TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #91
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidblackledge View Post
There is also a separate "dimmer" feature that I haven't finished in Enter Webz. If you turn that on from the "info" menu, it slightly dims the screen for those bright white pages, but currently it doesn't stay dimmed when you go to another page. Do you think fixing that feature would be valuable?
Yes, yes, 1000x yes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #92
jgametest

Wink Web Surfing Blind at Twilight hours

I think if there was a way to preset webpages with white backgrounds to be dimmer would save many from brightness to the eyes or mild headaches for eye strain. I have no way of reducing my brightness on my tv, as my kids destroyed my main remote. Even though Tivo acts like a semi-universal remote I am unable to access those functions.

So in my case it would be ideal.

That said, it would be less on you if we just choose a default setting of dimmer with a keystroke on the remote perhaps make it one of the letter buttons A, B, C or D.
jgametest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:35 AM   #93
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Yes, yes, 1000x yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgametest View Post
So in my case it would be ideal.

That said, it would be less on you if we just choose a default setting of dimmer with a keystroke on the remote perhaps make it one of the letter buttons A, B, C or D.
Done.
Action "D" turns on/off the Dimmer.
It is a saved setting so it will still be in effect next time you use Enter Webz, and it's still available in the "info" menu.

This update also turns off the cute TiVo Loopset animation backgrounds... they're trouble when it comes to playing videos and Enter Webz has enough trouble.

Anybody just catching up, that's on the Enter Webz public server:
"Add an App" with 212.1.209.140

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
David.Blackledge.com Solitaire/FreeCell, Calendar, Map...
hmedev.wikidot.com
davidblackledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:17 AM   #94
jgametest

Question Youtube Mobile

Not sure how, but it looks to me it's in a different country and language. I says I'm in English but I know that is not Youtube for the United States. How to do we reset the defaults if we can?
Old 12-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #95
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

Quote:
Not sure how, but it looks to me it's in a different country and language. I says I'm in English but I know that is not Youtube for the United States. How to do we reset the defaults if we can?
Yeah, I have the same problem... when you sign in, it's fixed.

Google seems to think the Enter Webz server is in Spain... my hosting provider says it's in the US, but Google might be having trouble because I haven't registered a domain name for the IP, yet.

Basically, Google's trying to be too smart for an unusual setup like Enter Webz.

By the way... I think I may have found the solution to the problem where Google will eventually request a login, then Enter Webz can't log in anymore unless you clear cookies. I'll post again when I've verified. maybe tonight.

hmedev.wikidot.com
Old 12-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #96
jgametest

Lightbulb Possible solution

Not sure if this is a way to consider but it's free.
http://www.noip.com/ once you create an account David there is an option to forward the IP to a physical virtual domain name. Obviously on TiVo we would only use the ip numbers but this will register to the domain networks quickly and it should offset the mess at Google or future troubles. It's a pretty cool feature for a while I used it when I needed to remote in home. But with services like Plex and TeamViewer that need came and went.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #97
berkinet

#1. Thanks for your work on this cool app.

Now, trying to run on MacOS (10.9.1). First I found I needed to convert the shell (.sh) script to unix (\n) line endings. (I didn't use the .command file, but I am sure it would require the same change.)
Then, the command line in the shell (and command) file needs a debug level. As shipped it is just:
  • java -Dcom.tivo.hme.sdk.debug.level=
instead of
  • java -Dcom.tivo.hme.sdk.debug.level=0

That got the jar opened and started. However, I then found that, at least on the Mac, the app seems to select the IP interface at random... it should use the first entry for multi-homed machined. I just disabled my secondary address and that got everything started.

Unfortunately, at that point, while I could open most of the apps, text displays were wrong (like escaped non-printable characters: \032, etc.) and worst of all, nothing really worked. Note the public server at 212.1.209.140 works just fine.

Finally, I was stumped on where the /app root is actually located. Is that covered somewhere in the docs?

