TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
rlcarr

Does the Roamio Pro have two network interfaces?

Obviously I know the Roamio Pro has the functionality of a TiVo Stream inside it. But is this done by essentially embedding a Stream in the Pro?

I ask because I set up my DHCP server to give my Pro (connected via MoCA) an address of 192.168.1.130 (DHCP server will always give it that address because on my DHCP server I established a mapping between the Pro's MAC and that IP address).

However, when I set up the iOS Stream app and looked at its settings, the app was reporting the Pro was at 192.168.1.204 (which is in the address range I've configured my DHCP server to give to devices with unmapped MAC addresses). And the DHCP lease file my server generates shows that the device it gave the .204 address to is the Pro.

I went to the Pro's network settings page and it shows the 192.168.1.130 address. I then pinged the .130 address and it was live. And I pinged the .204 address and it also is live.

So is that second address the Pro is using in fact an essentially embedded Stream?
rlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
mrizzo80

Yes.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:25 PM   #3
rlcarr

I also see when viewing settings in the iOS app that the embedded Stream is reporting a release of 19.whatever, in contrast to the 20.whatever the Roamio reports on its System Information page.

I assume that Streams in general have that 19.whatever release?

And can the Stream in the Roamio Pro get its release updated, or is it "frozen"?
Old 02-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Any computing device can have multiple IP addresses. It's not common, but there are plenty of reasons to do it. One being needing to use the same TCP/IP port for different applications. As in the stream and the tivo aspects of the box both need to use a certain port. Configuring the software internally to set the other up on a different IP would neatly work around it.

Here's an additional test to consider. Bring up a cmd prompt, ping both the stream and the tivo address. Then do an 'arp -a' and it'll bring up an 'address resolution protocol' table. Compare the IP addresses with the MAC addresses. I'd venture a guess they'll both have the same MAC address.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
Tivogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Any computing device can have multiple IP addresses. It's not common, but there are plenty of reasons to do it. One being needing to use the same TCP/IP port for different applications. As in the stream and the tivo aspects of the box both need to use a certain port. Configuring the software internally to set the other up on a different IP would neatly work around it. Here's an additional test to consider. Bring up a cmd prompt, ping both the stream and the tivo address. Then do an 'arp -a' and it'll bring up an 'address resolution protocol' table. Compare the IP addresses with the MAC addresses. I'd venture a guess they'll both have the same MAC address.
Nope. They have different MACs.
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
tim1724

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
I'd venture a guess they'll both have the same MAC address.
The Roamio Plus/Pro essentially have an ethernet switch inside them with a TiVo Stream hanging off it. The Stream is pretty much identical to the standalone Stream for Basic/Premier users, with its own separate hardware (including Ethernet interface) so it actually has a separate MAC address for that.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #7
rlcarr

Does/can the embedded stream get software updates like (I presume) the standalones can?
Old 02-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #8
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcarr View Post
Does/can the embedded stream get software updates like (I presume) the standalones can?
The answer to that would have to be yes, either as standalone FW that is bundled into the main Roamio updates or it is handled as some separate update.

It's not possible to put the Stream hardware into the Roamio and provide no way to update the FW.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote