TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
traveler100

Low Volume output from Roamio

We upgraded to a Roamio from a S2 TiVo and found that the Roamio's volume output is much lower than the old S2 or a direct line feed to our Sony Bravia. We have to double the TV volume to a 40 setting when viewing thru TiVo to get the same Volume as a 20 setting when watching a direct line in. I've set the Roamio Audio setting to high and this helped but it's still much lower than the regular line in volume. What's odd is the TiVO sounds while navigating program guides or other functions are at the much higher volume setting (Line in). Doesn't make sense that the program's volume are cut in half. Is this just a quirk of the Roamio box or have I missed something in the setup.
traveler100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

The only volume setting I know of on tivo's is the sounds of the tivo "bloops", so you turned them up by setting it to "high".

What connection are you using for sound, hdmi?

Is it a base Roamio? If not, then you could use optical digital audio or stereo outputs to test. Base model, you still can test with optical digital sound output.

Have you gone through the sound settings on the tv? Sometimes there are modes such as "midnight theater" that compress the sound, or different inputs can have sound level adjustments, or if it has dolby or dts decoding, it might have speaker levels that can be adjusted, or other sound modes and adjustments that could affect things.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
traveler100

@Ignad, Thanks for the help. I have a basic Roamio with HDMI to the TV. I'll check the digital audio output to see if that corrects the audio levels and the TV audio settings.
traveler100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
LoPan12

I noticed the same going from a premier...went from 17-20s, up to 30s

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
LoPan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:20 PM   #5
rainwater

When going from analog to digital audio, some tvs have totally different volume levels. There is generally nothing you can do about it.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:41 AM   #6
humbb

I noticed the same thing going from a Moto DCX3400 Xfinity DVR Box to a Roamio Pro with both connecting to TV using HDMI for both video and audio. Made me think that the CableCard could be the audio weak link difference.
humbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbb View Post
I noticed the same thing going from a Moto DCX3400 Xfinity DVR Box to a Roamio Pro with both connecting to TV using HDMI for both video and audio. Made me think that the CableCard could be the audio weak link difference.
All the cablecard does is provide the ability to decrypt channels. It can not alter the audio.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
johnmsch

I've noticed the same issue since I purchased my Premiere XL. Been through all the settings and can't find any way to adjust this. I'm connected to my Sony Bravia via HDMI.
johnmsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #9
LoPan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
When going from analog to digital audio, some tvs have totally different volume levels. There is generally nothing you can do about it.
Both my premiere and the new Roamio were attatched to the TV directly through HDMI.
LoPan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #10
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoPan12 View Post
Both my premiere and the new Roamio were attatched to the TV directly through HDMI.
The TiVo does not set the audio level as it is digital. Perhaps you have a TV that supports different audio settings per input.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #11
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
exactly

Both my S3 and Premiere have a much lower volume level then any other source.

When I was in college I had the S3 set up side by side by an old direct tv at my parents house in the summer to get HD OTA, and I would have to turn the volume way up on the S3, but once you switch back to the directive it would be so loud it was ridicules if you didn't turn the tv down before switching inputs.

With my latest set up on my new samsung plasma, the premiere bar far has the lowest volume levels, my apple tv has the highest, and my blu ray player, well, that's a mixed boar of always adjusting the volume. I keep having to turn the volume up during quiet conversations during a movie because you can barely hear it, but as soon as any action starts taking place and there is sound effects, background music or explosions it goes so loud it should be illegal.
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #12
mrdazzo7

Guess I'm not the only one with this issue then

I'm seriously disappointed by this... I had a perfectly working S3 and saw a great deal on the Premiere and when I called, the guy convinced me the Roamio was the way to go so I did it. But this audio situtation is killing it for me. I used to have my TV at 30-40, now it's at 60-65, and I still have issues hearing it (which is weird). Everything else about the box is better but this issue is a big, big downgrade.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:11 PM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
Guess I'm not the only one with this issue then

I'm seriously disappointed by this... I had a perfectly working S3 and saw a great deal on the Premiere and when I called, the guy convinced me the Roamio was the way to go so I did it. But this audio situtation is killing it for me. I used to have my TV at 30-40, now it's at 60-65, and I still have issues hearing it (which is weird). Everything else about the box is better but this issue is a big, big downgrade.
Are you sure both are sending the same audio? And one isn't sending pcm while the other is sending DD? Since when sending DD, if the TV applies dialnorm, the volume can be lower than when sending pcm output. Around here most stations use -7db dialnorm with their DD(usually it's between -4db and -7db). So the volume level will be that much lower on a device that applies the dial norm properly.

I've been dealing with this with receivers and watching TV for many years. I just turn up the volume a little. But it can certainly vary by station. So I usually use volume leveling on the TV that my TiVo is connected directly to. That way it evens out the volume on the channels.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:29 PM   #14
rterzi

Roamio volume low on cable channels

The volume from my Roamio connected via HDMI seems low when playing all cable channels. (Time Warner Cable - TWC with cable card). On my Samsung TV I need to put the volume up around 70.

However, if I play other things including Tivo's Netflix app, the volume is higher. If I switch to one of the other HDMI inputs (Chromecast, mac mini, blu-ray player), I need to put the volume down at around 35. (Half of what's needed for the roamio playing cable.)
rterzi is offline   Reply With Quote