TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
john4200

House of Cards - Season 2 - Episodes 03, 04, 05.

Discussion thread for Season 2, episodes, 03, 04, 05
(chapters 16, 17, 18)

S02E03
Frank seeks bipartisan agreement to avoid a Government shutdown, but when that fails, he takes drastic measures to achieve legislative agreement. Lucas further establishes contact with a hacker who claims to be able to help him retrieve Zoe's cell phone records. Rachel contacts her mother and meets some woman on the bus and a church meeting even though Doug forbid to.

S02E04
The Capitol is quarantined and evacuated after a suspect package with white powder is sent. During a live interview Claire reveals that she was sexually assaulted. Jackie and Remy lobby for votes to avoid a Government shutdown. Lucas delves into deep web research and his hacker contact is revealed to be an FBI informant.

S02E05
Francis negotiates unconventionally with the Chinese and pays homage to history. Lucas goes to the extreme to seek justice, but in doing so he walks right into the trap the FBI had set for him on Doug's behalf. Team Underwood expands under dark circumstances. Claire advocates for sexual assault victims.

Last edited by john4200 : 02-16-2014 at 07:32 PM. Reason: reduce to 3 episodes instead of 5
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:04 AM   #2
john4200

I'm not sure what to make of those Senators getting carried back into the chamber. Is there a precedent for that, either the part about them being under arrest, or for them being physically carried in? Or is it complete fiction?

Lucas is really looking like an idiot, getting played by Frank's security people. Although I have a feeling that hacker who is cooperating with law enforcement may go through with getting the phone information and either leaking it himself or giving it to Lucas.

I'm having a really hard time reading Claire. It seems she was telling the truth about the rapist, but it also seems to me that she has some ulterior motive for speaking about it now. Or it could just be that it took her that long to have the courage to speak up about it. Except that she usually strikes me as a stronger woman than that, which is why I suspect an ulterior motive for why she is speaking up now.

I suspect that guy who brought Claire the journal is working for someone, and he is supposed to get close to her or Frank. The question is who is pulling his strings.

I noticed in the credits that Cashew is played by three different "actors". Would that be the charasmatic star, a stunt double for the shoe scene, and a body double for the love scene with his master?

Last edited by john4200 : 02-15-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
stellie93

I vaguely remember in Wisconsin a couple of years ago they tried to force the Democrats to come back to the legislature--some of them went out of state and were safe. Not remembering the details. I don't know, but it probably has happened in Washington in history sometime.

So Claire has had abortions, and she has been raped, but did the one follow the other? I thought she just mentioned the rape because it's the only acceptable time to get an abortion, which she had already confessed. (acceptable to some of Frank's voters in Texas). If she really did have the abortion at the time she had been raped, then why hide the records? If she had it some other time, how did they find the doctor without knowing the when? I'm lost.

I about jumped out of my chair when the computer geek barked. Guy's a little weird.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:41 PM   #4
ElJay

I dunno how realistic it was, but I thought episode 3 was fun to watch.

I assume the motivation for Claire's sudden disclosures will become known later on...
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:08 AM   #5
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I'm not sure what to make of those Senators getting carried back into the chamber. Is there a precedent for that, either the part about them being under arrest, or for them being physically carried in? Or is it complete fiction?
I assume there is a real rule that allows them to empower the Seargeant at Arms to force those in the building back into the chambers. I don't know that they would be able to physically pick up a senator. But in this case, it doesn't matter. The senators who were being carried into the chamber were doing so just to make it more of a circus. Remember, Frank told them he was going to get what he wanted, so they might as well save the other senators the legal troubles and submit to the Seargeant at Arms. And Frank told them that they were welcome to act like they were doing so against their will. Smash cut to them being physically carried, while cuffed and shackled. It was all just a ploy to make them seem like martyrs, while Frank gets his way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
So Claire has had abortions, and she has been raped, but did the one follow the other? I thought she just mentioned the rape because it's the only acceptable time to get an abortion, which she had already confessed. (acceptable to some of Frank's voters in Texas). If she really did have the abortion at the time she had been raped, then why hide the records? If she had it some other time, how did they find the doctor without knowing the when? I'm lost.
They said in episode 5 that the rape and the abortion were five years apart. She clearly realized she'd just stepped off a PR cliff when she admitted to having an abortion, so the only way for it not to have massive political blowback on Frank was to throw in the rape part of the story. Since it seems the rape actually did happen, and the only part that was a lie was the timing and that it was the reason for the abortion, she probably felt justified because at least it opens the dialogue about sexual assault in the military.

I don't know how Grayson knew when the abortion was. All I was thinking when he was getting that journal away from the widow was that this would be a massive violation of HIPAA.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:30 AM   #6
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
The senators who were being carried into the chamber were doing so just to make it more of a circus. Remember, Frank told them he was going to get what he wanted, so they might as well save the other senators the legal troubles and submit to the Seargeant at Arms. And Frank told them that they were welcome to act like they were doing so against their will. Smash cut to them being physically carried, while cuffed and shackled. It was all just a ploy to make them seem like martyrs, while Frank gets his way.
Yes, that was all made abundantly clear by watching the episode.

What I was wondering is whether the writers invented that themselves, or whether there is a precedent of Congress people being physically carried into chambers.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:17 AM   #7
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post

They said in episode 5 that the rape and the abortion were five years apart. She clearly realized she'd just stepped off a PR cliff when she admitted to having an abortion, so the only way for it not to have massive political blowback on Frank was to throw in the rape part of the story. Since it seems the rape actually did happen, and the only part that was a lie was the timing and that it was the reason for the abortion, she probably felt justified because at least it opens the dialogue about sexual assault in the military.
She implied that the abortion was because of the rape because any other reason would be near political suicide for Frank.

I don't think it's still politically viable for her to admit otherwise, just like it wouldn't be politically viable for her to say she's an Atheist.

And it does give her a measure of vengeance against the General.

I found interesting that Underwood was totally willing to torpedo the Chinese negotiations just to get Tusk.
Although when Chapter 18 started, I had to make sure that I accidentally hadn't tuned into Cinemax late night by mistake.

I'm not sure I get why Frank Underwood buried his class ring though.
Breaking with the past?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
She implied that the abortion was because of the rape because any other reason would be near political suicide for Frank.

I don't think it's still politically viable for her to admit otherwise, just like it wouldn't be politically viable for her to say she's an Atheist.

And it does give her a measure of vengeance against the General.
The reps of the Joint Chief's didn't address what was going to happen to Marine General romeo?

I'm smelling that both "Press secretaries are working together and for somebody else. How did the second one know to look for a deceased MD back home?"

Quote:
I found interesting that Underwood was totally willing to torpedo the Chinese negotiations just to get Tusk.
Gerald McRaney is doing a great job as the ruthless Tusk, worthy of a best supporting award. I could have seen Fred Thompson in that role, but not as good.

Quote:
IAlthough when Chapter 18 started, I had to make sure that I accidentally hadn't tuned into Cinemax late night by mistake.
"Pay them 10,000." DOLLARS? I'd be there!

Ya think that Chan will screw up and give Frank the ammo to shame him?

Quote:
II'm not sure I get why Frank Underwood buried his class ring though.
Breaking with the past?
He said it had been passed down father to father. I guess he's giving it back.

I'm getting weary of all of the Frank and Claire evil. We aren't getting any reason to identify or have sympathy for them. Tony Soprano wasn't just a cold killer like Tony Montana.

Frank goes from being one of many visitors to the oval to replacing the Prez's most trusted advisor in a few weeks?

I can't see any reason why Claire needs to set up up Christina for hate, other than to chip away at the POTUS. It's not like having the first lady confronting him with a false charge of infidelity is going to make resign.

Besides Frank said that Christina as a spy in the inner circle of the Prez is proving useful.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 02-21-2014 at 11:48 AM.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:04 AM   #9
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
The reps of the Joint Chief's didn't address what was going to happen to Marine General romeo?
She called him a rapist on National Television. At minimum, he was publicly humiliated and in trouble with his wife and superiors.

Quote:
Spoiler:

And Tusk had no hesitation in blacking out the whole southeast? And he wonders why he's losing the ear of the POTUS.
Whoa now! That happened in Episode 6.

My point was that it was risky maneuver as Underwood took a hit too.
The President feels that he failed with China.

Quote:
Gerald McRaney is doing a great job as the ruthless Tusk, worthy of a best supporting award. I could have seen Fred in that role, but not as good.
I agree. I've felt for years that McRaney is an underrated actor.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:58 AM   #10
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I was waiting for the hacker to pull out a weapon and off the Fed.

If he wasn't being watched so closely he could still do a lot of damage to the conspiracy.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #11
SoBelle0
What's next?

I couldn't* buy that a reporter (used to be the boss, even, right?) thinks that 'for a story' anyone is going to give him a tour of a very secure facility, and even let him walk in and look at the servers. He's been shown to be smarter than that. And, especially now that he's super paranoid that Underwood and Stamper are after them... just didn't fit. I do hope that the hacker continues to try and access the information. I don't know how or what he'd do with it... but, it does seem likely that for the story to continue he or the reporter or Dana (whatshername on this show?) are going to have to get some evidence to keep going.

*Edited the erroneous "could" to correctly read "couldn't."

Last edited by SoBelle0 : 02-25-2014 at 06:40 PM.
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote