TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #61
chrispitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
LOL, OP wants to create an infinite thread loop.
OMG, I'm losing it. This is what happens when you are the parent of a newborn. Sorry folks.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #62
moonscape

I'm in the (vast) minority, I know, perhaps a population of one, who prefers the S3 interface. I've only been with the Roamio a day, and am sure I'll get used to it and come to like some aspects, but I really preferred Now Playing taking up the whole screen and not cluttered with those programs on top (cannot imagine using that) and the PIP window. Sure, there were times I would have liked to make a quick change while watching a program and couldn't before, but something optional would've been nice. Also would prefer the Discovery Bar to be optional.

Missing the scrolling up/down through programs, not liking clutter I don't use and would be nice to choose which things to show.

Now, some of this is related to my preferring simpler/cleaner nterfaces in general, and some of it is that I have advancing vision issues that creates more challenges for me than the general population.

I do have a simple to stupid question that I'll likely figure out as soon as I hit send, but ...

With the old interface, hitting Tivo took me to Tivo Central and stopped the program I was watching. Is the method now just to pause indefinitely if one wants to stop watching a show, or is there something else that stops it besides starting another show?
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #63
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoh View Post
LOL, nice.

As best I can tell from squinting at Google Images pictures (lol), the Glo Premium doesn't have the bump, either. Does your remote have the ABCD buttons, or the 1/2 switch on it? If it has the 1/2 switch, it is a Glo. If it has the ABCD buttons, it is the Glo Premium. (Mine is a plain Glo, no premium).
Yeah, I guess its the Premium. I didnt realize there were two different Glo's!
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #64
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonscape View Post
I'm in the (vast) minority, I know, perhaps a population of one, who prefers the S3 interface. I've only been with the Roamio a day, and am sure I'll get used to it and come to like some aspects, but I really preferred Now Playing taking up the whole screen and not cluttered with those programs on top (cannot imagine using that) and the PIP window. Sure, there were times I would have liked to make a quick change while watching a program and couldn't before, but something optional would've been nice. Also would prefer the Discovery Bar to be optional.

Missing the scrolling up/down through programs, not liking clutter I don't use and would be nice to choose which things to show.

Now, some of this is related to my preferring simpler/cleaner nterfaces in general, and some of it is that I have advancing vision issues that creates more challenges for me than the general population.

I do have a simple to stupid question that I'll likely figure out as soon as I hit send, but ...

With the old interface, hitting Tivo took me to Tivo Central and stopped the program I was watching. Is the method now just to pause indefinitely if one wants to stop watching a show, or is there something else that stops it besides starting another show?
You can toggle the video preview window temporarily by hitting 'slow' on the remote, or turn it off permanently in the settings. Turning it off adds 2 more items to ignore up there.

You can just hit pause if you are in the menus and want to pause... if you were watching live tv, it will stay paused till the buffer maxes out and then suddenly start playing.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #65
chrispitude

Quote:

At the Tivo Central screen, you can press the Slow button to toggle the thumbnail video. (However, this just toggles the display - if you want to pause it, you must do that before toggling the video off.)
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #66
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
WHAT THE F*CK IS UP WITH MOVING THE DAMNED GUIDE BUTTON?! Who thought THAT was good idea?
Give it time.

At first, after 10+ years of the same Guide button location, I was the same way. But now, after a few months, I realize it's much better. When I pick up the remotes to the older TiVos, I realize how badly their guide buttons are located.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:38 PM   #67
ncfoster

Quote:
The Discovery Bar is fantastic for one thing...getting my kids to impatiently demand to watch something that hasn't even recorded yet. What's not to love!
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:23 AM   #68
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
Yeah, I guess its the Premium. I didnt realize there were two different Glo's!
There are four Premium Glo variants that I have had:

1. Original 4xAAA battery with soft buttons, 1-2 switch, and bump on 5 button.

2. Original (perhaps very rare, or only a few in existence) 4xAAA battery with soft buttons, 1-2 switch, colored ACBD buttons, and bump on 5 button.

3. First new revision with hard buttons, colored ABCD buttons, bump on 5 button, and ambient light sensor on the TOP (of the board, sensing through the top of the remote).

