TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
JimOConnor

Does TIVO work with Centurylink Prism TV?

I am considering switching from Cox to Centurylink. The only reason for this switch is that Centurylink offers fiber-driven gigabyte internet in Omaha.

If I move my phone, internet and cable to Centurylink the pricing becomes attractive.

Does anyone know if Tivo will work with Centurylink's Prism TV? The sales people claim that it does - I just want to make sure.

Thanks,

JimO.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
scole250

No Prism, like AT&T U-verse, is IPTV, a broadcast method not supported by Tivo. Maybe they'll include it in future Tivos someday.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
boba2z

Why isn't Centurylink required to provide Cablecards??? The TV broadcast arrives at my house through a cable doesn't it? How can they get away with not being a cable company?
boba2z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba2z View Post
Why isn't Centurylink required to provide Cablecards??? The TV broadcast arrives at my house through a cable doesn't it? How can they get away with not being a cable company?
The same way U-verse does. Doesn't really matter anyway. Even with a CableCARD, a TiVo still would not work with an IPTV service.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
Loach

OK, I'm in Omaha and I just activated a new Roamio Pro on Cox last Friday. When going through guided setup, the Tivo asked me who my cable provider was and gave me the following choices:

Cox Communications
CenturyLink Prism

Soooo if Tivo doesn't work with Prism, why would they show it as an option? Is Prism really an IPTV service or is it more like Fios?
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
OK, I'm in Omaha and I just activated a new Roamio Pro on Cox last Friday. When going through guided setup, the Tivo asked me who my cable provider was and gave me the following choices:

Cox Communications
CenturyLink Prism

Soooo if Tivo doesn't work with Prism, why would they show it as an option? Is Prism really an IPTV service or is it more like Fios?
For the same reason that U-verse is an option where it is available: a Series 2 TiVo would work if it is connected to and can control a CenturyLink Prism STB.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
For the same reason that U-verse is an option where it is available: a Series 2 TiVo would work if it is connected to and can control a CenturyLink Prism STB.
OK that makes sense. Seems odd it would appear in a Roamio Pro guided setup though, unless their guided setup protocol is just one size fits all across all generations. I wonder if it would have given me a "that won't work" message had I selected it (but I don't wonder enough to go back and re-run guided setup to find out )
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote