TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #91
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Yah. That too.
Well, the bite doesn't turn you into a Walker. It just kills you.

THEN you turn into a Walker.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #92
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
A Katana is a must have in a zombie apocolypse!
I doubt that I'd keep one. Getting an actual Katana is not an easy feat, and learning to use one, properly, is even harder. If you weren't already an expert with the Katana prior to the ZA, you won't survive long enough to become one afterward if that's your primary weapon.

From Zombie Wikia:

Quote:
As he has stated at public speakings, the katana is the favored weapon of Max Brooks, writer of The Zombie Survival Guide. Brooks claims that until the lightsaber from Star Wars is made real, the katana is the best melee weapon to use against the undead. Many actual sword experts and aficionados disagree with this gushing assessment.
Emphasis mine.

In the Melee weapons category I'd take a baseball bat with nails as my first choice. I'm already very familiar with swinging a baseball bat.

Short-cutting by looking for hot-button org names? Ho-hum....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BlueMerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #93
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMerle View Post
In the Melee weapons category I'd take a baseball bat with nails as my first choice. I'm already very familiar with swinging a baseball bat.
Or you could wrap it in barbed wire.

And name it "Lucille."
Old 02-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #94
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Based on The Last of Us... the most durable melee weapon is a child-sized knife, followed by a machete, then a pipe. A bat with a blade modification is only good for one or two enemies.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #95
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
The woman in 28 Days Later used a sword which didn't make sense because one drop of blood could infect you. It appears that only death turns you into a "Walker".
There's no worry about infection in the TWD-verse because it's been established that everyone is already infected, and that death is the triggering event in the virus becoming active.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #96
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

The best weapon for a zombie apocalypse would be a ranged melee weapon - something that you can use to strike without having to be within your target's reach.

It would have to have some heft to it, since you can't really rely on the magically weakened zombie skull from the virus in TWD. In theory the katana is perfect because it has enough heft to cleave through a skull, but you have to know how to use it.

The Lobo from the WWZ book is pretty genius - an infantry trenching tool with the sides sharpened to a point (or with axe blades welded on the sides?). Being able to stab *and* slash is ideal, and the lobo does that. Weight is always a concern though.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #97
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I think the best weapon would be a .22 caliber semi-automatic rifle with a 50 round magazine. Shorten the barrel a bit and affix a silencer and you've got a light and quiet zombie head shooter.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #98
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Or a bite.
But a bite only turns you if it kills you, right? If you get bit bad enough you get sick and die, but like with Hershel's leg, if you survive you're ok. I guess since they're all infected anyway, it doesn't matter how much zombie gunk you get on you or in you.
stellie93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #99
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
But a bite only turns you if it kills you, right? If you get bit bad enough you get sick and die, but like with Hershel's leg, if you survive you're ok. I guess since they're all infected anyway, it doesn't matter how much zombie gunk you get on you or in you.
The bites do seem to be fatal, however. Herschel was only saved by cutting off his leg before the infection (bite infection, not zombie-causing infection) spread past it.

Have we seen anybody survive a zombie bite without drastic treatment (i.e, amputation)?
Old 02-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #100
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Quote:
I think the best weapon would be a .22 caliber semi-automatic rifle with a 50 round magazine. Shorten the barrel a bit and affix a silencer and you've got a light and quiet zombie head shooter.
In a perfect world, yes. In order, the best weapons would be (imo):
  • Long gun
  • Shotgun
  • Handgun
  • Projectile (bow and arrow, crossbow, slingshot)
  • Melee

The problem is ammo. If you had a very large supply pre ZA and if you were able to ride out the initial waves at home then firearms are your best bet.

Truthfully, you'd better save your ammo for other people, they're going to be your biggest threat. Especially in the beginning.

You'd better find a melee weapon that you like and you're good with. There's no guarantee that you'll be able to ride out the whole thing at home and you certainly won't be able to carry much ammo or many guns for that matter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #101
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Best weapon would be a survivalist style bunker with years' worth of food and water.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #102
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post

Have we seen anybody survive a zombie bite without drastic treatment (i.e, amputation)?
I don't think so.
And we watched Jim die a slow and painful death from a bite that didn't kill him initially.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #103
john4200

I'd go for a shotgun or rifle with a modified bayonet (modified so it can not only lunge but also be swung like a club with spikes on the side). Also a short sword or long knife in case the bayonet gets hung up on a walker and I need to finish it.

But really, I think any combination of a spear to immobilize or slow down the walker (if you miss the kill thrust) and a short sword or long knife or maybe a spiked mace would be a good choice unless you are highly skilled with a sword.

Last edited by john4200 : 02-11-2014 at 08:15 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:02 PM   #104
zalusky

I think you guys need to watch the Mythbusters Zombie episode. Guns lose over the good old Axe: http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/my...223925193.html
Old 02-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #105
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
I think you guys need to watch the Mythbusters Zombie episode. Guns lose over the good old Axe: http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/my...223925193.html
The guns aren't for killing the zombies. They're for killing the living.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #106
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
That was one of the worst Mythbusters episodes I have seen. If you are being attacked by a herd of zombies, the worst thing to do is stand out in the open and avoid leaving a circular area. That is just stupid.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #107
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

I'm sorry but the pets thing makes no sense to me at all. How does simply walking with two pets keep the other zombies off of you? Smearing the blood/guts on you makes more sense than simply dragging two hobbled zombies along with you.

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
crazywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #108
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywater View Post
I'm sorry but the pets thing makes no sense to me at all. How does simply walking with two pets keep the other zombies off of you? Smearing the blood/guts on you makes more sense than simply dragging two hobbled zombies along with you.
Yeah, not to mention that just because the two pets have had their arms and lower jaw hacked off that wouldn't stop them from still trying to attack her. They're Zombies, they don't know they have no arms or a lower jaw!

Honestly though, I have no problem suspending disbelief in this case. The very first time we saw Michonne with her two original pets was a stunning scene. It makes her look more of a bada$$ and it serves to further the storyline/plot.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #109
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Quote:
Yeah, not to mention that just because the two pets have had their arms and lower jaw hacked off that wouldn't stop them from still trying to attack her. They're Zombies, they don't know they have no arms or a lower jaw!
I can't remember where I read/heard an explanation of sorts about this. Something about when they lose the ability to feed they lose the desire?

Yeah, I agree. Still sounds lame, but like you I don't care. Michonne is still my favorite.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #110
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
I can't remember where I read/heard an explanation of sorts about this. Something about when they lose the ability to feed they lose the desire?

Yeah, I agree. Still sounds lame, but like you I don't care. Michonne is still my favorite.
iirc that's how they explained it when she first appeared.

Also that they "react" when other dead enter the area, so she used them as an early warning system.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #111
Test

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing while watching that scene. I could see if she kept them right next to her. Hiding the scent kind of like smearing yourself with blood/guts, but the way they showed her just walking right next to the zombie version of herself and there was no reaction until she killed one of them made no sense. Why can't they all do the Shaun of the dead thing and walk among them pretending to be dead? You HAVE to have two zombies tied to yourself by rope? Looks cool though and I bet that is the actual reason it came about everything else was made up to justify it.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #112
pmyers

When I said the Katana was a must have, I didn't mean by itself. But for close melee, I wouldn't want anything else. I wouldn't trust bashing power from a bat.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #113
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
I was thinking the same thing while watching that scene. I could see if she kept them right next to her. Hiding the scent kind of like smearing yourself with blood/guts, but the way they showed her just walking right next to the zombie version of herself and there was no reaction until she killed one of them made no sense. Why can't they all do the Shaun of the dead thing and walk among them pretending to be dead? You HAVE to have two zombies tied to yourself by rope? Looks cool though and I bet that is the actual reason it came about everything else was made up to justify it.
Apparently the magic deterrent must be in the rope or chain between the "pets" and Michonne because that's the only difference between her walking among walkers with her "pets" and her walking among walkers by herself. Only when she dropped the ropes and broke the magical connection did she became visible to the walkers again.

Or maybe Michonne is invisible when she wants to be.

