TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
samccauley

Can you cast from TiVo iPad app to Chromecast?

The ability to watch content from my Roamio Pro on my iPad when I'm traveling is great. It'd be even better if, when I'm a hotel room for example, I could cast from my iPad to my Chromecast dongle plugged into the hotel room TV.

Is that possible?

If not, is there some other way to achieve the same thing (watching my Roamio content on my hotel room TV)?
Old 02-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
sandman55

Just this past weekend I hooked up my iPad to the hotel TV using Apple's digital AV adapter. The TV screen had the message "mirroring is not permitted." That's the Tivo app talking. I can play movies from the Video app. I'll be interested to hear if the Chromecast works.
sandman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
spaldingclan

I jailbroke my Ipad just so I could use my digital av adapter (30 pin to hdmi) for ANY video app. "Displayout" is the jailbreak app that does that and if any app (like the official Tivo App) disallows streaming if the device is JB'd, I use the app xCon to trick it so I can stream. I've used the digital av adapter to stream using the tivo app from my roamio to another tv in my house via hdmi (don't see why it wouldn't also work for OOH either)
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
sandman55

I also tried it with my jailbroken iPhone with xCon and still got the mirroring error message from the Tivo app.
sandman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #5
Philmatic

No, and will never be supported.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
Grakthis

Even if the TiVo app supported this, the Chromecast can't really be hooked up to a hotel TV in the majority of situations. Chromecasts have to connect to Wifi and a Chromecast doesn't have any way to authenticate to a hotel network. And if it did, it would be open to anything on the network to cast to it, which means anyone in any hotel room anywhere just firing off video to your TV.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Someone posted a trick to getting that to work. (i.e. Chromecast in a hotel) I think they used a laptop to connect to the hotel wifi and then used internet connection sharing to get the Chromecast to connect through the PC. Although if you're going to do that you might as well just connect the laptop directly to the TV.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:30 AM   #8
Chuckmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Someone posted a trick to getting that to work. (i.e. Chromecast in a hotel) I think they used a laptop to connect to the hotel wifi and then used internet connection sharing to get the Chromecast to connect through the PC. Although if you're going to do that you might as well just connect the laptop directly to the TV.
I have done it in several Las Vegas hotels, they give you wired HSI(usually Cox) in the room as part of the "resort fee". Then use the laptop to fling content to the chromecast. As to why not just connect a HDMI cable to the set, most of the time it allows have something on the TV and still have full use of the laptop and not be right next to each other.

Tivo Roamio (Upgraded to 3TB)
Tivo Mini
Tivo Premiere4
Networked to 3 HDTV's for a True Sports Watching Experience
Chuckmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:34 AM   #9
jjd416

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman55 View Post
Just this past weekend I hooked up my iPad to the hotel TV using Apple's digital AV adapter. The TV screen had the message "mirroring is not permitted." That's the Tivo app talking. I can play movies from the Video app. I'll be interested to hear if the Chromecast works.
This is the reason why I use TiVo Desktop when I want to bring shows with me to watch in a hotel room. Mirroring isn't an issue and I am able to use Apple's digital AV adapter. Granted it isn't as easy as using the TiVo app as I have to transfer the shows to my laptop and then to my iPad, but it works.
jjd416 is offline   Reply With Quote