TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2014, 11:20 PM   #1
cwnelson

Question About Premiere and A/V Connection

I recently got a new Roamio and got my Premiere to go lifetime. I just today went to hook up the Premiere to my other non-HD TV where my lifetime Series 2 had been. Series 2 was working fine. Was having problems with guided setup where the Premiere was not receiving channels. Not any. Noticed on my account that the Premiere had never been activated lifetime. Got this fixed on the phone and was told to wait 2 hours. Waited 4 and still no channels. I have the correct channel lineup as well as the guide downloaded. It plays shows I have recorded already, but no live tv even on non-cable channels. On my online account it still says that it's waiting for the TiVo to be reactivated and to wait 24 hours. Could this be the problem? I have checked my connections and everything seems fine.

One thing I thought of was that the Premiere now does not have a CableCard because I do not have digital on this Tv. But first, I shouldn't need one for analog channels. I do know that Time Warner (boo) lists some channels as "analog" but no CableCard device can do transfers from it because they're really digital. But I don't think this is the problem because 1. I should still get the basic channels that can't be copy-protected regardless of the fact there's no card in it and 2. My network diagnostic app does not recognize the Premiere even though it is connected to the network with an IP address and is able to download program information. My TiVo app also does not recognize it. Is this just a matter of TiVo dragging their feet on the authorization, or could it be another problem?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cwnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwnelson View Post
I recently got a new Roamio and got my Premiere to go lifetime. I just today went to hook up the Premiere to my other non-HD TV where my lifetime Series 2 had been. Series 2 was working fine. Was having problems with guided setup where the Premiere was not receiving channels. Not any. Noticed on my account that the Premiere had never been activated lifetime. Got this fixed on the phone and was told to wait 2 hours. Waited 4 and still no channels. I have the correct channel lineup as well as the guide downloaded. It plays shows I have recorded already, but no live tv even on non-cable channels. On my online account it still says that it's waiting for the TiVo to be reactivated and to wait 24 hours. Could this be the problem? I have checked my connections and everything seems fine.

One thing I thought of was that the Premiere now does not have a CableCard because I do not have digital on this Tv. But first, I shouldn't need one for analog channels. I do know that Time Warner (boo) lists some channels as "analog" but no CableCard device can do transfers from it because they're really digital. But I don't think this is the problem because 1. I should still get the basic channels that can't be copy-protected regardless of the fact there's no card in it and 2. My network diagnostic app does not recognize the Premiere even though it is connected to the network with an IP address and is able to download program information. My TiVo app also does not recognize it. Is this just a matter of TiVo dragging their feet on the authorization, or could it be another problem?

Thanks!

Is the TiVo set to output an aspect ratio/scan frequency which your video display device can handle?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #3
cwnelson

I did a test and I did not get a black screen on any frequency. Would this not also affect shows that are already on the box? I can watch those fine. I can also see the message that says it is searching for a signal. But a black screen behind it. We are 15 hours since I called and apparently the the addition of my premiere is still not processed.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
unitron

Without the cable card I don't think TWC is going to let that TiVo record or tune ANY non-analog channel.

But what you may be seeing is channels that were analog, maybe even just a few days ago, that are no longer available as analog or that can't fight their way through the snow and ice on the big dish at TWC's head end, or are coming in from the bird but the analog modulator at the head end is frozen.

So it could be the TiVo's okay, but either TWC is screwing you or the weather is screwing them.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #5
cwnelson

Ok so both TWC and TiVo believe that the problem is that the analog tuner on the old box must be damaged or defective. I hooked up the series 2 again and it works. I also took my CableCard out of my Roamio and put it into the premiere and I got the channels. I would just get another card and pay the extra $5 a month but I don't want to have to give TWC another dime, and i would not be able to do transfers, which is one reason I went ahead and got a new box. If I could do transfers on cable channels it would be worth the extra money (or I could just transfer them from the new Tivo). But TWC basically has blocked everything I want to do, and this supposedly damaged box will not work with analog when according to both TWC and Tivo it should.

What I can't explain and which seems weird to me is that the Premiere will log on to the network and download information, but my TiVo app will not see it, and my network Fing app will not see it. I have no idea whether these things are connected but I never had a problem seeing the Premiere on the network before.

Tivo has offered a replacement box with a transfer of the lifetime to that new box for the price of $80. I still can't transfer the old shows to the new box but that may be the best option. Any help? What would you do? Any advice would be helpful.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:40 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Ok so both TWC and TiVo believe that the problem is that the analog tuner on the old box must be damaged or defective. I hooked up the series 2 again and it works. I also took my CableCard out of my Roamio and put it into the premiere and I got the channels. I would just get another card and pay the extra $5 a month but I don't want to have to give TWC another dime, and i would not be able to do transfers, which is one reason I went ahead and got a new box. If I could do transfers on cable channels it would be worth the extra money (or I could just transfer them from the new Tivo). But TWC basically has blocked everything I want to do, and this supposedly damaged box will not work with analog when according to both TWC and Tivo it should.

What I can't explain and which seems weird to me is that the Premiere will log on to the network and download information, but my TiVo app will not see it, and my network Fing app will not see it. I have no idea whether these things are connected but I never had a problem seeing the Premiere on the network before.

Tivo has offered a replacement box with a transfer of the lifetime to that new box for the price of $80. I still can't transfer the old shows to the new box but that may be the best option. Any help? What would you do? Any advice would be helpful.
Giving the TiVo (and everything else on the network that doesn't leave the house) a fixed IP address that lies outside of the router's DHCP address pool (you may have to adjust it smaller) won't hurt, and it might help.

And reboot everything on the network after you do that.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #7
cwnelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Giving the TiVo (and everything else on the network that doesn't leave the house) a fixed IP address that lies outside of the router's DHCP address pool (you may have to adjust it smaller) won't hurt, and it might help.

Thanks.

And reboot everything on the network after you do that.
I haven't ever given static addresses for things on my network but I have thought about doing it. I know how to do that on a TiVo but I don't know what the address pool is or how to find out what it is. Can you give me a little bit of direction?

I also reconnected my series 2 since the Premiere isn't working and it also connects to the network but the network does not see it. It has a much lower number on the network than the tivos and the Roamio has the highest and it is visible on my network and the Tivo app. I have occasionally had this problem with my Series 2.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
cwnelson

Update: I now after a while (unknown why) can see all Tivos on my network, and I can even stream from the Premiere to the Roamio and ipad. However, I still am getting a black screen on my Premiere and I can see the channels on my Series 2. Right now they are using the same TV and just plugging the coax and the A/V cables between them to experiment. I can always see the channels on series 2 and never with Premiere. So I guess that's as much confirmation as I can get that my Premiere is dead unless I want to use the digital tuners on it. Shame. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Otherwise I have to decide whether to take the deal or just get a cablecard and not do transfers.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #9
lpwcomp

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything in your posts about performing a channel scan.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:06 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
I haven't ever given static addresses for things on my network but I have thought about doing it. I know how to do that on a TiVo but I don't know what the address pool is or how to find out what it is. Can you give me a little bit of direction?

I also reconnected my series 2 since the Premiere isn't working and it also connects to the network but the network does not see it. It has a much lower number on the network than the tivos and the Roamio has the highest and it is visible on my network and the Tivo app. I have occasionally had this problem with my Series 2.
I only have experience with the Linksys BEFSR41 non-wireless router and the Linksys WRT54G wireless router.

Both come from the factory set to a default IP address of 192.168.1.1

That's the IP address the router has on the LAN side, which is everything except the cable or DSL modem.

I've got a cable modem and I set the router on the WAN side to accept whatever DHCP address the modem gives it.

The modem I have defaults to an address for itself, on the side facing the router, of 192.168.100.1, which leaves it free to give the router any address between 192.168.100.2 and 192.168.100.254, which it'll do via DHCP

I don't need to worry about that part.

If all is well, it just works.

On the cable company side of the modem it'll get an address assigned, in my case via DHCP, by the cable company's equipment////that starts with something other than 192.////( I was asleep and hallucinating and thinking about something else when I wrote that last part.)

If I power down the modem, when I power it back up it might get the same IP address or it might get a different one.

I don't need to worry about that part, either.

Again, if all is well, it just works.

The part I need to mess with is the LAN side of the router.

To change settings on the router, I enter 192.168.1.1 into the address bar on a web browser (like IE, Firefox, Chrome, etc) on a computer with an Ethernet cord plugged into it and one of the LAN ports on the back of the router.

This brings up a popup asking me for a name and password.

One the Linksys units you leave the name blank and type admin for the password if you haven't already changed the default settings.

Other brands of routers might have a default of admin for the name and admin for the password.

You can find out in the owner's manual or Google the brand and model number of the router and one of the first hits will be where somebody answered somebody asking for the default.

This gets me into a web page served up by the router where I can monkey with the settings.

At this point an owner's manual, either on paper or on another browser window or a downloaded PDF of it comes in handy.

With a default IP for the router of 192.168.1.1, the address for the entire LAN is 192.168.1.0 and the address you send something to if you want everything on the network (the LAN) to take note of it is 192.168.1.255

That address ending in .255 is called the broadcast address 'cause it's the one everything listens on regardless of what address it listens on for stuff that's only for it.

That means that .0, .1, and .255 are off limits for anything else on the LAN, but that .2 through .254 are fair game.

If you only have 2 or 3 things that leave the house and need the flexibility to connect to the LAN at home and some other network when out, you could adjust the pool of addresses which the router has available to hand out via DHCP to say 5 of them, .250 through .254, and that'll accommodate your 2 or 3 and an unforeseen one or two.

In the future, if you need to, you can increase the pool by lowering the .250 to say .245 or .240 or whatever.

And at the other end, you can assign fixed IP addresses to stuff that doesn't leave the house, like TiVos and desktop computers.

In the above example you have a range of from .2 to .249 and if you're anywhere near needing over 200 different IP addresses for devices on your home network you need to hire a full time sys admin.

For flexibility's sake I spread them out, starting the PCs at .100 and the TiVos at .200, but you could start at .2 and work your way up or scatter them wildly anywhere among the 248 available ones if you want to.

The point, to me, of using fixed IP addresses when possible is that that way the device tells the router what its address is and that's that, end of discussion, whereas with DHCP they have to negotiate it.

No negotiation, no chance of the negotiation hitting a snag.

Also, DHCP "leases" tend to be for a shorter period of time than "forever", so a fixed IP address avoids the risk of "timing out".

Last edited by unitron : 02-14-2014 at 06:21 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #11
cwnelson

Very useful, thanks. I have monkeyed with the settings on my browser before, but not for some time. I didn't even know you could set the range.