TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-18-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
mymaustivo

How do you get Tivo Desktop to retreive programs from 2nd Series 2?

I had a Series 2 that failed, but before it did I downloaded a bunch of shows off of it using Tivo Desktop. I can watch any of those programs. My sister recently gave me her 40 G Tivo with lifetime subscription and now I am trying to figure out how to download programs from that. The Tivo Desktop sees it but I get the following message:

There was an error while attempting to retrieve data form the selected DVR.

The TiVo DVRís Media Access Key does not match the key in the TiVo Desktop.

To authenticate this DVR for transfers over your home network, youíll need the Media Access Key to your account. Please choose Set Media Access Key from the file menu

When I go to change the MAK it tells me I will loose access to all of the programs that I downloaded from the other Tivo. Iíd like to keep access to those and I might even get the broken Tivo fixed. How do I do that and still download programs from the inherited Tivo?
mymaustivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #2
moedaman

Transfer the Tivo to your account. The MAK will change to your's and then it will work.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:00 AM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymaustivo View Post
When I go to change the MAK it tells me I will loose access to all of the programs that I downloaded from the other Tivo. Iíd like to keep access to those and I might even get the broken Tivo fixed. How do I do that and still download programs from the inherited Tivo?
You would only lose access to your existing downloaded recordings for as long as tivo desktop is set up with the other MAK, when you change it back, you'll regain the ability to play the older recordings.

However, any recordings from your old tivo can not be transferred to the new tivo unless you have the new tivo transferred to your account.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:25 AM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
<snip>However, any recordings from your old tivo can not be transferred to the new tivo unless you have the new tivo transferred to your account.
Not directly but if you transfer them to and decrypt them on the computer, they can be transferred to and played on any TiVo.

Still, it is best to transfer the TiVo to your account.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:26 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymaustivo View Post
I had a Series 2 that failed, but before it did I downloaded a bunch of shows off of it using Tivo Desktop. I can watch any of those programs. My sister recently gave me her 40 G Tivo with lifetime subscription and now I am trying to figure out how to download programs from that. The Tivo Desktop sees it but I get the following message:

There was an error while attempting to retrieve data form the selected DVR.

The TiVo DVRís Media Access Key does not match the key in the TiVo Desktop.

To authenticate this DVR for transfers over your home network, youíll need the Media Access Key to your account. Please choose Set Media Access Key from the file menu

TiVo Desktop puts the shows you transfer to PC into a folder called My TiVo Recordings.

You can move shows into and out of that folder, and you can put that folder on any drive connected to that PC's motherboard if you need more space.

If you move shows out of that folder to another folder with a different name, TiVo Desktop won't know where to find them even if it does want to mess with them.

So if you wanted to be super careful, you could create a new folder in the same partition where your MTR folder is now, and select all of the shows in the MTR folder, right-click, hold, and drag to the new folder, release, and then left-click "Move Here", and they'll all be in the new folder.

If you have more time and that partition is getting kinda full, you can move them to another folder on another partition or on another drive.

It takes longer to move them to another partition, on the same or some other drive, because then you're actually moving them and not just re-writing a header somewhere that says where the files are.

But as was pointed out, transferring your sister's TiVo to the same account at TiVo.com (your account) as your other TiVo is on will get the MAK for her TiVo changed to the one associated with your account, and then both TiVos and the PC will all be using the same MAK.

The shows themselves aren't tied to the MAK, they're tied to the TiVo Service Number of the TiVo which recorded them, but once you have a TiVo using the same MAK as your PC, you can copy those shows to the PC and then copy them from there to any other TiVo using the same MAK.

I would not recommend trying to do anything that involves changing your TiVo Desktop installation over the MAK currently being used by your sister's TiVo and then changing it back later. I think that's kind of uncharted territory, and if she really gave it to you and it's really yours, it really needs to be on your account anyway.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote