TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #121
hybucket

I've just ordered the Roamio basic, and have been reading thru all this about the remotes. Not being too bright, here are a couple of stupid questions before the unit arrives:
IR and RF....what do the current remotes use?
Will the older remotes work on the Roamio (not that I want them to)?
I will have three TiVO units operating...can I set the Roamio to...say...code 3, use the Roamio remote, and not have the Roamio affect other units? I have the other units/remotes set on 1 and 2.
Would I want to leave it on IR or RF?
I'm confused.
hybucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #122
rainwater

1) The Roamio remotes can do both but it should auto pair and use RF by default. There are ways to manually set it to IR or RF.
2) Yes, older remotes work just fine. The new remotes have a back button but that is really the only difference.
3) Sure but if the Roamio remote is in RF mode there is no need to set the remote code (it only affects IR). You can set the remote code on the Roamio just like any other TiVo. However, you will have to use a non Roamio remote to do this easily since when it is in RF mode the remote code does not matter.
4) RF will work through obstructions (no line of sight is needed). So if you are using the Roamio remote, you will want to leave it in RF mode.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #123
hybucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
1) The Roamio remotes can do both but it should auto pair and use RF by default. There are ways to manually set it to IR or RF.
2) Yes, older remotes work just fine. The new remotes have a back button but that is really the only difference.
3) Sure but if the Roamio remote is in RF mode there is no need to set the remote code (it only affects IR). You can set the remote code on the Roamio just like any other TiVo. However, you will have to use a non Roamio remote to do this easily since when it is in RF mode the remote code does not matter.
4) RF will work through obstructions (no line of sight is needed). So if you are using the Roamio remote, you will want to leave it in RF mode.
So...from what I get, the Roamio remote is set to RF, and the older remotes run on IR.
What I'd really like to do is use a Universal remote with the Roamio, as I do now with the other two TiVOs. My plan is to set the Roamio code to #2, which is what I currently use on my Premiere, which I will eventually retire, and use the Universal remote set to the #2 code for the Roamio. I have an older remote I would use and set with the Premiere to #3 until I retire it. Does this sound reasonable and do-able?
Old 10-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #124
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybucket View Post
So...from what I get, the Roamio remote is set to RF, and the older remotes run on IR.
What I'd really like to do is use a Universal remote with the Roamio, as I do now with the other two TiVOs. My plan is to set the Roamio code to #2, which is what I currently use on my Premiere, which I will eventually retire, and use the Universal remote set to the #2 code for the Roamio. I have an older remote I would use and set with the Premiere to #3 until I retire it. Does this sound reasonable and do-able?
Sure. Using a remote code like 2 is the same on the Roamio. But like I said, you will just need to use another remote besides the Roamio remote to set the remote code (just go to System Information with the remote you currently have set to 2 and hit any button to set it).
Old 10-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #125
hybucket

Quote:
Sure. Using a remote code like 2 is the same on the Roamio. But like I said, you will just need to use another remote besides the Roamio remote to set the remote code (just go to System Information with the remote you currently have set to 2 and hit any button to set it).
You are a fountain of information.
Forgive my ignorance, but, you mean, all I have to do (for code) when I get the Roamio is go to the SI screen, point the #2 remote at it, hit ANY button, and that will set it to #2 so I can use THAT remote on it???
Old 10-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #126
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybucket View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but, you mean, all I have to do (for code) when I get the Roamio is go to the SI screen, point the #2 remote at it, hit ANY button, and that will set it to #2 so I can use THAT remote on it???
Yes. When on the System Info screen, the TiVo will listen to any remote command no matter what remote code is used and it will set it's remote code to whatever is being used by the remote. So if you already have a remote configured with remote code 2, you do not need to make any changes to the remote but just need to set the remote code on the TiVo itself.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #127
keenanSR

Looking for some help with remote pairing. It seems no matter what I do both the Roamio and my Series 3 always get set to the same remote address, or the Roamio gets reset back to "0". I never had this problem when running a Series 3 and a TiVo HD. I've used the Series 3 remote to set the addresses and made sure the IR sensors were covered of the unit not being set.

My main remote is a Harmony which may complicate matters. I've read the above and more about remote setting elsewhere and as I noted never had trouble before, until I got the Roamio.

Any help, I'm sure I'm missing something easy, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #128
c3
TiVoholic

Put the Roamio remote in IR mode first (TiVo-C). The rest of the process should be the same as other TiVos. After IR pairing is done, then you can switch back to RF mode (TiVo-D).
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #129
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
Put the Roamio remote in IR mode first (TiVo-C). The rest of the process should be the same as other TiVos. After IR pairing is done, then you can switch back to RF mode (TiVo-D).
But if I'm reading the previous posts correctly I need to use a TiVo remote other than the Roamio remote when setting the address?
Old 11-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #130
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR View Post
But if I'm reading the previous posts correctly I need to use a TiVo remote other than the Roamio remote when setting the address?
Not if you put it in IR mode. However, if you don't want to deal with pairing/re-pairing the remote it is easier to use another remote.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #131
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Once the remote is in the IR mode, you can use TiVo-Pause and then 1/2/3/etc. to set the IR code, just like other IR-only TiVo remotes.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #132
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
However, if you don't want to deal with pairing/re-pairing the remote it is easier to use another remote.
Shouldn't the Roamio remote be paired in the IR mode anyway, even if you intend to use it in the RF mode? When the remote does not get an acknowledgement back, it starts to transmit an IR signal which may be recognized by other TiVos.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #133
keenanSR

When I put the Roamio remote into IR mode and then go to the System screen to set the code the remote does not operate as non-Roamio remotes do, it doesn't blink when holding Pause and TiVo buttons, nothing happens. If I follow through with the procedure even without that setup blinking it does not change the address.

And to provide more info on my situation, I plan to use a Harmony 880 as my remote, my TiVo remotes are not used at all on a daily basis. This is what I've done in the past with a Series 3 and an HD and never had a problem.

Thanks
Old 11-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #134
c3
TiVoholic

1. Navigate to the system info screen.
2. Take the remote to another room.
3. TiVo-C for IR mode.
4. TiVo-Pause until the LED is lit. Then press 1/2/3/etc. to set the code. LED should blink.
5. Go back to the TiVo and press up/down to set/see the IR code, which should be the same as what you just set on the remote.
6. Exit the system info screen.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #135
keenanSR

Quote:
1. Navigate to the system info screen.
2. Take the remote to another room.
3. TiVo-C for IR mode.
4. TiVo-Pause until the LED is lit. Then press 1/2/3/etc. to set the code. LED should blink.
5. Go back to the TiVo and press up/down to set/see the IR code, which should be the same as what you just set on the remote.
6. Exit the system info screen.

This is with the Roamio remote? No. 4 never happens, when pressing TiVo-Pause I never get a red LED, only when I release the buttons does the red light blink.

I pulled the batteries and tried again, same result.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #136
David Knowles

Hello,

Question on the Roamio remote (my new Roamio is on it's way) which I probably should have asked before I bought…

Can I use IR and RF at the same time? I have a system that sends the signals to another room. This sends the remote signals as well and it uses a IR blaster to operate the Tivo.

Will this still work?

Thanks
David Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #137
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
This is with the Roamio remote? No. 4 never happens, when pressing TiVo-Pause I never get a red LED, only when I release the buttons does the red light blink.

I pulled the batteries and tried again, same result.
I just tested my Roamio remote. The behavior that I described is correct.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #138
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knowles View Post
Can I use IR and RF at the same time?
yes
Old 11-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #139
David Knowles

Perfect!!

Thank you.

I am anxious to get it.

I was going to go to Best Buy to buy it, but Tivo offered me $50 off the Plus...
David Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #140
HarperVision

Quote:
Perfect!! Thank you. I am anxious to get it. I was going to go to Best Buy to buy it, but Tivo offered me $50 off the Plus...
Best Buy probably would have price matched that. The one's near me are awesome that way. They even match Amazon!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:19 AM   #141
Devx

Quote:
Hello,

Question on the Roamio remote (my new Roamio is on it's way) which I probably should have asked before I bought…

Can I use IR and RF at the same time? I have a system that sends the signals to another room. This sends the remote signals as well and it uses a IR blaster to operate the Tivo.

Will this still work?

Thanks
Not sure of your setup but if you plan to use the Tivo remote in any way it will likely still work with the Tivo in another room. I've tested the Tivo RF remote from a distance up to 30ft through multiple walls. I believe others have tried it further and it still worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Best Buy probably would have price matched that. The one's near me are awesome that way. They even match Amazon!
Best Buy started this last year around the holiday shopping season I believe to curtail the number of people using their stores as a showroom and then going home to buy on Amazon.com. They now have a standard low price guarantee that applies across all BB stores to price match most of their major online competitors in addition to their pre-existing local price matching policy.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #142
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
yes
? I don't think the Roamio remote emits IR except for TV controls when it is in RF mode...
Old 11-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #143
keenanSR

Quote:
I just tested my Roamio remote. The behavior that I described is correct.
So should I assume my remote is defective? When doing No.4 I never get a lit LED, only when I've released one or both of the buttons do I get a blink of the LED.

Weird... Also, it seems no matter what address I set the Roamio to it always seems to find it's way back to "0".

I can't help but think that I'm doing something incorrectly, but at this point I have no idea what that might be.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:39 PM   #144
erikwurz

Can I set me Roamio to ignore the Tivo HD IR remote? Currently I have one under the other and the HD remote keeps screwing around with my Roamio. Using a card in front of the Roamio blocks the IR signal but I would rather disable the IR sensor altogether.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #145
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikwurz View Post
Can I set me Roamio to ignore the Tivo HD IR remote? Currently I have one under the other and the HD remote keeps screwing around with my Roamio. Using a card in front of the Roamio blocks the IR signal but I would rather disable the IR sensor altogether.
Assuming you actually assigned a remote code to the TiVo HD and the remote, the easiest way would be to temporarily assign a different remote code to the HD remote, use it to navigate to the system info page of the Roamio, exit, then set the HD remote back to it's previous code. Make sure that the HD is not on the system info page prior to starting this process.

If the HD and remote haven't been set with a code, it is still possible, with just a couple more steps.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:36 AM   #146
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Does the Roamio Remote have the ability to learn IR?

Title asks it, do the (non-slide) remotes that come with the Roamio Pro have the ability to be taught IR commands?

I'd like to teach it to change the TV Input command to toggle through the inputs on my Denon AVR-X3000 receiver. Which is a bit problematic as the Denon remote doesn't come with an input toggle, but has discrete buttons for each.

This leads to the question of whether or not a numeric code can be used to put that function on the Roamio remote's TV input?

Anyway, is it capable of learning IR or not?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #147
mypape

Yes the regular remote that comes with the Roamio does both IR and RF. Yes it can learn ir codes to control your tv and avr.
mypape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #148
midson

It can't learn anything beyond the codes supplied with the remote. For example, I could program the power and volume on my Dynex TV with the included codes, but the input button would not work. I used the slide pro remote, which does have the ability to learn commands from other remotes.
midson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:37 PM   #149
sts1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeach View Post
I have my remotes set up to control the volume on my Denon and Sony receivers (different rooms), but I've never gotten the remotes to turn the receiver on/off, have you?
I just bought a Pro and was trying to set the remote to turn on the tv and receiver using the green button. Remotes for my previous units would work to do this, sending out two signals I guess.

I just went through an online chat with a Tivo rep who said that the Roamio remote wouldn't power more then the tv. Does anyone know a hack or do I have to buy the new slide remote?

Thanks
sts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:20 PM   #150
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by sts1 View Post
I just bought a Pro and was trying to set the remote to turn on the tv and receiver using the green button. Remotes for my previous units would work to do this, sending out two signals I guess.

I just went through an online chat with a Tivo rep who said that the Roamio remote wouldn't power more then the tv. Does anyone know a hack or do I have to buy the new slide remote?

Thanks
Read this short thread to see if the soundbar solution can be adapted to work with your receiver: Power soundbar with regular remote?
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote