TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
mcgroarty

Roamio Pro + 2 TiVo minis = constant network activity

I have a Roamio Pro and two TiVo Minis. They're on a wired gigabit network (100mbit to these nodes, of course). It all works flawlessly from a user perspective; no drops or "too slow" errors as when I tried an 802.11n bridge.

I'm curious though: The network is constantly active, as seen by activity lights on the switch ports for the TiVos. Is this normal?

I've tried restarting the TiVo Minis by temporarily removing power. The network quiets for a while, then I start seeing it flash steadily again a few minutes later. The activity rate looks identical to when watching a recording or streaming live TV. But this occurs even when I haven't watched live TV since last restarting the Mini.

I tried pressing the TiVo button twice, as the manual suggested that this releases a tuner with the Premiere. I'm not sure if it should apply to the Roamio Pro as well. Regardless, the two presses don't make a difference.

Any clue why the traffic's there?
mcgroarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:20 PM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Tivos are pretty "chatty" these days.

Ive got a Roamio Pro and an XL4 temporarily sitting side by side as I'm transitioning. The only thing going on right now is that the Roamio is recording two shows.... and Im watching a recording of a previous show. The mini that is paired with the XL4 (via moca) hasnt been used for like 22 hours....

The Gigabit switch to which they are the only things connected to (well, plus a connection to my ethernet network) is a light show.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
mcgroarty

I haven't found a permanent fix for this so far. Does anyone have a contact at TiVo who might be able to nudge engineers to take a look and see if it's something they could fix, or to offer an explanation?

The traffic isn't crippling me by any means, but it does compete with other machines. It would be a real nuissance for anyone using a wireless bridge, supported or not.
mcgroarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Have you measured the activity? Blinky doesn't really mean anything.

The pacing of network activity lights used to have meaning... now its generally just blinking if there theres any activity.

So, going by the lights, it doesn't mean anything bandwidth-wise. If they're are just saying "Hi" back and forth once a second, its going to look dramatic, but...
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
bparker

Maybe I can borrow a network analyzer once I get mine setup.
bparker is offline   Reply With Quote