TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
panthers1521

what universal remote are you using?

Hey what universal remote are you using or do you find works best with TiVo Roamio? I am using a Harmony 650 which works pretty well. I would use the standard remote but i use a sound bar and to turn the sound bar on separately everyday would get annoying plus i need to keep it simple for the wife. I just want to see if there are better options out there. Thank you.
panthers1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

You know you can program the TV power button to turn on both the TV and the sound bar? That's why all the TV codes start with 0 and all the receiver codes start with 1. It can hold both.

I use a Slide Pro most if the time, but have a Harmony 680 I still use for other devices.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
takeshi

^ This. Plus, define "better". My MX-980 works better for me but may not for the next and is probably overkill if all you need is to control your soundbar. Don't overlook prior threads on universal remotes. They may not be Roamio-specific but can be useful resources.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #4
gt5059b

I got a Logitech Harmony Ultimate for Xmas. Probably one of the best upgrades I've ever had. It's a life saver; when you have 4-6 devices to control and line of sight is an issue. I was very surprised at how easy it is to set it up with their online software.
TiVo Series 3 HD [lifetime]
Sony SVR-2000 [retired]
gt5059b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:27 AM   #5
TonyBlunt

Using iRule on cheap Android tablet and an iPhone - totally customisable for all my devices. Probably will also get an iPad and put it on that too.
TonyBlunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
squiddohio

From various places around the house I use MX-850, MX-890 and MX-980. The MX-890, by Universal Remote Controls, is surely one of the best remotes available, but using such a sophisticated (and expensive) device to turn on and off a sound bar is like using a chain saw to cut butter. However, if your system includes games, DVD players, and other switching devices which benefit from macro execution, it is the best way to go. It can even control the lights and the shades in the room if you want. It will not serve tea at 4, however.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
You know you can program the TV power button to turn on both the TV and the sound bar? That's why all the TV codes start with 0 and all the receiver codes start with 1. It can hold both.
On the Roamio regular remote? I thought you would need the Slide Pro to do that.

We have a Harmony 700 but we don't use it anymore except turning the system on/off, and occasionally if we need to switch to the Xbox/PS3... 99% of the time I just use the peanut. We used to have more devices that needed complicated setups (we went through the 880, the One, and now the 700), but over the years our setup has gotten simplified.

I'd love it if you can program the regular peanut to power on the TV and receiver!
Old 02-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #8
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I'd love it if you can program the regular peanut to power on the TV and receiver!
You can. And it works.

Here's the link:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/294
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #9
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
You can. And it works.

Here's the link:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/294
I guess I am not really seeing how to do power to both the TV and the receiver from those instructions.

I already have it set up to control the receiver's volume, but have never bothered to do the TV power button because those instructions did not say how to also power on the receiver.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #10
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
I guess I am not really seeing how to do power to both the TV and the receiver from those instructions.

I already have it set up to control the receiver's volume, but have never bothered to do the TV power button because those instructions did not say how to also power on the receiver.
Yes, the instructions do not say how to do it. That's been an often complained about problem for many years. TiVo should fix this.

You can do it, but I've forgotten whether you just put in the AV code, or whether you follow the same instructions as you do for the learning remotes - I think it's the latter. See http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...lkL29LQWJZYU1s
or search for the page titled "Using the Learning Feature of TiVo Learning Remotes"
Old 02-05-2014, 12:01 PM   #11
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
You can do it, but I've forgotten whether you just put in the AV code, or whether you follow the same instructions as you do for the learning remotes - I think it's the latter. See http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...lkL29LQWJZYU1s
or search for the page titled "Using the Learning Feature of TiVo Learning Remotes"
Huh, ok... I will try that tonight!
Old 02-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #12
KevinG

Yes, as I recall, the codes start with a different digit...

That tells the remote that you don't want to replace the other code, just add to it.

Doing it via the tivo menus actually takes you through the entire process for both codes.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #13
MARKPIE

Quote:
Doing it via the tivo menus actually takes you through the entire process for both codes.
My problem is the Peanut / Tivo codes offered this way won't operate my sound bar, neither will the manual code search so I'm gonna try the slide pro once they're back in stock.
MARKPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:

You hold TiVo and Power until the light stays on, enter the TV code, then repeat and enter the AV code. The TV codes all start with 0 and the AV codes all start with 1 so they do not overwrite each other.

You only need a learning remote if you have a TV or AV receiver that is not supported by the default codes or if you need to control 3 devices. (the learning remotes have 3 slots per button instead of 2)
Old 02-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #15
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Yes, the main hangup is the TiVo peanut WON'T power an A/V receiver on/off...it'll control the volume but it's useless without powering the receiver on and off. I will try the "learning" process tonite, but my bet is that it won't work...

EDIT -- And, of course, I've been proven wrong. I used the process posted by CrispyCritter in post #10 and it worked great. I just hit 1 before pushing the TV power button, then pointed my Denon receiver's remote at my peanut remote, and it learned the power command fine. Now when I hit the TV power button on the peanut, it turns on both my Panny plasma and my Denon receiver. Of course, I'll hardly ever use it since I have a Harmony One....

XL4

Last edited by Bierboy : 02-05-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #16
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I tried this first, but it doesn't. It only does the TV, same as the online instructions. Which is why I never thought you could do more than one.

Once I had found the TV code though, I just redid the same TiVo+Power and receiver code and it worked fine.

Can't believe they don't actually tell you this anywhere!
Old 02-06-2014, 03:18 AM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

They use to on the Remote setup page. But when they added the options for Advance and Pairing they shortened the descriptions.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #18
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
They use to on the Remote setup page. But when they added the options for Advance and Pairing they shortened the descriptions.
Ah, that explains it. It's been quite some time since I've had to do it...didn't realize they changed it in the meantime.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:45 AM   #19
Al-Mann

I use Control4 for my remote.
I think it works best for everything.
Al-Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #20
zubinh

Harmony 900 does it all - and even has thumbs up and thumbs down icons. Also controls my Roku and Playstation 3
Old 02-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #21
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubinh View Post
Harmony 900 does it all - and even has thumbs up and thumbs down icons. Also controls my Roku and Playstation 3
It's just a slightly modified Harmony One...only difference I see are the color hard buttons

XL4
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #22
ShoutingMan

Harmony One

I use the iPad Tivo app for programming the Tivo, doing searches, or when I need to enter text for things like Pandora setup.
ShoutingMan is offline   Reply With Quote