TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
Gerryex

The Following - Season 2 **SPOILERS**

Is anyone watching? Yeah its just as dumb as season 1 but I'm still watching. I guess I like Kevin Bacon and some of the rest of the cast.

One thing especially bugged me about the last episode. The FBI was able to determine where the last remaining hideouts from the initial group of followers were and indeed had a literal army of agents, many in combat gear, breaking down the door and dispatched nearly all of the bad guys. But then there was the basement which even their fancy scanners could not penetrate so it was completely unknown what was down there. So how do they investigate it? One, AND ONLY ONE, person goes down there to see what's there. And its the good FBI guy from last season who also went after bad guys last season ALL ALONE (I think several times). This time nothing bad happened but it was still VERY STUPID!!!

Gerry

P. S. The pretty French bad lady seemed familiar and I looked her up and she was in the Last Resort. Also the art dealer lady who turned out to be bad but she looked familiar and I correctly determined that she was Connie Nelson without looking it up!
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
stellie93

I saw her last as Kelsey Grammar's wife. You had to know she was bad.

I'm actually liking it better than last year. The twins are good at being creepy.

Funny how the french lady kept asking to kill Carlos, and then he went ahead and didn't give her the chance--except to finish him off.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #3
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

I loved how the woman, bound with duct tape, instructs the daughter to get the knife to her right, then attack Joe, on her far left. Uh, how about telling your daughter to cut you free with the knife, then you can take a stab at killing Joe?

I knew the art lady was going to be a follower from the get-go, seeing as she only got knifed one time, and everybody else on the train got carved up, but it was a shocker to find out she's the twins' mom.

And why they hell would Ryan go and stare at her, from a considerable distance, like he's Mr. Miyagi trying to intimidate the Kobra Kai sensei, instead of getting closer so she wouldn't have a chance to run?

The sweet stupidity of this show never disappoints.

You know, if only they would spend a few minutes explaining how Joe does it. If it's just that he's lucky to keep finding people who are already psychos, then it's most absurd.

I wish they would show that he's developed some knew psychological technique to unlock the hidden psycho in everyone, or that he's brainwashing them all, and flash back to him employing that technique on the daughter, or any of his followers, to make them flip. Then at least it would be a little less absurd.
Carlucci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
morac
Cat God

In addition to the ridiculous plot, the writers need to do more research. There's no train that goes from NYC to Burlington, NJ. Not directly anyway and none of the streets on the map they showed exist. Actually the town looks nothing like Burlington at all, which makes me wonder why they picked the name.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
Gerryex

"Family Affair" 2/10 **SPOILERS**

OK, I know a lot of people stopped watching but as dumb as it can be I find myself drawn to it!!

On this episode I have two questions. Do we know who the lady was that Joe contacted. (She was the one with the young child that she initially thought was kidnapped but when she found out it was Joe she embraced him.) We did find out later that the lead FBI lady apparently had some kind of relationship with her but do we know anything else about the lady that helped Joe?

And the lawyer that was killed by the French lady. Who is he? I don't remember him at all!

Thanks,
Gerry
Old 02-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

No, we've never seen her before to my recollections. She's a typical woman in the Followverse. You know... Suburbanite. Devoted, loving mother. Joe-loving psychopath.

Looks like she is the former partner of the FBI lady, and there's a dispute over the children's visitation brewing in the back burner. Methinks the FBI lady is going to learn the hard way that you don't come between a Joe-loving psycho and the proper adherence to a court-ordered joint-custody arrangement.

As for the lawyer dude, I think he was party to the (now known to be) fake attack on the twin's mom, art dealer lady, and got injured during the staged attack. As such, he had to be eliminated before he could talk, and what better way than a nice neck-slicing garrote?
Carlucci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
stellie93

I wasn't sure if lawyer dude knew what was going on or not. He said they were saying terrible things about her on Tv. Probably would have been loyal to her until he realized what she really is and then....

I'm really liking this this year. They're still dumb as rocks, but it's moving along at a good pace.

So art dealer lady collects twins. Trouble is coming since everyone at the safe house is jealous of everyone else. That should be fun.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #8
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlucci View Post
No, we've never seen her before to my recollections . .

As for the lawyer dude . . .
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I'm really liking this this year. They're still dumb as rocks, but it's moving along at a good pace.
My sentiments exactly!!

From the preview for next week:
Spoiler:
It seems that the art dealer lady actually knows Joe!! Interesting!!

Old 02-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #9
Cainebj

Quote:
I wasn't sure if lawyer dude knew what was going on or not. He said they were saying terrible things about her on Tv.
I think they said he was her boss at the art gallery and implied he was her financial sponsor or something like that - so he wasn't a lawyer at all.

I'm still liking it and it still has some modicum of suspense for me.

The whole outside Grand Central and inside was silly but fun - when she screamed out for help and Kevin Bacon didn't scream out he was the law. I'm really liking the NYPD chick - I was kind of surprised by the little cliffhanger - she had just been IDed so I guess sitting 4 rows behind her - she'll never be noticed
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:53 PM   #10
mrdazzo7

caught up on the last couple of episodes... Man I was really hoping the writer's took the flak from last season to heat but they didn't. At all. Pretty much every scene that is supposed to be "suspenseful", and COULD be suspenseful, is wrecked by the stupidity of just about every character. The whole thing at Grand Central was the biggest example... Max HAD the chick - just stay quiet and call your cop buddies - they could have taken her before she even knew she was caught.

Ryan runs to the scene, still doesn't call in the FBI despite the fact that it's been hammered home 10 times now that he should be (Lily nearly getting killed, her partner actually getting killed, the family from the second episode, etc). No lessons learned. Then the two idiots try to chase her down into a BASEMENT, by themselves. No one calls the cops, or the freaking Army that is posted at the train station... Lock down the station? Stop the train she's on?

AHHH!! lol.. I know it's a TV show, and I DO like the concept of it, but I honestly can't think of a bigger example of a show relying on absolute idiocy at every turn. It ruins it for me when the writers rely on that. Especially since they could just choose to NOT do it that way. Some of the scenes could easily be structured differently without sacrificing anything. Like if Ryan or Max actually called in reinforcements but maybe they didn't get there in time, stuff like that.

Meh... I was actually not gonna watch anymore after last season but I figured I'd give it it a shot and see if it improved. Just sucks because they have the framework, they're just wasting it.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #11
Gerryex

Is anyone still following The Following? I still am but I have no idea WHY!!! It is so stupid I keep telling myself I should stop watching but I guess I'm a glutton for punishment!!!

So now Mike, the good FBI guy, is crazier than Kevin Bacon's character. And the art dealer lady is crazier than Joe. And one of the twins is shot multiple times in the chest and is able to get up and still fight with Mike. And of course we see the small plane, supposedly with Joe on it, ready to take off on the runway with all sorts of good guys preventing it. And OF COURSE its empty except for the pilot.

I could go on and on but we all know how dumb this show is. How many others are as crazy as me and sticking with it??!!!

Gerry
Old 02-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #12
stellie93

Here. I actually like the show. It moves really fast and keeps my attention. Of course there's a lot of stuff to overlook....
Old 02-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #13
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
How many others are as crazy as me and sticking with it??!!!
like watching an accident about to happen - unable to prevent it, and unable to turn away. my sp keeps recording, though i'm not really sure why i haven't deleted it yet, and less sure why i'm still watching.

i lost count how many characters died last ep, and was laughing at the absurdity of the sequential pile of killings - they sure move the story along at a fast pace - and not much job security for supporting cast!

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:37 PM   #14
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Is anyone still following The Following? I still am but I have no idea WHY!!! It is so stupid I keep telling myself I should stop watching but I guess I'm a glutton for punishment!!!

So now Mike, the good FBI guy, is crazier than Kevin Bacon's character. And the art dealer lady is crazier than Joe. And one of the twins is shot multiple times in the chest and is able to get up and still fight with Mike. And of course we see the small plane, supposedly with Joe on it, ready to take off on the runway with all sorts of good guys preventing it. And OF COURSE its empty except for the pilot.

I could go on and on but we all know how dumb this show is. How many others are as crazy as me and sticking with it??!!!

Gerry
So that small plane was supposed to hold Joe and Lilly and their respective entourages?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #15
smbaker

No discussion this week?

This episode was easily my favorite of the season. The new cult leader great. My favorite exchange went something like this:

Crazy cult guy: "Aren't you supposed to be dead? How'd you get around that?"

Joe Carroll: "There were lots of details..."

Crazy cult guy: "So you faked your own death!"

Joe Carroll: "As ... opposed ... to ... ?"

Am I correct that Crazy cult guy was the husband from Medium? I predict within 2 episodes, Joe will be sleeping with his wife, and within 3 he'll be the new cult leader.

Is Emma really finally dead? Went out with more of a whimper than a bang. I'm glad she's gone.

This episode is the first of the series that I think is actually good enough to watch twice.

Of course, putting protection on any of the Ryan's or Mike's family members would have just been silly. Nobody could have predicted anything bad would have happened to them. Ryan going back to teaching is a perfectly viable suggestion.

