TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #31
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejonesss View Post
i am om a premere not romaio yet and i am getting this problem too.

i just tried a ssd solid state drive in hopes it is access speed issue.

padding does not sound right since to pad is usually to compensate for example to pad the time code you may add some junk at the end of the show to make up for the missing data.

when you burn an audio cd the 2 seconds of silence added is like padding or when you fill up the remaining space on a check that could be padding.

is anyone getting the glitches on their romaios? i am thinking of buying a romaio but if it has the same problem i may not buy so yet

When you pad back to back recordings on the same channel with padding, without this functionality the Tivo should for example use 2 tuners at the point the first show ends and the next starts.

Tivo is trying to save from using that extra tuner where they keep the recording going and then somewhere in software they split the file into the 2 shows. It's this split that is causing the issue.

It's software related, not drive speed related.

-Kevin
kbmb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #32
ejonesss

is there a way to force the box to use the second tuner?
ejonesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:28 PM   #33
kbmb

Quote:
is there a way to force the box to use the second tuner?
Nope.

I chose to remove all padding on season passes for now because this bug can also programs to be missed completely at random.

-Kevin
Old 02-10-2014, 04:38 PM   #34
ejonesss

how do i remove the padding?
Old 02-10-2014, 04:39 PM   #35
kbmb

Quote:
how do i remove the padding?
You would have setup padding in each season pass. Edit the season passes and remove any start or ending padding.

-Kevin
Old 02-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #36
ejonesss

is the padding the start early and end late settings?

i have mine set to start 10 minutes early and 15 minutes late.

why 15 minutes is because it should end during the commercials because the first segment is 12 to 14 minutes long so the glitch then should happen during the commercials thereby not be a problem.

the other option is to do manual recording and set it to start say at the 50 minute of the previous hour and end 15 minutes after the following hour so

7:50 pm to 9:15 pm thereby it blindly records and no padding because it isnt tracking the length of the show
Old 02-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #37
cherry ghost

Quote:
Yes
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #38
kbmb

Quote:

i have mine set to start 10 minutes early and 15 minutes late.

why 15 minutes is because it should end during the commercials because the first segment is 12 to 14 minutes long so the glitch then should happen during the commercials thereby not be a problem.

the other option is to do manual recording and set it to start say at the 50 minute of the previous hour and end 15 minutes after the following hour so

7:50 pm to 9:15 pm thereby it blindly records and no padding because it isnt tracking the length of the show
I have no idea exactly what Tivo is doing to split the file. I had all my shows padded by 2 minutes on the end, however, the glitch occurs about 1 minute in. I would think it would glitch at 2 minutes in, but it doesn't.

-Kevin
Old 02-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #39
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
I have no idea exactly what Tivo is doing to split the file. I had all my shows padded by 2 minutes on the end, however, the glitch occurs about 1 minute in. I would think it would glitch at 2 minutes in, but it doesn't.

-Kevin
This is another problem, we're not getting the full pad on the first show. If you activate the clock in the upper right corner of your TV, you'll see that the first show stops early and then that's where the glitch is in the second show.
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #40
ejonesss

@cherry ghost that's why i use 10 minutes on each side before but it is now 10 and 15 in hopes to eliminate the blips and to ensure i get all of the show.

is the romaio also prone to the same glitching? meaning has tivo fixed the bug by the time that the romaio was released?
Old 02-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #41
kbmb

Quote:
@cherry ghost that's why i use 10 minutes on each side before but it is now 10 and 15 in hopes to eliminate the blips and to ensure i get all of the show.

is the romaio also prone to the same glitching? meaning has tivo fixed the bug by the time that the romaio was released?
This happens on the Roamio as well.

-Kevin
Old 02-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #42
ejonesss

if everyone could tell tivo to please fix the bug it is probably as simple as utilizing the other tuner(s) during the overlaps

we dont care about watching another channel while the overlap happens so we can get away with all tuner(s) being busy)
Old 02-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #43
Wendy in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
I had several recordings scheduled with start/end set to 1 minute extra at either end. Two of these (at least) were on the same channel (BBC America, Doctor Who specials), and I noticed both recordings have a brief glitch with video pausing and pixellating at just about exactly the 1 minute mark where the Roamio would have been cranking up (or finishing, depending on how you look at it) the next show on the same channel.

Is this merely a coincidence, or have others seen the same thing with overlapping recordings on the same channel?

I guess I should experiment with explicitly recording some stuff that will overlap and see if it happens every time.
Yes, I have overlapping records (a minute) and it glitches right at that point. Also, my Roamio Pro (5 months old) just had it's very first spontaneous reboot.
Wendy in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #44
stacycris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Tivo knows about the issue. Unless you want to waste your time, I wouldn't bother calling and talking to anyone.

Tivo Margret says it's fixed in the update hopefully in March.

-Kevin
That's what I figured. Thanks!
stacycris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #45
mattack

Quote:
if everyone could tell tivo to please fix the bug it is probably as simple as utilizing the other tuner(s) during the overlaps
Umm, that's exactly what it USED to do. This (improvement), if it worked properly, would
HUGELY increase my 'effective' number of tuners, since a LOT of the padding I need is due to shows that abut each other on the same channel.

Now that I have a 6 tuner Roamio, it's actually much less _needed_ (it being the use the same tuner), but I'd still appreciate it if it worked properly.

Last night I had the NBC Nightly News fail to record because I made the Olympics go an hour later... and the reason in history was that the power was lost! But I actually had the NBC Nightly news in the Olympics recording. (I guess because most everything is tape delayed, they aren't really going over time very much). I ended up downloading it, chopping that section out, and watching it on VLC. (and argh, today they did put up the audio podcast of yesterday's ep.. sigh)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:03 AM   #46
ejonesss

everyone please waste your and tivo's time complain to them and just like a ddos attack overwhelm them so that just like flappy bird http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=64098 they will crack and stop sitting on fixes

tivo if you are watching these forums and judging by

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...php?f=42&a=112

you are watching these forums

if you do not give us back our multiple tuners and stop using the software to emulate additional tuners we will be forced to return our boxes to the place of purchase for refund (users within the guarantee time) and tell them this box is being returned due to your trying to emulate extra tuners.

also if you have boxes in stock configuration still under warranty please open an rma and return the box for repair and repeat with the description of the problem.

eventually they will eat thousands maybe millions on unnecessary replacements of hard drives , power supplies and motherboards and even complete boxes trying to satisfy customers that maybe they will learn fix the problem in a desperate last ditch attempt to get back their customers
Old 02-11-2014, 05:08 AM   #47
ejonesss

also seeing that roamio is effected too is this tuner emulation about money so if i buy the roamio pro at $600 does it have real tuners and much less prone to the problem?
Old 02-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #48
ejonesss

update: i just tweeted to tivo voicing my problem

twitter.com/tivo i included a block of text in an image so you should be able to get more info
Old 02-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #49
L David Matheny

Quote:
if you do not give us back our multiple tuners and stop using the software to emulate additional tuners we will be forced to return our boxes to the place of purchase for refund (users within the guarantee time) and tell them this box is being returned due to your trying to emulate extra tuners.
You're missing one point here: Most of us don't want TiVo to back away from single-tuner overlap handling because it's an excellent feature. We just want them to get it working properly by doing the copying in a background task so it won't interfere with the essential foreground task of capturing the transport stream of the recording. If they get it right, it will be great.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #50
ejonesss

@L David Matheny ok how about making the single tuner an option that can be disabled
Old 02-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #51
kbmb

Quote:
@L David Matheny ok how about making the single tuner an option that can be disabled
If they actually got the feature to work, I'm not sure why anyone would turn it off. If it works as expected, it's transparent to the user.

You only want to turn it off now because it doesn't work right.

-Kevin
Old 02-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #52
ejonesss

some of us dont want a feature
Old 02-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #53
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
If this feature worked perfectly, you wouldn't want it?

BTW, this is a semi-rhetorical question. Only semi, as I do want to hear your answer. But in reality, if it worked perfectly, you wouldn't even know whether it used one or two tuners without doing a lot of work to find out.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #54
mattack

Quote:
If it worked properly, THERE WOULD BE NO REASON FOR TURNING IT OFF.

It *effectively* GIVES YOU MORE TUNERS FOR FREE.

Don't you like free stuff?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:16 PM   #55
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
You're missing one point here: Most of us don't want TiVo to back away from single-tuner overlap handling because it's an excellent feature. We just want them to get it working properly by doing the copying in a background task so it won't interfere with the essential foreground task of capturing the transport stream of the recording. If they get it right, it will be great.
I think it more likely that the problem is the process that "splices" the two pieces of video together not doing it cleanly, not "interference" with recording.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:35 PM   #56
lpwcomp

Quote:
This is almost certainly the single most requested feature. It would definitely be a nice feature if it worked properly. However, the problems encountered are why I did not want them to attempt to implement it until they fix their s/w design, development and testing process.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:44 AM   #57
ejonesss

ok maybe make it one of them back door features or one of them button dance like thumbs down 3 times then enter then a b c and d and enter like code so they dont clutter up the interface if they are looking for a clean interface.

@mattack if you want it then you can leave it on if you want more tuners you can buy a second box there are even boxes on ebay.

with our somewhat disposable income we just buy another box and branch out our content.

do you know is this feature only on the 2 and maybe 4 tuner boxes so if i buy the 6 tuner plus or pro roamios would the feature not be there.

maybe a better idea is to have the box merge all consecutive shows into 1 long clip so if there are marathons you may have a 12 hour long recording.

or make the feature alacart or an add on like you have in your browser
Old 02-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #58
lpwcomp

As mattack pointed out, there is flat out no reason to disable this feature if it worked properly. They should either fix it or pull it.

I do not agree that
Quote:
It *effectively* GIVES YOU MORE TUNERS FOR FREE.
It simply uses the existing tuners more efficiently.

IMNSHO, the way they implemented this is a giant kludge.

Again IMNSHO, the proper way would have required a rewrite of the file system so that recording blocks could be linked to multiple recordings. Of course that would have only solved the "glitch" problem. The scheduler problems are a whole 'nother can of worms.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #59
Carlos_E

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
I had several recordings scheduled with start/end set to 1 minute extra at either end. Two of these (at least) were on the same channel (BBC America, Doctor Who specials), and I noticed both recordings have a brief glitch with video pausing and pixellating at just about exactly the 1 minute mark where the Roamio would have been cranking up (or finishing, depending on how you look at it) the next show on the same channel.

Is this merely a coincidence, or have others seen the same thing with overlapping recordings on the same channel?

I guess I should experiment with explicitly recording some stuff that will overlap and see if it happens every time.
I am getting the same error. Do you have the original HD installed in the Roamio or did you upgrade the drive.

I upgraded my drive so I thought the digital glitch in the recording could be caused by the WD hard drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen View Post
Does this only happen to people with Tuning Adapters, or is everyone affected?
I have a tuning adapter as well and I see the pixelation glitch.
Carlos_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #60
ejonesss

what about those with 4 and 6 tuner roamios?

are they getting the problems