TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
timr_42

serial/IR suggestions needed.

I have used Serial on my cable box for one of my S2's since I've had it. Used analog for the other two that I had at the time. Now, since Charter has moved to full digtial, it has made me put another box in the mix.

Background...A few years ago, I started having problems with some of the channels(mostley channels over 100,but not all) where if you would change to channel lets say, 500, the cable box would change to 500, then to 501, 502 until it would finally stop on a channel it liked. I did receive all those channels but for some reason the communication from Tivo to cable box just didn't work. At the time, I tried to switch over to IR. That actually made things worse. If it would try and change to 54, I may get 5 or 4 or something other than 54. I did try and build a wall around the IR like was suggested at the time, but finally gave up and went back to serial.

Now, today, neither really is not working very well. This is with the new Charter switchover and new channel lineup. Serial is now working like the IR use to. Sometimes it works, and now sometimes it doesn't. For example, I tried to record a hockey game on MSNBC this morning at 3:30am. It was on channel 54. I got up to find I recorded channel 4. This is with serial. I have set up my other S2 with IR to see how it would work, and really it works the same way it always had, not very reliable.

I seem now to not trust any way to change channels on either S2's. Any suggestions on how I can fix this????
timr_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

This does not happen with later Tivos with multiple tuners and cable cards (optional). With today's Roamio, it records 4-6 channels at once on cable cards.

Using a cable box with either serial or IR is unreliable. However, its possible you may have set the Tivo's channel changing speed a little too slow. So, when it wants channel 54, it sends the 5 and waits (box changes to 5), then comes the 4 (box then changes to 4), records.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
mattack

Yes, get a Tivo with a cable card, and *unless* you have SDV, once you get it set up, it should "just work".. (yes, there are sporadic bugs, but it will DEFINITELY work better than trying to control a separate cable box!)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
timr_42

I just got a Roamio (replacing a monthly S2) but still wanted to use my two lifetimed S2's.

Serial was not so unrelable, but now both serial and I/R are.

You mentioned slowing down/speeding up signals. I remember this from a long time ago, but don't seem to remember how to do that.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
cannonz

My only experience with using box control is the last 3 months using a direct plug in IR cable with a DTA hasn't missed anything yet recording at least 2 shows a day and of course lots of changes by me, has been flawless.
cannonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by timr_42 View Post
I just got a Roamio (replacing a monthly S2) but still wanted to use my two lifetimed S2's.

Serial was not so unrelable, but now both serial and I/R are.

You mentioned slowing down/speeding up signals. I remember this from a long time ago, but don't seem to remember how to do that.
Go to Settings then Channels - Channel Changing.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:46 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

My wife had a S2 with a cable box (Motorola) for a long time and it suddenly started doing the exact same thing. My Mom's did to. I think they released some sort of software update to the box and broke the serial port because it worked fine for years. We got rid of that box and TiVo and switched to a Roamio + Mini instead.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
My wife had a S2 with a cable box (Motorola) for a long time and it suddenly started doing the exact same thing. My Mom's did to. I think they released some sort of software update to the box and broke the serial port because it worked fine for years. We got rid of that box and TiVo and switched to a Roamio + Mini instead.
That was the cable company borking the cable box, not TiVo borking the TiVo, right?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:18 PM   #9
timr_42

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
That was the cable company borking the cable box, not TiVo borking the TiVo, right?
I watched the channel switch and it is functioning different that it use to. Since these S2's, I can't believe it's a tivo update that is causing it.

So, now here is what I see. Let's say the cable box is set to 50. Tivo sends a signal to change it to 48. The cable box display will then show 48 for a split second. It will then flash back to 50. Then it may go back to 48, but a lot of times it will go to 4.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #10
cannonz

I would try redoing IR set up again if it's a different cable box and or software. Dan203 was referring to the cable box not the tivo getting update or different software.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:17 AM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Yeah this suddenly started happening on a couple of S2 units that hadn't gotten a software update from TiVo in like 5 years, so I assume the cable box got an update that f*cked it up.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #12
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Yeah this suddenly started happening on a couple of S2 units that hadn't gotten a software update from TiVo in like 5 years, so I assume the cable box got an update that f*cked it up.
Yes, I would assume that, also. It's happened before; I think our area got serial disabled about 9-10 years ago for several months due to a cable company update.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #13
timr_42

I think I may have found the solution for the I/R for my problem.

I was trying to look for how to slow the signal down(didn't find it for some reason), but while going thru the setup again, there is an option about hitting the enter key. the options were no(typical) and yes. I have always selected no because I don't have to on my charter remote. Just as a test, I selected yes instead.

I did this yesterday morning. Since then, I have not missed a channel switch. I hope this continues, but it seems like this may be my answer.

Thanks guys for your help
Old 02-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #14
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by timr_42 View Post
I think I may have found the solution for the I/R for my problem.

I was trying to look for how to slow the signal down(didn't find it for some reason), but while going thru the setup again, there is an option about hitting the enter key. the options were no(typical) and yes. I have always selected no because I don't have to on my charter remote. Just as a test, I selected yes instead.

I did this yesterday morning. Since then, I have not missed a channel switch. I hope this continues, but it seems like this may be my answer.

Thanks guys for your help
The option to slow it down is right there with the option to include "enter". I think it's only there for IR, not serial.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote