TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #1
SOCATivo

MoCa Question - What Do I Need?

Not sure this is the right forum for this, mods feel free to move, but it pertains to my new Mini...

My Mini is connected using MoCa to my XL4, which is of course capable of managing this without external adapters.

However, in the room where my Mini resides, I also want to connect an HTPC running XBMC. This can only use Ethernet.

So, my cable comes into the room currently directly into the Mini.

I guess I am looking for an adapter which will allow the cable to pass through to the Mini, and also incorporate an Ethernet connection so I can hang the XBMC system into (and potentially add a switch for more Ethernet things).

Does such a thing exist, and if so, can you point me towards a solution?

(I have tried power line Ethernet but the bandwidth is too low).

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
SugarBowl

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethe...s=moca+adapter
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
SOCATivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post
Perfect! I was unclear if this actually did the job or not.

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCATivo View Post
Perfect! I was unclear if this actually did the job or not.

Thanks.
It's not quite that easy. The adapter will work fine for providing Ethernet to the PC. However, the Actiontec adapters are only pass-through for typical Cable TV frequency ranges (5-1000MHz). They will not pass the MoCA frequencies through to the Mini. For this to work, you'll need to split the coax via 2-way splitter: send one leg to the mini, and the other to the Actiontec adapter in the link provider in the previous post.

An alternative would be using this product and then simply running an Ethernet cable to both the Mini and the PC.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #5
SOCATivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
It's not quite that easy. The adapter will work fine for providing Ethernet to the PC. However, the Actiontec adapters are only pass-through for typical Cable TV frequency ranges (5-1000MHz). They will not pass the MoCA frequencies through to the Mini. For this to work, you'll need to split the coax via 2-way splitter: send one leg to the mini, and the other to the Actiontec adapter in the link provider in the previous post.
Are you sure? Speaking with Kevin the Cable Guy yesterday, Moca does use high frequencies, but not in the >1GHz range on their cable. I think he may be right because there are splitters on my network which top off at 1005MHz.

Quote:
An alternative would be using this product and then simply running an Ethernet cable to both the Mini and the PC.
I do like the look of this though, it seems like it combines the MoCa and Ethernet switch into one module. and it's not much more expensive than the previous adapter. Although I cannot seem to find a picture of the rear of the unit.

Edit - Found the datasheet (PDF). This unit looks like what I need.

Last edited by SOCATivo : 02-14-2014 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Found pic.
SOCATivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #6
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCATivo View Post
Are you sure? Speaking with Kevin the Cable Guy yesterday, Moca does use high frequencies, but not in the >1GHz range on their cable. I think he may be right because there are splitters on my network which top off at 1005MHz.
Yes, I'm sure. I attempted the same thing and was going crazy trying to understand why my Mini couldn't connect. After 45 minutes of troubleshooting and research, I discovered the Actiontec adapters have an internal MoCA filter on the output.

As far as splitters go, as long as it's a relatively recent splitter, MoCA will still usually pass through ok. The frequency range listed on the splitter is the range over which the signal loss rating is valid. For your splitter, frequencies higher than 1005 MHz might experience more attenuation, but usually not enough to matter.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #7
SOCATivo

Interesting.

Anyway I think I am already decided on your modem/hub recommendation - thanks!
Old 02-15-2014, 04:44 PM   #8
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

I picked a older Westell Verizon FiOS router off eBay to run the multiple ethernet connections one end of my Moca network, I got lucky and it only cost me $17 and it works fine. Much cheaper than the new Actiontec box, the only issue is that it requires a little knowledge of setting up the Westell router in a gateway config instead of it's typical routing config. It will give you 5 ports of 10/100 ethernet and a extra wireless ap if you need a little extra coverage for wireless.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #9
SOCATivo

Interesting - do you think my old DOCSIS 1 (or maybe 2) Motorola cable modem would do as a hack? I'm not even sure how to start to configure it though.

Having said that, there do also seem to be a number of Westell Verizon FiOS type devices on eBay. How to you get into it to set up the configuration? Is there a telnet port or a default web page or something?

(Edited to add this)

So I grabbed my old Cox modem out of the trash, plugged it into an unused cable socket and connected a spare PC.

I saw the PC grab an IP address from my router, and connected a remote desktop session to it! But after a minute I got no response from the desktop, and couldn't ping it either.

Last edited by SOCATivo : 02-15-2014 at 05:17 PM.
SOCATivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

The Westell router has a Web interface, it's fairly intuitive. To reconfigure it you have to do a family tory reset which clears the prior user's config including any password to login (default is admin/password).

I doubt a cable modem would work, the Westell router is a MOCA 1.1 router with wireless G and 4 ports of ethernet on the lan side, you get 5 ports of ethernet in a gateway mode by a signing the one ethernet wan port to the gateway group. These were the original router Verizon used for their fios service which Verizon uses Moca for their fios vod service which now they have gone to the Actiontec router which you can find on eBay too, I can't remember the model but search for Verizon FiOS router and you can find the newer actiontec models (the Rev. I has Gb ethernet instead of 10/100) but in any account the Westell routers are the cheapest and will do the same as the dedicated retail Actiontec media Moca server router which all of them are Moca 1.1 device.

Now what I'm waiting for is when the Moca 2.0 devices come out, the standard is approved and a few manufactors are projecting mid 2014 for them to be available. MOCA 2.0 is much faster, it can be as fast if not faster than Gb ethernet.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #11
SOCATivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
The Westell router has a Web interface, it's fairly intuitive. To reconfigure it you have to do a family tory reset which clears the prior user's config including any password to login (default is admin/password).

I doubt a cable modem would work, the Westell router is a MOCA 1.1 router with wireless G and 4 ports of ethernet on the lan side, you get 5 ports of ethernet in a gateway mode by a signing the one ethernet wan port to the gateway group. These were the original router Verizon used for their fios service which Verizon uses Moca for their fios vod service which now they have gone to the Actiontec router which you can find on eBay too, I can't remember the model but search for Verizon FiOS router and you can find the newer actiontec models (the Rev. I has Gb ethernet instead of 10/100) but in any account the Westell routers are the cheapest and will do the same as the dedicated retail Actiontec media Moca server router which all of them are Moca 1.1 device.

Now what I'm waiting for is when the Moca 2.0 devices come out, the standard is approved and a few manufactors are projecting mid 2014 for them to be available. MOCA 2.0 is much faster, it can be as fast if not faster than Gb ethernet.
Thanks eboydog. See my edit which crossed your in the ether.

I am going to get one of the modems you suggested. My Cox modem is intermittent, and anyway only ha one port so I'd have to put a hub/switch there too.