TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 117 votes, 4.97 average.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #961
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwacosta View Post
I live in Houston and my experience is much like yours. All six of my tuners work. I think I got a V58 error a couple of times, but it's very rare. The biggest problem is the missed recordings, up to 4 to 5 per week.

I contacted Comcast a couple of days ago thru comcastcares_support@comcast.com, got a callback the next day, and had updated firmware within a few hours. It's only been a couple of days, but so far I've had no problems.
Thanks for replying. I had no idea a cablecard firmware update could solve the missed recording problem, I thought it was for when you couldn't get all six tuners going. Missed recordings were being blamed on "hot signals" or some such nonsense.

I'll work on getting a firmware update too! Thanks
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #962
premus

I also contacted Comcast about two weeks ago at the same email address but haven't gotten anywhere. They keep telling me they have checked with engineering and tivo and their firmware is up to date. I'm still on PKEY1.5.2_F.p.1401. I'm in the Minneapolis, MN area. I tell them other customers have a newer firmware but I get the same response. How do you get to the right person at Comcast?
premus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #963
sketchr

Quote:
Originally Posted by premus View Post
I also contacted Comcast about two weeks ago at the same email address but haven't gotten anywhere. They keep telling me they have checked with engineering and tivo and their firmware is up to date. I'm still on PKEY1.5.2_F.p.1401. I'm in the Minneapolis, MN area. I tell them other customers have a newer firmware but I get the same response. How do you get to the right person at Comcast?
Email them again.
I'm in the twin cities burbs and received the update last week. I emailed them with my customer name address and card SN-important. Received call shortly after email and the rep told me the update wouldn't happen until late feb early march. However, later that afternoon my card was updated. Many people read the email I sent as I have outlook set up with read receipts. I received about 10 of them with that one email. One of them must have updated it. Just make sure your email contains your correct card SN.
sketchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:49 PM   #964
premus

Thanks for the info. Where did you find the S/N of the CableCard? Did you provide the one printed on the back of the CableCard or the Card Serial Number (L) in the dvr diagnostics screen of the Tivo? They are different values for me but end in the same last 6 letters.

I guess I can only hope the right person at Comcast stumbles over my email.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:23 AM   #965
sketchr

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Where did you find the S/N of the CableCard? Did you provide the one printed on the back of the CableCard or the Card Serial Number (L) in the dvr diagnostics screen of the Tivo? They are different values for me but end in the same last 6 letters.

I guess I can only hope the right person at Comcast stumbles over my email.
It's the one in the cablecard menu under setting. if I remember correctly it's on the same screen as the firmware detail. If it's a cisco card it should start with PK.
sketchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #966
mike-d

Smile

Quote:
Did you try: comcastcares_support@comcast.com? I had no success until I used that e-mail address.
mike-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #967
premus

Yes, that's the address I used. Glad to hear it has worked for some.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #968
bricketh

I have only had my TiVo Roamio Plus for a week, but I had been reading these threads in advance, and was aware that my SA Cablecards were at a release below what TiVo recommends, so I started early trying to get them updated. I reached out over the weekend prior to the Roamio arriving last Tuesday, but after checking my cards on Tuesday, I was still at 1.5.2.1601... I contacted the company again (a municipal-run MSO that offers FTTH services), and after talking with them for a bit, I was given a call back from the video tech. He said he would research getting the updated firmware targeted just for me, since I was the only known Roamio user that they had so far (at least with 6 tuners). They are very familiar with TiVo in general, as they rent Premieres and Streams (no Minis or 4 tuner units at this point), so I feel confident that they will work with me at this point. As I have the latest firmware that they have, they have to go through some internal approvals to get the newer supported version (I asked for 1.5.2.2801 or the latest revision available, as I saw the issues with 3001 posted). So far I was promised a call back with an update late last week, and I received it. I was promised another call back for mid-week, and am hoping to get one tomorrow or Thursday with another update on the status. I am hoping to get the update in the coming weeks, but 5 of the 6 tuners have been working without issue so far.

The odd thing has been that all 6 tuners show up, and report correctly in the Cablecard screens.... They also all can show different shows, but the first tuner would simply not allow me to record on it or change the channel on it...it would 'stick'. I wasn't sure what was causing this, as I thought the higher tuners would simply not be present, or would record garbage, but I decided to test it out further tonight... In my testing, I could record 5 shows on the other tuners, but tuner 1 only showed the same channel it was on (it was an on-demand channel that I landed on by mistake, when I mis-keyed on the remote). It showed all black screen, and I could land on it while the other shows we're recording, but if I tried to change the channel or hit record while on it, it would prompt me to stop a recording on the second tuner to do so. I decided that I would try to get it "unstuck" on that channel by using the "test channels" option in the Cablecard menu, which did the trick... Once I had it on a "real" channel, I tested again...same result, though. Then I remembered TiVoMargaret's post about the disabling/enabling tuners earlier in this thread, and it decided to try enabling 6 tuners (even though they were all enabled, as far as being able to watch all 6, but just not record to all 6). Doing that seemed to do the trick, at least temporarily. I had every tuner on a different channel, and then proceeded to record a show on each to confirm. All worked, and they all recorded for several minutes (5+) before I stopped it and tested the recordings. Everything seems to be fine for now... Not sure how it got disabled, unless it was something TiVo pushed out if a cablecard was below a certain level, but I haven't seen that mentioned in this thread, and can't imagine that is the case...

I doubt I will use 6 tuners at once, as I had added I back a couple of shows that had conflicted with the others I was already recording on the TiVo Premiere and Series 3, and I am only up to 5 shows at once on my busiest TV night (I think Thursdays, but to be honest, I have been using TiVo since 2000, and rarely even keep up with what night a show comes on anymore -- just watch it when it's on the box!). That all said, I believe there were others that had intermittent issues with 6 tuners on 1601, so I will just be doing some further testing while much of the TV-broadcasting world is in reruns or preemptive status awaiting the end of the Olympics. That should give me a couple of weeks to mess with it and ensure that I don't have any weird dead air shows, or change it back to using only 5 tuners if it does.
bricketh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #969
reneg

I've been having an issue with my Roamio not recording random shows which sounds like what some others have been experiencing. When this happens, Tivo history shows "not recorded" and when I drill down, it says no signal. KMTTG Remote->Won't Record shows a list of shows under "No signal on Tuner 2" which are the shows that did not record. I can then go through the live tuners and find one with a black screen. Changing the channel on the tuner brings back the signal. I've called both Comcast and Tivo twice each and had two Comcast service calls. I thought I was ready for an escalation to Comcast_cares based on what I've read here and that I am in the Houston area so I sent an email.

I got a call on Friday from Comcast relations. The Comcast relations guy had no clue about what a cablecard was nor what I was requesting in my email (cablecard FW update). He had called Tivo customer support about updating the Tivo firmware and was told that Tivo did not have any firmware updates. I almost starting laughing when he said that Tivo believes the forums are an unreliable source of information (these forums are better than both Tivo and Comcast support). After I explained the cablecard was provided by Comcast and plugged into the Tivo, he said he would pass my request on to the provisioning group and I should expect another call in a day or two because of the weekend. Waiting on the next call.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #970
Rodney
TiVo'd since 9/17/01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwacosta View Post
I live in Houston and my experience is much like yours. All six of my tuners work. I think I got a V58 error a couple of times, but it's very rare. The biggest problem is the missed recordings, up to 4 to 5 per week.

I contacted Comcast a couple of days ago thru comcastcares_support@comcast.com, got a callback the next day, and had updated firmware within a few hours. It's only been a couple of days, but so far I've had no problems.
So, with you and Andy having success, I emailed last night, and just now got a call back. The person didn't understand the issue, but promised to call me back in the next day or two with a resolution. Here's hoping they push the firmware out to me soon!

