TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
AlpacaLips

Replace HD from 652160 with one from another 652160?

I have a TiVo HD with lifetime service and symptoms of a failed hard drive (stuttering, temporary freezing, pixelation immediately before and after freezes and "Fail 7" result on kickstart 54 tests). I have a My DVR Expander but it checks out fine in the drive tests. I haven't opened it yet to see if the power supply has any damaged capacitors, but I'm assuming it's OK for now.

Question: I want to spend a minimum amount of money to repair the TiVo HD's hard drive. A local seller has a used one for $40 (including power cord, remote, and network adapter) which they say works without any problems. If I buy the used TiVo HD, could I just put its hard drive in my TiVo HD without reformatting hassles? I assume it would require unpairing the Expander and that I'd lose all the existing recorded content. I also realize this has some risk because I don't know how long the used drive would last, but a new drive is more than I want to pay at this point.

While I have the box open I would also check the power supply and replace caps as necessary. (Or if I have bad caps and I'm feeling lazy, maybe just put the ps from the used unit I buy into mine.)

Are there any other pitfalls I should beware of?

I STF and suspect this has been covered before but I didn't find it.
AlpacaLips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You must run Clear & Delete Everything to marry another drive to the Tivo. It would last a few years longer if it was a new drive. You would use WinMFS to copy and restore to a new drive. That would also add more recording space as well.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:30 PM   #3
AlpacaLips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You must run Clear & Delete Everything to marry another drive to the Tivo. It would last a few years longer if it was a new drive. You would use WinMFS to copy and restore to a new drive. That would also add more recording space as well.
Thanks. I'm sure I'll upgrade the drive with a new one eventually, but since I already have the working external drive increasing the capacity isn't a priority. But I'm thinking that at $40, (plus the other included parts I might use someday) this would be a good solution even if there is some risk of an earlier failure.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Using the external will only increase your chances of either drive failing and losing most of your recordings. Its better to use 1 bigger drive than 2 smaller drives. You will be able to copy the filled drive to another when its a single and its much harder on 2.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
AlpacaLips

Agreed. But since I'm using this to watch dumb TV shows on a secondary tv I'm not too worried about losing recordings. If I have more money to blow the next time it fails I'll undoubtedly upgrade the hard drive and ditch the external.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:31 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpacaLips View Post
Agreed. But since I'm using this to watch dumb TV shows on a secondary tv I'm not too worried about losing recordings. If I have more money to blow the next time it fails I'll undoubtedly upgrade the hard drive and ditch the external.
Or you could disassemble the external drive and use that one after overwriting it with a 652 image.

But it's betting against the odds not to eliminate "capacitor plague" in the power supply as a problem before doing any other troubleshooting, because that's the most likely cause of almost any S2/S3 problem (although aging original hard drive is starting to run a closer second recently--but there's no law that says it can't be both)

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #7
AlpacaLips

Well, I bought the used TiVo HD. Looks like the power supply has a popped cap, but I put its hard drive in my original unit and it is performing flawlessly.

Good to go now, for a while anyway.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:09 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpacaLips View Post
Well, I bought the used TiVo HD. Looks like the power supply has a popped cap, but I put its hard drive in my original unit and it is performing flawlessly.

Good to go now, for a while anyway.
That power supply isn't going to heal itself.

See which of the two possible power supply models you have, find the cap list that's posted around here somewhere, and either have them on hand when the inevitable happens, or do the replacement now and head trouble off at the pass.

I have learned that replacing the one bulged one only means having to deal with another one down the road.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote