TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #61
Ereth

What I find odd is that I used to like Leno's standup, and I liked him as guest host when it was the Carson show. But after it became his own, I rapidly lost interest in it. Somehow it became almost a parody of himself, telling really lame jokes and then laughing at them as if they were really clever.

I still liked Headlines, though.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #62
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
One thing about Leno, he'll die on stage. He'll work until he can't anymore. If it gets to the point where no one is willing to pay up to do standup, he'll do it for free.
The theory has been floated in the past that comedians tend to hate Leno because he doesn't seem to have the demons that others do.
He's got a seemingly loving and stable marriage, doesn't appear to have substance abuse issues, and by most accounts, comes across as a really nice guy to people.

I suspect that they've missed the possibility that Leno is horribly insecure and this manifests itself in the workaholic ways and wanting to be liked by everyone.

I was reading this retrospective of Leno hate (those Leno haters reading this thread, feel free to bask in the hate) and two things jumped out at me:

Quote:
Leno is set to inherit The Tonight Show from Johnny Carson in May. Before the big premiere, he chats about his career in a 60 Minutes segment that also includes agent Helen Kushnick recalling all the rejection Leno faced in his early years — “He was too dark, he was too ethnic, he was too menacing — they actually did tell me that they thought he’d be frightening to children” — and his wife Mavis remembering a casting director who spurned her husband, then put out a notice for a “good-looking Jay Leno.”
and

Quote:
Bill Carter publishes a follow-up to The Late Shift called The War for Late Night: When Leno Went Early and Television Went Crazy. Once again, he emphasizes Leno’s insane work ethic — Jay doesn’t even understand the idea of vacations — and obsessive desire to be loved. In the end, Leno comes across as pathetic and desperate: He’s devoted his entire life to his work, and he doesn’t know what to do when faced with the possibility of his show being taken away.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #63
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I see Leno's standing Sunday night show at the Comedy and Magic club in Hermosa Beach is sold out till March. Would of liked to see his show last night.

edit: If I still lived there. I've seen him a few times, don't think it was ever sold out, and most time, got free tickets with just the 2 drinks required.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:07 PM   #64
Michael S

Well this is interesting Seth Meyers new band leader is his former SNL alum cast mate Fred Amrisen.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/seth-meyers...213801071.html
Michael S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #65
GoPackGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael S View Post
Well this is interesting Seth Meyers new band leader is his former SNL alum cast mate Fred Amrisen. http://tv.yahoo.com/news/seth-meyers...213801071.html
OMG! That is AWESOME!
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:06 PM   #66
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
What I find odd is that I used to like Leno's standup, and I liked him as guest host when it was the Carson show. But after it became his own, I rapidly lost interest in it.
Yeah, I've said the same thing. His appearances on Letterman's show were absolutely hilarious, and I liked him as a guest host... so at the time I briefly liked that he got the TS, since it would mean two "good" shows. But he just got really bland. While Letterman too is admittedly sort of a pale imitation of his former self, he at least makes fun of it when he recycles jokes. (Actually, even though this was one of the things forced on him by his evil agent, I liked that Leno originally had 2 songs from musical performers -- at least if I liked the musician!)

I don't watch entire shows of any of the others. I watch very little of Ferguson, who everybody else seems to love.. I record it and others for a funny bit once in a while or musical guests.

Fallon does sort of seem like Letterman in the early days -- doing wacky stuff just to be wacky, and his game show bits and parodies are excellent.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #67
JYoung
Series 3

I got this link off of Mark Evanier's blog concerning the current breakdown of Late Night audiences.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...e-lenos-676713

I didn't realize that Letterman's audience skewed older than Leno's.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 02-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #68
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
I got this link off of Mark Evanier's blog concerning the current breakdown of Late Night audiences.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...e-lenos-676713

I didn't realize that Letterman's audience skewed older than Leno's.
Me neither. I wonder how much that has to do with NBC v. CBS's lead in.

These days, I'm an old man and go to bed before any of them. However, I TiVo Daily Show (which I always watch), Letterman, and Conan - which I'll sometimes watch.

Jon Stewart's ratings are great considering he's on cable.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:16 AM   #69
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
This is a fascinating video of Jay's and Dave's respective interviews in Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. They still really like - or at least respect - each other.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/05/bu...feld.html?_r=0
Old 02-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #70
smak
TV MA SLV

I think the difference between Leno and Letterman is that Leno wants to please everybody, and Letterman only wants to please himself.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #71
smak
TV MA SLV

If I were a betting man, and I am, I would bet that Leno will become a "regular" on Dave's show. Appearing a couple times a year.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #72
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
If I were a betting man, and I am, I would bet that Leno will become a "regular" on Dave's show. Appearing a couple times a year.

-smak-
I agree. Leno appeared on Dave's old show 41 times.

If he wanted to be a dick, he would do it on Jimmy Fallon's opening night.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #73
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post

-smak-
That'll send Howard Stern through the wall.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 02-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #74
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Well this is interesting Seth Meyers new band leader is his former SNL alum cast mate Fred Amrisen.

If I were going to pick a "Portlandia" cast member to be a late-night bandleader, he's not the first one I'd pick.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #75
argicida

Just watching Arsenio Hall for the the first time in 10 years - he used to look so relaxed and now he looks like he doesn't believe he should be there
argicida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #76
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
I agree. Leno appeared on Dave's old show 41 times.

If he wanted to be a dick, he would do it on Jimmy Fallon's opening night.
No way would he do that to Jimmy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:30 PM   #77
argicida

Continuing to look around for alternatives - I caught a few Chelsea Lately's

looks promising

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Lately
Old 02-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #78
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I like Fallon. I don't normally watch his show, but the parts I catch I usually enjoy. I hope he keeps everything pretty much exactly the same when he moves up an hour.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:40 AM   #79
DeDondeEs

Quote:

I hope Fred does his Lawrence Welk character while band leader. Heck they could probably convince many senior citizens out there that it is a replay of the Lawrence Welk Show and it would boost ratings.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #80
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

A couple of observations on the topic. I'll preface this by saying I'm only an occasional watcher of any of these shows and have no real preference to any of them. I watch if there's a guest I want to see. I'm also in the demo that doesn't matter anymore.

I've seen Fallon a few times, and I really like him, but he doesn't strike me as the type that's going to appeal to the younger demos. Just because he's younger than Leno doesn't mean that he appeals to 20 or 30 somethings. From what I've seen of Kimmel, he's CLEARLY going after that demo, as he has a lot more current pop-culture stars than the others and his bits appear geared toward a younger demo. Fallon even admits to being an "old soul" in this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/16/ar...er=rss&emc=rss

I think Fallon is just a younger Jay or Dave, but essentially does the same shtick.

Does Kimmel get better ratings among the desired demo than Dave or Jay do/did?

And I think the days of the Tonight show format are waning. There are just so many other choices out there. TDS and Colbert do well among those demos for a cable show and have a completely different format. Or at least it's presented differently.

As for Jay, it's hard to "feel sorry" for a guy worth what he's worth. He'll keep working, and hardly starve doing it. He's famous enough that people won't forget who he is. I predict he'll be like Seinfeld when his show ended. He'll do all kinds of gigs, which he still loves to do, and I bet he becomes a featured Vegas performer, where he'll do nightly shows for an extended period and he'll do well at it.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #81
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post

I've seen Fallon a few times, and I really like him, but he doesn't strike me as the type that's going to appeal to the younger demos. Just because he's younger than Leno doesn't mean that he appeals to 20 or 30 somethings. From what I've seen of Kimmel, he's CLEARLY going after that demo, as he has a lot more current pop-culture stars than the others and his bits appear geared toward a younger demo. Fallon even admits to being an "old soul" in this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/16/ar...er=rss&emc=rss

I think Fallon is just a younger Jay or Dave, but essentially does the same shtick.
Faillon isn't as cranky as Dave but does have Lorne Michaels in his corner so I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon.

Quote:
Does Kimmel get better ratings among the desired demo than Dave or Jay do/did?
Other than the week when he first moved to 11:30, no.
(See the chart in the article I posted about ratings)

Leno still beat him in demo most of the time.

However, Leno's lead was shrinking and as I stated earlier in this thread, I don't think he could have maintained it for more than another year or two.
(His lead in demo took a significant hit in the Conan fiasco.)

Quote:
And I think the days of the Tonight show format are waning. There are just so many other choices out there. TDS and Colbert do well among those demos for a cable show and have a completely different format. Or at least it's presented differently.
I've been mulling over similar thoughts.
I'm not sure that even the Great Carson would do so well in today's environment with everything else that's available.

Quote:
As for Jay, it's hard to "feel sorry" for a guy worth what he's worth. He'll keep working, and hardly starve doing it. He's famous enough that people won't forget who he is. I predict he'll be like Seinfeld when his show ended. He'll do all kinds of gigs, which he still loves to do, and I bet he becomes a featured Vegas performer, where he'll do nightly shows for an extended period and he'll do well at it.
I'm guessing that you didn't watch Leno's final show but at the end when he was saying goodbye, you could tell that he absolutely loved, loved doing this job. For him, it's not so much the money but the fact that this was his dream job.

And by his employer's metrics (ratings), he did the job very well, made them a lot of money, and didn't cause them a lot of problems (ala Charlie Sheen) and was a good soldier for them.

And his bosses rewarded him for all his good work and loyalty by taking his dream job away from him, twice.

On that level, I felt sorry for him.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 02-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #82
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
I'm guessing that you didn't watch Leno's final show but at the end when he was saying goodbye, you could tell that he absolutely loved, loved doing this job. For him, it's not so much the money but the fact that this was his dream job.
According to most sources "in the know," the money is meaningless to Leno. Supposedly he's never spent a dime of his Tonight Show money and simply lives off what he makes from his weekend stand up gigs.

Since he has no kids, I hope he's got a lot of charities in mind for his massive net worth. Maybe some of it will go toward endowing and creating a museum to house and maintain his car collection.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #83
GoPackGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Maybe some of it will go toward endowing and creating a museum to house and maintain his car collection.
This.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:05 AM   #84
argicida

This puts it very positive but he came on at 11:30 and didn't draw Tonight Show numbers

Quote:
TV Ratings: Jimmy Fallon Leaves 'Late Night' With Record 6.6 Million Viewers
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-leaves-678542
Old 02-14-2014, 02:37 PM   #85
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by argicida View Post
This puts it very positive but he came on at 11:30 and didn't draw Tonight Show numbers

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-leaves-678542
No, he drew better than normal Tonight Show numbers.
Quote:
The episode averaged 6.6 million viewers and 2.2 rating among adults 18-49 -- both highs for his Late Night tenure.
Fallon pulled a 2.2 in demo, which better than almost all of NBC's primetime lineup (not counting the Olympics).

Of course, he was following the Olympics so a better test will be a few weeks after the Olympics.

As a contrast, Leno's second Tonight Show finale scored 3.8 in demo.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...viewers-678358

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 02-15-2014, 08:57 AM   #86
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by argicida View Post
He hasn't been on at 11:30. That show started at midnight.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #87
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
He hasn't been on at 11:30. That show started at midnight.
The show actually airs at 12:35 a.m. ET/11:35 p.m. CT. I'd guess that argicida is referring to the central time zone scheduled time.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #88
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
The show actually airs at 12:35 a.m. ET/11:35 p.m. CT. I'd guess that argicida is referring to the central time zone scheduled time.
Talking about that specific episode, not the regular show time.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #89
sean67854
Why?

TC CLUB MEMBER
I wonder how many viewers of TDS watch it as a news source rather than a talk show.

Also, why is Ferguson essentially left out of all of these conversations? Is it because people just don't like his show, or because it's so different?

Xbox gamertag sean67854

sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #90
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post
I wonder how many viewers of TDS watch it as a news source
I wonder the same thing about Fox News.