-Rodney
3 TiVo Premieres expanded to 318 HD hours
1 Roamio Pro w/lifetime

Last edited by Rodney : 02-17-2014 at 01:59 PM. Reason: fix typo
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #971
premus

What information did you include in your email to Comcast? I'm still trying to get the right person to notice it. I keep getting someone who says there is no firmware update. I gave them my Card SN and account number.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:15 PM   #972
Rodney
TiVo'd since 9/17/01

Quote:
What information did you include in your email to Comcast? I'm still trying to get the right person to notice it. I keep getting someone who says there is no firmware update. I gave them my Card SN and account number.
I gave them the following:
  1. my CableCARD SL Number
  2. current firmware version
  3. the firmware version i wanted (1.5.3_F.p.1101)
  4. my account number
  5. a phone number to reach me
I just got a call back!

They have already pushed the firmware version out, and i just turned on all six tuners and rebooted. Tried different channels for all 6 tuners, and so far it looks good. Won't know for sure for awhile, but I feel optimistic!
I want to thank others for posting that Houston was able to get the firmware update. Let us know if you are still going good.

-Rodney
3 TiVo Premieres expanded to 318 HD hours
1 Roamio Pro w/lifetime
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #973
mwacosta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
  4. my account number
I just got a call back!

They have already pushed the firmware version out, and i just turned on all six tuners and rebooted. Tried different channels for all 6 tuners, and so far it looks good. Won't know for sure for awhile, but I feel optimistic!
I want to thank others for posting that Houston was able to get the firmware update. Let us know if you are still going good.

-Rodney
Just to let everyone know, it's been about ten days since I got the firmware update and I have had zero missed recordings and no issues with all six tuners. Everything is working great.

I think some here were complaining about pixelation problems and I noticed some too, but it wasn't really that bad. Since the firmware update I haven't noticed any pixelation issues at all so maybe the firmware fixed that too.

It's really great not having to worry about missing recordings anymore!
mwacosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #974
premus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
  4. my account number
I just got a call back!

-Rodney
Thanks for the info. I hadn't included the SL number but rather the SN printed on the back of the card. I'll see if anyone responds this time.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:06 PM   #975
Larock14

I am happy to say after 4 months of owning the Tivo Roamio Pro it is finally working correctly. I contacted Comcastcares_support@comcast.com per the instructions in a post a few pages back. I live in Merrimack, NH and was contacted the next day by someone in the Executive Customer Relations department for the Greater Boston Region. I explained the situation with my cable card having firmware version PKEY1.5.2_F.p.3001 and it needing version PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101 to work correctly. I sent them a link to this forum showing that Comcast has done this firmware update for individual users so don't tell me it can't be done like your phone techs keep saying. I also sent along my serial number to speed up the process.

So far so good, all six tuners working and no missed recording or black screens of death.

Thanks to everyone before me for all the help and pointing me in the right direction.
Larock14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:48 PM   #976
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
I just discovered the V58 error I've experienced on Roamio actually occurs on all my DVRs :: Roamio, TivoHD and the cable company's SA8300HDC.

Tonight I set all three DVRs to the same channel where I've experienced V58 and tonight saw them freeze simultaneously. My issue seems to have nothing to do with Roamio or the CableCARD being able to tune 6 channels.

I'm going to open a ticket with my cable company.
Just to close this issue out - my cable provider was able to identify and resolve the V58 / freezing issue on their end. The V58 error must also get displayed for issues in the channel stream. I now have no issues with 1.5.3.0601 -- all 6 tuners enabled.
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:10 PM   #977
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
Just to close this issue out - my cable provider was able to identify and resolve the V58 / freezing issue on their end. The V58 error must also get displayed for issues in the channel stream. I now have no issues with 1.5.3.0601 -- all 6 tuners enabled.
Can you elaborate on this? I also have that FW.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #978
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Can you elaborate on this? I also have that FW.
Yep, I was getting V58 on one of the SDV channels I watch frequently. The issue was specific to this one channel as the majority of V58 / blackscreen issues were resolved with the TA firmware upgrade (STA1.0.0_1520_LF_F.1901) back in December.

The V58 on this channel would occur once an hour causing the video to freeze up for 20 seconds, but audio would continue just fine. I hooked up SA cablebox and saw the freezing occurring on it too. At that point I figured it was not Tivo specific, but maybe related to the cablecard, since the cablebox was running the same fw version.

About two weeks ago a tech come out to verify cable signals. He said the signal was fine and this issue probably was the cable feed coming from the hub. After hearing that, I asked a couple friends to see if they had the issue at their homes. They too had it on their rented boxes.

We all went ahead and opened a ticket directly with BHNtechXpert and about a week later got a call from an engineer verifying the symptoms. The engineer mentioned it might be a problem with the carousel, but was forwarding the ticket to the video department. They closed the ticket later that day and I've not seen this issue since.

With this said, I might experience an issue once a month or so where something odd occurs, but overall 1.5.3.0601 has been fine. I'd say these hiccups might slightly occur more frequent than on my TivoHD, but I did have these types of issues from time to time on it too. I still need to request the upgrade from Margret as I'm still on 20.3.7 now that this last issue is resolved.

I don't really think this problem was ever an "authorization" issue though since audio continued and video recovered. Most folks that report a V58 authorization issue experience it when initially tuning the channel and it doesn't recover. However, if you experience this particular issue, you probably could verify it on your HDHomeRun Prime setup since the problem was somehow related to the signal feed.

Btw, do you still encountering V58 or blackscreens after 20.3.8? Prior to the TA FW upgrade, I had all kinds of weirdness that was more than just blackscreens.
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:47 AM   #979
reneg

A follow-up to my earlier post. I did not get a follow-up call from Comcast, so I send a follow-up email a week ago to Comcast_cares and still have not gotten a call back from Comcast. At this point, I'm not so sure they care. My recording problems persist.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #980
cyberskier

I sent an email to Comcastcares_support@comcast.com, and within 4 hours I got a call from the executive support team. He had someone else either on the other end, or via messaging of some sort, because he asked if he could have the person push the firmware update then and there. I checked when I got home, and I had the new firmware. My email was pretty detailed, with all the info in the post from premus, above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[from
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, my blog]
cyberskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:24 AM   #981
rjbell4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larock14 View Post
I am happy to say after 4 months of owning the Tivo Roamio Pro it is finally working correctly. I contacted Comcastcares_support@comcast.com per the instructions in a post a few pages back. I live in Merrimack, NH and was contacted the next day by someone in the Executive Customer Relations department for the Greater Boston Region. I explained the situation with my cable card having firmware version PKEY1.5.2_F.p.3001 and it needing version PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101 to work correctly. I sent them a link to this forum showing that Comcast has done this firmware update for individual users so don't tell me it can't be done like your phone techs keep saying. I also sent along my serial number to speed up the process.
I also live in Southern NH and have this problem. I'll definitely be trying the same approach. Thanks!
rjbell4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #982
TimA

Success in Northern Virginia!

I sent an email (below) to Comcastcares_support@comcast.com the morning of Friday, 21 Feb and received a call about 4 hours later. Unfortunately, I was at the Doctor's office and I couldn't talk to the "Executive Customer Care Representative", but she left her contact info. After playing phone tag with Comcast that day and three days the following week, I finally got in touch with someone different (my Executive CCR was out all week) at 1PM on the 27th that knew about the problem and submitted a ticket to get the firmware pushed. He said it would take about 24hrs to push the firmware since they like to send them out in batches, but I had the new firmware when I got home at 6 PM the same day.

Make sure you are available to answer your phone because they are very aggressive when trying to contact you (a good thing). It was my fault the problem wasn't resolved faster because I wasn't checking my cell phone messages during the day. The Executive Customer Care Reps only work 8AM-5PM. I even got a letter (snail mail) stating that they hadn't been able to reach me.

I wish I recorded the magic words the Rep used when I got the firmware pushed, but I do remember that he said "TiVo Roamio 6 Tuner CableCard Problem". Unfortunately, I didn't stress "six tuners" more in my email below, as it may be key term in their problem knowledge base (assuming they have one). In addition to the info I provided below, they need the CableCard Serial Number. Fortunately, they just looked mine up.

The email I used:

"I would like CableCard firmware PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101 pushed to my CableCard to fix the problems Iím having with my TiVo Roamio Pro DVR.

Iíve having trouble with tuning channels, lost channels, lost recordings, and all six tuners not being able to function properly at the same time. This has been well documented on the internet and TiVo has acknowledged that older CableCard firmware versions are the problem. Many Comcast users in various regions (Houston, TX & Merrimack, NH) have reported that once CableCard firmware PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101 has been pushed (by Comcast) to their CableCards, it has fixed all these problems. The Comcast customer service representatives on the phone are not knowledgeable about this problem and are no help.

My information:
Required Firmware: PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101
CableCARD SL Number: #
CableCard ID: #
Host ID: #
Current Firmware: PKEY1.5.2_F.p.3001
Account number: #
My Phone Number: #
Link to CableCard Tivo Roamio Problem discussion: LINK"
TimA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #983
reneg

Finally, my cablecard firmware was updated this morning. I'm not exactly sure what triggered the update, it could have been one of the following:
  1. Comcastcares finally coming through, though no one from Comcastcares has contacted me since 2/14 even after repeated emails.
  2. Comcast cancellation department which I spent two hours on the phone with on Monday as I was ready to pull the plug on Comcast.
  3. My PM to a fellow TivoCommunity user yesterday who had posted here that he has a contact in the Comcast Houston office.
My guess is on the last one, but I don't know for sure.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:38 AM   #984
Finalrinse

I have a Roamio Pro on the way. I live in a suburb of Detroit and have Motorola cablecards. Is this firmware PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101 apply to Motorola cards? Has anyone in this area had problems with getting firmware updates?
Thanks for any information.
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:36 AM   #985
bananna

I just got my PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101 update here in Vermont. I big thank you to TiVo for the help, Comcast Cable Executive Customer Relations WNE Region in Enfield, CT. made it happen here in the North East.
bananna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #986
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalrinse View Post
I have a Roamio Pro on the way. I live in a suburb of Detroit and have Motorola cablecards. Is this firmware PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101 apply to Motorola cards? Has anyone in this area had problems with getting firmware updates?
Thanks for any information.
The major issues with 6 tuners are generally confined to the Cisco/Scientific Atlanta cards. Motorola cards require a Firmware with 0625 or something like that for 6 tuners. Few users with Motorola have reported problems so I wouldn't worry too much.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #987
Finalrinse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
The major issues with 6 tuners are generally confined to the Cisco/Scientific Atlanta cards. Motorola cards require a Firmware with 0625 or something like that for 6 tuners. Few users with Motorola have reported problems so I wouldn't worry too much.
Thanks, a little relief while I wait...
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #988
Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
Finally, my cablecard firmware was updated this morning. I'm not exactly sure what triggered the update, it could have been one of the following:
  1. Comcastcares finally coming through, though no one from Comcastcares has contacted me since 2/14 even after repeated emails.
  2. Comcast cancellation department which I spent two hours on the phone with on Monday as I was ready to pull the plug on Comcast.
  3. My PM to a fellow TivoCommunity user yesterday who had posted here that he has a contact in the Comcast Houston office.
My guess is on the last one, but I don't know for sure.
Was #3 GriffithStrife? I e-mailed him also but I then saw he was posting his last post on here the day before I contacted him. I've contacted Comcastcares twice and I got the same person who wants to send out a tech. again after the first one couldn't help. She says she can't do anything on her end.
Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #989
clintavila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez View Post
Was #3 GriffithStrife? I e-mailed him also but I then saw he was posting his last post on here the day before I contacted him. I've contacted Comcastcares twice and I got the same person who wants to send out a tech. again after the first one couldn't help. She says she can't do anything on her end.
I am in the same boat. Only have 5 tuners working. I also live in Houston. This has been an ongoing nightmare. I was so relieved when I learned it was a simple firmware fix. Who knew that getting that firmware would be so difficult. I have been in contact with a rep from Comcast Exec Cust Relations via email. She reached out to a tech and was told TiVo has to do the firmware update. And then stated they don't support TiVo. Argh! I even included the link to this page along with all my info that others included when they successfully got the firmware push. It's clear they didn't read any of the posts on this forum. Have you had any luck getting the firmware or any response? I sent another email to my contact. I pray she reads some of these posts so that it will prove this firmware update exists and is being sent by Comcast.
clintavila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #990
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez View Post
Yes, he replied to me via PM.

I don't think all the case workers at Comcastcares are aware of the issue and solution. Be persistent.