4. Second new revision with hard buttons, colored ABCD buttons, NO BUMP ON 5 BUTTON, and ambient light sensor on the BOTTOM (of the board, sensing through the same window the IR components emit through).

The last two are "luck of the draw", and can only be identified by using bright light to find if there is a light sensing spot next to the "TiVo" button, and the bump on the 5 button may also vary. TiVo didn't make any effort to make the two revisions otherwise easy to identify.

Also, I find the different ambient light sensing positions to be of negligible difference in some scenarios, while other scenarios making one or the other highly undesirable.

Depending on availability, you can sometimes order a different color (whole remote, just the top, or just the outline of the top bezel) when ordering from TiVo's website. The default was black, while all others seemed to be a "while in stock" option.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 02-16-2014 at 06:55 PM. Reason: updates and corrections
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #69
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

WHAT THE F*CK IS UP WITH MOVING THE DAMNED GUIDE BUTTON?! Who thought THAT was good idea?

The guide button is now in a more prominent and logical place than it was before. Although for me, since I like all my remotes to match, I needed to replace all my Slide remotes with Slide Pro remotes so the Guide button would be in the same location. Otherwise I would be pressing the wrong button. I have no issues now that the guide button is in the same place on all my TiVo remotes. The new location of the guide button is a much better place than previously.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #70
alarson83

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The guide button is now in a more prominent and logical place than it was before. Although for me, since I like all my remotes to match, I needed to replace all my Slide remotes with Slide Pro remotes so the Guide button would be in the same location. Otherwise I would be pressing the wrong button. I have no issues now that the guide button is in the same place on all my TiVo remotes. The new location of the guide button is a much better place than previously.
So you're the reason theyre sold out.

Id love to add a slide pro to my roamio since i used a slide on my premiere.

Any idea if the dongle that comes with the slide pro - premiere package could be used on a Mini so i could use my stock Roamio remote with my mini?
alarson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #71
shadoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
There are three Premium Glo variants that I have had:

1. Original 4xAAA battery with soft buttons, 1-2 switch, colored ACBD buttons, and bump on 5 button...
I don't think I completely agree with your list. I have the original 4xAAA style (ilke this one) which has the 1-2 switch, but no colored ABCD buttons. That was my earlier point, that I'm not aware of the existance of any TiVo-branded remotes that have both the 1-2 switch and the colored ABCD buttons. It seems to be one or the other, as far as I can tell from exhaustive Google searches.
shadoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:21 PM   #72
Rob_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarson83 View Post

Any idea if the dongle that comes with the slide pro - premiere package could be used on a Mini so i could use my stock Roamio remote with my mini?
I spoke with Tivo about that and they said it will work with the mini
Rob_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #73
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarson83 View Post

I use two of my Slide Pros with my two Minis using the USB Dongles.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #74
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I don't think I completely agree with your list. I have the original 4xAAA style (ilke this one) which has the 1-2 switch, but no colored ABCD buttons. That was my earlier point, that I'm not aware of the existance of any TiVo-branded remotes that have both the 1-2 switch and the colored ABCD buttons. It seems to be one or the other, as far as I can tell from exhaustive Google searches.
As I said in the first of the two posts where I made mention of it, I was looking right at it, and examining everything, including the box it came in (retail box).

It exists, I have it, and I'm once again holding it in my hands.

It likely had a VERY short production lifespan, and was quickly 86'd from production as soon as the design for the Premiere basic remote was born (and the death of the 1-2 switch occurred). How many were manufactured is unknown, how many were sold is unknown, and how many haven't been trash-binned, rather than kept as part of a "TiVo stuff museum", when they no longer function good enough for everyday use, is unknown.

It makes sense that to add the four buttons, they could keep the cost down by removing the switch. Not that I agree with the decision, just saying...

I will agree that I need to update my post to include the first-gen Glo w/switch, but w/o ABCD colored buttons, since I completely neglected that one, which is still available from 9th Tee, here: http://www.9thtee.com/tivoreplacementparts.htm

Full Disclosure:

1. It was sent to me as part of a "care package box" from days (many years ago) when I worked with TiVo, without actually being paid, or employed by, TiVo.

2. It may have been a prototype, or a "very limited production run" item. It's entirely possible I should not even have it. I'd figure that it coming with a retail box would be a sign it isn't some super-secret prototype that somebody accidentally gave me for helping TiVo out.

3. Some of the not-so-bright, NDA-bound, Beta and field-trial participants have been known to get one-run items (like a wireless mouse with a TiVo logo on it), then post on TCF about a "mystery gift", then speculate if it had anything to do with being a beta tester ('doh! - 1st rule of NDA club).
Old 02-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #75
shadoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
It exists, I have it, and I'm once again holding it in my hands.
Welp, can't argue with that. I'm thinking your assumption that it may have been a prototype or a limited run item is right, because I can't find any combination of Google searches to find one like that. I can find just about any other version of their remotes, past and present, but not that one. It really is baffling to me why they would remove the switch. I mean, at some point, they obviously realized it was a feature people liked/wanted, but it looks like they've decided we don't need it anymore since the last, what, four? versions of their remotes don't have it anymore. Sigh.
shadoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #76
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Welp, can't argue with that. I'm thinking your assumption that it may have been a prototype or a limited run item is right, because I can't find any combination of Google searches to find one like that. I can find just about any other version of their remotes, past and present, but not that one. It really is baffling to me why they would remove the switch. I mean, at some point, they obviously realized it was a feature people liked/wanted, but it looks like they've decided we don't need it anymore since the last, what, four? versions of their remotes don't have it anymore. Sigh.
Agreed, on all points.

I bet a few are wondering why we are talking about remotes, when the thread is about the "UI"...

When a device has a remote (as opposed to touchscreen devices and such), it is VERY MUCH a part of the "UI", and both parts can be equally important, even though many only pay attention to what's on the screen.

I'd still be yelling "I want the 1-2 switch back!", if TiVo hadn't switched to the dual RF & IR remote mechanisms.

Helpful hint on the new RF & IR remotes: Make sure to program BOTH the RF and IR codes on each remote (and each TiVo), or a fallback to IR mode (accident or fluke) could have one remote controlling everything and/or everything accepting all remotes (or some combination of undesired cross-control/operation).
Old 02-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #77
SnakeEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
OMG, I'm losing it. This is what happens when you are the parent of a newborn. Sorry folks.
Best part of having a kid is all the things you can blame on them.
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #78
SnakeEyes

I don't like not seeing duration when viewing "Upcoming" episodes, doesn't show it in the Upcoming list nor when you look at the program details. I frequently like to know how long things are going to last.
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #79
wtherrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
I don't like not seeing duration when viewing "Upcoming" episodes, doesn't show it in the Upcoming list nor when you look at the program details. I frequently like to know how long things are going to last.
Agree, drives me nuts.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #80
moonscape

Lots of things I don't use and would like to hide in 'My Shows' because they have nothing to do with My Shows - and if I wanted to use them in the future I could then select them.

Customizable menu would be awesome!
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #81
wtherrell

Thumbs down Problem with "UpComing Episodes"

Ok, since this is a Bitc**ing thread, here is the most annoying thing I have found so far. In selecting shows in "Upcoming episodes" list, if I select a show for recording, when I go back to the Upcoming list to select more shows it always dumps back to the beginning of the list. On my Premiere SD menu and all other Tivos I have had it would go back into the Upcoming list at the exact place you were in the list. It kept its place but the HDUI and the Roamio UI loses its place. Here's an example: Golf Central on the Golf Channel. I can't use a Season Pass because the Tivo can't distinguish whether the episodes are new or repeats so it records them all. (many, many times a day in some cases even if pass is set to New Only). So what I do (or did) is bring up the Upcoming Episodes list and use the Go-to-end-of-List (skip) button, select the last one to record, etc. then when I went back to the Upcoming Episodes list to select the next episode the SDUI would bring me back at exactly the place I left off. Very convenient. Now the HDUI always goes back to the top of the list instead.
Maddening. Bring on the strait-jacket folks, I'm about to lose it!(Where's the tongue in cheek emoticon?) Anyone know a fix?
Old 02-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #82
tatergator1

Assuming the new episode is on at the same time each day, you could go old school and setup a recurring manual recording for the time and channel.

I'm with you on losing your place in the upcoming list. The TiVo iPhone App behaves the same way and drives me crazy.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:08 PM   #83
wtherrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Assuming the new episode is on at the same time each day, you could go old school and setup a recurring manual recording for the time and channel.

I'm with you on losing your place in the upcoming list. The TiVo iPhone App behaves the same way and drives me crazy.
Thought of that, thanks. But not on at same time each day.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2014, 03:02 AM   #84
dvdvids

When going to 'Live TV' from My Shows or Guide, there is loss of sound for a second or 2 !!
dvdvids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:46 PM   #85
mrizzo80

The star ads embedded in folders and on the end-of-show popup are getting more irritating in my opinion. They are popping in slower and messing with navigating folder entries. I don't remember them affecting navigation to this extent, say, a few months ago.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:56 PM   #86
RichieR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
The "Zoom" button will always take the video in the preview window back to full screen, whether Live or recorded.
Thank you so much for that! I could not figure out how to get back to the recorded show I was watching, if I hit Tivo Central, other than drilling into my shows, then the folder, then the show and hitting play.
RichieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:22 AM   #87
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
The star ads embedded in folders and on the end-of-show popup are getting more irritating in my opinion. They are popping in slower and messing with navigating folder entries. I don't remember them affecting navigation to this extent, say, a few months ago.
I agree with this, have seen it on my Elite too - they are slowing down the UI because they don't appear quick enough. Likely due to Tivo's abysmal server infrastructure, again, and awful UI design choices that rely on server-based stuff for basic functionality.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:21 AM   #88
GTBill
HD XL, Roamio Pro

I installed our (or rather my) new Tivo Roamio Pro. As a result, I just put with a night of yelling and screaming by my wife how "new isn't always better." I think she complained (loudly) about nearly every irritant mentioned on this thread. She is right, though and if I had known about all of these changes and omissions I would have bought a new Tivo. It is ridiculous that nearly everything on the UI is does NOT have user customization. It is a shame that in this computer age so many things are not customizable.
GTBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:52 AM   #89
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
Edit: before I begin, let me say that the Roamio's UI is TiVo's best UI yet and I applaud their development effort for it. For me, it wouldn't take much to make it perfect for needs, and that's why I started this thread.

I'll start off.

1. In the Premiere's SD UI, when I had multiple episodes of a show, I was able to use "Channel Up" and "Channel Down" in the episode description page to move between them. I was able to quickly see all description information update (episode number, airing date, duration, etc.) as I moved through the shows.

The Roamio UI shows most of the information in the truncated summary on the right (which is clever design!), but not all of it. When I select a show to see the full description in the UI, I wish I could still use "Channel Up" and "Channel Down" to move between them.

2. Although the Roamio menus are impressively fast compared to the Premiere HD menus, there is still some lag before it completely renders all menu items. I noticed that if I move the selection cursor before the menu is finished rendering, it will force the cursor back to the original item when the menu render completes.

To see this, go to My Shows, then find a list of episodes for a show. Go to the detailed information page for the first show. If you press "left" to to back to the episode list and immediately press "up" or "down" to move to another show, the cursor will be forced back to the original show if you beat the menu.

Strangely, some shows redraw their menu very quickly and some do not.
The one thing I hate about the Premiere after their 20.3x rollout last Spring was the truncated program information from 5 lines down to 3 with an ellipses in the info bar while watching a recording. I've heard that the Roamio's don't have that problem. To be honest I'd replace all of my Premieres with Roamios for no other reason but that. I don't know how no one at TiVo has enough brain cells to fix that.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:45 AM   #90
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBill View Post
I installed our (or rather my) new Tivo Roamio Pro. As a result, I just put with a night of yelling and screaming by my wife how "new isn't always better." I think she complained (loudly) about nearly every irritant mentioned on this thread. She is right, though and if I had known about all of these changes and omissions I would have bought a new Tivo. It is ridiculous that nearly everything on the UI is does NOT have user customization. It is a shame that in this computer age so many things are not customizable.
The thing is, Tivo is an appliance. It is intentionally narrowly focused to make the masses able to use its functions. Power users, like many of us, may find that somewhat limiting.

Sounds like you would have benefited from setting this up in parallel with your old set up. What was your old model, something with the SD UI? Once you adapt, you'll find most things are very similar (i have one personal beef, but its minor).