TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #5881
dougdingle
HD Tech

TW and M card in Los Angeles

I'm a TW customer in Los Angeles with two S3 OLED lifetime boxes with two cablecards in each, and just bought a used TiVoHD lifetime for which I need to get a cablecard.

A few questions:

When talking to TW, how do I make sure I get the M card and not a single?

Is there a distinction that can be seen while looking at the card?

Has anyone gotten them to send out a card without rolling a truck?

What do they charge per month for the M card? I'm paying an OUTRAGEOUS $14/mo for the four cards I have now.

Thanks.
dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #5882
59er
TiVotee

Does anyone even give out S cards any longer? I'd doubt it.
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #5883
rcoates777

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdingle View Post
I'm a TW customer in Los Angeles with two S3 OLED lifetime boxes with two cablecards in each, and just bought a used TiVoHD lifetime for which I need to get a cablecard.

A few questions:

When talking to TW, how do I make sure I get the M card and not a single?

Is there a distinction that can be seen while looking at the card?

Has anyone gotten them to send out a card without rolling a truck?

What do they charge per month for the M card? I'm paying an OUTRAGEOUS $14/mo for the four cards I have now.

Thanks.
  • You can ask TW to bring an M-Card but your requests often don't filter down to the tech.
  • There is usually something on the card - like "Multi-Stream"
  • I picked up a card without a truck roll
  • My M-Card costs $2.50/mo. in NC

If your TWC provides some channels via SDV (Switch Digital Video) you will also need a Tuning Adapter. No charge for that. My experience with the TA has been very negative.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ght=ta+reboots
rcoates777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #5884
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoates777 View Post
  • You can ask TW to bring an M-Card but your requests often don't filter down to the tech.
  • There is usually something on the card - like "Multi-Stream"
  • I picked up a card without a truck roll
  • My M-Card costs $2.50/mo. in NC

If your TWC provides some channels via SDV (Switch Digital Video) you will also need a Tuning Adapter. No charge for that. My experience with the TA has been very negative.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ght=ta+reboots
Thanks. I already have two tuning adapters, I'm going to get a third one for the new box. Mine reboot occasionally, but nothing like your issues.

I did have one that refused to sync up with mom - the firmware version was too old, and they were able to upgrade its firmware remotely as I watched, which was kind of impressive.

One thing that did just occur to me - the wall wart power supplies that come with the Motorola ones are absolute garbage. Unstable, overheat, I've had three fail over time. If you're not averse to spending $10 or so, you should be able to buy a better one online, may solve your rebooting issues.
dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #5885
Fred C Dobbs

I picked up CCs in person in So Cal, and asked for M Cards.

Guess how what I ended up with?

FCD
Fred C Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #5886
dlfl
Cranky old novice

This may be of general interest. I had occasion to talk to the TWC national cable card support desk today. I learned they are preparing to push out a new TA software version, F.1901, apparently in response to timing problems encountered by 6-tuner Roamios. Of course it has to be pushed out by each TWC region and they are testing the roll out in one region first. We can at least hope the update will fix the SDV tuning problem that Series 3 boxes have always had.
(And I can hope that my laggard TWC region, SW OH, will actually bother to push the update.)

Also there have been two national help numbers floating around:
866-606-5889 (and) 866-532-2598
The first number went to North Carolina but that operation has been shut down and the cable card desk is now located in Buffalo, NY. The second number is the current one both for general CC and TA help and for self-install. Just for grins I tried the first number and it now just forwards to the same place as the second number.

Bottom line: the one and only TWC national CC help number is:
866-532-2598

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #5887
tatergator1

Good to know. I was pleasantly surprised to notice that TWC Columbus upgraded CC firmware to 1.5.3_F.p.1101 within the last 6 weeks. I remember checking my version when contemplating my Roamio upgrade around Thanksgiving and noting it was 1.5.3_F.p.0601 at the time. When I called the national CC number to pair my new card 2 weeks ago, I was pleasantly surprised to see the new firmware version while I was navigating the various CC screens during pairing.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #5888
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
This may be of general interest. I had occasion to talk to the TWC national cable card support desk today. I learned they are preparing to push out a new TA software version, F.1901, apparently in response to timing problems encountered by 6-tuner Roamios. Of course it has to be pushed out by each TWC region and they are testing the roll out in one region first. We can at least hope the update will fix the SDV tuning problem that Series 3 boxes have always had.
(And I can hope that my laggard TWC region, SW OH, will actually bother to push the update.)

