Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #31
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
However I do think the fact that Sheldon kissed Amy and didn't recoil in horror does show that their relationship is progressing.
And that Jim Parsons is a good actor.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #32
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIVO_GUY_HERE View Post
I could see Sheldon kissing her to make his point, but when he put his arm around her, I thought, Ok, we are going to start to see a new Sheldon.

But then he rated the banjo player the best part of the weekend, so maybe not.
No, he didn't choose a favorite. He needed more data. It went like this:
Leonard: Hang on, hang on. Are all those things equal to you?
Sheldon: Hmm, it never occurred to me to pick a favorite.
Leonard: Give it a go.
Sheldon: I can't answer that without collecting additional data.
Leonard: "Additional data", you dog!
Sheldon: I'm not sure how listening to other nine-fingered banjo players makes me a dog, but all right.

ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #33
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Off on another tangent, I've met folks like their awkward train dude, I cringed most of the way through that part.
Hell, I've BEEN folks like the awkward train dude. Trying being deeply into medieval history, or comics books, or any of a number of other things, in a room full of normal people.

I've learned to be keenly aware of the impending eye-glaze.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:31 PM   #34
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Hell, I've BEEN folks like the awkward train dude. Trying being deeply into medieval history, or comics books, or any of a number of other things, in a room full of normal people.

/frantically searching for an eye-glaze emoticon
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #35
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
I realized after you posted that my cringe could be misconstrued, I felt bad for all parties, Amy for having it happen, and train guy for not understanding what he was doing wrong, and the cringe'ness comes from having close friends with unique gifts that can veer into that zone too, I still love them to death.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #36
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
/frantically searching for an eye-glaze emoticon
Believe me, if there were such a thing, this forum (and this thread) would be full of it.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #37
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
Lost. Malcolm in the Middle. NCIS. Tons of other stuff I can't remember right now. She has been around a long time.
She was in Intelligence the week before this episode aired.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #38
ct1

Quote:
Or, 20 years ago, trying to explain "yes, I use my computer to log onto these computer networks, download software, chat with total strangers, etc." and you can just see behind their eyes "totally cuckoo, normal folks would never do something like that..."
ct1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #39
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1 View Post
Or, 20 years ago, trying to explain "yes, I use my computer to log onto these computer networks, download software, chat with total strangers, etc." and you can just see behind their eyes "totally cuckoo, normal folks would never do something like that..."
And I assume you are implying that nowadays "normal" folks would do something like that...

I would not use our community here in any meaningful representation of "normal."
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #40
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
However I do think the fact that Sheldon kissed Amy and didn't recoil in horror does show that their relationship is progressing.
Sure, it progressed in this episode. But if next week it just goes back to Sheldon being Sheldon and they don't move forward from the kiss, then it will be terribly disappointing.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:17 PM   #41
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was not aware of this before, but a friend told me today that train guy Eric (who used to work for UPS) was actually dressed and acting much like a "trainspotter" from the UK. My friend was saying that over there, that is what the geeks wear. Right down to that type of jacket he had on and that Sheldon liked. The thought was maybe it was a nod to that similar culture as as our geeks in England. Or maybe just a coincidence. I know at least 3 Rail Fans- train geeks personally and could see a bit of Sheldon in all of them. As Rob H said,
Quote:
Yep. Been there, done that. Heck, still there and still doing it, but have learned to be quiet also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:00 AM   #42
ct1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
And I assume you are implying that nowadays "normal" folks would do something like that...

I would not use our community here in any meaningful representation of "normal."
Maybe not our community, but Facebook stats would indicate that quite a few folks use computer networks nowadays...
ct1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:55 AM   #43
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I liked this episode. Howard and Bernadette's eye rolls and comments were funny, as was Amy trying to cajole Sheldon to come back to here. When I was in Napa Valley, I saw that train and thought it would have been a lot of fun to ride on it
Old 02-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #44
Agatha Mystery

I did think that the train was a sweet idea by Amy in an attempt to do something that Sheldon liked. I didn't quite see how his point was valid when he said that he was supposed to have fun, when that fun obviously excluded her. He stood there, and berated her, embarassing her in front of everyone in that train car. Whatever point he won, he lost with that tirade. However, it was nice to see him suddenly enjoy the date-like portions (mid-kiss) to the point where he invited her to go with him, rather than exclude her by running off and playing with his train friend.
Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #45
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
Me too. They don't have to get married or anything, but forward is needed.

She is a cutie. Hope she becomes a regular. I don't really find any of the women on the show that attractive anymore. So it would be nice to have her on.
Funny thing is, I recognized her right away from Malcolm in the Middle, because I had just watched a few of her episodes, and then I went to IMDB to confirm that i was right, and saw that she was Alex on Lost, and then kicked myself for not realizing that.

She has grown up nicely.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #46
mattack

Quote:
Heck, basically all of the contestants on "King of the Nerds" _are_ "awkward train dude" (or dudette). I realize they're probably encouraged to nerd it up on that show..

The kiss in this episode was totally the 'fake movie/TV kiss'. They were basically kissing the side of each other's mouths. It probably would have looked more realistic from some other angle from the camera.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #47
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

When you think about it, Sheldon and Amy actually have a better relationship in many ways than Penny and Leonard. Penny and Leonard don't seem to have anything in common other than carnal knowledge. If Leonard took up heavy drinking then they would have that in common too, beings that is a big part of Pennys' character now.

But Sheldon and Amy seem to a relationship enjoying their particular brand of pastimes such a 'Fun with Flags', Word of the Day, Counter-factuals, and other entertainment.

And if Amy really wants some 'action', she only needs be sick, or even better, fake being sick. Then she can get a good spanking, with suitable romantic music in the background. Sometimes you have resort to a little manipulation of your significant other if you don't have hollow bones.

And they have a relationship agreement that at least provides a forum for addressing problems.

Last edited by replaytv : 02-11-2014 at 04:02 PM.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #48
smak
TV MA SLV

Maybe they have a better friendship, but I don't think they have a better relationship. Amy constantly has to tell Sheldon that he's treating her like crap, and she continually takes it because she doesn't think she can do any better.

Manipulating your boyfriend into showing romantic feelings towards you really doesn't make a healthy relationship.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #49
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

OMG, sitting on a train to NYC and a woman who looks just like Bernadette is sitting across from me.

Almost a perfect copy minus the, ahem, chest area and the voice.

I wish I could take a picture!
Old 02-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #50
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
OMG, sitting on a train to NYC and a woman who looks just like Bernadette is sitting across from me.

Why can't you?

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #51
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Why can't you?
New York has super-strong stalker laws?
Old 02-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #52
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Why can't you?
Well, I did get caught staring a couple of time with my jaw on the floor (it took me a while to get over the shock).

Plus, I am not a TOTAL creep!
Old 02-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #53
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
New York has super-strong stalker laws?
Pffftt.....

XL4
Old 02-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #54
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:

Sounds like a new improved 'Bernadette 2.0'! Did you ask her if she wanted to take up acting? Bernadettes' voice irritates me, and I prefer lighter on the top, except for weather girls.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #55
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I was not aware of this before, but a friend told me today that train guy Eric (who used to work for UPS) was actually dressed and acting much like a "trainspotter" from the UK. My friend was saying that over there, that is what the geeks wear. Right down to that type of jacket he had on and that Sheldon liked. The thought was maybe it was a nod to that similar culture as as our geeks in England. Or maybe just a coincidence. I know at least 3 Rail Fans- train geeks personally and could see a bit of Sheldon in all of them. As Rob H said,
Yep. Been there, done that. Heck, still there and still doing it, but have learned to be quiet also.
The slang name for them is "anorak", which is a type of coat.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:54 PM   #56
mattack

Quote:
Did you ask her out?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:54 AM   #57
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

I was reading in one of my brothers' train magazines, and it had a article about a guy that takes videos of trains.

Initially he did it for hobby. He would set up his equipment and cameras at particular locations that he liked the scenic and the particular train coming by and he would even set up lights for night shots. He told his train buddies about his videos and started sharing them. Then he started selling them and then was able to quit his job and live on the money he made selling them.

He does have problems on occasion with law enforcement coming by and wanting to know what he is doing, but he now just shows them his DVDs for sale of the trains and they then leave him alone.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:36 AM   #58
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
I was reading in one of my brothers' train magazines, and it had a article about a guy that takes videos of trains.

Initially he did it for hobby. He would set up his equipment and cameras at particular locations that he liked the scenic and the particular train coming by and he would even set up lights for night shots. He told his train buddies about his videos and started sharing them. Then he started selling them and then was able to quit his job and live on the money he made selling them.
Reminds me of The Station Agent and them chasing the train all whoopy and hollering

When I was a kid a couple of relatives had train tracks in or near their back yards and a train going by was an occasion to all us kids. They're just fascinating!
Old 02-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #59
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Reminds me of The Station Agent and them chasing the train all whoopy and hollering

When I was a kid a couple of relatives had train tracks in or near their back yards and a train going by was an occasion to all us kids. They're just fascinating!
"The Station Agent" is a WONDERFUL movie. I'm a unashamed train lover; I don't routinely photograph trains, but my wife and I love traveling by train and have taken six long distance (at least one night) train trips in the US over the past 10 years...

XL4
Old 02-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #60
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

I spent a bloody fortune on this stuff for my son. I even had the wooden chest to store it in, just in case I have a grandson someday. It all got washed away in Sandy.