TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
Ichinisan

Using dual-tuner series 2 with a DTA...

I work for a small cable ISP in Newnan, GA. We're in the process of making our Expanded Basic channels (21-99) digital-only. Most of the analog channels have been cut-off and few remaining are simulcast in digital.

Channels 2-20 (Basic) will remain available in analog. This includes local broadcast stations, CSPAN, home shopping networks, etc.

I've spoken with a couple customers that had been using an IR blaster with an Explorer set-top box. Connections are as follows:

- The RF feed from the wall goes to a splitter
- One leg of the splitter goes to the Explorer STB
- One leg of the splitter goes to the TiVo
- The STB connects to the TiVo with composite video (yellow connector)
- TiVo controls the STB with the IR blaster

The TiVo already knew to use the STB when tuning channels over 99. We need that behavior to be adjusted *slightly* so it tunes channels over 20 with the STB instead of trying to use the internal tuner.

I'm told by our field techs that the TiVo keeps trying to use the internal tuner for channels 21-99, even though most of those channels are no longer available. I don't have direct access to a series 2 TiVo to test.

I contacted a TiVo rep using a hotline for TV service providers, but the guy I spoke with said the TiVo should do it automatically and couldn't help.

What should I suggest for the customer to try?
Ichinisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

It sounds like you are using a dual tuner model series 2. If that is the case, you can go into the channel list and change the check marks around for channels 21 to 99. They will now be BOX instead of Cable.

The older single tuner S2 boxes don't have this feature and may only work with just the Box OR the Cable, but not both. If channels 2-20 are available through the box or DTA, then that is no problem, the TiVo will just get everything there.

Even the dual tuner TiVo can be operated this way, just tell it that the only input is the box and have it get everything from there.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichinisan View Post
The TiVo already knew to use the STB when tuning channels over 99. We need that behavior to be adjusted *slightly* so it tunes channels over 20 with the STB instead of trying to use the internal tuner.

I'm told by our field techs that the TiVo keeps trying to use the internal tuner for channels 21-99, even though most of those channels are no longer available. I don't have direct access to a series 2 TiVo to test.

I contacted a TiVo rep using a hotline for TV service providers, but the guy I spoke with said the TiVo should do it automatically and couldn't help.

What should I suggest for the customer to try?
As it is now, the 'channels I receive' list needs to be edited so that channels 21-99 for box are checked and unchecked for cbl (cable).
But the Tivo rep was correct. Your published lineup as used by Tribune Media Services should only have channels 2-20 available for analog cable. Your customers may have to go through the channel setup again to get the correct lineup - if it exists.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMark View Post
It sounds like you are using a dual tuner model series 2.
No question about it, they most definitely are discussing the dual tuner S2 as indicated by the thread title.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #5
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Doh!
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
No question about it, they most definitely are discussing the dual tuner S2 as indicated by the thread title.
What I'm curious about is whether they'll still continue to function as dual tuner units, i.e., recording one of those 20 remaining analog channels via the RF input and simultaneously recording on of the digital channels via the Explorer set-top box inputting on the line-level inputs on the TiVo.

In other words, are they going to be dual tuner dual tuner units or single tuner dual tuner units?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #7
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
What I'm curious about is whether they'll still continue to function as dual tuner units, i.e., recording one of those 20 remaining analog channels via the RF input and simultaneously recording on of the digital channels via the Explorer set-top box inputting on the line-level inputs on the TiVo.

In other words, are they going to be dual tuner dual tuner units or single tuner dual tuner units?
It will that's why you have to tell it whats box only and what's not will record 2 none box at once or 1 box and 1 non at once but can't 2 box only at once.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:25 PM   #8
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

???
That's how the DT S2 has operated since day one in 2006
Old 02-21-2014, 01:35 AM   #9
unitron

So there's something in Guided Setup for S2s that lets you tell it that you get cable straight from the co-ax AND from a cable box? From the same cable company?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:20 AM   #10
ggieseke

Quote:
So there's something in Guided Setup for S2s that lets you tell it that you get cable straight from the co-ax AND from a cable box? From the same cable company?
On 649s, yes.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote