TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #31
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahacker View Post
What devices do you have that can even use AC wireless? Don't waste your money unless you have specific plans and needs for it. Just get a quality N router. Anything that isn't moving in the house like Tivo should be wired period.
Fair point - honestly not sure any of our laptops or tablets are equipped with AC. And yes, all of our stationary equipment is wired via Cat 5e or MoCA. So I guess buying an AC router is a future-proofing move for most people?
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #32
Time_Lord

I haven't used a consumer grade router and switch for quite some time, granted most of the equipment is getting dated but runs rock solid. The disadvantage is fans, routers and switches have fans!

I'm using a
Cisco 1921 router - online 4 months - reload due to a sw upgrade
Cisco 3550xl switch w/PoE - online over a year - restarted due to a power outage
Cisco 1242 A/P (x2) - dependent upon the switch for power but up over a year too

What I can say is my network is rock solid, but I'm using dated equipment I'm only running a 100Mb/s network which I have found to be sufficient for what I'm doing.

I don't have issues with devices having problems connecting to my A/Ps, (they only run A/B/G) and when they are connected the signal is always rock solid. I connect my work laptop to my wireless network and use a VoIP phone while using Webex and never have a problem.

I understand that most (all?) of the new consumer grade stuff is all gigabit ethernet which is fine but from where I am standing it looks like manufacturers are putting out cheap junk so fast they never properly test the equipment and simply replace it with the next router/switch that they can push out the door and make more money on.

I guess the point is, before you rush out and buy the latest and greatest thinking that you really must have Gigabit ethernet or that new N or AC wireless router, does the current equipment meet your needs and is it stable? If it does why not leave it alone and not buy the new equipment because it hit all the new fancy buzzwords.

oh, don't forget your home ethernet wiring, Gig ethernet requires Cat5e or better to run (Cat 6, 7 or whatever else is out there won't buy you any more performance but will cost you more $$)

just my $.02

-TL
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #33
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_Lord View Post
I haven't used a consumer grade router and switch for quite some time, granted most of the equipment is getting dated but runs rock solid. The disadvantage is fans, routers and switches have fans!

I'm using a
Cisco 1921 router - online 4 months - reload due to a sw upgrade
Cisco 3550xl switch w/PoE - online over a year - restarted due to a power outage
Cisco 1242 A/P (x2) - dependent upon the switch for power but up over a year too

What I can say is my network is rock solid, but I'm using dated equipment I'm only running a 100Mb/s network which I have found to be sufficient for what I'm doing.

I don't have issues with devices having problems connecting to my A/Ps, (they only run A/B/G) and when they are connected the signal is always rock solid. I connect my work laptop to my wireless network and use a VoIP phone while using Webex and never have a problem.

I understand that most (all?) of the new consumer grade stuff is all gigabit ethernet which is fine but from where I am standing it looks like manufacturers are putting out cheap junk so fast they never properly test the equipment and simply replace it with the next router/switch that they can push out the door and make more money on.

I guess the point is, before you rush out and buy the latest and greatest thinking that you really must have Gigabit ethernet or that new N or AC wireless router, does the current equipment meet your needs and is it stable? If it does why not leave it alone and not buy the new equipment because it hit all the new fancy buzzwords.

oh, don't forget your home ethernet wiring, Gig ethernet requires Cat5e or better to run (Cat 6, 7 or whatever else is out there won't buy you any more performance but will cost you more $$)

just my $.02

-TL
I can buy a LOT of consumer grade stuff for what you paid for yours.
And if you buy the right consumer stuff it really does work good. My Asus has only been rebooted for upgrades. Rock solid for probably 10% of the cost of your setup.

And I have wireless N And gig everywhere.
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:55 AM   #34
aaronwt
HD Addict

I've had the same experience with Asus and Dlink. I only need to reboot for a software update. My GFs Dlink router I setup for her has been up for several years now without issues.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #35
vsbdtv
Custom User

Recently setup a Mini to go with my Roamio and started experiencing lots of stuttering and lost connections. From trying different cables etc was able to narrow it down to my Asus RT-N66U router. I upgraded the firmware on the Asus to the latest versions, and the problem actually worsened. Even tried the Merlin firmware version to no avail. When I replaced the RT-N66U with an old Linksys WRT300N I had in the attic, the problem disappeared. The RT-N66U had been very good for wireless, but I think it's LAN connections are not reliable, at least in my case. All of the Tivo equipment was plugged in to the RT-N66U directly.
vsbdtv is offline   Reply With Quote