TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #31
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlucci View Post
Episode 4:

Now we're getting ready to see if the "vault" does in fact lie in the other spot he predicted, and the metal detector/metal probing seems to indicate that something is there, which of course, will waste the entire episode before they end with another cliffhanger.

Ugh. So true.

This and the constant narration of "Could the treasure be xxxxx", with no resolution to the questions is very annoying.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #32
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

Episode 5: (Season Finale)

I watched 5 episodes of TCoOI and all I got was a lousy Spanish coin. But, (and you'll never believe this) the brothers who spent a small fortune on acquiring the rights to the island, and invested in technology and resources to further excavate and explore, took a tense, suspenseful vote at the end have decided to KEEP LOOKING. Why, it's almost as if a cable network was giving them money to broadcast their search.

The skeptic in me says that coin was planted. And if I'm ever in the market for underground metal detection services, I'm certainly not hiring that firm, whose detector gave a huge false-positive signal, that led to nothing but some stones. But it's the island, you see, playing its usual tricks on the would-be treasure finders.

When it was all done, it took 5 hours to show what could have been contained in a half-hour documentary. If it weren't for the teaching opportunities it provided for my daughter, it would have been a complete waste of time.
Carlucci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:09 AM   #33
Donbadabon
Geocacher

^^^ I agree with everything you said.

I didn't realize it was the season finale. Ugh.

Not sure why the diver went with Nitrox. Nitrox ( a nitrogen/oxygen mix ) is used to decrease decompression times when diving and give you longer bottom times. I don't see any advantage when submerged in 1 foot of muck.

As much as this show annoys me, I can't stop watching.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #34
JMikeD

Quote:

When it was all done, it took 5 hours to show what could have been contained in a half-hour documentary.
Yeah. Pretty disappointing. My hopes dimmed when they got the Scandinavian guy on there with his wild theories. Cancelled wishlist entry.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #35
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't understand why someone doesn't just put a concrete caisson around the whole site and just dig it out. You could use something along the lines of the machine they used to dig and pour the walls on the Big Dig in Boston to just build a wall around the whole site and just excavate it, once and for all.

These guys have already reportedly poured over 2 million dollars in this site. Probably would have gone a long way toward the above.
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #36
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

Heck, I would have settled for a good old-fashioned sandbag barricade around the rather small targeted section of the swamp and pumping or even bailing the water out of there. It wasn't that deep.

But I guess it's more dramatic to have a diver scooping out the muck instead of letting us see what's (not) really down there.
Carlucci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #37
cannonz

Quote:

I watched 5 episodes of TCoOI and all I got was a lousy Spanish coin. But, (and you'll never believe this) the brothers who spent a small fortune on acquiring the rights to the island, and invested in technology and resources to further excavate and explore, took a tense, suspenseful vote at the end have decided to KEEP LOOKING. Why, it's almost as if a cable network was giving them money to broadcast their search.

The skeptic in me says that coin was planted. And if I'm ever in the market for underground metal detection services, I'm certainly not hiring that firm, whose detector gave a huge false-positive signal, that led to nothing but some stones. But it's the island, you see, playing its usual tricks on the would-be treasure finders.

When it was all done, it took 5 hours to show what could have been contained in a half-hour documentary. If it weren't for the teaching opportunities it provided for my daughter, it would have been a complete waste of time.
I suspected plant too, and don't forget $300,000 or what ever the uber detector cost and gave false positive.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #38
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
You mean PVC pipe and copper wire? Should have cost about $12.50
Old 02-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #39
fylcsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
You mean PVC pipe and copper wire? Should have cost about $12.50
I was stunned by that too.
fylcsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #40
tiassa
Me --Avatar

The thing that annoyed me is that they were all over the place, pumping the water out of hole 10X, diving offshore, fraining the swamp, they never reached a conclusion with any of those projects, really.

I agree that barricading off the area of the swamp around the suspteced "metal hit" and bailing or pumping it out makes a lot more sense than "diving" in it.

The scanner was several microphone like things attached to the PVC pipe frame, presumably to measure the reflected sounds. Still trying to figure out what caued the hit and where/why it got moved.

I didn't really like what they did, but I'm a sucker for the story --if they do a sequel, I'll probably watch
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #41
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post
Still trying to figure out what caused the hit...
The producers.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #42
cannonz

We did learn one thing the Lorenz deep max 6 is a pos metal detector.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #43
Donbadabon
Geocacher

If there is some sort of treasure on the island (which I think the chances are zero point zero), these knuckleheads won't be the ones to find it.

They clearly have no gameplan, switching from the shaft to the cove to the swamp in the blink of an eye. Complete one task all the way through. Eliminate it, or verify it.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #44
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
I thought the gameplan was to make money from the TV Show
Old 02-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #45
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Ahh, I didn't consider that. In that case, they are doing great.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:59 PM   #46
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Thanks to this thread I saved myself having to watch the last two episodes, or whatever they're going to come up with for the next "season".