TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
fletchoman

Roamio problems that I cannot live with...

Roamio must be able to record reliably. see this thread for details:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=512448

Another issue that I am seeing that I have not seen mentioned yet. When I use FF to fly past commercials, it sometimes takes 30 seconds or more for the audio to get synced back to the video. I have been forced to back up 30 seconds to give the Roamio a chance to get back in sync when the program restarts. It doesn't happen every time, but when it does it is very frustrating. Basically, all I hear is a popping sound every 5 seconds or so until the audio comes back even though the video starts immediately.

Note: I have used the 30 second skip option over the standard "fast scan" option.

I have seen this behavior on 2 different Roamio's so I expect the audio glitch to be present in all roamio's. Is anybody else seeing this issue?
fletchoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchoman View Post
Another issue that I am seeing that I have not seen mentioned yet. When I use FF to fly past commercials, it sometimes takes 30 seconds or more for the audio to get synced back to the video. I have been forced to back up 30 seconds to give the Roamio a chance to get back in sync when the program restarts. It doesn't happen every time, but when it does it is very frustrating. Basically, all I hear is a popping sound every 5 seconds or so until the audio comes back even though the video starts immediately.

Note: I have used the 30 second skip option over the standard "fast scan" option.

I have seen this behavior on 2 different Roamio's so I expect the audio glitch to be present in all roamio's. Is anybody else seeing this issue?
What's your audio setup? I've not experienced that on my Roamio Plus connected via HDMI. Such a significant audio sync issue would have been reported by others if it was widespread.

Brief audio drops when going from Live TV to Tivo Central or vice versa are common with recent software versions, but it lasts no more than 2-3 seconds usually.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #3
fletchoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
What's your audio setup? I've not experienced that on my Roamio Plus connected via HDMI. Such a significant audio sync issue would have been reported by others if it was widespread.

Brief audio drops when going from Live TV to Tivo Central or vice versa are common with recent software versions, but it lasts no more than 2-3 seconds usually.
All my audio feeds through HDMI as did my series-3...which never had this problem. Audio drop usually lasts no more than a few seconds...but occasionally, it can go long enough that it takes longer than the commercial to get audio synced again.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

You certainly should not have to deal with such issues. I would suggest reaching out to Tivo Margret directly. If this was widespread, there would be tons of threads here complaining, so it appears you have something unique going on. Not sure if that is your home's service, CC, provider, component combination, or luck of the draw for bad boxes.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
fletchoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
You certainly should not have to deal with such issues. I would suggest reaching out to Tivo Margret directly. If this was widespread, there would be tons of threads here complaining, so it appears you have something unique going on. Not sure if that is your home's service, CC, provider, component combination, or luck of the draw for bad boxes.
The only problem is, I'm on my second TiVo Roamio, and both boxes had the same issue. It may be that it's only present because I've chosen to use the skip feature rather than the scan. But I'm very surprised that nobody else has seen this problem. When it happens it can be incredibly frustrating and annoying.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
The only problem is, I'm on my second TiVo Roamio, and both boxes had the same issue. It may be that it's only present because I've chosen to use the skip feature rather than the scan. But I'm very surprised that nobody else has seen this problem. When it happens it can be incredibly frustrating and annoying.
We've had our TiVo for four months, and I had been using scan and then later skip to avoid commercials. Here lately I've switched to the 2nd fast forward speed. Works well. When you see the show return hit play and it jumps back a bit -- it works well for me.
DeltaOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
Fusillade

I've experienced the same problem. A quick bump backwards usually resyncs the audio and video. Annoying but there is a quick work around so it is low on my issues which need to be resolved.
Fusillade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
tomhorsley

Are you running the audio through a receiver box? Some receivers are better than others at noticing audio changes and resyncing correctly.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:43 AM   #9
pautler

I have also seen a similar "audio sync" issue, but only 3 or 4 times in 3 months. The issue I see is that after fast forwarding (or 'skipping' ahead) the audio gets very choppy and cuts in and out every second. A quick 'rewind' and 'play' resolves it.

I have a very simple set-up. Roamio basic with an over the air antenna (no cable card or TA) connected directly to an LG LED TV with an HDMI cable.

-Joe
pautler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #10
fletchoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Are you running the audio through a receiver box? Some receivers are better than others at noticing audio changes and resyncing correctly.
My setup uses an optical out from the television is an input to the receiver, I have use the set up with my Series III for many years without any issues. I used a technique described in this thread where I back up one notch and nine times out of ten, that solves the problem. However, once in a while I back up once and it still doesn't sync, and I back up twice and it still doesn't sync, and I back up three times and then it's syncs but by then a minute or two has passed.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:46 PM   #11
Reeltripp

I have similar set up and sound has no problems on 30s FF or FF X 3.
I'm on TWC.
Reeltripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:33 AM   #12
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusillade View Post
I've experienced the same problem. A quick bump backwards usually resyncs the audio and video. Annoying but there is a quick work around so it is low on my issues which need to be resolved.
I've had that issue on my S3 OLED, HD, Premiere - but not the Roamio (so far). Thank the over-complicated mess that is HDMI - specifically Sony and the other bat-s^!@ crazy movie studios

Check if your audio receiver can accept firmware updates, and then if there is one apply it. My Onkyo was really bad when I first got it and a firmware update cleared up many issues (and made switching sources much faster!).
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #13
fletchoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo View Post
I've had that issue on my S3 OLED, HD, Premiere - but not the Roamio (so far). Thank the over-complicated mess that is HDMI - specifically Sony and the other bat-s^!@ crazy movie studios

Check if your audio receiver can accept firmware updates, and then if there is one apply it. My Onkyo was really bad when I first got it and a firmware update cleared up many issues (and made switching sources much faster!).
I'll eliminated the receiver by playing sound through the television alone, next I'm going to try doing an optical out directly to the receiver to see if that helps.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #14
DocNo

Thumbs up

Quote:
I'll eliminated the receiver by playing sound through the television alone, next I'm going to try doing an optical out directly to the receiver to see if that helps.
Good troubleshooting methodology. I wish you luck and hopefully you can get it resolved!
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:25 PM   #15
vurbano

I had the sync issue with the premiere units not the roamio. The fix was simply to pause then play. With the roamio I've had complete loss of sound. Lol. The solution is to change channels and back again. Haven't had it happen lately though.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #16
fletchoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
I had the sync issue with the premiere units not the roamio. The fix was simply to pause then play. With the roamio I've had complete loss of sound. Lol. The solution is to change channels and back again. Haven't had it happen lately though.
Thanks for the suggestion; it was very helpful and worked for me.

I did finally get my optical cable and it solved the problem completely. Using the optical out from Romeo definitely is much better than relying on HDMI.

This problem is now solved.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #17
hhh222

My basic Roamio has audio dropout issues. My S3 had dropouts rarely and hitting backup always corrected it.

On the Roamio, way more often and does not come back quite so easily.
hhh222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #18
c133roamioerrors

Before I had Tivo, I had 3 DVR and 1 DVD. The Comcast DVR was connected to my TV and from the TV to the amp for audio r,y,w. I'm down to 1 DVD connected to the amp and the Tivo to the TV using HDMI and from the TV to the AMP for audio r,y,w. The TV volume is fixed and the overall volume is controlled by the amp. I suppose I could try TiVo HDMI to the amp, and then HMDI from the amp to the TV. What I have now works fine and there are no synch problems.
c133roamioerrors is offline   Reply With Quote