TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
dpberry

Tivo HD 652160 spontaneous reboots

My Tivo 652160 reboots on its own maybe every 4-5 hours (maybe more, maybe less because I do not have the TV on all day). Everything will be fine and then it abruptly goes to a black screen for 1-2 seconds and then reboots going through the entire boot sequence. Once finished, I can watch TV until its next recycle.

Occasionally (maybe once a week), the screen will be frozen when I first turn the TV on. The Tivo will be unresponsive to the remote control but it will reboot just fine if I unplug the power cord and then plug it back in.

Upon reading posts here, I first replaced the hard drive and no change. Then I noticed that one of the caps had a domed top so I replaced it. No change. So next I have replaced all 9 caps located near the heat sinks. No change.

I have run the Western Digital Diagnostics on the hard drive(s) in both Quick and Extended modes and both show no errors.

Can someone offer some advice on what I should look for next? This is an HD model with a lifetime sub and I would like to save it.

Last edited by dpberry : 01-14-2014 at 01:15 PM.
dpberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
keithg1964

Dumb question, but is the fan working?
keithg1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
dpberry

yes... the fan is working and seems to be a normal quiet
Old 01-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
keithg1964

I would contact TIVO to see if their logs say why it is rebooting.
keithg1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
dpberry

Tivo support no help. They suggested that I not use a power strip but now that has proven not to be the answer as well.

I can also add that he Tivo will reboot while watching both OTA antenna or prerecorded programs.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
dpberry

I just put a volt meter onto where the power supply plugs onto the motherboard. It seems like all the readings are double what they should be. Red=10.0 volts. Yellow=25.8 volts. Orange=6.6 volts. Am I doing something wrong? I am grounding to the chassis with the black probe and probing into the top of the plug where it attaches to the motherboard.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpberry View Post
I just put a volt meter onto where the power supply plugs onto the motherboard. It seems like all the readings are double what they should be. Red=10.0 volts. Yellow=25.8 volts. Orange=6.6 volts. Am I doing something wrong? I am grounding to the chassis with the black probe and probing into the top of the plug where it attaches to the motherboard.
Is your voltmeter set for AC, when it should be set for DC?

Is it a digital readout meter?

I've never seen readings that were exactly double what they should be, unless you count reading from the wrong scale on the old analog moving needle kind of meter.

But if we divide your readings by 2, then the 3.3 and the 5 Volt lines are "perfecter" than I would have ever expected, but the 12 V line appears to actually be running a bit high (25.8/2 = 12.9)

Are these readings with the hard drive attached as well as the motherboard?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
dpberry

Everything (including hard drive and motherboard) is connected when I test the voltage. However, I was using AC and not DC. It is a digital readout voltmeter. So the following readings are with it set to DC.

When I first power it on and test, the RED=4.8 volts, YELLOW=11.8 volts, ORANGE=3.3 volts.

About 15 minutes later the readings are RED=4.9 volts, YELLOW=12.0-12.1 volts, ORANGE=3.3 volts.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Everything (including hard drive and motherboard) is connected when I test the voltage. However, I was using AC and not DC. It is a digital readout voltmeter. So the following readings are with it set to DC.

When I first power it on and test, the RED=4.8 volts, YELLOW=11.8 volts, ORANGE=3.3 volts.

About 15 minutes later the readings are RED=4.9 volts, YELLOW=12.0-12.1 volts, ORANGE=3.3 volts.
Test it with the hard drive disconnected, and if the readings are pretty close to those you just got, then the power supply is probably okay.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:06 PM   #10
dpberry

Well the readings with the hard drive disconnected are pretty close:
RED=4.8 volts, YELLOW=12.2 volts, ORANGE=3.3 volts
Old 01-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Well the readings with the hard drive disconnected are pretty close:
RED=4.8 volts, YELLOW=12.2 volts, ORANGE=3.3 volts
Unless there's some AC ripple sneaking through on those DC lines, I'd say the problem isn't the power supply.

Which leaves us I don't know where, but the idea of getting TiVo to check the logs sounds like a logical step.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #12
dpberry

I do appreciate the help here... thanks. But I am not sure what getting Tivo to check the logs means or what I need to do. I am learning about this as we go.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:14 PM   #13
jmbach

Did you use the image from your original drive when you replaced the hard drive? If you did you might try another image and see if you get the same problem.
If you have a CableCARD, remove it and see if the problem persists. If there is a tuning adapter, remove it as well. Sometimes the contacts on the Cable Cards or the receiver get a little oxidation over time and causes some issues.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2014, 05:18 PM   #14
dpberry

Just downloaded a 652160 image. Removed my 160 GB drive. Ran WD Diagnostics and zeroed out the drive. Then restored it with the downloaded image. Re-installed and currently testing it.