FWIW, I have a Roamio+
berkinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #98
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkinet View Post
#1. Thanks for your work on this cool app.
Thanks!
Quote:
Now, trying to run on MacOS (10.9.1). First I found I needed to convert the shell (.sh) script to unix (\n) line endings. (I didn't use the .command file, but I am sure it would require the same change.)
Then, the command line in the shell (and command) file needs a debug level. As shipped it is just:
  • java -Dcom.tivo.hme.sdk.debug.level=
instead of
  • java -Dcom.tivo.hme.sdk.debug.level=0
Strange. You're using the 2013-10-31 zip, right? I just downloaded a copy to double-check. That one has the .sh and .command files processed to change the line endings (versus the .bat file). Maybe I did the wrong conversion? (I also tried to process them to be executable, but apparently that processing command doesn't work when run from Windows)
I also don't see the missing "0" in the files. Maybe that happened upon your line end conversion.
Quote:
That got the jar opened and started. However, I then found that, at least on the Mac, the app seems to select the IP interface at random... it should use the first entry for multi-homed machined. I just disabled my secondary address and that got everything started.
Ah, I haven't had to deal with this. There is a feature for it, though. I believe if you add --intf 1.2.3.4 to the command line it will use that IP interface explicitly.
Quote:
Unfortunately, at that point, while I could open most of the apps, text displays were wrong (like escaped non-printable characters: \032, etc.) and worst of all, nothing really worked. Note the public server at 212.1.209.140 works just fine.
The escaping in the app titles is a bug of the new HD UIs...they're not following their own standard. If you switch to the SD UI, I think that goes away, for instance. It only happens in the home-network-automatic-discovery mode which is why it doesn't happen on the public server.

Could you describe "nothing really worked" in more detail? maybe I could help with that. If there is any interesting output in the command window when something doesn't work, please copy and paste it.

Anyhow, I'm glad the public server works. It's really the same code just launching a different way and from within your home network and your own Java VM.
Quote:
Finally, I was stumped on where the /app root is actually located. Is that covered somewhere in the docs?

FWIW, I have a Roamio+
Well, for the downloaded version, it's a matter of a) editing the launcher.txt file about what you want as an App (either explicit links, or explicit groups), and b) editing your thumztaks from within the App (thumbs up/down to add/remove them, Enter to edit the name and group, and numbers to rearrange the order). The App root in that case is the "Apps" group and the genre-specific Apps/music, photos, and video groups. However, for the downloaded version, you can tell it to use any group as an App, not just the Apps group.
On the public server, it's all just about moving thumztaks into or out of the Apps groups. Anything placed in those groups is automatically listed as a top-level App the next time the list is fully reloaded by the TiVo.
Physically, all the options and thumztaks, and cookies are stored in a file located in a folder named "tivo" or ".tivo" under the user's home directory... I think that's correct on Mac.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments, or if you find some websites that work well!

hmedev.wikidot.com
Old 12-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #99
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

FYI, everybody, EnterWebz.tv is live now, too. Some basic information there now.
Lots still to do on the website and the App, though.

So, 50+ subscribers to date, let us know how it's going, what should change, and what websites work well!

hmedev.wikidot.com
Old 12-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #100
berkinet

Quote:
...Strange. You're using the 2013-10-31 zip, right? I just downloaded a copy to double-check. That one has the .sh and .command files processed to change the line endings (versus the .bat file). Maybe I did the wrong conversion? (I also tried to process them to be executable, but apparently that processing command doesn't work when run from Windows)
I also don't see the missing "0" in the files. Maybe that happened upon your line end conversion.
Yes, it was 2013-10-31. And I am sure of the line endings and missing zero. But, I just downloaded it again and, for whatever reason, the .sh file is correct (\n) endings). However, the .command file has \r for the line ending character. Also, the 0 debugging option is there. Mysterious.

BTW, the first time both files had \r\n endings and I just used tr to remove the \r. So, that shouldn't have had any affect on the =0.

Quote:
... if you add --intf 1.2.3.4 to the command line it will use that IP interface explicitly.
That did the trick. Thanks.

Quote:
The escaping in the app titles is a bug of the new HD UIs...they're not following their own standard. If you switch to the SD UI, I think that goes away, for instance.
I have a Roamio+ and I don't think the SD option exists... I can change the output to 480i only, but it still uses the HD menus.

Quote:
Could you describe "nothing really worked" in more detail? maybe I could help with that. If there is any interesting output in the command window when something doesn't work, please copy and paste it.
Sorry, I should have been more exact. I can navigate the directory structure, but any web (i.e., URL) option I select, google, for example, results in an on screen message: App Temporarily Unavailable..." with an error code of V301. Reversi works!

The stderr output shows:
Code:
LOG: null
*** new cookiestore! ***
LOG: unknown event opcode : 10
Writing no data
LOG: connection to receiver closed
followed by a single java error. Here are the one's I have seen so far:
Code:
LOG: Unexpected error: com.tivo.hme.sdk.HmeException: java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe, app=/webz/
LOG: Unexpected error: com.tivo.hme.sdk.HmeException: java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe, app=/webz/
LOG: Unexpected error: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class com.blackledge.david.html.hme.HTMLBreakdown
Hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything you want me to do to test.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #101
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

Quote:
Yes, it was 2013-10-31. And I am sure of the line endings and missing zero. But, I just downloaded it again and, for whatever reason, the .sh file is correct (\n) endings). However, the .command file has \r for the line ending character. Also, the 0 debugging option is there. Mysterious.
Wow... very weird. I am doing eol="mac" processing on the .command and eol="unix" processing on the .sh (this is with the Ant fixcrlf command)... sounds like the result is backwards to what you need.

Quote:
I have a Roamio+ and I don't think the SD option exists... I can change the output to 480i only, but it still uses the HD menus.
The option on Premiere is buried somewhere... and probably the same for Roamio. I don't recommend switching anyhow... it was just to show that the "old" interface code handles the titles correctly.

Quote:
The stderr output shows:
Code:
*** new cookiestore! ***
Writing no data
followed by a single java error. Here are the one's I have seen so far:
Code:
LOG: Unexpected error: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class com.blackledge.david.html.hme.HTMLBreakdown
Dang. I thought I fixed this (you're running from that "good" copy you re-downloaded, right?)... I guess my theory was wrong:
Quote:
My working theory is: HTMLBreakdown does a lot of work, but it includes the code to translate special characters from unicode that the TiVo can't display into ASCII equivalents. My Internet searches hinted at possible issues with Unicode differences on the Mac (probably depending on OS and Java version).

For the next release, I'll change how the unicode references are made in hopes that it helps, and I'll probably also move all of that translation code to a separate class and protect it so if that exception happens, Enter Webz doesn't break, it just doesn't do the translation (and you get a bunch of "squares" on the screen for complex characters).
If you're running the latest code and this is still happening, then there is something completely different that causes that problem. But, I THINK there are some Mac users that AREN'T getting that problem.

Any Mac users that have gotten Enter Webz to work locally on their Mac, could you post some information? Maybe Mac version and Java version (type java --version in a command window)? Then we can compare against those having the problem.

hmedev.wikidot.com
Old 12-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #102
tatergator1

Quote:
The option on Premiere is buried somewhere... and probably the same for Roamio.
FYI, Tivo removed the option to use SD menus in the Roamio software.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #103
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

Quote:
Here are the one's I have seen so far:
Code:
Hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything you want me to do to test.
try adding
Code:
-Djava.awt.headless=true
before or after the debug definition in the command.

hmedev.wikidot.com
Old 12-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #104
berkinet

Quote:
try adding
Code:
-Djava.awt.headless=true
before or after the debug definition in the command.
No joy...
Code:
*** new cookiestore! ***
LOG: Unexpected error: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
Here's my java version...
Code:
java -version
java version "1.6.0_65"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-462-11M4609)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-462, mixed mode)
And, FWIW... here's my shell script:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# thanks to windracer
mydir=`dirname "$0"`
cd "$mydir"
java -Dcom.tivo.hme.sdk.debug.level=0 -Djava.awt.headless=true -jar EnterWebz.jar --launcher launcher.txt --intf 192.168.4.94

Old 01-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #105
jgametest

Sorry David, but it looks there could be either good news or bad news for Shoutcast Radio. http://betanews.com/2014/01/01/winam...not-microsoft/

Will have to see how the weeks playout before an official announcement is made.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #106
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

Quote:
Sorry David, but it looks there could be either good news or bad news for Shoutcast Radio. http://betanews.com/2014/01/01/winam...not-microsoft/
I'm not worried.

First, I expect whoever takes ownership will keep the website running, or even make it better.

Second, if it does go down, there are lots of fish in the sea.
In fact, while fishing, I found http://mobile.internet-radio.com/ which doesn't have shoutcast's broken "next" button. I'm considering replacing shoutcast with it for new users, actually.

hmedev.wikidot.com
Old 01-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #107
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

EnterWebz.tv and new downloadable version

New version available for download at http://david.blackledge.com/tivo/enterwebz/
Just to keep up with the public server and hopefully help with Mac installs.

EnterWebzDist-2014-1-9.zip: Leave thumztaks screens in history; remove loopset backgrounds; Dimmer control fixed and activates with "D"; fix Mac issues?; fixed another bug

If you don't need the downloaded version, then go to http://EnterWebz.tv for the public server instructions.

Quote:
No joy...
Code:
LOG: Unexpected error: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
Interesting that the error appears to have changed. Anyhow, try this new version. I made a few changes that might be relevant. You'll have to edit it to add the --intf again. If this new one doesn't work, try the "headless" part again, as well.

hmedev.wikidot.com
Old 01-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #108
jgametest

Lightbulb Backend Access for playback of video streams

Hi David,

While the team is looking for a backdoor to reverse engineer streams, I would like to know would it be possible to allow us the ability to browse internal pages. Services like Plex create an internal page for us to browse which I can access within your browser if I connect from www.plex.tv but the current browser does not handle playback of video formats when I choose a prompt of video TiVo sends an alert that states "Unable to play format". Both Tivo and Opera have not commented if they intend to open the browser ability from the SDK that we all received. It's either hush / hush or they have not figured out how to make it work yet. So in the meantime, I will continue researching server / playback options that might handle the request better. Perhaps cloud playback is the way to go.

John
Old 01-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #109
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

Quote:
Services like Plex create an internal page for us to browse which I can access within your browser if I connect from www.plex.tv but the current browser does not handle playback of video formats when I choose a prompt of video TiVo sends an alert that states "Unable to play format".
I figure I've maximized Enter Webz's ability to do playbacks by using TiVo's own VideoPlayer app for any video stream it encounters. If it can be done in HME, that App should be able to do it.

However, there are a couple of question marks in my technique.
I do send it an http instead of https URL since everything seems to need that on the TiVo. I don't know that I ever did enough testing to verify it's truly required for the VideoPlayer.
I do try to handle redirections and such BEFORE I send it to the VideoPlayer which I believe is required in a similar way as http vs. https, but again I don't have time to test all the possibilities.
There is a possibility the exact video format I tell the VideoPlayer influences the playback abilities. I send what I have, but perhaps that's not always exactly what VideoPlayer needs. (for instance perhaps the format info from the website is too vague, or perhaps its not even correct at all)... that said, Enter Webz couldn't improve on that without analyzing the video stream which I have no intention of doing.
There is a possibility that some videos could work if I directly tried to stream them myself instead of using the VideoPlayer, but I find that unlikely.

Finally, of the most value here, some websites will provide a different video stream depending on what kind of browser Enter Webz claims to be. At the very least, I could probably set the "accept" header in Enter Webz to specifically only include the video (etc) formats that truly work with a TiVo, and maybe the website will cooperate.

But the short answer is: I believe Enter Webz does the best thing it can do to maximize video playback.

hmedev.wikidot.com
Old 02-12-2014, 07:37 PM   #110
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

EnterWebz.tv update, TiVo Model/Remote spreadsheets

Yesterday I finally installed the latest update to EnterWebz.tv... I didn't bother to make a new download release, though.
It just added mode information in the status area, makes recognizable control hints (and model-appropriate) everywhere, uses the genre-specific group icons within the app group pages themselves, and gives more space for banners.

Of particular "Developer's Corner" interest is how I made the hints "model-appropriate."

I made a spreadsheet of TiVo models with key facts including the remote they come with by default.
Then I made a spreadsheet of remote models with keys and how they're labeled.
So my hints use your TSN to drive whether the button displays at all and how it is represented (both icon and text), matching your remote.
Perhaps later I'll add a remote selector to say "no, I have a Slide Remote!"

The icons I used for this release are not good... I'll switch them with just plain symbols (not pictures of the buttons) and let the text labels do the rest of the work. And I'm missing some like action buttons.

The spreadsheets are incomplete, but good enough for my purposes. I got information from a variety of incomplete sources (mostly TiVo and Weaknees). They also include stuff from my server that isn't documented anywhere else publicly I've seen (e.g. D18, A90, AE2, and 1E2 models).

I want to share this with the dev community to fill in missing parts and use them for your own purposes. (I just export csv files and include that with my app)
I have them in Google Docs and have it editable by anybody with the link. Hopefully I can still recover it, as owner, if it gets griefed.

Model Info:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Wc&usp=sharing

Remote Info:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...3c&usp=sharing

Add any new columns at the end, please (E.g. Models wants an Image column like Remotes).

Model's drive size 0 is explicitly devices without storage. SW version is just because my source data had it (I won't keep that up to date). I recently added "platform" and "brand" columns from the HME DEVICE_INFO event, too. The "series" column is values I made up to try to group things, but it's not quite right for weird models - platform might be more meaningful.

Remote Info uses an ID and a Derivation ID - any blank fields are considered filled in by the Derivation ID's row (recursively).
It uses SDK constant names for KEY headers and my V49 constants for newer keys. I actually parse those to get the key code in Java.

Key labels are vertical-bar separated Label|Icon
Labels are meant to be literal text used on the remote (like "Ch" not "Channel up")
For colored buttons, I'm using the 4 action buttons as generic colored icons, except ones with a color AND an icon. All button text is in the Label part, regardless of how it is attached to the icon.
If the Label falls below the icon on the remote, the Label starts with "\n" (backslash, n - not an actual newline), or if above, it ENDS with "\n". Otherwise the label is centered over a generic button image.
Note, I didn't take the time to apply the "\n"s per button when the button is a generic button. I.E. I didn't differentiate between a button with "info" written on the face of it vs. a button with "info" written on the remote above/below the blank button. Feel free to fix those, but I this is as good as or better than TiVo does.
(It needs to also include label\nlabel2 for buttons with part of the label above and part below the button/icon)

hmedev.wikidot.com
Old 02-13-2014, 04:30 PM   #111
dvdvids

How to remove the remote apps from tivo?
I had added (Enter Webz! via) 212.1.209.140 to test it out... it looks very promising indeed!
Now, I want to add it via a local version of Enter Webz! server.
Before that I want to remove the already added remote IP for Enter Webz!

Thanks!
dvdvids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #112
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdvids View Post
How to remove the remote apps from tivo?
I had added (Enter Webz! via) 212.1.209.140 to test it out... it looks very promising indeed!
Now, I want to add it via a local version of Enter Webz! server.
Before that I want to remove the already added remote IP for Enter Webz!

Thanks!
The short answer: instead of pressing "Select" on one of the App entries, press "Clear" and the IP will be removed.

HOWEVER - I recommend instead just editing your Apps group in the Enter Webz thumztaks to move everything you don't want listed out of the Apps group. Maybe just keep a weather page or something.
Why? Because the server will "always" be available but your local copy is only if you have it running, and the server also runs Solitaire and Mahjongg and more stuff in the future.

Running both your local version and the IP server at the same time is perfectly safe. That way you can maintain more security and privacy for sensitive pages using your local version, but always have access to simple pages.

hmedev.wikidot.com
Old 02-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #113
dvdvids

Quote:
The short answer: instead of pressing "Select" on one of the App entries, press "Clear" and the IP will be removed.

HOWEVER - I recommend instead just editing your Apps group in the Enter Webz thumztaks to move everything you don't want listed out of the Apps group. Maybe just keep a weather page or something.
Why? Because the server will "always" be available but your local copy is only if you have it running, and the server also runs Solitaire and Mahjongg and more stuff in the future.

Running both your local version and the IP server at the same time is perfectly safe. That way you can maintain more security and privacy for sensitive pages using your local version, but always have access to simple pages.
cool...thanks!
I just want to play with the local one
So, I will try to use both (games from your server) others locally.

BTW, could not get WatchESPN to play video! Able to open the site, but cannot select the stream... any specific reason?
Old 02-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #114
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

Quote:
BTW, could not get WatchESPN to play video! Able to open the site, but cannot select the stream... any specific reason?
Could you give me more information? I don't think I was able to find what you're talking about.
Could you please
a) give me a URL to try and
b) describe your steps and what happens? (e.g. "There doesn't seem to be a link to click" or "When I click the link 'blah blah' nothing happens" or "When I click 'blah blah', the video player complains 'xxx xxx xxx'")

I think I can register an account with WatchESPN through my cable provider to try it out, if that's a necessary step.

I know in general, the ESPN mobile site doesn't provide any links to video content at all, just podcasts (which work) and articles and scores.

I tried it on a regular browser, and there is a lot of JavaScript on that site, so it may not work right due to that, but I did notice the use of a VIDEO tag which is a good sign that Enter Webz might be able to make it work.

Also, to improve compatibility, I'm going to add some more Mobile modes that should cause some websites to provide different content. But that starts getting hairy...I'll may have to make thumztaks store the mode with the URL because you'll need different modes for different sites to work.

hmedev.wikidot.com
Old 02-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #115
dvdvids

Quote:
Could you give me more information? I don't think I was able to find what you're talking about.
Could you please
a) give me a URL to try and -- espn.go.com/watchespn
b) describe your steps and what happens? (e.g. "There doesn't seem to be a link to click" or "When I click the link 'blah blah' nothing happens" or "When I click 'blah blah', the video player complains 'xxx xxx xxx'") -- (It is a live streaming site and also give access to recorded live events)
Via Enter Webz, I do not see the links on the page (wish I could do screenshots)

I think I can register an account with WatchESPN through my cable provider to try it out, if that's a necessary step. -- It does need cable access for some of their streams

I know in general, the ESPN mobile site doesn't provide any links to video content at all, just podcasts (which work) and articles and scores. --Is Enter Webz designed to work only with mobile web apps? This espn site is a regular site, not sure if there is a mobile url.
Also, on a side note, I watch live streams from sites like hahasports, how does Enter Webz handle ads? (adblock takes care of them on mozilla/chrome)

I tried it on a regular browser, and there is a lot of JavaScript on that site, so it may not work right due to that, but I did notice the use of a VIDEO tag which is a good sign that Enter Webz might be able to make it work.

