TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:24 PM   #271
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Just a nit--720p is also HD, available on Netflix at 2350- and 3000 Kbps. It is the resolution of ABC HD, Fox HD and most HD cable channels and many if not most HD streaming services and was the only HD resolution available on Netflix until a few years ago.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:55 PM   #272
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
Just a nit--720p is also HD, available on Netflix at 2350- and 3000 Kbps. It is the resolution of ABC HD, Fox HD and most HD cable channels and many if not most HD streaming services and was the only HD resolution available on Netflix until a few years ago.
True. Although with Netflix it is not really the resolution that matters. The higher the bitrate, the better quality the encode is. So while 720p is fine for HD channels, the encodes on Netflix that are 720p are no where near as good as the "Super HD" ones. It that has little to do with the resolution.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #273
ustavio

Sigh. Had another reboot just after midnight. Everything seemed to be working just fine with the "return of the profiles" (hmmm...sounds like the name of a reunion tour for an 80s band). No change in Netflix UI. No overt changes. No network loss or bizarre fluctuations on my end that I could detect. Nothing. Zip. Nada. Just another out of the blue "Hey, think I'll reboot just for the heck of it because I can" kind of of reboot. Think the longest I've gone without a reboot at any time since buying the Roamio is 12 days. This time I squeezed only 8 days out of it. Also, this time it took 7-8 minutes to reboot. Seemed a bit longer than usual.

If only a certain percentage of people on this forum experience reboots (and assuming they are reported here), one can only wonder how many folks who aren't even aware of the forum experience them. There must be some common denominators for those who do and those who don't.
ustavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:23 PM   #274
JC Fedorczyk

Where the heck is Tivo Margaret. She had mentioned something last year about an upcoming release that was supposed to fix this and now nothing.
JC Fedorczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #275
HarperVision

She's probably just getting back and settled in from CES I would think.
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #276
hefe
Rebus Philbin

I'm not having reboots, but I've started getting Netflix not connecting errors.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #277
ncfoster

Sorry if I am going over old territory, but my two irritations with the current Netflix app on my Roamio Pro are:

1) Video almost always starts at a low quality. This is similar to what I experienced on my Premiere, which I almost never would use for Netflix. On my PS3, things almost always start at a high quality. I don't always check to see exactly what the quality is, but it is at least 720p. The upshot is that when I am watching a show when a show doesn't open with credits, etc., I get very irritated with the quality. This persists when I am watching a series of episodes. Each subsequent episode goes back to the low streaming quality before it ramps up to HD or "SuperHD" levels.

I suspect that this is unavoidable without changes by Tivo/Netflix on the app, but I'd love to be wrong.

2. When I try to track what sorts of quality are coming in, I press the info button to get the quality information in the corner. If I press it again to make that information go away, part of the overlay remains, and the part that disappears is fully transparent. This is quite unpleasant, and I haven't found a way past this glitch, other than to get out of the show, and get back into it. Am I missing something? Is everyone seeing this behavior?

Optimistic that the second problem will be an easy bug fix. Pessimistic that the slow quality throttling is by-design, and will drive me back to my PS3 for any "critical viewing". At least the kids don't seem to care for their stuff.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #278
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post

2. When I try to track what sorts of quality are coming in, I press the info button to get the quality information in the corner. If I press it again to make that information go away, part of the overlay remains, and the part that disappears is fully transparent. This is quite unpleasant, and I haven't found a way past this glitch, other than to get out of the show, and get back into it. Am I missing something? Is everyone seeing this behavior?

Optimistic that the second problem will be an easy bug fix. Pessimistic that the slow quality throttling is by-design, and will drive me back to my PS3 for any "critical viewing". At least the kids don't seem to care for their stuff.
After you press the info button to remove the info, press the down arrow to bring up the play bar, then press the up arrow to hide the play bar.

That should remove all bit rate info from the screen.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #279
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

The stream info bobble isn't a bug, since it's an undocumented debugging tool . There've been problems with it before, some of which took months for them to get around to repairing. As long as it doesn't bother the developers they've got better things to do.

Be happy that it's available at all; most devices don't have it.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Old 02-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #280
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post
1) Video almost always starts at a low quality. This is similar to what I experienced on my Premiere, which I almost never would use for Netflix. On my PS3, things almost always start at a high quality. I don't always check to see exactly what the quality is, but it is at least 720p. The upshot is that when I am watching a show when a show doesn't open with credits, etc., I get very irritated with the quality. This persists when I am watching a series of episodes. Each subsequent episode goes back to the low streaming quality before it ramps up to HD or "SuperHD" levels.
In the Netflix site you can set your quality, the default is auto, that why you may have your problem, try setting the quality to the highest and that may solve your problem as I never have your problem of starting at low quality, my Netflix comes out at 1080p /24 all the time using my Roamio plus and a MoCA interface.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #281
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
In the Netflix site you can set your quality, the default is auto, that why you may have your problem, try setting the quality to the highest and that may solve your problem as I never have your problem of starting at low quality, my Netflix comes out at 1080p /24 all the time using my Roamio plus and a MoCA interface.
I have mine set to High in Netflix and both my Roamios are hardwired to a 50/10 Comcast connection. Both Roamios start at low quality most of the time and ramp up.

By far my ATV is the fastest most reliable Netflix client I have. It always starts and stays at the highest level....plus the interface is faster than Tivo.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:18 PM   #282
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
I really don't think that has much if anything to do with it. The "High" setting has an explicit limit, 3 GB/hour. If that limit is observed you could not get the 12 Mbps 3D encodes, which are 5.5 GBph w/192 Kbps DD+ 5.1 sound; you'd have to set it to "Auto".

"
" -- hookbill

Last edited by mikeyts : 02-13-2014 at 01:26 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #283
ncfoster

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but I tend to agree that it doesn't affect the Tivo. It was already set on High. If I had to guess, the setting only affects playback on the web, but maybe it will throttle other devices.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote