TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
jmilender

Slide Pro Remotes back in stock

Just went on TiVo.com and Slide Pro remotes are back in stock. Had to pay the $9.00 for shipping though.
jmilender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

What's the difference between the two? Does the non Roamio include the dongle while the Roamio version doesn't?
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #3
jmilender

Yes
jmilender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Cool, been watching the old version on eBay and almost bought a used one for more! I just got one.

The eBay sellers that have the old ones aren't going to like this!
TiVo Premiere

Old 02-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Oh man I called Tivo to change my order as I wanted to add a glow remote to the order I just placed and didn't want to pay shipping twice. After waiting and being put on hold, they couldn't but then told me if I ordered the glow with shipping, they would give me credit for a month service on my Roamio so then after waiting longer to do that, the customer rep came back and said "ah heck, this is getting complicated, let me just send you a glow remote for free".

Sweet! I'm getting the new slide and a new glow remote for the price of the slide!
TiVo Premiere

Old 02-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Just got four of them. Also returned an extra regular Roamio remote I'd ordered, after finding out it can't learn IR for my Denon AVR input command.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Cool, been watching the old version on eBay and almost bought a used one for more! I just got one.

The eBay sellers that have the old ones aren't going to like this!
The old ones are bluetooth, have the old button layout and the backlight can be turned off.
The new ones are RF, have the new button layout and the backlight cannot be turned off.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Also returned an extra regular Roamio remote I'd ordered, after finding out it can't learn IR for my Denon AVR input command.
The Glow remote is now selling for the same price as the standard one ($30) and has learning capabilities.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #9
shrike4242

Weaknees had them previously for $59.99, though they're coming back in stock today and they're $79.99. So, the Tivo deal seems like the best option for now, even with non-free shipping.

I'm not sure how people are randomly getting free shipping on the remote, either. Seems to come and go on that being free shipping.

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #10
waynomo
My One Time

How does the remote that comes with the Roamio Pro communicate with the Roamio TiVo?
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:50 PM   #11
LoPan12

...If I order a Premiere version (with dongle), think I can pair the Slide Pro with my Roamio, and then pair my Roamio Remote with my Premiere using the dongle? The Slide and Regular remotes are put into pairing mode the same way...so....guess we'll see! I just ordered the dongle version (that just sounds odd) since it's the same price, and same remote...
LoPan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
How does the remote that comes with the Roamio Pro communicate with the Roamio TiVo?
RF, no dongle required. Although I would recommend ordering the one with dongle anyway if you have any Premiere units or Minis since the dongle can be used to pair the original Roamio remote to those units as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoPan12 View Post
...If I order a Premiere version (with dongle), think I can pair the Slide Pro with my Roamio, and then pair my Roamio Remote with my Premiere using the dongle? The Slide and Regular remotes are put into pairing mode the same way...so....guess we'll see! I just ordered the dongle version (that just sounds odd) since it's the same price, and same remote...
Yes you can.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:20 PM   #13
humbb

Quote:
I'm not sure how people are randomly getting free shipping on the remote, either. Seems to come and go on that being free shipping.
Here's how I got it:
Back in January, I tried to order the Slide Pro on tivo.com, but when I added it to the cart I was turned off by the $9 shipping, so I abandoned the site.

Next morning I get an email from TiVo with the subject line: "I'm here for you, whenever you're good and ready!", and in the body:
"Looks like you left an item or two in your cart on tivo.com. Letís go back to your cart and finish your order. Or you can call 877-289-8486 to complete your purchase. Youíll enjoy free shipping and a 30-day, money-back guarantee on your order."

So I called TiVo and gave them the story of my shipping sticker shock and how I would like to apply the free shipping in the email, but I don't know how. Went back and forth with the CSR who also couldn't figure out how to apply the free shipping. So we did an order with the promise that I would get the shipping charge credited back to my card within 10 business days. And sure enough they came through with the refund in a little over a week.

Pretty sure the free shipping in the email was intended for a box purchase, but who's complaining.
humbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:29 PM   #14
Bigg

Ordered mine last night. Can't wait to have an RF remote on the Premiere! No more reaching out from under the blankets in the cold basement to skip commercials!
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:46 AM   #15
shrike4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbb View Post
Here's how I got it:
Back in January, I tried to order the Slide Pro on tivo.com, but when I added it to the cart I was turned off by the $9 shipping, so I abandoned the site.

Next morning I get an email from TiVo with the subject line: "I'm here for you, whenever you're good and ready!", and in the body:
"Looks like you left an item or two in your cart on tivo.com. Letís go back to your cart and finish your order. Or you can call 877-289-8486 to complete your purchase. Youíll enjoy free shipping and a 30-day, money-back guarantee on your order."

So I called TiVo and gave them the story of my shipping sticker shock and how I would like to apply the free shipping in the email, but I don't know how. Went back and forth with the CSR who also couldn't figure out how to apply the free shipping. So we did an order with the promise that I would get the shipping charge credited back to my card within 10 business days. And sure enough they came through with the refund in a little over a week.

Pretty sure the free shipping in the email was intended for a box purchase, but who's complaining.
I'll have to give that a try, as I did abandon the Slide Remote Pro w/dongle in the cart. Everytime I did go back to the cart on Tivo.com, the item was gone. Maybe if that happens and I re-add the Slide Remote Pro, it'll allow for free shipping. Otherwise, it'll be CSR roulette to see if they honor the free shipping off of the email.

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:51 AM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Ordered mine last night. Can't wait to have an RF remote on the Premiere! No more reaching out from under the blankets in the cold basement to skip commercials!
A Snuggie would have been cheaper.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #17
MARKPIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I liked my Snuggie so much I married her. Ordered mine yesterday and am anxious to see if it will tie in all my A/V equipment. Currently using 3 remotes to get things done.
MARKPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:11 AM   #18
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Since I got my Roamio with it's RF remote, i do the same under the blanket but just was reluctant to mention such. Now if I can just stop the habit of pointing the remote towards the Tivo I will be in good shape!

Somewhat off subject, While the old slide was marketed as a Bluetooth remote, does anyone know if the new slide technically uses the same for RF communications?
TiVo Premiere

Old 02-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #19
Dan203
Super Moderator

The new one is NOT Bluetooth. It uses a proprietary RF protocol.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #20
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

I did a little research though the FCC website and found my answer, the old slide uses Bluetooth as its described, the newer pro version while it uses the similar RF frequency, it does not support Bluetooth. While it uses the 2.4ghz range it doesn't comply with Bluetooth and uses a radio module made by a company called "Remote Solution" (using Q-QPSk modulation for you tech nerds). The radio module Btw in the Roamio plus/pro appears to be a small USB card that plugs into the plus/pro main board but the same function is built into the main board of the Roamio basic, this means the remote control radio on the higher end models of the Roamio can be fixed or upgraded down the road.

I'm only interested as I picked up a couple of the old slide remotes but I didn't get the Bluetooth dongles with them so I have been looking the the dongle, I may call Tivo if I don't have any luck but I'm hoping I can find a usb Bluetooth dongle that uses the broadcom bcm92070 Chipset which should work in the tivo.

Btw - anyone know of anything new coming from Tivo this late winter or early spring? FCC has an application filing for an additional RF USB dongle, it's closed for public review until April 2014 which usually implies it's a new product that hasn't been released yet. It might be something related to the existing RF remote control or perhaps a yet newer one? It's called a "Q2 Dongle", part number EC40A but no additional info is public. Given the relative low price of the Slide Pro remote, I wonder if there is new remote control coming out?
TiVo Premiere

Old 02-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #21
Dan203
Super Moderator

The dongle that comes with the Slide Pro also works with the original Roamio remote. Maybe they plan to release it standalone or as a set with the basic Roamio remote? Would that require a separate FCC filing?

Or maybe they're switching chip makers for the current one and that requires a new filing?
Old 02-16-2014, 12:19 AM   #22
Bigg

Quote:
But a Snuggie doesn't have RF, USB, or batteries!

Quote:
Since I got my Roamio with it's RF remote, i do the same under the blanket but just was reluctant to mention such. Now if I can just stop the habit of pointing the remote towards the Tivo I will be in good shape!
Why do you have a habit of pointing the remote? I don't remotely point mine, it usually works fine. That's what walls are for.

Quote:
I did a little research though the FCC website and found my answer, the old slide uses Bluetooth as its described, the newer pro version while it uses the similar RF frequency, it does not support Bluetooth. While it uses the 2.4ghz range it doesn't comply with Bluetooth and uses a radio module made by a company called "Remote Solution" (using Q-QPSk modulation for you tech nerds).
Yeah, there are a bajillion things using 2.4 ghz. I cringe when I see anything that's not Wifi for non-5.8ghz legacy devices using it, since it is so incredibly clogged up, although mice, keyboards, and bluetooth seem to be OK, since they use a tiny amount of bandwidth. Since this thing is basically a keyboard, I don't anticipate any interference problems.

Quote:
The dongle that comes with the Slide Pro also works with the original Roamio remote. Maybe they plan to release it standalone or as a set with the basic Roamio remote? Would that require a separate FCC filing?
Like for a Premiere? Seems kind of pointless, you can just get the Slide Pro and not use the keyboard. I didn't buy the Slide Pro for the keyboard, I bought it as an RF remote, although I'll use the keyboard on occasion, as it will be faster than opening up the iPhone app to type something in like I do now.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:24 AM   #23
Dan203
Super Moderator

No for a Mini. The Mini does not have RF and an RF remote makes a lot more sense for a Mini hanging on the back of a TV then that stupid little IR dongle they have. I know Mini users can get a Slide Pro too, but there is a $20 difference in price and Minis are typically used on secondary TVs where having learning and a keyboard isn't as important.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #24
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:

Or maybe they're switching chip makers for the current one and that requires a new filing?
I don't know, the manufacturer is the same, "Remote Solution" which is a same group that makes the new remote interface for the new Roamio and slider pro remote interfaces. Given that and the fact that they are selling the standard remote for $29.95, perhaps there will be a new standard rf remote released using the Roamio Remote and the dongle described will be plugged in to the older TiVo's to allow RF control for the non-Roamio TiVo's.

Since they already have the FCC license for the RF Roamio Remote, all they need is the dongle to support the older Tivo and then package the Roamio Remote with the new "Q2 dongle" and have a retail package. There might be a slight difference in the new dongle that with that they would need FCC permission prior to releasing it.

Once that is done, then all the TiVo's will support the new smaller compact Roamio Remote which again would explain why the older IR remotes are being sold for $29......

It is disappointing that the new remotes are using the crowed 2.4ghz frequency, seems it would better in 2014 to be using the public 5ghz range or stay with the 2.4 Bluetooth radio.

I dunno.....
TiVo Premiere

Old 02-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #25
tarheelblue32

Quote:
It is disappointing that the new remotes are using the crowed 2.4ghz frequency, seems it would better in 2014 to be using the public 5ghz range or stay with the 2.4 Bluetooth radio.

I dunno.....
I assume they are using 2.4ghz rather than 5ghz because 2.4 penetrates solid obstacles better, and that is the main benefit of an RF remote.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #26
Bigg

Quote:
No for a Mini. The Mini does not have RF and an RF remote makes a lot more sense for a Mini hanging on the back of a TV then that stupid little IR dongle they have. I know Mini users can get a Slide Pro too, but there is a $20 difference in price and Minis are typically used on secondary TVs where having learning and a keyboard isn't as important.
So get a Slide Pro... Even if it's not needed, it's works, and it's only $50. I won't be upset with my Slide Pro if they come out with a $30 RF remote for the Premiere, that's for sure.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #27
Dan203
Super Moderator

But why spend $50 on a Slide Pro if there is a $30 version and you have no use for the learning capabilities or keyboard? A LOT of people on the Roamio forum bought the Slide Pro with the dongle specifically so they could use their original Roamio remote with their Mini. This would give people without an original Roamio remote a cheaper option to get RF capabilities on their Mini.

I'm betting that eventually either these dongles are bundled with a Mini, along with the same basic remote as the Roamio, or they release a new version of the Mini with RF built in. The RF functionality is just so much nicer for a Mini, especially if the TV is hanging on a wall.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:50 PM   #28
Bigg

Quote:
But why spend $50 on a Slide Pro if there is a $30 version and you have no use for the learning capabilities or keyboard? A LOT of people on the Roamio forum bought the Slide Pro with the dongle specifically so they could use their original Roamio remote with their Mini. This would give people without an original Roamio remote a cheaper option to get RF capabilities on their Mini.

I'm betting that eventually either these dongles are bundled with a Mini, along with the same basic remote as the Roamio, or they release a new version of the Mini with RF built in. The RF functionality is just so much nicer for a Mini, especially if the TV is hanging on a wall.
That $20 difference isn't going to drive any sales that didn't already happen or wouldn't happen otherwise with the Slide Pro- so unless the margins are way bigger (I doubt it), there's no good motivation for TiVo to make an add-on RF remote without keyboard.

I have found the Mini's IR to be very good. I have one of mine sort of awkwardly propped on top of a TV in the kitchen, and it often slides away, way out of sight, and the IR will bounce off the wall and cabinet and down to where the Mini is. If it was a permanent install, I would probably attach it upside-down to the bottom of a cabinet where it is out in the open and able to receive IR. I'm sure there are some cases where RF would be good, but with the IR extender, and the Slide Pro, that is a really tiny market in the middle.