I am using antenna only and there are no cable cards or tuner adapter.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #15
dpberry

Unfortunately, using a new image did not fix the issue either.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #16
jmbach

What procedure did you use to restore the image.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #17
dpberry

After writing the image as described in #14 above, I plugged in the Tivo. It went thru one entire boot sequence for a new user. Then after entering some new updated information, it went through another boot sequence. This seemed normal as I recalled my first time booting a Tivo unit. Finally, I went to Tivo Settings and selected to delete all and the unit went through the final reboot sequence which married my motherboard to the drive. Everything seems normal except for that occasional spontaneous reboot that I originally started with.

To review, I cannot really determine the time between these reboots, but it does take a while. I have yet to notice 2 in any one sitting. Some evenings, it might not even experience one.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #18
jmbach

Intermittent errors like this are tough. Did you replace the drive with a new drive or a drive you repurposed. Might try a new drive if you didn't. Replace all the caps in the power supply. If those two things don't fix it. Then it is most probably the motherboard. Then it is a call to TiVo to see if they are willing to give you a good deal on a repair or replacement.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #19
kucharsk

Try a new drive.

I was having reboots, pauses and some pixelation.

Running the TiVo kickstart long drive test found no issues, but the drive died last week.
kucharsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #20
unitron

Quote:
After writing the image as described in #14 above, I plugged in the Tivo. It went thru one entire boot sequence for a new user. Then after entering some new updated information, it went through another boot sequence. This seemed normal as I recalled my first time booting a Tivo unit. Finally, I went to Tivo Settings and selected to delete all and the unit went through the final reboot sequence which married my motherboard to the drive. Everything seems normal except for that occasional spontaneous reboot that I originally started with.

To review, I cannot really determine the time between these reboots, but it does take a while. I have yet to notice 2 in any one sitting. Some evenings, it might not even experience one.
I apologize for not having thought to bring this up earlier.

You do have that TiVo plugged into a UPS, don't you?

Old 02-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #21
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Try a new drive.

I was having reboots, pauses and some pixelation.

Running the TiVo kickstart long drive test found no issues, but the drive died last week.
If you're going to test a TiVo drive at all, pull it, hook it to a PC, and run the drive manufacturer's own diagnostic software long test.

Which is also what you should do with a new drive before putting it into service.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #22
dpberry

I am not using a UPS.

The first thing I did was to substitute a WD20EURS but it did the same. I did not check it ahead of time but I did after I was still getting the same problem. It did pass the short test but failed the extended test with error code 0225. I checked it with the DOS program on the UBCD. Then I checked the 160 and since it passed both Quick and Extended, I decided to use it again.

When WD sent me the replacement WD20EURS, I decided to check it first. The DOS diagnostics program said it had no test tracks - error 0229. So I sent it back and got another replacement. Tried to test it... same result. Called WD and asked them to personally check the next replacement as the rep could not offer any advice. When I got it, I tested it and it came with the same error code - no test tracks. Recently, I have been able to test my 160 and another WD 500gb with no problems. So I checked their website and found that there is a Windows version. I downloaded it and thought I'd try it. When I ran the test with the Windows version, it passed both Quick and Extended. Not sure why this is an issue but the Windows version works for me on the WD20EURS.

Now I have a used 652160 unit on the way (should arrive tomorrow) and hope to be able to switch the power supply in it with mine and see if that makes the difference.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #23
unitron

Quote:
I am not using a UPS.

The first thing I did was to substitute a WD20EURS but it did the same. I did not check it ahead of time but I did after I was still getting the same problem. It did pass the short test but failed the extended test with error code 0225. I checked it with the DOS program on the UBCD. Then I checked the 160 and since it passed both Quick and Extended, I decided to use it again.

When WD sent me the replacement WD20EURS, I decided to check it first. The DOS diagnostics program said it had no test tracks - error 0229. So I sent it back and got another replacement. Tried to test it... same result. Called WD and asked them to personally check the next replacement as the rep could not offer any advice. When I got it, I tested it and it came with the same error code - no test tracks. Recently, I have been able to test my 160 and another WD 500gb with no problems. So I checked their website and found that there is a Windows version. I downloaded it and thought I'd try it. When I ran the test with the Windows version, it passed both Quick and Extended. Not sure why this is an issue but the Windows version works for me on the WD20EURS.

Now I have a used 652160 unit on the way (should arrive tomorrow) and hope to be able to switch the power supply in it with mine and see if that makes the difference.
Not every interruption in the electricity coming into your home is long enough for you to see the lights blink, but that doesn't mean they don't happen.

You should have stuff like TiVos and computers on UPSes.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #24
dpberry

First, thanks to all who replied to my problem. I have replaced the hard drive - no change. I have replaced the caps in the power supply - no change. I have replaced the power supply - no change. I have run WD Diagnostics on both hard drives and both check OK. I have replaced the fan - no change. Unfortunately, I believe that my problem lies somewhere in the motherboard, which basically tells me to end this thread. I really appreciate the suggestions - I have learned a lot about my Tivo's. Thanks again.