TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:14 PM   #31
hsawtelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
You are using the wrong type of cable. Each port has three outputs: one port has audioR, audioL, and composite video; the other has component video (red,green,blue). You are using a cable for a port with only two outputs and the video is mixing in with the audio. Probably best to use the breakout AV cable sold by Tivo.
I'm getting the horrid buzz WITH the tivo branded breakout cable. BOOOOO. Any fix for this? If not I'll have to return the mini. ..
hsawtelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:39 AM   #32
andrews777

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsawtelle View Post
I'm getting the horrid buzz WITH the tivo branded breakout cable. BOOOOO. Any fix for this? If not I'll have to return the mini. ..
I don't have their cable, but I used 2 from Amazon and they work fine. I did have to play around a bit to get them matched the right way, but mine have white, red and yellow for both of them. I currently have red to off red, white to blue and yellow to green, in case that helps. Everything is fine.

If you still have problems it is likely a problem with the cable, mini or your TV. Get the right one replaced and it should work fine.

Roamio, 3 Minis
andrews777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:19 AM   #33
hsawtelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews777 View Post
I don't have their cable, but I used 2 from Amazon and they work fine. I did have to play around a bit to get them matched the right way, but mine have white, red and yellow for both of them. I currently have red to off red, white to blue and yellow to green, in case that helps. Everything is fine.

If you still have problems it is likely a problem with the cable, mini or your TV. Get the right one replaced and it should work fine.
Thanks for the reply.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that the horrid buzz you experienced was fixed by experimentally swapping where the plugs of the breakout cables were plugged into your TV until you found a configuration that worked?

My understanding was your buzz was coming from the A/V plug (breaks out to left, right, and composite video), not the component video plug. The component video is working fine for me, but I am getting the horrible buzz from the A/V plug. I will try swapping the wires around but since I'm using the Tivo brand wires and taking red --> red and white --> white it seems like that should have worked. I'm getting stereo sound, but with a loud background buzz.

I know it's not the A/V receiver because it plays other sources fine through that input. I do have another cable set because I accidentally bought two; I will try the other cable.

If that doesn't work I guess I will return the mini for a replacement. Maybe something is shorted out internally.

Here's another random factoid: in the course of troubleshooting, I tried plugging in a two-conductor (earphones) miniplug into the A/V Breakout jack, and there are positions of that plug (partial insertion) that yield clean mono or stereo sound with no buzzing. However, there is NO position or amount of manipulation of the Tivo-branded three-conductor plug that gives clean audio. (unfortunately, full insertion of the two-conductor plug leads to buzzing, so that is not a permanent solution).

Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by hsawtelle : 01-22-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #34
andrews777

Quote:
If I understand you correctly, you're saying that the horrid buzz you experienced was fixed by experimentally swapping where the plugs of the breakout cables were plugged into your TV until you found a configuration that worked?
I don't remember exactly what happened, I just remember that I had some big troubles until I got things plugged in right. YMMV of course.

It could be that this does not apply to your situation. It would be nice to try a replacement audio cable in your case. Your description here does make it sound like either the cable or that port in the Mini is messed up.

Does the TV have just the red/white/yellow connectors? Have you tried that? How does the sound work in that case? It would seem to imply the problem was outside the cable and Mini port if that worked.

Roamio, 3 Minis
Old 01-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #35
hsawtelle

Quote:
I don't remember exactly what happened, I just remember that I had some big troubles until I got things plugged in right. YMMV of course.

It could be that this does not apply to your situation. It would be nice to try a replacement audio cable in your case. Your description here does make it sound like either the cable or that port in the Mini is messed up.

Does the TV have just the red/white/yellow connectors? Have you tried that? How does the sound work in that case? It would seem to imply the problem was outside the cable and Mini port if that worked.
HUGE troubleshooting breakthrough - buzz goes away when coax (I'm using MoCA) is disconnected from the mini...

off to the crawlspace now to see where the coax is coming from...
Old 01-25-2014, 03:57 PM   #36
cuyahoga

Quote:
HUGE troubleshooting breakthrough - buzz goes away when coax (I'm using MoCA) is disconnected from the mini...

off to the crawlspace now to see where the coax is coming from...
I'm having the same issue. I wonder if it can be fixed at the TiVo end instead of somewhere else in my coax run.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #37
hsawtelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuyahoga View Post
I'm having the same issue. I wonder if it can be fixed at the TiVo end instead of somewhere else in my coax run.
There is hope! I bought this at Radio Shack (stereo audio ground loop isolator):

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...FQt1QgodegUAjg

And it worked! for the Audio. I am still getting some pretty severe banding (scrolling lines) on the component video. So I ordered this (coax ground loop isolator):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0070Q6URO/

I'm going to try hooking it up at the Tivo Mini (since this is the only place in my house where the ground loop is a problem). Don't know if it will work, or if it does whether it will kill MoCA.

If that doesn't work, I think an HDMI -> DVI adapter should do it. I have a DVI in on the TV, and I've never had any banding with that input. And I have the audio sorted separately as explained above.

I have learned a lot!

Good luck
Old 01-25-2014, 11:57 PM   #38
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

hsawtelle, not to scare you, but your symptoms are likely caused by improper grounding... either in the cable system, or in your home's electrical system. The differences in the level of "ground" causes the hum.

On the cable tv side, they used to drive a rod into the ground and attach it at the point of entry. More commonly these days, in residential settings I've seen a grounding wire run to a water pipe in the basement. (Google pictures of coax splitters and you'll find lots that have a ground screw on em.)

Long-term, the current flowing through anything connected to the two systems probably isnt going to be super healthy for them.

Google "ground loop" and "open ground"

A friend of mine, a good number of years back, blew up lots of equipment until they diagnosed that his whole house mis-wired, was trying to dump a lot of power into ground, and wasn't grounded... *boom* goes the cable box, receiver, tv, poor cable installer guy who got zapped, etc.

To quote wikipedia:
"In an electrical system, a ground loop usually refers to a current, almost always unwanted, in a conductor connecting two points that are supposed to be at the same potential, often ground, but are actually at different potentials.

Some of the most notorious effects of ground loops are the noise and interference that can become present in audio, video, and radio transmission systems. They can also create an electric shock hazard, since ostensibly "grounded" parts of the equipment, which are often accessible to users, are not at ground potential."
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #39
hsawtelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
hsawtelle, not to scare you, but your symptoms are likely caused by improper grounding... either in the cable system, or in your home's electrical system. The differences in the level of "ground" causes the hum.

On the cable tv side, they used to drive a rod into the ground and attach it at the point of entry. More commonly these days, in residential settings I've seen a grounding wire run to a water pipe in the basement. (Google pictures of coax splitters and you'll find lots that have a ground screw on em.)

Long-term, the current flowing through anything connected to the two systems probably isnt going to be super healthy for them.

Google "ground loop" and "open ground"

A friend of mine, a good number of years back, blew up lots of equipment until they diagnosed that his whole house mis-wired, was trying to dump a lot of power into ground, and wasn't grounded... *boom* goes the cable box, receiver, tv, poor cable installer guy who got zapped, etc.

To quote wikipedia:
"In an electrical system, a ground loop usually refers to a current, almost always unwanted, in a conductor connecting two points that are supposed to be at the same potential, often ground, but are actually at different potentials.

Some of the most notorious effects of ground loops are the noise and interference that can become present in audio, video, and radio transmission systems. They can also create an electric shock hazard, since ostensibly "grounded" parts of the equipment, which are often accessible to users, are not at ground potential."
Not scared. Thanks for the info.

I've lived here 10 years with many devices hooked up to cable & power; nothing fried (or failed to work for that matter) yet, so I don't think my issue is as severe as what you've described.

Swapping my Comcast box for this Tivo Mini is the first time the problem has come up in 10 years. I'm sure the problem is likely systemic, but if I can fix it at the one point it's causing trouble, I'm totes going for it.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #40
hsawtelle

Quote:
There is hope! I bought this at Radio Shack (stereo audio ground loop isolator):

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...FQt1QgodegUAjg

And it worked! for the Audio. I am still getting some pretty severe banding (scrolling lines) on the component video. So I ordered this (coax ground loop isolator):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0070Q6URO/

I'm going to try hooking it up at the Tivo Mini (since this is the only place in my house where the ground loop is a problem). Don't know if it will work, or if it does whether it will kill MoCA.

If that doesn't work, I think an HDMI -> DVI adapter should do it. I have a DVI in on the TV, and I've never had any banding with that input. And I have the audio sorted separately as explained above.

I have learned a lot!

Good luck
Final update: the cable ground loop isolator (Amazon link above) worked great and solved the audio buzzing AND video banding issues. I screwed it right into the back of the Mini and screwed the coax into the isolator. MoCA connection is still strong.

Returned the audio GLI to Radio Shack.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #41
Bigg

Get a new TV. You're dropping $250 on a TiVo Mini, and hooking it up to something that was obsolete 5 years ago so you can get a blurry picture from your HD equipment? Do it right.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #42
hsawtelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Get a new TV. You're dropping $250 on a TiVo Mini, and hooking it up to something that was obsolete 5 years ago so you can get a blurry picture from your HD equipment? Do it right.
To whom are you replying? Write a letter to Tivo and tell them to remove the outputs you find personally abhorrent. Do it right.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #43
drjlb

Quote:

That's what happened with me. I tried a 3.5mm to a two audio out cable (red and white) and there was a horrible buzzing. Tried it on my second Mini, same problem. I then used a breakout cable with red, white, and yellow outputs and got the same buzzing on both Minis when I used the red and white plugs (no yellow). I swapped the yellow for the white, and the sound was normal on both Minis. I think TiVo messed up the 3.5mm jack. Anyway, swapping the jacks worked for me.
drjlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #44
hsawtelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlb View Post
That's what happened with me. I tried a 3.5mm to a two audio out cable (red and white) and there was a horrible buzzing. Tried it on my second Mini, same problem. I then used a breakout cable with red, white, and yellow outputs and got the same buzzing on both Minis when I used the red and white plugs (no yellow). I swapped the yellow for the white, and the sound was normal on both Minis. I think TiVo messed up the 3.5mm jack. Anyway, swapping the jacks worked for me.
Swapping didn't stop the buzzing for me, but the GLI did. I'm on the red/white plugs with good stereo. So if they messed up the jack, it's only in some Minis apparently. Two solutions for people to try! yay
Old 02-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #45
Bigg

Quote:
To whom are you replying? Write a letter to Tivo and tell them to remove the outputs you find personally abhorrent. Do it right.
To the OP. It's not a bad idea to have them on there for testing/ temporary setups, connecting to a Slingbox or whatever, but in this day and age, when you can get an HDTV for so cheap, it's pretty stupid to put a $250 box on an old standard def set.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #46
andrews777

Quote:
To the OP. It's not a bad idea to have them on there for testing/ temporary setups, connecting to a Slingbox or whatever, but in this day and age, when you can get an HDTV for so cheap, it's pretty stupid to put a $250 box on an old standard def set.

Not necessarily. I removed the TivoHD I used to have on my home office TV and now have a Mini there. No more cable fee for the cable card, even though my TV was just prior to HD mania.

Still about $200 for a "new" TV (I need a 24" one or so for where I have it, larger is too big).

Roamio, 3 Minis
Old 02-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #47
Bigg

Quote:
Not necessarily. I removed the TivoHD I used to have on my home office TV and now have a Mini there. No more cable fee for the cable card, even though my TV was just prior to HD mania.

Still about $200 for a "new" TV (I need a 24" one or so for where I have it, larger is too big).
And that's still less than the cost of the Mini. There's just no reason to have SD sets around anymore.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:26 PM   #48
andrews777

Quote:
And that's still less than the cost of the Mini. There's just no reason to have SD sets around anymore.
So you are sending me the money for that? How nice of you....

Roamio, 3 Minis
Old 02-13-2014, 07:58 PM   #49
Bigg

Quote:
So you are sending me the money for that? How nice of you....
I've been all-LCD and all-HD for several years now.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #50
ncfoster

Quote:
I get what you are saying, but there are some edge cases where I think it makes sense. In my bedroom, for example, we have an old piece of furniture that fits the SD set, but might be tricky to fit an HD set in, much less a decent-sized one. At the same time, having seen how the Minis work, I am tempted to get a second one (especially if I can get as good of a deal on it as I did on the first). At the end of the day, the set gets very little use, and will be more likely to be used to schedule the random recording when we've retired for the evening, rather than actual viewing.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #51
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post
I get what you are saying, but there are some edge cases where I think it makes sense. In my bedroom, for example, we have an old piece of furniture that fits the SD set, but might be tricky to fit an HD set in, much less a decent-sized one. At the same time, having seen how the Minis work, I am tempted to get a second one (especially if I can get as good of a deal on it as I did on the first). At the end of the day, the set gets very little use, and will be more likely to be used to schedule the random recording when we've retired for the evening, rather than actual viewing.
Ugh. I have seen this example too many times. People (my parents included) bought these giant cabinets for TVs that now make no sense in the modern context of HDTVs. My parents have one that they are holding on to, because they paid some absurd amount of money to buy it to hide a big old CRT, and now it has the downstairs TV limited to 37". I've tried to convince them to move it upstairs and use it for storage, and get something more appropriate downstairs. One of their friends limited himself to a 47" TV in their main viewing area, which is very spacious, because of an old cabinet, which sucks, because the room could easily use a 70-80" TV.

That being said, if you really deem that the furniture is more important than the TV, there are HDTVs that will fit literally any space.

If all you need is scheduling, just use the smartphone or iPad apps.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #52
ncfoster

Quote:
Ugh. I have seen this example too many times. People (my parents included) bought these giant cabinets for TVs that now make no sense in the modern context of HDTVs. My parents have one that they are holding on to, because they paid some absurd amount of money to buy it to hide a big old CRT, and now it has the downstairs TV limited to 37". I've tried to convince them to move it upstairs and use it for storage, and get something more appropriate downstairs. One of their friends limited himself to a 47" TV in their main viewing area, which is very spacious, because of an old cabinet, which sucks, because the room could easily use a 70-80" TV.

That being said, if you really deem that the furniture is more important than the TV, there are HDTVs that will fit literally any space.

If all you need is scheduling, just use the smartphone or iPad apps.
It seems like you are quite concerned with being right about this, rather than accepting different strokes for different folks.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:17 PM   #53
eochs

I called tivo today after getting a mini two weeks ago. Said I wasn't told when ordering that I needed to buy another cable to do component. She immediately sent me the av cable for free! My bedroom tv has only one HDmi port, and I have a roku 3 on that for prime and hbo go
eochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:09 AM   #54
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post
It seems like you are quite concerned with being right about this, rather than accepting different strokes for different folks.
I know I'm right about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eochs View Post
I called tivo today after getting a mini two weeks ago. Said I wasn't told when ordering that I needed to buy another cable to do component. She immediately sent me the av cable for free! My bedroom tv has only one HDmi port, and I have a roku 3 on that for prime and hbo go
It's called an HDMI switch. They have ones that are auto-switching and don't require external power for 2-3 sources.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
Old 02-17-2014, 12:43 AM   #55
ncfoster

Quote:
I know I'm right about it.
Just keep telling yourself that.

Quote:
It's called an HDMI switch. They have ones that are auto-switching and don't require external power for 2-3 sources.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
I have a Monoprice HDMI switch in my setup, and while it helps me solve some problems, it is not perfect, especially for someone not very technically inclined. This one replaced another model, which was just completely unusable.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #56
sathead

Quote:
We have a old 5" LCD TV on the shelf in front of our treadmill- I have the A/V Breakout cable (with 20' extension) from the TiVo connected to it's A/V in connector.
On that 5" screen while walking on the treadmill- there would be no difference between sd screen resolution and a hd screen. It also lets me use an existing piece of hardware I already own with no additional cost- so that's useful too.
sathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:42 PM   #57
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathead View Post
We have a old 5" LCD TV on the shelf in front of our treadmill- I have the A/V Breakout cable (with 20' extension) from the TiVo connected to it's A/V in connector.
On that 5" screen while walking on the treadmill- there would be no difference between sd screen resolution and a hd screen. It also lets me use an existing piece of hardware I already own with no additional cost- so that's useful too.
You could get an LCD HDTV to watch instead that would support the full resolution of the TiVo Mini. And a 5" screen for video? That's awful. That's worse than an iPad!