TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2014, 06:10 AM   #1
TishTash

TiVo GSD after downloading new system update

(Not sure if I should've put this in the Roamio section, but this could involve any TiVo, not just Roamios.)

I just set up a Roamio w/external storage, which proceeded along Guided Setup swimmingly until the System Update notice. Upon one of the (repeated) restarts (not sure which one), I got the dreaded GSD (which even to this day fills me with deep depression). A GSD-restart cycle began, and what little kept my heart from sinking completely was the irregular length of the intervals, implying something more than vain robotic repetition might be at play. Sure enough, one restart resulted in not being able to detect the external storage. Unplugging, turning the external on/off, and replugging the TiVo resulted in another round of GSD restarts. One detail I failed to mention yet: the "in-use" light(s) on the external storage drive was flashing furiously throughout this dance. Finally--amazingly, miraculously--the TiVo proceeded to an installation of the System Update, and then to the initialization music video. I finally exhaled.

Anyone out there have any idea what happened? And how it got fixed? Up until now, my experience with GSD involved infinite restart loops resulting in a TiVo brick. The eventual resolution was a shocker, and forgive my pessimism if I'm not yet entirely sure that this unit is stable.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:25 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

External drive? Always your first step to solve something with a tivo is to get that out of the system. Your sig shows you are apt to upgrading yourself, why use an external at all?
Old 02-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
TishTash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
External drive? Always your first step to solve something with a tivo is to get that out of the system. Your sig shows you are apt to upgrading yourself, why use an external at all?
Fair question: The capacity I have can only be accomplished by with an external storage device, but I hear your point. Too many things go wrong with dongles of any variety, I understand, and the brittleness of the system increases exponentially. Oh well, I was just wondering what the heck might have occurred, and how it got fixed, which usually doesn't happen.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #4
TishTash

Well, I had to restart the thing again, and the GSOD returned. My fears of instability were founded. After watching it cycle again, this time without resolution, I had an epiphany to change the eSATA cable. (Why would the external drive keep grinding away? Why would it sometimes be recognized and other times not? And why were recordings proceeding, at least initially?)

After another inteminably lengthy GSOD, the welcome video came on; it's been rock steady since. Obviously, I feel about as stupid as I feel relieved.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishTash View Post
Well, I had to restart the thing again, and the GSOD returned. My fears of instability were founded. After watching it cycle again, this time without resolution, I had an epiphany to change the eSATA cable. (Why would the external drive keep grinding away? Why would it sometimes be recognized and other times not? And why were recordings proceeding, at least initially?)

After another inteminably lengthy GSOD, the welcome video came on; it's been rock steady since. Obviously, I feel about as stupid as I feel relieved.
Sounds like you never read the old S3 external threads where the occurrence of the WD eSATA cable going bad while just sitting there came up often.

Most of what I know about TiVos someone else here learned the hard way first and I was smart enough to read what they wrote ahead of time.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #6
TishTash

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Sounds like you never read the old S3 external threads where the occurrence of the WD eSATA cable going bad while just sitting there came up often.

Most of what I know about TiVos someone else here learned the hard way first and I was smart enough to read what they wrote ahead of time.
That, and their initial proclivity to just pop out with the slightest of tugs. The newer cables provide more friction, but this is my first outright bad cable. Oh well, live 'n learn.

Last edited by TishTash : 02-13-2014 at 01:48 PM.
TishTash is offline   Reply With Quote