Also, to improve compatibility, I'm going to add some more Mobile modes that should cause some websites to provide different content. But that starts getting hairy...I'll may have to make thumztaks store the mode with the URL because you'll need different modes for different sites to work.
...added comments in bold
Attached Images
File Type: jpg espn.jpg (63.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #116
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

Quote:
espn.go.com/watchespn

(It is a live streaming site and also give access to recorded live events)
Via Enter Webz, I do not see the links on the page (wish I could do screenshots)

It does need cable access for some of their streams

I know in general, the ESPN mobile site doesn't provide any links to video content at all, just podcasts (which work) and articles and scores. --Is Enter Webz designed to work only with mobile web apps? This espn site is a regular site, not sure if there is a mobile url.
Ah, ok, I was at the right site, then. That's a JavaScript-heavy site, and Enter Webz doesn't support JavaScript or flash or other highly-interactive technologies. EW can barely handle the images ;]
In this case, it looks like the content, including the links, is designed to mostly load dynamically, which EW doesn't support.

Available in the Sports & Weather group under Apps in the default setup for EW, there is a mobile ESPN site link. It actually is a very well done mobile site, but it specifically doesn't include any video content.

It's too bad, too, because I think the non-live videos on that site might actually work if there was a simple link to them.

While EW isn't Mobile-specific, it's not able to handle lots of images or fancy content, so mobile sites work much better since they're designed to be much simpler.

Quote:
Also, on a side note, I watch live streams from sites like hahasports, how does Enter Webz handle ads? (adblock takes care of them on mozilla/chrome)
Well, if the ad is dynamic (JavaScript/flash) content, then Enter Webz can't display it. If it's just an image/link, it works fine. If it's an IFRAME (often they are) Enter Webz doesn't (currently) support them except by making them into a new link to the IFRAME's page.
Enter Webz doesn't actively try to block any advertising.

hmedev.wikidot.com
Old 02-15-2014, 03:34 AM   #117
dvdvids

cool.. gotcha.. it's a light weight browser and at this initial stages shows a huge potential..
hopefully, tivo takes this and build on it to make a heavy weight browser!

Is there a way to zoom web page? ..found it hard to see some of navigation icons

Mouse or Wii like remote would make the navigation so easy.. so is there any way to connect a mouse to tivo box directly or via bluetooth/wireless adapter?
Old 02-15-2014, 11:34 AM   #118
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

Quote:
cool.. gotcha.. it's a light weight browser and at this initial stages shows a huge potential..
hopefully, tivo takes this and build on it to make a heavy weight browser!
Unfortunately, it doesn't have a whole lot further to go from these "initial stages" except for possibly a complete rewrite of one section to use the "CSSBox" library that will do page layout way more accurately, and maybe add support for borders.
And I have to figure out what's wrong with Cookies ... I guess it doesn't follow the standards 100%, so Google products break eventually.

However, I'm perfectly happy to sell if TiVo is buying ;] I'll move on to games or something.

But, as you may have heard, TiVo already has a heavy weight browser (Opera) on Premiere and Roamio, but they haven't provided general browsing access with it (and may never), but instead use it for HTML5-based one-page apps. At least my app also works on Series 3 (and Series 2, I believe... but only 1 has used EnterWebz.tv so far)
Quote:
Is there a way to zoom web page? ..found it hard to see some of navigation icons
Well, you can change the TEXT size temporarily with 1-9 (or "info" menu to do it permanently) - but that doesn't affect image sizes.
I could definitely add zooming fairly easily, but it would be either a literal zoom, causing you to scroll left/right a bunch, or I could do it with re-load of the page like it does when you change font size or mode.
Either way I'd have to figure out how you activate it...I've pretty much run out of buttons except "A" and "C" on the newer remotes.

However, you said "navigation icons"...if you mean the hints on the left side, I noticed that the text is a little too small on one of my TVs, too. I'll play with a larger size for that, especially on HD TVs.
Quote:
Mouse or Wii like remote would make the navigation so easy.. so is there any way to connect a mouse to tivo box directly or via bluetooth/wireless adapter?
Nope, sorry... TiVo doesn't support that. HOWEVER it does support the SLIDE remotes with keyboards, and if you don't have that remote, you can plug a USB keyboard into the USB port in the back (wireless ones even work). That will let you type directly on text fields, etc. and USB is more responsive for arrow keys, etc., than the infrared remotes.
One other improvement I need to do is write custom handling for the "link focus" stuff - so you don't end up going in circles around the link you want to get to, and so the focus is a "floating" visual that's easier to spot as it slides to the next link.

hmedev.wikidot.com
Old 04-06-2014, 09:12 PM   #119
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

Note Enter Webz and EnterWebz.tv update, better handling of many pages

There are now 220 TiVo DVRs that have subscribed to EnterWebz.tv... but I'm getting very little feedback...so I'm just changing things I feel like changing before the official release.

PLEASE let me know if you feel something needs a change. I've documented a few TODO items on the Google Docs documentation page, but anything else is not a priority to me unless YOU say something.

And again, anybody that would like to add to the TiVo Model Information and Remote Information Google Docs I mentioned a few posts back, that will help EWz and anybody else that chooses to use it. Eventually I may add a menu option to select a remote (via a picture) to further customize your experience.

Both EWz download and EnterWebz.tv have been updated today.

The download at David.Blackledge.com includes the February server update as well as this update.

Most notable is an update to the User Agent string... several changes (including reporting "beta 0.9"), but you can now select a mobile emulation mode from a long list in the Info menu. The default is now Samsung, not the old AvantGo I was using. Samsung works well on the majority of websites.
I believe this fixes Yahoo login issues. It also fixes some issues with Google pages, but doesn't fix the cookie going bad after a few weeks. Facebook stopped working recently for me...this fixes that, too.
There is an iPad mode, but since EWz doesn't support scripting, it's probably not great choice unless you're looking for a better page to get a Video.

A known problem with requests for non-html support files (e.g. CSS stylesheets) is fixed now so a lot of pages that weren't formatting right will work well now.
One of those is video.pbs.org which I highly recommend you save a link to... full episodes available for streaming with EWz.

HME server TiVoConnect links will automatically format as a web page so you can see everything served as a list. See the "recommended links" page for TiVoConnect links for known HME servers.
Of interest is TiVo's which oddly will launch the NON-HME app for one of the Netflix and one of the Youtube entries. I hope we can find out the secret to that trick for our own purposes.

Also, the thumztak Edit screen is accessible from the Info menu now, not just the "enter" key shortcut.

By the way... the Shoutcast page doesn't work anymore with the recent buy-out (too JavaScript heavy), so as previously suggested, please add mobile.internet-radio.com as a link and you'll be back in business again.

Finally, I've added a little more logging so I can get some idea of how people are using it since nobody's saying anything.

Tell me what your experiences are! Let me improve it!

hmedev.wikidot.com
Old 04-11-2014, 09:09 AM   #120
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

Quote:
Most notable is an update to the User Agent string... several changes (including reporting "beta 0.9"), but you can now select a mobile emulation mode from a long list in the Info menu. The default is now Samsung, not the old AvantGo I was using. Samsung works well on the majority of websites.
Ooops... I left a test mode in that distribution that forced you to always use PALM mode.
Updated the http://EnterWebz.tv server just now to default to SAMSUNG and to actually use your selected mode, whatever it is. (Not updating the download right now unless somebody asks)

Noticably, Youtube uses tiny thumbnails for SAMSUNG and enables numeric shortcuts, while PALM uses larger thumbnails and doesn't indicate any numeric shortcuts.

Please check my Key TODO list in the documentation and if you want something to change but it isn't here, Please let me know!

hmedev.wikidot.com