TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #31
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
I bet that Leno is a guest on Letterman within the next year. It will be a huge media event, obviously. But Dave has the ability to reconcile with Jay - at least to have him on his show.
You guys do remember the *Letterman* Super Bowl promo a few years ago with Leno & Oprah, right? It was very funny, because it was so surprising.

Also, on one of the Letteman episodes I've watched recently (from within the past year), a guest asked him and he DID say he had talked to Leno on the phone (IIRC) "within the past few months" of that interview.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:53 PM   #32
GoPackGo

Letterman almost never does interviews, but he was a guest on Alex Baldwin's podcast. He said that he's forgiven Leno and they're now friendly again.

I may be misremembering all that though.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #33
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Leno stopped doing stand up shows. Even during the height of the Tonight Show, Leno was doing 120-150 standup dates a year. He's a total workaholic. He does standup every weekend and almost every night when the show is dark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
^never

-smak-
Quote:
Where are you from and what do you do?
I'm not understanding the response, but if it was supposed to be a snarky comment, it wasn't merited. Smak was just trying to point out that it seems you meant to say "Leno *never* stopped doing stand up shows." You missed the word never.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:57 PM   #34
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I'm not understanding the response, but if it was supposed to be a snarky comment, it wasn't merited. Smak was just trying to point out that it seems you meant to say "Leno *never* stopped doing stand up shows." You missed the word never.
Sorry, inside joke. Smak and I (along with smeek and others) saw Leno together in Vegas a few years ago. Leno asked smak where he was from and what he did.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #35
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Ah.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #36
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
And over a decade after he left office, was still telling "Bill Clinton is horny" jokes.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:00 PM   #37
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

still can't let it go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:45 AM   #38
Thom

I've never cared for Fallon's show, even though I think he is very talented. For example, I think the various commercials Fallon has done to be very good and worth watching (I don't know who created the commercials; may not have been Fallon.) But I just don't find Fallon's show that interesting, even when he has a guest I am interested in. Something about his interview style, or his show's structure, I guess...

I record the various late night shows in case they have a guest I want to see. But only Ferguson's show holds much interest for me beyond the guests.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:53 AM   #39
Thom

Everyone should note that the new Tonight Show will require a new Season Pass. The old Season Pass for Leno's show will not record the new one.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:09 AM   #40
Doggie Bear

Let me admit upfront that a lot of my pop culture tastes are entirely conventional, and I'm also an aging Gen Xer so soon to be out of the age range that advertisers consider desirable....

I've long preferred Leno to Letterman or O'Brien (although I do find Triumph the Comic Insult Dog absolutely hilarious), perhaps precisely because of the broad, vanilla monologue. Yes, Bill Clinton has been out of office for 14 years, but I still find Clinton jokes kind of funny. You could play a video clip of that "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky" press conference, and I would spew whatever I was drinking over the keyboard. I was kind of disappointed
Spoiler:
that the last Leno show did not have a clip of the "Mambo No. 5" parody song (i.e. "a little bit of Monica"), or to date me further, the Dancing Itos.

On the bright side, I guess I can recapture about 30 minutes of my late night and go to bed earlier now.
Doggie Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:32 AM   #41
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Slate: I actually feel bad for Jay Leno

Interesting article. The author points out again and again how bad Leno is, with old, tired, and outdated jokes. But yet he feels bad for him.
I'm not particularly a fan of his.
I met him once briefly and he seemed a nice enough guy.

I've seen maybe a handful of his shows since he returned to the Tonight Show.
(Having the orchestra sting his punchlines annoyed me. enough not to watch much)

But I did tune into his last show just to see and by the end, I did feel sorry for him.

I mean, he may not be the best comedian around but he worked hard and he landed his dream job which he loved doing.

And from his bosses' point of view, he did the job very well (holding the #1 spot for all those years) and he was a model employee.

His reward was to have his dream job taken away from him twice while his job performance was still good.

And to be unrealistically vilified for his bosses' half baked ideas.
(From everything I've read and seen, I see no reason to think that he screwed over Conan O'Brien.)

Realistically, I don't think he could have maintained his lead for too much longer. I suspect that he had maybe a year or two at maintaining his lead and I think he believes that as well.
It would have been nice if NBC allowed him to leave on his own terms though as a reward of all his loyalty and good work over the years.

Although he basically admitted in the 60 Minutes interview that he know that he was going to get screwed.

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainm...crewed-2014271

Quote:
"I always tell new people in show business, I say, 'Look, show business pays you a lot of money, because eventually you're gonna get screwed,'" he explained. "'And when you get screwed, you will have this pile of money off to the side already."

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #42
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Dave was kind of classy.
Letterman

Old 02-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #43
argicida

Quote:
Dave was kind of classy.

He as pretty classy to Jay - but maybe a little negative toward "Little Jimmy"
argicida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #44
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by argicida View Post
He as pretty classy to Jay - but maybe a little negative toward "Little Jimmy"
That's just his sense of humor. They were all together - Kimmel, Fallon, Letterman, and Seth Myers, this past weekend at Howard Stern's Birthday show.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #45
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Everyone should note that the new Tonight Show will require a new Season Pass. The old Season Pass for Leno's show will not record the new one.
Rest assured I will not need to acquire a new season pass. Once Letterman retires, so will my late nite recording.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:47 PM   #46
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
Rest assured I will not need to acquire a new season pass. Once Letterman retires, so will my late nite recording.
For myself, I will need a new season pass, but I don't need to delete any existing pass.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #47
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
I don't need to delete any existing pass.
Neither will I when Fallon tanks.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #48
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Fallon will lose some viewers due to their age (and his) - that's a generational thing. I'm sure Jay lost a bunch of Johnny's viewers too.

The real question is whether Fallon will gain at least as many viewers as he'll lose. There seems to be two camps:

1) People who think he's a giggly fawner over his guests
2) People who think those attributes make him more like the audience, and they identify with him because of it.

But there's no denying that he's a very talented guy (particularly musically and impressions, talents which no previous host had). Personally, I'm looking forward to his run on Tonight.

One thing though - I've never considered the Roots that great of a band. They're ok.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #49
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
But there's no denying that he's a very talented guy (particularly musically and impressions, talents which no previous host had).
Agree.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:51 PM   #50
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
But there's no denying that he's a very talented guy (particularly musically and impressions, talents which no previous host had).
Not that he uses it a lot, but Conan's got some musical talent also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #51
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I know he taught himself the guitar... doesn't he dabble in playing the drums as well?

Edit: yup!
Conan Playing Drums:
Conan Playing Drums

Conan on Guitar:
Conan on Guitar

Last edited by LoadStar : 02-09-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #52
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
And to be unrealistically vilified for his bosses' half baked ideas.
(From everything I've read and seen, I see no reason to think that he screwed over Conan O'Brien.)
Totally agree with this. Leno got screwed over by the NBC execs when they tried to force him out and replace him with Conan, and then both Conan and Leno got screwed by those same execs when the execs decided to boot Conan and put Leno back in there. Some will say that Leno shouldn't have agreed to take the job back, but he never wanted to give it up in the first place, so he had no reason to sit on the sidelines just to make a point.

It will be interesting to see if Leno's standup act gets more contemporary since he won't be telling the most topical stuff to a few million people a night on TV.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #53
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
He shouldn't have taken the 10PM spot. He should have said Eff You and gone to Fox or ABC and to compete directly.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #54
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
He shouldn't have taken the 10PM spot. He should have said Eff You and gone to Fox or ABC and to compete directly.
Or just been gracious and retired from TV, after they'd paid him, what, $230 million over the years? Not to mention, he'd had five years to get used to the idea, and a total run of seventeen years in the job the first time. We should all be so screwed.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #55
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

So both NBC shows will be in NYC as well as Letterman? Seems like there will be a lot of competition for guests.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:39 PM   #56
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
True. I honestly wasn't thinking of Conan as a former Tonight Show host when I said that. His tenure was too short to be of note (for me).
Old 02-09-2014, 11:53 PM   #57
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
So both NBC shows will be in NYC as well as Letterman? Seems like there will be a lot of competition for guests.
Yup, which will be nice for Kimmel and Conan who remain on the west coast.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:33 AM   #58
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Maybe not but he still wanted to work. NBC backed up the Brinks truck to him and guaranteed him two years plus he didn't have to even move studios.
It was a great deal for him.
Even though I have always stated that putting him on 5 nights a week at 10 PM was a suck idea for NBC, I don't blame him for taking the deal.

Quote:
Or just been gracious and retired from TV, after they'd paid him, what, $230 million over the years? Not to mention, he'd had five years to get used to the idea, and a total run of seventeen years in the job the first time. We should all be so screwed.
But he didn't want to retire.
Why should he have to if he's still capable of doing the job and someone wants to pay him money to do so?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #59
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
One thing about Leno, he'll die on stage. He'll work until he can't anymore. If it gets to the point where no one is willing to pay up to do standup, he'll do it for free.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #60
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
As he said in his final show the other night, he's worked at NBC for 20 years. He considers those people family. He doesn't know anyone at the other networks. Asking him to leave NBC and go work for another network was basically like asking him to abandon his family and go start a new one. That just wasn't in him.

And then when NBC offered him the option of basically continuing what he wanted to do all along, with more pay and in a more prominent timeslot, it was kind of a no-brainer at that point. With hindsight, we all know it wasn't a good move. But at the time, how could he have said no to that offer? Do you really believe it was so clear cut that the 10 pm show would be a failure that he should have known that up front?