Does anyone know what actor played the Huntsman? He looks familiar, but I can't say from where.

Last edited by smbaker : 03-05-2014 at 04:06 PM.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #16
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
This episode was easily my favorite of the season. The new cult leader great.
I wasn't crazy about it. And I hated the new cult. It was mentioned in one of the online recaps that Joe's cult, while certainly crazy, at least seemed to have some kind of "purpose." Whereas this new cult is just plain crazy. They were much more like a stereotype of what a crazy cult would be. I didn't like that part of the story at all!!

Quote:
Is Emma really finally dead? Went out with more of a whimper than a bang. I'm glad she's gone.
No! The cult leader's wife told Joe that Emma was not dead. (And I was disappointed too!!)

Quote:
Does anyone know what actor played the Huntsman? He looks familiar, but I can't say from where.
I'm pretty sure it was Lee Tergesen, but the IMDb does not confirm it. He's done a lot of things but I most associate him with Oz (the prison show on HBO).

Gerry
Old 03-05-2014, 11:52 PM   #17
smbaker

My God, did all the people who threatened to delete their season pass actually do it this time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerreyex
Whereas this new cult is just plain crazy. They were much more like a stereotype of what a crazy cult would be. I didn't like that part of the story at all!!
What makes the Following so special is the over-the-top absurdity of the show. It's almost like a parody more than an actual drama. That's what is so delightfully perfect about this new cult. They took the stereotype to the extreme. I mean, we've even got loudspeakers playing propaganda in the background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerreyex
I'm pretty sure it was Lee Tergesen, but the IMDb does not confirm it.
It's made it to imdb, and you were correct.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #18
Gerryex

Quote:
My God, did all the people who threatened to delete their season pass actually do it this time?
I guess so!!!

Quote:
What makes the Following so special is the over-the-top absurdity of the show. It's almost like a parody more than an actual drama. That's what is so delightfully perfect about this new cult. They took the stereotype to the extreme. I mean, we've even got loudspeakers playing propaganda in the background.
You are probably right but for me this new cult was TOO over-the-top!!!!

Gerry
Old 03-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #19
eddyj

Sounds like this show is still very consistent.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #20
Joules1111
Not Drawful

Not deleted yet!

Quote:
No! The cult leader's wife told Joe that Emma was not dead. (And I was disappointed too!!)
Don’t give up hope yet.

I don’t recall her exact words but I think they were a bit more nebulous. Something like “Emma is still with us” or “Emma still lives on”. In the framework of the crazy cult it could just be her spirit or she lives through the cults or some such thing.

I like Jacina Barrett (from the Real World) as the cult wife.

Last edited by Joules1111 : 03-19-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Joules1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:45 PM   #21
Gerryex

3/17/14 - ** Spoilers **

Boy is no one watching this any more??!!

Still very stupid but still keeps pulling me back. The only question I have was when Mike went in to the strange cars ending up with a hood over his head but at that point the guys taking him clearly had badges hanging from their necks. So he finally meets up with someone. Was that Claire? Wasn't she killed? Apparently not if its her, but if I recall correctly she was stabbed several times and bleeding out on the floor!! I guess TV medical science can save ANYONE!!! If it is her then I assume she was in some witness protection program but why is she hanging around when they thought Joe was dead. If she is in witness protection why isn't she somewhere many many miles way and under a new name and life?

Anyway its still better than some of the other dreck that's on!!

Gerry

P. S. The search function in this forum stinks! I started this thread but its not in use much so I tried to search for "following" and it found nothing!! I had to search for posts that I made to find it!!
Old 03-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #22
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

So the agents sister is a psycho who rather make her children motherless than surrender?!!

Claire obviously knew Joe is still alive...they have the same TV surgeons!!
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #23
stellie93

They must really hate Ryan--he mourns Claire for a year, falls completely apart, risks his life to try to kill Joe--and nobody cares enough to let him know she's still alive.

So what do you bet there's another mole?

I still look forward to this show--I'm not sure why....
Old 03-19-2014, 11:05 PM   #24
smbaker

Quote:
So what do you bet there's another mole?
As was said in last season's thread:

Everyone except Ryan Hardy is a follower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88
So the agents sister is a psycho who rather make her children motherless than surrender?!!
Sister? I thought she was her former 'partner'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex
Boy is no one watching this any more??!!
Still watching. Turns out I was both right and wrong: Joe did end up running Micah's cult in three episodes or less, but he did not sleep with his wife.

It annoys me they brought Claire back.