TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
Schmye Bubbula

Season Pass to record only one show at same time as others?

Now that I have four tuners in my new Roamio, is there a way I can I set up Season Passes for shows that may not broadcast one night, and have it default to an alternative, but not record the alternative when the first show does appear? Such as weekend news broadcasts that often get preempted. With my old one-tuner Series 2, I would just set up two or more Season Passes for shows that broadcast at the same time in order of preference, and only one would record. But now with four tuners, they all would record. Is there a trick? Or is it no longer possible?
Schmye Bubbula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmye Bubbula View Post
Now that I have four tuners in my new Roamio, is there a way I can I set up Season Passes for shows that may not broadcast one night, and have it default to an alternative, but not record the alternative when the first show does appear? Such as weekend news broadcasts that often get preempted. With my old one-tuner Series 2, I would just set up two or more Season Passes for shows that broadcast at the same time in order of preference, and only one would record. But now with four tuners, they all would record. Is there a trick? Or is it no longer possible?
Assuming that the guide data is correct (including episode info), the multiple season passes won't all record. The first season pass (highest priority) will record the show, and all the others will not record because they are duplicate episodes. I do this all the time. I have four season passes for some shows, two HD on different PBS channels and two SD on sub-channels to catch a showing in the event that both HD versions are preempted.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #3
Schmye Bubbula

I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear. You're talking about multiple Season Passes for the same show; I'm talking about multiple Season Passes for different shows that broadcast at the same time. Here's an example: Weekend news shows get preempted a lot by sports. So say I've set up Season Passes for CBS, ABC & NBC, in that order priority, all broadcasting at 6:30 pm. I only want one of them to record because I only watch the news once each night. On my old one-tuner Series 2, only CBS would get recorded normally. But if CBS is preempted, then ABC will get recorded but not NBC. Or if both CBS & ABC are preempted, NBC would record. But on my new 4-tuner Roamio, all three will record when nothing gets preempted. I'm asking whether there's a trick to do the same logic I used to do on my Series 2.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
efilippi

But when CBS was preempted because of football or something, I would expect your old Tivo to have recorded the football game in error because the guide wouldn't have known of the problem.

No?
efilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
moonscape

Although more tuners means it's no longer possible the way you were doing it, this should solve your problem (if I'm understanding it correctly):

Make your news shows lowest priority (and in order of news preference) and set a season pass for each one. At least one of them will record unless you have 4 other shows recording with higher priority. Set each to record maximum one episode and you won't have to worry about deleting the excess as each will be deleted the next day when the new one records. Bonus: if there's a hot news story you will have another take from another network/source
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
javabird

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonscape View Post
Although more tuners means it's no longer possible the way you were doing it, this should solve your problem (if I'm understanding it correctly):

Make your news shows lowest priority (and in order of news preference) and set a season pass for each one. At least one of them will record unless you have 4 other shows recording with higher priority. Set each to record maximum one episode and you won't have to worry about deleting the excess as each will be deleted the next day when the new one records. Bonus: if there's a hot news story you will have another take from another network/source
This is what I have done and it works for me. (If there is a sports or other event on at the same time, the news show just doesn't get recorded, but there's usually at least one other channel that does get recorded).
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
Schmye Bubbula

OK, so I guess the upshot is that there's no other trick to get the same results as I did on the one-tuner TiVo — there's no way to prevent the other two lower-priority broadcasts from recording on a four-tuner TiVo when the first one isn't preempted. The most I can do is minimize the redundancy by setting each to record maximum one episode.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #8
efilippi

First world problem.

As I said above though, I don't understand how your old system worked either, except for scheduled preemption, and there must be one or two of them a year?
Old 02-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #9
moonscape

Quote:
results as I did on the one-tuner TiVo — there's no way to prevent the other two lower-priority broadcasts from recording on a four-tuner TiVo when the first one isn't preempted.
Yeah, the one-tuner didn't record more because it couldn't. The 4-tuner will record because it can.
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #10
mattack

I agree with both the previous messages..

But if you got REALLY tricky, you could PROBABLY make an autorecording wishlist that would do what you want. You essentially just want one of the national nightly newses to record a day, right?

Something like
(NBC•NIGHTLY•NEWS)|(CBS•EVENING•NEWS)|(ABC•WORLD•NEWS)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:34 AM   #11
L David Matheny

Quote:
OK, so I guess the upshot is that there's no other trick to get the same results as I did on the one-tuner TiVo — there's no way to prevent the other two lower-priority broadcasts from recording on a four-tuner TiVo when the first one isn't preempted. The most I can do is minimize the redundancy by setting each to record maximum one episode.
Is it really that hard to delete stuff you don't want? I do that a lot, although I usually have to watch a few minutes first.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #12
pautler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I agree with both the previous messages..

Something like
(NBC•NIGHTLY•NEWS)|(CBS•EVENING•NEWS)|(ABC•WORLD•NEWS)

I think that would still record all 3 of them though, wouldn't it?

I think the wishlist above would match and record all three because the "or" statements refer to what the wishlist should match, not what it should record.

In other words:
"record shows that match (x) or (y) or (z)"
not
"(record shows that match x) or (record shows that match y)
or (record shows that match z)"

-Joe
pautler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #13
pautler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pautler View Post
I think that would still record all 3 of them though, wouldn't it?

I think the wishlist above would match and record all three because the "or" statements refer to what the wishlist should match, not what it should record.

In other words:
"record shows that match (x) or (y) or (z)"
not
"(record shows that match x) or (record shows that match y)
or (record shows that match z)"

-Joe

Aaaahhhh, but if you told it to only keep 1 episode then that would give the desired effect. That's probably what you meant.

I agree with all of the other messages that the easiest way is to just set up a season pass for each one and set them to just keep 1 episode, but trying to come up with a creative way to get the other behavior is still a fun exercise.

-Joe
pautler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #14
Schmye Bubbula

Quote:
Originally Posted by efilippi View Post
As I said above though, I don't understand how your old system worked either, except for scheduled preemption, and there must be one or two of them a year?
I think there's a semantics problem here with "preemption" — unexpected & unscheduled vs. known beforehand & reflected in the TiVo schedule. I meant the latter. And in the case of weekend nightly news broadcasts, they're quite common.... Yeah, I'm just gonna have to get used to usually deleting two unwanted news broadcasts Saturdays & Sundays.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:01 PM   #15
efilippi

Ok, got ya.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:58 PM   #16
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pautler View Post
Aaaahhhh, but if you told it to only keep 1 episode then that would give the desired effect. That's probably what you meant.
Actually, I admittedly forgot that part. For some reason I was thinking a wishlist was a "first match", and couldn't match multiple items in one time slot. (I guess it can? Does anybody have absolute proof that it can?)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote