TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-20-2014, 10:23 AM   #61
bacevedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I think she meant paying on it for at least 3 years right? I have a Premiere but I have never activated it and it should be around 3 years. Would I qualify if I've never used it? Also, I have 2 other Premiers with lifetime already so this would be the 3rd.
I assume that it would require 3 years of some form of payment on it. She said 3 years old, but mine was active for the last 3 years, so that may have been implied.
bacevedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #62
chef616

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole888 View Post
Is your premier more than 3yr old?
Yeah, it is just over 3 years old.
chef616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #63
TiVoTJung

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole888 View Post
Is your premier more than 3yr old?
I just started my tivo subscription on two premiere xl4s in november of last year.

my account has to be at least 3 years old to get any kind of deal?
TiVoTJung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #64
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoTJung View Post
I just started my tivo subscription on two premiere xl4s in november of last year.

my account has to be at least 3 years old to get any kind of deal?
At least a couple of years before any deal. TiVo subsidizes the hardware, so you need to have paid for a sub for a while before they make any real money off of you. They're not willing to deal until you're past that point.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #65
TiVoTJung

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
At least a couple of years before any deal. TiVo subsidizes the hardware, so you need to have paid for a sub for a while before they make any real money off of you. They're not willing to deal until you're past that point.
i bought both units off of ebay, still no deal huh?
Old 02-04-2014, 01:28 AM   #66
rcanoza

Recently called to cancel a Premiere XL and after making it clear I didn't care about maintaining 4-year-old hardware, was offered $99 lifetime. CSR actually had it in her script that this would enhance eBay resale value, which did give me a chuckle. Of course something like $350 in subscription fees were already sunk into it.

AFAIK the company only make money off selling the analytics anyway
rcanoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:39 AM   #67
kherr

... they make money on lawsuits, they lose money on the hardware and monthly fees ..... AFAIK they have never shown a profit on the sales side of the business .....
kherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:56 AM   #68
rcanoza

OK there's that too
rcanoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:46 PM   #69
thegink

I purchased a used 3-year old TiVo Premiere on Amazon for $60. Bought a WD 2TB hard drive and successfully put that in. I had about 5 months of service into it at $12.95 a month. After reading this forum I decided to take a chance and ask to cancel my service. I told them I wanted to close the account to save on money and that I planned on throwing the device away. They offered me the $99 lifetime service. Of course, I took the deal. Very satisfied. Thanks to everyone who posted.
thegink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #70
indyrobb

I have 2 premiers that I just replaced with a Roamio and Mini. I called to cancel the premiers as I no longer needed them. The rep did ask me what I was planning on doing with them, and I told him I was planning on gifting one to my sister, and keeping the other as a spare just in case something happened with the Roamio (oh the horror!). He offered me the 99 dollar lifetime on the one I've had over 3 years, but the one that is turning 2 years in 1 week was the 199.

I jumped all over the 99 dollar deal. I went ahead and cancelled the other one, and truly will keep it around as a spare.
indyrobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:59 AM   #71
gigaguy

TiVoTJung,
I don't think they care where you got it or how long, as long as it's been active for 3 years. I had my used Craigslist P4 for only 2-3 months when I got the $99 deal. They offered it when I activated a used XL4 I got off craigslist.
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #72
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

I bought a Roamio Pro on 1/31 using the advisory panel code. The guy on the phone transferred my annual MSD plan from my Premiere to the Roamio. Upon completing my deal he said nothing about continuing service on the Premiere so I asked if they had any deal's to keep the Premiere active. After a few minutes on hold he offered me $199 Lifetime on my 3 year old Premiere. The MSD annual rate I had on the Premiere was $99 a year. So I paid $99 a year x 3= 297 then $199 for Lifetime Service costing a total of $496 for service. I paid $67 for the Premiere online for a grand total of $563 invested in my Premiere. Not including the 2 TB HDD I put in it right after I bought it at $150.
These things are pricey indeed but I still love them! I just ordered the Pro slide remote for $49, it should be here Friday.

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #73
TiVoTJung

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy View Post
TiVoTJung,
I don't think they care where you got it or how long, as long as it's been active for 3 years. I had my used Craigslist P4 for only 2-3 months when I got the $99 deal. They offered it when I activated a used XL4 I got off craigslist.
ill have to try it, cant hurt
Old 02-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #74
gigaguy

Talking prices-
my used P4 w/lifetime cost me $175.
the box was $30, lifetime $99 and 3 months service before lifetime was $45.

my unused XL4 w/lifetime was $225. has the ext warr.

both from craigslist..

Last edited by gigaguy : 02-19-2014 at 08:50 PM.
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:43 PM   #75
Coolgrnmen

Would anyone like to provide advice on getting the best deal on a 4-tuner? I'm brand spanking new (kind of) and looking to get a TiVo for Verizon FiOS. I've had RCN (which includes TiVo!) for the past year, but they don't service the new building I'm moving to.
Coolgrnmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #76
cr33p

I have some units for sale, PM me
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:48 PM   #77
buscuitboy

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy View Post
TiVoTJung,
Is there any way of telling how long a Premiere has been in service from a previous owner as well as how long I have had it? I got a refurb 4-tuner Premiere off Woot. It is monthly and it running great, but I'd like to find out how long its been in service so I can then maybe try to get this $99 lifetime offer on it when it reaches 3yrs like suggested here.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #78
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
Is there any way of telling how long a Premiere has been in service from a previous owner as well as how long I have had it? I got a refurb 4-tuner Premiere off Woot. It is monthly and it running great, but I'd like to find out how long its been in service so I can then maybe try to get this $99 lifetime offer on it when it reaches 3yrs like suggested here.
Contact TiVo, give them the TSN, and ask when it was first put into service.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #79
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
Someone posted in another thread that there is a way to find out how many hours on a hard drive ( and thus the TiVo in most cases ) , but I think it involved removing the hard drive and temporary installing it a computer.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:59 PM   #80
telemark

Confused here. Are there 2 different or 3 different lifetime offers going on for the Premieres?

For example, if I find a brand new unactivated Premiere for a good price, is it's lifetime going to be $199 or like $499?
Old 03-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #81
jrtroo
User

The deals have primarily been to keep a long term subscription active. A new box is going to get standard pricing offers.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #82
ducker

it brings a tear to my eye to think I dropped $400 for my lifetime sub on my premiere.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #83
jrtroo
User

Well, that box is still worth $300-350 instead of $30, so its not for naught.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #84
mpnret

I just scored a $99. lifetime sub on my 1 year old XL4. Sequence of events was I purchased Roamio Pro about a month ago with the AP code. I transferred my monthly service from the XL4 to the Roamio and started a new monthly on the XL4 just to keep it active to transfer shows and season passes and watch the copy protected shows that wouldn't transfer. The new monthly had a 30 day money back guarantee so the plan was to cancel before the 30 day mark. I called to do that and inquired about lifetime sub cost. The best they would do is $199. so I agreed to cancel. When I got the confirmation email I looked at the serial # they canceled and it was my new Roamio. I called back in a little ticked over all the time I was wasting over their mistake. I had a very understanding pleasant rep and she was able to get the $99. lifetime sub approved. She also mentioned a possible low monthly plan for 9.95 or less. I went for the lifetime being I will most likely sell the XL4.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #85
MeInDallas

I was real surprised today, I called to cancel service on my last remaining XL4, and the lady I spoke with kept asking me what I was going to do with the box, give it away, sell it on Ebay, sell to a friend, and I said no its going in the closet with the others for now. I paid too much money to just give it to someone. She asked me would I be interested in the $99 lifetime deal and I jumped on it! I was kinda shocked she gave it to me on a year old box, but really happy to keep one of the old girls on subscription. I probably shouldve asked if I couldve gotten it on one of the 2 tuner models and used it for over the air, but I think if I decide to sell the XL4 I could get more money out of it.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #86
eric102

Best I could do on a 2 year old 2 tuner Premier was the normal $199 most others are getting or she gave me the option of a 6.95 monthly plan with no commitment. I decided to take the $199 and keep the box since this is my original TiVo that future service discounts are based on.
eric102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #87
MMaleto

Angry angry at TIVO

I first got TIVO in 2/2011, bought the 2 year extension and it died after 1 year. They sent a replacement and since it was a new unit, I had to buy another 2 year extension. I did.

Since 2011 I was on a monthly plan and decided I did not want to pay a monthly so I called asking for a deal. This was in December of 2013, almost 3 years (2 months short) They offered none. I called about a week later and asked for the 99 lifetime, they refused so I told them to cancel. He talked me into "thinking about it" for 3 months free, I said ok.

A month later I decided to try to get the 99 deal again, no budging on their end. Said I did not qualify. So in January 2014, I canceled TIVO. They tried to talk me into selling it on CL or eBay; or give to someone who would use it. I told them it would stay in my closet.

I only use TIVO to pause and rewind, very seldom. Mostly when someone would call or I had to take a BR break. I have a cable card in it and do not miss cable (had very few channels). I am angry with TIVO. I sent an email to them showing how I paid over $700 over the 2 years and 11 month (including everything) and others were getting deals. No budging.

in 35 months I paid them 659.63 in monthly fees and 59.90 in extended warrantees!

So it sits, and will. At this point, even though I miss it just a tiny bit, it has become principle.

Last edited by MMaleto : 03-10-2014 at 08:32 PM.
MMaleto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #88
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMaleto View Post
So it sits, and will. At this point, even though I miss it just a tiny bit, it has become principle.
I think you're missing the point of the policy deal being talked about here: the deal is if you buy a new Roamio and subscribe it, then you are offered the $99 lifetime on the old Premiere that's been subscribed for 3 years. That way TiVo gets an additional subbed unit on their records (looks nice to investors).

Nobody at TiVo has ever said there is a 3 year policy deal for retention (there's no extra sub for them to report), and very few folks have ever gotten it throughout the years (and people have been trying and complaining for years.) You're in good company.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:30 AM   #89
Brighton Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
I think you're missing the point of the polic
Agree, poster is missing the point. Has to be subscribed for 3 years, one your anniversary they will offer $99. Subscribed not what you are paying per month. The Tivo can't be sitting in a closet without a subscription to get teh deal.
I am paying $99 a year from an old deal. I just paid $99 for the year, still have 11 months but unit is just over 3 years old. My next scheduled plan in November is... yes... $99 lifetime.

My Premier that was 2 years and 1 months old, they offered me $199 lifetime on and I took it. Still had 11 months extended warranty on it. I sold it and made double what lifetime cost but yest still did not recoup ALL that I've spent but it was a bit helpful.

FWIW
Brighton Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #90
MMaleto

Yes, I missed the intent of the thread.

It will continue to sit in the closet. I cannot justify spending the monthly fee when I only use it for an occasional pause. Netflix does not work and Amazon Prime never worked (both as advertised).

$15.00 per month for a TV guide and an occasional pause for the cause; well, not here.

Thanks for the redirection. I misunderstood the thread.
MMaleto is offline   Reply With Quote