Sounds like the perfect setup to me.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #32
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
No TV is 1080i, not unless it's an old CRT. Flat panel TVs are made up of pixels arranged in a grid. So your TV is either 1920x1080, in which case it's 1080p, or it's 1280x720, in which case it's 720p. The only reason 1080i is used for broadcasting is because there isn't enough bandwidth to transmit 1080p and because the HDTV spec was designed back in the 90s when CRTs were still the primary form of TVs. (CRTs are actually interlaced so the supported native 1080i)

For best results you should use either 1080p or 720p depending on the number of pixels your TV has. By selecting 1080i you're forcing your TiVo to convert 720p material to interlaced and then forcing your TV to deinterlace it for display. You're losing quality that way. By setting it to 1080p or 720p a 1080i signal will still need to be deinterlaced by the TiVo but only once, so the quality loss is less.
It seems like I learn something new on this board every day. I read this yesterday. Last night I changed the output on my Pro from 1080i to 720p for my 2005-vintage Samsung DLP TV (which does not support 1080p). Already I noticed better picture quality (notably less motion blur) when watching Olympics last night. Maybe it's my imagination or some kind of placebo effect, but I'll take it. Thanks Dan!
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:45 AM   #33
Ziggie

Quote:
Me and my wife can't share. Maybe if TiVo had profiles or something, but we both record a bunch of crap we watch on our own and neither of us wants to have to wade through the other's crap to find our shows. 6 tuners each is way over kill, but it allows us to pad everything which is nice.

We also have Minis connected in our respective offices so that when one is watching the main TV the other can go to their room and watch their own stuff.
Love it! LoL! A guy who knows how to keep happiness and tranquility in the home ~ dueling TiVos!

TiVo is the boss of me ~ Member of the TiVo family since 2003

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #34
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
It seems like I learn something new on this board every day. I read this yesterday. Last night I changed the output on my Pro from 1080i to 720p for my 2005-vintage Samsung DLP TV (which does not support 1080p). Already I noticed better picture quality (notably less motion blur) when watching Olympics last night. Maybe it's my imagination or some kind of placebo effect, but I'll take it. Thanks Dan!
I definitely agree that you can learn something new here! I'd be LOST without the great and friendly help I've received here!

TiVo is the boss of me ~ Member of the TiVo family since 2003

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #35
sfox7076

I would really prefer to not use the scaler in the TIVO and just use the one in my preamp (Anthem D2V). It takes a second more to change channels, but the Anthem is a noticably better scaler than the Roamio. Still nice though.

Shawn
sfox7076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #36
Dan203
Super Moderator

If you have an alternate scaler that you know is better then what's in the TiVo, and you can deal with the delay, then that is the better choice. However the scaler in most TVs is about equivalent to what's in the TiVo so if it's a choice between the TiVo or the TV doing the scaling then you might as well save the headache and just use the TiVo.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #37
moonscape

Quote:
I have a 2008 Samsung 61" DLP that does support 1080P - but when I go into video output, it won't allow me to select anything but 1080i. I went through the test formats, gave thumbs up to every image, all the output formats were checked, I unchecked everything except 1080P and it defaulted to 1080i. Did that same for 720p as a test, same thing.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: I'm an idiot. I failed to indicate 'continue' to give the thumbs up to change it, that's why it wouldn't stick. Just checking wasn't enough - duh.

Last edited by moonscape : 02-12-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: <ack>
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:15 PM   #38
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
If that's like the Sammy 1080P DLP set I got back in 2005, the highest it will accept over HDMI is 1080i. Only the VGA input accepts 1080P. I used the VGA input alot to feed 1080P from my video processor.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #39
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
If that's like the Sammy 1080P DLP set I got back in 2005, the highest it will accept over HDMI is 1080i. Only the VGA input accepts 1080P. I used the VGA input alot to feed 1080P from my video processor.
Yep, mine's like that. I didn't mention it because it's kind of moot for me as I've never used the VGA input.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #40
tim1724

Quote:
However the scaler in most TVs is about equivalent to what's in the TiVo so if it's a choice between the TiVo or the TV doing the scaling then you might as well save the headache and just use the TiVo.
In the case of my Samsung LCD, the TiVo is clearly better. I configured my Roamio to use only 1080p so I could avoid the delay (nearly 2 seconds on this LCD) and was pleasantly surprised to discover how much better the TiVo's scalar is. My old Series 3 didn't scale things well at all (especially 480i sources, which turned into a blurry mess) but the Roamio is great. For me Roamio > TV > Series 3.