The first number went to North Carolina but that operation has been shut down and the cable card desk is now located in Buffalo, NY. The second number is the current one both for general CC and TA help and for self-install. Just for grins I tried the first number and it now just forwards to the same place as the second number.

866-532-2598
Where can you find the version of the tuning adapter?
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #5889
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Is the humongous Cisco STA1520 the only TA available from TW?
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:44 PM   #5890
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
Where can you find the version of the tuning adapter?
TA Diagnostics ... Versions and MACs .. FLASH: <version>
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Is the humongous Cisco STA1520 the only TA available from TW?
A few systems in western states (e.g. TX,AZ,CA) use Motorola TA's. My guess is these are systems TWC absorbed after they had already gone SDV with Motorola equipment.

and
Old 01-03-2014, 04:54 PM   #5891
mrizzo80

Quote:

866-532-2598
Thanks for the heads-up. TWC SW OH should be pushing this out at some point (I'm in this region too). Per this thread by Margret http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...37#post9857937

...I called up the Nat'l Cable Card Hotline and requested they apply the firmware that Cisco was getting ready to roll out (which appears to be the .1901 FW). They opened a ticket against this issue for me; so SW OH *should* be high on the deployment list.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:10 PM   #5892
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
Thanks for the heads-up. TWC SW OH should be pushing this out at some point (I'm in this region too). Per this thread by Margret http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...37#post9857937

...I called up the Nat'l Cable Card Hotline and requested they apply the firmware that Cisco was getting ready to roll out (which appears to be the .1901 FW). They opened a ticket against this issue for me; so SW OH *should* be high on the deployment list.
So you use a TA in the TWC SW Ohio region? Have you been having the problem of them not updating the Sub Expires date, which has resulted in me having to call them twice now (Early December and today)? If the sub expires you lose all SDV channels and the TA blinks the 8-blinks-pause sequence. See this thread for more details:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=447167

I dream of the day when I can smash my TA with a hammer, either because I've cut the cord, or found some other way to get cable TV than via TWC. (Since TWC owns the TA I may have to smash it only symbolically.)

and
Old 01-04-2014, 06:12 AM   #5893
mrizzo80

Quote:
So you use a TA in the TWC SW Ohio region? Have you been having the problem of them not updating the Sub Expires date, which has resulted in me having to call them twice now (Early December and today)? If the sub expires you lose all SDV channels and the TA blinks the 8-blinks-pause sequence. See this thread for more details:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=447167

I dream of the day when I can smash my TA with a hammer, either because I've cut the cord, or found some other way to get cable TV than via TWC. (Since TWC owns the TA I may have to smash it only symbolically.)
Yes, I use a TA in SW OH. I haven't had any issues with Sub Expires expirations in several years. I just checked my date and it's a couple weeks out.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:10 PM   #5894
dlfl
Cranky old novice

National CableCARD help desk --- FAIL

This morning my TWC, Southwest Ohio, for some reason decided to upgrade software on all CableCARD's. Starting in the wee hours of the am, and for about 12 hours thereafter, my Tivo HD was in an endless loop downloading "508 blocks" of data then (apparently) failing to install it. No channels could be watched -- not even OTA via antenna. The local TWC support number had an automated message that they had a technical problem that causes your set top box to keep rebooting. (Not correct for Tivo's of course but ... what's new?)