When she found Rick and Carl, she looked at them through the window for a while and they never even saw her even though she was right in front of them. I know they wouldn't have necessarily recognized her because the curtains were pulled, but there was a decent gap where they should have noticed something suddenly blocking the light - unless she was invisible.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #114
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
iirc that's how they explained it when she first appeared.

Also that they "react" when other dead enter the area, so she used them as an early warning system.

Yes, that is also how I remember it!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #115
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Apparently the magic deterrent must be in the rope or chain between the "pets" and Michonne because that's the only difference between her walking among walkers with her "pets" and her walking among walkers by herself. Only when she dropped the ropes and broke the magical connection did she became visible to the walkers again.

Or maybe Michonne is invisible when she wants to be.

When she found Rick and Carl, she looked at them through the window for a while and they never even saw her even though she was right in front of them. I know they wouldn't have necessarily recognized her because the curtains were pulled, but there was a decent gap where they should have noticed something suddenly blocking the light - unless she was invisible.
I think a lot of it has to do with the concept that zombies rely on other zombies to determine when there is something worth going after. So Michonne's pets don't go after her because they can't. Then another zombie goes by and assumes there is no fresh meat to be had because the two zombies already there aren't going after it. And then as others join the herd, that same "thinking" prevails. It was only when Michonne stopped acting like one of the zombies that they did a new "calculation" and assessed that she wasn't one of them.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:11 PM   #116
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with the concept that zombies rely on other zombies to determine when there is something worth going after. So Michonne's pets don't go after her because they can't. Then another zombie goes by and assumes there is no fresh meat to be had because the two zombies already there aren't going after it. And then as others join the herd, that same "thinking" prevails. It was only when Michonne stopped acting like one of the zombies that they did a new "calculation" and assessed that she wasn't one of them.
I think you're attributing a bit too much 'thinking' ability to the zombies. We're talking about a group that finds a shut door a challenge. A locked door is an impenetrable barrier and they have no concept of 'breaking glass' to gain entry.

I don't think they do any 'calculations' beyond "brains".

Hollywood has to have some means to advance the storyline/plot or make one person seem as though they're endowed with 'badassery'. Science or reality usually has nothing to do with that.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:07 AM   #117
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
I think you're attributing a bit too much 'thinking' ability to the zombies. We're talking about a group that finds a shut door a challenge. A locked door is an impenetrable barrier and they have no concept of 'breaking glass' to gain entry.

I don't think they do any 'calculations' beyond "brains".

Hollywood has to have some means to advance the storyline/plot or make one person seem as though they're endowed with 'badassery'. Science or reality usually has nothing to do with that.
That's why I put "thinking" and "calculations" in quotes. They're not actually thinking, but I do think that in the world of TWD, the walkers are taking cues from the other walkers around them, and when the walkers closest to Michonne are not going after her, that is a signal to all other walkers that there is nothing there to go after. Thus, they don't even notice her, just like they don't really notice other walkers.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:51 AM   #118
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
That's why I put "thinking" and "calculations" in quotes. They're not actually thinking, but I do think that in the world of TWD, the walkers are taking cues from the other walkers around them, and when the walkers closest to Michonne are not going after her, that is a signal to all other walkers that there is nothing there to go after. Thus, they don't even notice her, just like they don't really notice other walkers.
Which does not work as an explanation, since the closest walker to Michonne in a couple scenes was one of the herd, not her pets. She would need to keep her pets on a very short leash for your explanation to work.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:30 AM   #119
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

This does bring to my mind's eye a double yoke with enough distance between the ends for someone to walk between. In a walker-infested world you could go into business making "cars" - a harness set that surrounds you with "safe" walkers, allowing you to travel the roads in relative safety!

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:58 AM   #120
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Quote:
This does bring to my mind's eye a double yoke with enough distance between the ends for someone to walk between. In a walker-infested world you could go into business making "cars" - a harness set that surrounds you with "safe" walkers, allowing you to travel the roads in relative safety!
....and you could be paid with a new form of currency - giant cans of chocolate pudding!
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote