TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-20-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Will a Series 2 play nice with Roamio or Premiere?

Can you transfer recordings from the newer TiVo's (Roamio & Premiere) to a series 2 Tivo? It's a TCD649080

I have ever the opportunity to get a series 2 that has lifetime and I'm interested in putting it in my office/workroom and hopefully just watch recorded content from my other TiVo's that are on cable. Will it only work for non-hd content or will it work with HD recordings?

Since the series 2 has ethernet and would connected to my network just no cable since my cable company is all digital. I could get another mini but prefer not to If this cheap series 2 with lifetime will work with the newer series 4 & 5.

Just curious if it would be worth getting, again it would be just for casual viewing existing recordings and not live channels.

Thanks!
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
WhiskeyTango

You can only transfer SD content to an S2.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

So it HD content simply won't transfer or it will but can't be played once it gets transfered?

I found a couple series 2 lifetime locally for $50 each, just not sure if it worth the hassle. If it weren't for the outrageous eBay fees including PayPal, I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble.

Thanks!
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
So it HD content simply won't transfer or it will but can't be played once it gets transfered?

I found a couple series 2 lifetime locally for $50 each, just not sure if it worth the hassle. If it weren't for the outrageous eBay fees including PayPal, I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble.

Thanks!
You can't transfer the HD content to a Series 2, the Tivo won't allow it. It will have the red circle with a slash through it on those recordings and tell you that it is not compatible.

If you have certain shows that you plan to watch in the room where you want to put the S2, you could always record them in SD just for that purpose. If you want to be able to choose any recording to transfer, then this setup won't work for you.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:39 PM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

You can transfer the recordings from the HD TiVo to your PC with pyTivo, and then from the PC to the Series 2, and pyTivo will downconvert them for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote