TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #31
rfryar
My Media, My Way

I had a similar problem where the mini worked with my Netgear switch during set up and then stopped working. Turned out I had to replace the ethernet cable that shipped with the mini to a different cable.

I have had issues on my Gigabit lan with bad cables in the past.. Strange that is worked at first and then failed. The only thing I can think of is the mini starts up as 10 Mb, and then switches to 100Mb after the first connection/update and the cable failed at those speeds with the cable shipped.

Rcik
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #32
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I actually happen to be using a D-link Gigabit switch. I don't have any other switches. It's a newer switch that supposedly has some energy saving features, so I do wonder if there's a setting I could change on the switch to disable energy saver mode. I suspect that could be causing the delayed responsiveness.

In the end it's going to be pretty much academic to me if MoCA works better.
It is highly unlikely the switch can be changed in that regard unless it is a fully managed switch. What is the switch model #?
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #33
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
It is highly unlikely the switch can be changed in that regard unless it is a fully managed switch. What is the switch model #?
I think it's a DGS-1005G
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #34
jmpage2

Quote:
I think it's a DGS-1005G
That's an unmanaged switch, meaning, you can't set anything on it.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #35
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
That's an unmanaged switch, meaning, you can't set anything on it.
Figured as much. Thanks
Old 04-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #36
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I think it's a DGS-1005G
My switches are the newer Dlink 5 and 8 port switches. That same model number has applied to several different designs.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #37
Finalrinse

I've had two Ethernet cables fail in the last couple of days. I don't understand what fails in the cable? The cables were not touched, no kinks, still look like new, but they fail?
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #38
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalrinse View Post
I've had two Ethernet cables fail in the last couple of days. I don't understand what fails in the cable? The cables were not touched, no kinks, still look like new, but they fail?
You'd have to be more specific. The most likely way that a cable "fails" is if the crimped on connector at the end (RJ45) gets pulled enough that there is a gap between the wire end and the metal tooth in the RJ45.

Other reasons for cable failure include doing things like bending, crimping or tightly rolling a cable.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #39
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalrinse View Post
I had a bunch of Cat6 cables fail from Monoprice. So I made sure not to buy any more and went back to buying Cat5e cables from them. Which is all I needed for gigabit anyway. I had purchased a dozen or so a while back and around nine of them failed on me over several weeks.

I move my connections around several times a month. So the Monoprice Cat6 cables are very rigid and the connection was getting messed up creating an open on some of the wires at the connector since they were so rigid. I've never had that issue with the thousands of cat6 cables we've used at work over the years. But those are also alot more expensive than the Monoprice ones.

I should have never stopped using the Monoprice Cat5e cables anyway. I'm using over eighty of them between my place and my GFs place and they have always worked great over the years.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #40
Finalrinse

I also use monoprice cables, and have good luck with them. Thanks for the tip about there cat6 cables.
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #41
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Ethernet cables spontaneously failing is not a very common problem. I'm starting to suspect there is something a bit flaky about the Ethernet port on the Mini.

While dealing with my Mini problems, I've noticed that just brushing against the Ethernet cable can make it lose link. My usual problem is I pull the power cord from the back and reconnect it (which I've probably done more than anyone on the planet aside from Tivo employees) and when it reboots it has no link, so I wiggle it around a bit or maybe unplug/plug and it works. At first I thought it was the cable, or that it was only one of my Minis, but it's definitely happened with 3 different cables (which I believe are of differing providence), and using 3 different switches, and I think it's now happened on all 4 of my Minis. That is unusual for ethernet connections in my experience - if you don't insert the cable fully that's one thing, but once it "clicks" into place it's usually a very solid connection and even pulling on the cord won't disrupt it.
todd_j_derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #42
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_j_derr View Post
Ethernet cables spontaneously failing is not a very common problem. I'm starting to suspect there is something a bit flaky about the Ethernet port on the Mini.

While dealing with my Mini problems, I've noticed that just brushing against the Ethernet cable can make it lose link. My usual problem is I pull the power cord from the back and reconnect it (which I've probably done more than anyone on the planet aside from Tivo employees) and when it reboots it has no link, so I wiggle it around a bit or maybe unplug/plug and it works. At first I thought it was the cable, or that it was only one of my Minis, but it's definitely happened with 3 different cables (which I believe are of differing providence), and using 3 different switches, and I think it's now happened on all 4 of my Minis. That is unusual for ethernet connections in my experience - if you don't insert the cable fully that's one thing, but once it "clicks" into place it's usually a very solid connection and even pulling on the cord won't disrupt it.
That sounds like you need to take your Mini back and exchange it.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #43
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
If it wasn't happening on all 4 of them, I'd tend to agree, but...
todd_j_derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:27 PM   #44
jfh3

FWIW, I changed all the Ethernet cables in my house to Monoprice cat6 cables about a year ago and haven't seen any problems.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #45
Loach

Quote:
I've had my 2nd Mini running for about 10 days now off an Ethernet switch that's bridged off my P4. It's working fine, except that when I first go to use it, it's unresponsive to remote control commands for about the first 25-35 seconds. That may not sound like long, but it seems like an eternity when you're pushing remote buttons with nothing happening. My other Mini connected by MoCA is responsive immediately.

