in patch" at the end because link is dead and still boots at setup.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:07 AM   #20
unitron

Quote:
Tried this word for word http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_disablecallsetup.php
except for the "video-in patch" at the end because link is dead and still boots at setup.
If you have a cable put togther that lets you access the TiVo from a telnet session on your PC, then you should be able to use that same cable to let the TiVo use your PC's internet connection instead of the phone.

I think it's called PPP or something, give me a little time to search for where I last saw how to do it--it's been a few years.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:27 AM   #21
unitron

Try this page:

http://www.b-lan.com/otto/tivo3xp/