TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-05-2010, 07:23 AM   #121
dlfl
Cranky old novice

The TA Diagnostics Screen document, as quoted in my post #19, states that a sub expires date less than 20 days in the future indicates a problem. I just realized that most of my "painless" updates (automatic with no reboot) have occurred exactly when the date is 20 days in the future. Maybe they have built that limit into their scripts.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #122
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Another sub expires update early this morning, from 0705022800 to 0712144000. My confidence is building!

and
Old 06-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #123
SASouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Another sub expires update early this morning, from 0705022800 to 0712144000. My confidence is building!
I got a sub expires update too. It's now at 0714.172800.

Are we ready to declare victory?
SASouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:03 AM   #124
jmaditto

Got mine too

Mine just "renewed" on its own this week. I was away and knew I was to expire on 6/24 and expected to find my TA's in the dreaded 8 blink sequence when much to my surprise they were locked in solid. Everything tuned so I checked the date and now it show 7/23. Guess TWC fixed something on their end.
jmaditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #125
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Not 8-blinks -- but not good

My Sub Expires date has been updating itself nicely, currently at 0804.xxxxxx.
However at 7:05 pm today while watching Netflix, the "A Tuning Adapter has connected to your TiVo" message screen popped up. Not only did it interrupt my Netflix but all SDV channels were gone, I lost a recording in progress on an SDV channel, and the TA light was blinking (continuously I think but didn't check it carefully). I went into TA Diagnostics and saw the boot time had updated to the present time but the Sub Expires time had not changed, nor had the TA firmware version changed. (Thus what possible purpose could there have been for this reboot?)

I was just about to cycle the USB cable in hopes of triggering "acquiring channels" to regain the SDV channels, when the same message screen popped up again and after I continued all was OK. Very strange.

This happened previously on May 24th in the wee hours of the morning, so I wasn't there to observe it -- just noticed the updated reboot time/date the next day.

and
Old 08-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #126
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Has anyone else in SW Ohio been experiencing 2 to 4 SDV channels missing? This has happened twice in the last week for me. Multiple reboots of TiVo and TA and phone calls to TWC, including NCCS in the second case, did not bring them back. Then maybe an hour or two later they just reappeared. In both cases the same two channels were involved: 1354 (MNBCHD) and 1355 (CNBCHD).

The 8-blink (Sub expires) problem seems to be gone, but this missing channel thing is an even bigger time waster!

and
Old 09-17-2010, 07:56 AM   #127
realityboy

About 3 weeks ago, I had one of my TA blinking 8 times. The sub was expired, but since it was summer, and I'm not really watching any TV, I didn't bother to call TW. Today, it was updated with an expiration of 10/13 and is working fine. So apparently the problem does eventually resolve itself with enough patience.
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #128
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Are the "troubles" back?

I had been getting Sub Expires updates every Thurs. or Fri. since late May, moving the date out 20 days or more. Now Sub Expires is stuck at 10/05/2010, only about a week from now.

Is anyone else in TWC SW OH seeing this?

and
Old 09-28-2010, 07:25 PM   #129
bobrt6676

Quote:
I had been getting Sub Expires updates every Thurs. or Fri. since late May, moving the date out 20 days or more. Now Sub Expires is stuck at 10/05/2010, only about a week from now.

my subs all are 10/24. I have had no 8-blinks this summer. Yeah!!
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #130
SASouth

Quote:

Mine are both at 10/27.
SASouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #131
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Sure enough, at the Sub Expires time tonight, I got the 8-blinks. But I got it fixed almost painlessly for once -- see **this post** for details.

and
Old 12-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #132
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Arrrghhh! After three years of being renewed automatically, my TA's sub expires date was not renewed and expired on 12/8/13. And when I called support to ask for a customer balancing screen hit, I was told their computer system was down and they couldn't perform that function. It was 14 hours before I could it done.

My sub expires date was then reset to 1/7/14 and it hasn't been updated yet, which it normally should be by now. So I expect I'm back to having to call support every month on this.

I'm resurrecting this thread to see if anyone else on TWC Southwest Ohio has started having the problem again.

and
Old 01-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #133
dlfl
Cranky old novice

My date was still 1/7 today so rather than let it expire I called . The CSR rebooted my TA (which I don't think is really necessary for this) and then transferred me to the TWC national cable card desk. They said they are aware of a general problem in SW Ohio and think it may be related to preparations to push a new TA software version, which is planned nationally.

They said there have been lots of service calls due to this --- seems funny no one else has posted on it.

Anyway my date has now been pushed out to 2/2/2014.

and
Old 01-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #134
ikey78

Quote:
My date was still 1/7 today so rather than let it expire I called . The CSR rebooted my TA (which I don't think is really necessary for this) and then transferred me to the TWC national cable card desk. They said they are aware of a general problem in SW Ohio and think it may be related to preparations to push a new TA software version, which is planned nationally.

They said there have been lots of service calls due to this --- seems funny no one else has posted on it.

Anyway my date has now been pushed out to 2/2/2014.
I have been having the same issues with my two TA's in SW Ohio for years as well. I have called the Cable Card/Tuning adapter support to request hits so many times that the reps often remember me.

As with your experience it will work fine for many months and then not auto renew and I have to make a call. This happened last in December 2013. At first they could not get one of the boxes to take the hit successfully and he then did an Initialization which worked. A few months ago the hit would not work on the other of the two TA's and I was told to replace the hardware which worked. I am wondering if Initialization would have avoided that trip to the TW store.

I have also been told of a planned software upgrade to fix this problem. I think they said it is supposed to go from version 15 to 16.

I have looked into swapping the boxes for Roamio's but it does not look like it will take care of this issue. The Series 3's have actually been working fine for many years other than this irritating TA problem.
ikey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #135
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey78 View Post
I have also been told of a planned software upgrade to fix this problem. I think they said it is supposed to go from version 15 to 16.

I have looked into swapping the boxes for Roamio's but it does not look like it will take care of this issue. The Series 3's have actually been working fine for many years other than this irritating TA problem.
The national desk told me the planned software upgrade was to F.1901, but they didn't say it was to address this problem. Rather, they said it was to address timing problems causing tuning failures on Roamio's (which hopefully will also fix occasional SDV tuning failures on Tivo HD's). Any software upgrade will have to be pushed by each TWC region -- lot's of luck for us!

If my Sub Expires date fails to be updated again, I'm going to make a vigorous complaint to the national desk.

and
Old 02-19-2014, 10:49 AM   #136
dlfl
Cranky old novice

My TA sub was going to expire on 2/20/14 so had to call the national CC help desk again yesterday and have them update it out to 3/20/14. This required power-cycling the TA and cycling the USB connection to the Tivo. They sent the signal while the TA was rebooting. I asked if they couldn't do this without having to power cycle the TA and they said that only works about 50% of the time.

I "vigorously" (but politely) complained that this was the third time I've had to do this and wouldn't it make sense to notify my local TWC that I had a problem needing fixing? I got the same spiel as before: that the TWC systems are updating TA software to F.1901 -- although I can't see how that would explain my TA automatically updating for three years and now not doing so. My TA software has not been updated for years, still on F.1501.

They said they do get a lot of requests like mine from Ohio but the problem is random. It doesn't effect all users and whether it affects a particular user at a particular time is also random. Of course this is nearly the perfect excuse for doing nothing to correct the problem but I suppose it could be true.

At least calling the national desk gets me directly to someone who knows what to do, as opposed to calling local TWC and getting someone who never heard of a TA, and hoping they can transfer me to someone who knows something.

and
Old 02-20-2014, 11:45 PM   #137
dlfl
Cranky old novice

They just pushed a TA update to F.1901. Now that excuse will no longer be available if my Sub Expires date again is not updated!

and
Old 03-01-2014, 07:19 AM   #138
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Well glory be! Just noticed my Sub Expires date has (automatically) been pushed out to 3/30/14 ! Guess the national help desk was right!

and