I'm wondering if its taking awhile for the switch to realize that the Mini has "woken up". I think I'm going to try it with MoCA.
I finally got around to changing my 2nd Mini to a MoCA connection and have had it running that way for about a week. Unfortunately, it behaves exactly the same way it was when I had it connected to the Ethernet switch - unresponsive to remote commands for about 30 seconds or so, then it works fine after that. So it apparently has nothing to do with the Ethernet switch I was using.

Not sure why my other Mini seems to "wake up" quicker.

EDIT: I believe I've narrowed the problem to the Universal Remote Control. The Mini is pretty much instantly responsive to the Tivo peanut remote, but doesn't seem to like the MX-600 until:

1. 30 seconds or so have passed
or
2. I've "awakened" the Mini with a button press from the peanut

It's sort of bizarre to me that the URC works just fine after that. Perhaps the peanut's IR signal is much stronger than the URC's and the Mini needs a strong kick in the pants to wake up? Maybe, but one of the commands programmed into the URC's "on" macro is the Tivo button, and the Mini seems to respond just fine to that the Mini always goes right to the main menu even when it's been dormant for hours or days. It's the 2nd command from URC that it doesn't seem to want to respond to. I'm pretty much baffled.

Last edited by Loach : 04-25-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #46
Neilwltr

Must have all units on either one router or one switch

in reply to the person that had a gig switch and router - plug all your tivo devices into the gig switch - this includes any and all mini's - connect port 1 of the gig switch to the router - remember you want maximum file transfer speed "within" your network - going to the outside internet will ALWAYS depend on your ISP bandwidth capability....
Neilwltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #47
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

I know this is an older message thread however i thought I would offer a little insight to problem some people may have with using Gb switches. Many of the older 10/100 ethernet devices can not properly connect to the unmanaged residental Gb ethernet switchs. The issue is in the auto-negotiation of the ethernet port, for example I had a older 10/100 Dlink switch that I connected to unmanaged Gb switch, the link lights lite up and the activity lights would flicker however nothing attached to the 10/100 Dlink switch could communicate.

The reason is that unless the older slower device has the internal drive support to properly connect at slower speeds, the unmanaged Gb switch will "fool" the older device into thinking it's connected when in fact it's not. This is just a limitation of some older 10/100 devices not having the ability to properly handshake physically to newer Gb ethernet enter face, the work around is using a managed Gb switch were you can manually set the speed of the particular port to 10 or 100mb instead of allowing it to automatically detect the ethernet speed.

You may think it is a cable problem but that usually isn't the case, it's just the older ethernet device not being able to communicate to the newer, faster ethernet device unless the newer Gb switch can be told to slow down and not use Gb ethernet for that connection. It will drive you nuts if you aren't aware of this technical incompatibility.

Now with that, I would be surprised if the Mini can't properly auto-negotiate to most unmanaged Gb ethernet switches. You will usually only see this problem with older ethernet interface devices (ones that are several years older or older). Most Gb interfaces on residental routers and switches are unmanaged in the sense you can't turn off ethernet auto-negotiation.

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #48
aaronwt
HD Addict

I can't say I've run into this before. I initally used Linksys gigabit unmanaged switches when they first came out for residential. They were huge and had a fan in them. Then I switched all of those out to a bunch of Netgear gigE switches. Then I switched those out to all Dlink. And then I switched all my old Dlink GigE switches to the newer design Dlink GigE switches. i now run around 15 of the newer Dlink GigE switches. But in all that time I've not had any issues connecting 10/100 devices to the GigE switches.

The only issue I had was actually with the Roamio Pro when it first came out. But that was with the green GigE switches which were my newest Dlinks. And that was a TiVo issue which was fixed with an update.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #49
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

If you want a real gigabit switch, check out Nortel 5510 switches on eBay, I picked on up for $25 for at 24t switch which has 24 ports of 10/100/1000 managed ethernet ports and Gb sfp ports. They are more user friendly as they have a Web interface and a Java device Manger that runs on both Windows and Linux. They are true layer 3 Routing switches which means you can do some cool things if you know how.

Very nice, granted they are older, made around 2009 but much easier to work with if you aren't a network guru. You can get similer older Cisco interprise type switch too,. These things were +2 grand switches when they were new.

Another issue with these is that they are large full size rack mount switches not to mention they make a lot of noise. I have mine downstairs in the basement storage room were room and noise isn't a problem.

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #50
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
If you want a real gigabit switch, check out Nortel 5510 switches on eBay, I picked on up for $25 for at 24t switch which has 24 ports of 10/100/1000 managed ethernet ports and Gb sfp ports. They are more user friendly as they have a Web interface and a Java device Manger that runs on both Windows and Linux. They are true layer 3 Routing switches which means you can do some cool things if you know how.

Very nice, granted they are older, made around 2009 but much easier to work with if you aren't a network guru. You can get similer older Cisco interprise type switch too,. These things were +2 grand switches when they were new.

Another issue with these is that they are large full size rack mount switches not to mention they make a lot of noise. I have mine downstairs in the basement storage room were room and noise isn't a problem.
Well those are enterprise switches which just aren't practical for 99% of residential users. I'm very knowledgeable on networking (CCNA certified, Juniper certified, etc) and consider switches like that overkill for most home networking situations.

In addition to the size and noise you mention there is also the issue of those switches typically being power sucking monsters. I don't know what the power draw on your particular model is but power draw of 100-200 watts is not unusual in those units. That can amount to a $10-$15 a month electrical bill for a device that runs 24/7 when compared to a green gigabit 24 port switch that uses 8-12 watts.