So I called the TWC National CableCARD help desk (866-532-2598) to see if I could find out what was going on. The agent was very professional but in the end was no help at all. He sent some signals, including one that rebooted my TA, and waited with me while the 508-block download cycle repeated twice. At that point he concluded my CableCARD must be defective or hosed and I would probably have to get a new one. That would mean waiting 2 or 3 days for a local tech to deliver it, or driving more than an hour round-trip to get one at a TWC store. I decided to hold off on the new CC idea and it's good that I did. The problem was fixed later in the day and I'm good on all channels again.

He had no information as to why my local "district" (as he called it) was pushing a CC update and showed no inclination to contact them to find out. This lack of coordination between national and local support is probably the thing that bothers me most about this incident. He has the power to send signals to my Tivo and view and annotate my customer account -- but he can't tell me the first thing about what this was all about -- and consequently gives me bad info that could have caused me a lot of needless inconvenience if I had believed it.

I'm still wondering why the update was pushed (if it ever actually succeeded). My current (new?) CC software version is: PKEY 1.5.3_F.p.1101

and
Old 01-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #5895
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Good to know. I was pleasantly surprised to notice that TWC Columbus upgraded CC firmware to 1.5.3_F.p.1101 within the last 6 weeks. I remember checking my version when contemplating my Roamio upgrade around Thanksgiving and noting it was 1.5.3_F.p.0601 at the time. When I called the national CC number to pair my new card 2 weeks ago, I was pleasantly surprised to see the new firmware version while I was navigating the various CC screens during pairing.
OK, so apparently my CC actually did get updated and apparently that was a good thing (if I had a 6-tuner Roamio?). I bet Columbus didn't disable all Tivos, STB's and DVR's for 12 hours doing it -- only MY TWC is that inept.

and
Old 01-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #5896
tatergator1

Like I mentioned in that post, the upgrade was a total surprise to me at the time, so it obviously went smoothly while I was either asleep or at work.

At least your back up and running now. Lets hope the upcoming TA firmware upgrade goes well whenever it happens.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #5897
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Like I mentioned in that post, the upgrade was a total surprise to me at the time, so it obviously went smoothly while I was either asleep or at work.

At least your back up and running now. Lets hope the upcoming TA firmware upgrade goes well whenever it happens.
Yeah.... last time TWC SW Ohio updated TA's they bricked them for a whole day!

and
Old 02-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #5898
TVjunky

Time Warner SoCal rates

TWC Orange county Calif. box rates per month
Whole House 2 HD-DVRs Package $64.98 !!!!!!! Wholly Crap!
HD-DVR Box and Service $22.99

I was online yesterday looking at the options with TWC and using the new Roamio box. I can get 200+ channels for $49.99 + $2.50 for the cable card and tuning adapter for 12 months then $67.49 after but the rep said since it's not a minimum contract you can get a promo rate again after 12 months. She did however say ay first I had to get at least one TWC box to get the "preferred" package. I told her only if i want on-demand services she then recanted and said the cable card would suffice. When you hover over the cable card w/tuning adapter option a pop up box appears that states

"An external box that connects to a cable card equipped retail device, such as a Tivo HD-DVR"

I was surprised they actually name Tivo brand
TVjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #5899
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVjunky View Post
TWC Orange county Calif. box rates per month
Whole House 2 HD-DVRs Package $64.98 !!!!!!! Wholly Crap!
HD-DVR Box and Service $22.99

I was online yesterday looking at the options with TWC and using the new Roamio box. I can get 200+ channels for $49.99 + $2.50 for the cable card and tuning adapter for 12 months then $67.49 after but the rep said since it's not a minimum contract you can get a promo rate again after 12 months. She did however say ay first I had to get at least one TWC box to get the "preferred" package. I told her only if i want on-demand services she then recanted and said the cable card would suffice. When you hover over the cable card w/tuning adapter option a pop up box appears that states

"An external box that connects to a cable card equipped retail device, such as a Tivo HD-DVR"

I was surprised they actually name Tivo brand
Yeah they'll mention Tivo and TA's in their web pages but don't assume that means they actually know anything about them. I stay on "promotion" deals all the time. They will creep the rate up on you unless you call in every year or so and complain. Then they will discover a "new" set of promotional deals that "just became available". I just did this and got a $10 rate reduction plus a half dozen additional channels. I think they studied car salesmen to get their sales techniques.

and
Old 02-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #5900
smoberly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVjunky View Post
I told her only if i want on-demand services she then recanted and said the cable card would suffice.
i thought on demand did not work with cable cards and TiVo....
smoberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #5901
TVjunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoberly View Post
i thought on demand did not work with cable cards and TiVo....
It doesn't on TWC she was trying to force me to get a TWC cable box saying it was required for that package. I told her i only need the TWC cable box if i want on-demand but it's not required that i have one

However you can get the TWC APP on a roku or xbox or ios device and some others and get the live and on-demand content now
TVjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #5902
snowbunny

Cable cards and TA

I'm going to ditch these. They have never, ever worked for more than a few days without having to call, wait for at least an hour, and go through multiple reset techniques. TimeWarner is not meeting the FCC "support" guidelines for third-party devices, it's that simple.

Now that Comcast plans to buy TimeWarner, perhaps I should be reading up on Comcast customers' experiences.

For this reason alone I *loathe* TimeWarner.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:53 AM   #5903
rcoates777

Rating Cable Companies

I've been a customer of 3 cable companies. Here are my rankings/grades:

A - Verizon (FiOS)
B - Comcast
F - TWC

Unfortunately I currently have TWC. My guess that we will see no real changes for a long time despite the Comcast buyout.

The horrible Tuning Adapter required by TWC is my biggest gripe.

Bob
rcoates777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #5904
AudioNutz

I was a Comcast customer until about 18 months ago, before I moved into Time Warner's territory. I have been locked in a death match over the cci bit ever since.

I was THRILLED when I read the announcement this morning that Comcast has just entered into an agreement to acquire Time Warner Cable! Let freedom ring!
Old 02-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #5905
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
I was a Comcast customer until about 18 months ago, before I moved into Time Warner's territory. I have been locked in a death match over the cci bit ever since.

I was THRILLED when I read the announcement this morning that Comcast has just entered into an agreement to acquire Time Warner Cable! Let freedom ring!
I moved from TWC Carolinas territory into Comcast Florida territory. I am so glad to be rid of the tuning adapter. Havent missed a recording since.... Its also very nice to have all the programming flagged 'copy freely' instead of 'one generation only'. Overall very happy with Comcast.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #5906
wtherrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoates777 View Post
I've been a customer of 3 cable companies. Here are my rankings/grades:

A - Verizon (FiOS)
B - Comcast
F - TWC

Unfortunately I currently have TWC. My guess that we will see no real changes for a long time despite the Comcast buyout.

The horrible Tuning Adapter required by TWC is my biggest gripe.

Bob
I can live with the stupid TA thing. My biggest gripe with TWC is that I cannot transfer programs from one Tivo to another one on my same network within my own home. They set the no-copy byte on practically everything. Only the local channels are transferable. ComCast does this only for premium channels, I understand.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:43 PM   #5907
AudioNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
ComCast does this only for premium channels, I understand.
When I was with Comcast, none of the channels, not even the premiums had any protection.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #5908
Teeps

As I understand. Us time warner customers, will likely see no change in hardware/infrastructure or delivery, if comcast buys out twc. The check will just be made out to comcast instead of time warner.

The sale is far from a done deal...
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #5909
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
As I understand. Us time warner customers, will likely see no change in hardware/infrastructure or delivery, if comcast buys out twc. The check will just be made out to comcast instead of time warner.

The sale is far from a done deal...
From a 'hardware/infrastructure' perspective... I would say you are exactly correct. TWC customers may be able to get relieve from CCI flags... but that remains to be seen.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:16 AM   #5910
wtherrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
From a 'hardware/infrastructure' perspective... I would say you are exactly correct. TWC customers may be able to get relieve from CCI flags... but that remains to be seen.
You're more likely to see my remains before that happens.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote