TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
ron.wilson

Roamio Pro Moca Question

Ok so I have done my research and just want some verification before I step into the Tivo waters for the first time (super excited by the way)...

I am getting ready to purchase a Roamio Pro and 4 Tivo Minis. My network equipment for my house is located in my office. I do not have any ethernet ran to any of the rooms. So my question is...I want to add a Moca adapter to my office where the cable modem and router live. I then want to use the Roamio Pro, that is in my media cabinet, to 'bring' ethernet to my other devcies in that cabinet (Xbox 360, PS3, Apple TV, and a Slingbox). I want my Tivo Minis in other rooms around the house to work on the Moca network.

Will that work. If I have the Moca adapter in the office connected direct to the router the Tivo Minis should connect up correct? Also, the bigger question here, the Tivo Roamio can act as an 'ethernet bridge' for my other devices (I would have a switch connected to the Roamio Pro) since it ins't really the Moca 'host' but more of a Moca 'client'.

Should this work and work reliably?
ron.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
tatergator1

You've got a good handle on the setup. Everything should work just as you've described.

Personally, my MoCA network has been rock-solid. There have been a few posts regarding MoCA issues, but they seem to be rare. Assuming the coax wiring in your home is good quality, you shouldn't have any issues with reliability.

Also, a POE Filter would be recommended to increase signal strength within your home, as well as prevent your network from being accessible to others outside. The filter would be installed on the line coming into your home, before it enters any splitters which spread the signal to the rest of your house. Of course, this is not applicable if you have your service through Verizon FiOS.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
ron.wilson

Sweet...House is only 8 years old so I am sure infrastructure is fine. Are these what I need? Sorry won't let me post URLs yet

POE
x.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DC8IEE6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2E65I5CQT64X1

Moca Adapter
x.amazon.com/gp/product/B008C1JC4O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1G276A0K2VD4S
Old 02-14-2014, 08:54 PM   #4
BigJimOutlaw

Sounds like you're all set to go. Those items are a bit cheaper on tivo.com.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
SOCATivo

I thought with XL4 and later (surely Romio Pro), you donít need additional MoCa equipment?

My XL4 and Mini are just connected via cable (the XL4 to the Ethernet switch acting as a MoCa host, or whatever itís called).

Am I missing something?
Old 02-15-2014, 07:56 PM   #6
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCATivo View Post
I thought with XL4 and later (surely Romio Pro), you donít need additional MoCa equipment?

My XL4 and Mini are just connected via cable (the XL4 to the Ethernet switch acting as a MoCa host, or whatever itís called).

Am I missing something?
FIOS puts Moca on the wire, otherwise you can either use an XL4, Roamio Plus or Pro, or a moca adapter to get ethernet over coax.

In the original posters case, they have no ethernet near the Roamio, so they are going to use a Moca adapter to create/host the moca network, and then the roamio and the minis will all connect to the moca network to get network access.

Additionally, in their case, they are going to use the moca bridge in the Roamio pro to provide ethernet to their other devices in the media center. The bridges go both ways, so add a switch and you can feed other devices ethernet!
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:41 PM   #7
SOCATivo

Ignad, thanks for the details. Informative
Old 02-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
ron.wilson

You guys are super great. Order everything today. Charter comes on Thursday and my Tivos should come in on Wednesday.

Ordered 1 Roamio Pro on Amazon for $523 (could do the Plus and a DIY hard drive upgrade any cheaper than that)

3 tivo minis

1 moca adapter

1 poe protector

Looking forward to joining the Tivo community!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #9
moonscape

Welcome! You won't be sorry
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote