TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #31
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Pretty good episode. Why would she want to date insufferable Ted though?
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #32
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Heh, I think a question like that was playing around in my subconscious as I watched the ep.

Alan Sepinwall and Dan Fienberg briefly discussed the episode on the latest Firewall & Iceberg podcast. Fienberg was generally moderate on the episode (though he acknowledged that it is the best of a weak lot so far this season). He said one of his issues with it is that it set up the idea that the mother was with this perfect guy who did everything right, and now she's going to end up with Ted, "who's such a putz".

I had to chuckle -- that's basically right.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #33
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Maybe in a surprise twist, she will end up with Marshall and Ted will marry Lily. That pairing makes more sense!
Old 01-29-2014, 01:07 PM   #34
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

I have been skimming episodes all season. I keep wondering why Marshall is way from the rest of the cast on the road trip all season. I guess I know why he is doing the road trip in the show but not why in real life.

I am thinking he is on a movie set the road trip plot allows him to do his scenes off site on his own time.

Also... I missed a most episodes of the middle seasons and don't remember Lily as being so angry all the time. Maybe as she aged her angry scenes aren't cute anymore.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:53 PM   #35
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
There were a few times she actually channelled Ted.

Anyway, never got the dump on Ted vibe that goes on here. He's okay.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #36
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
There were a few times she actually channelled Ted.

Anyway, never got the dump on Ted vibe that goes on here. He's okay.
They haven't wrecked Ted as much as some other characters, in my view. Unfortunately, there have been times in the last few seasons where they've really played up how insufferable he can be (prissiness, faux intellectualism, etc.), and that has diminished the character and made it harder to root for him. Who would want to be with a cartoon like that? Fortunately, Ted's underlying goodness is more or less still there, and they can put him in sincere situations where it still comes out. (I compare this to, say, the Ross character on Friends, who the show so thoroughly ruined that when it put him back together with Rachel at the end -- an inevitable outcome -- it felt like the wrong thing to do. How could Rachel want to be with this Ross?)

They've turned Ted into a bit of a putz, yes, but he's still basically a good guy. Perhaps the issue actually arises from the other side: the mother, appealing as she is, may be too much a paragon to feel suited for anyone who isn't also one. And Ted never was that.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #37
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
They haven't wrecked Ted as much as some other characters, in my view. Unfortunately, there have been times in the last few seasons where they've really played up how insufferable he can be (prissiness, faux intellectualism, etc.), and that has diminished the character and made it harder to root for him. Who would want to be with a cartoon like that? Fortunately, Ted's underlying goodness is more or less still there, and they can put him in sincere situations where it still comes out. (I compare this to, say, the Ross character on Friends, who the show so thoroughly ruined that when it put him back together with Rachel at the end -- an inevitable outcome -- it felt like the wrong thing to do. How could Rachel want to be with this Ross?)

They've turned Ted into a bit of a putz, yes, but he's still basically a good guy. Perhaps the issue actually arises from the other side: the mother, appealing as she is, may be too much a paragon to feel suited for anyone who isn't also one. And Ted never was that.
Very well said and the comparison to Ross on Friends is spot on. Still, I think I'd rather spend time with Ted than Ross. I always kind of liked Ted at the beginning and I don't remember him being so pretentious the first couple of seasons. As what happens with a lot of these shows, the writers start playing up one particular trait of a character and that defines him. The Ted that narrates the show seems VERY different than the Ted that we've seen over the last few years. I like narrator Ted.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:00 PM   #38
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Very well said and the comparison to Ross on Friends is spot on. Still, I think I'd rather spend time with Ted than Ross. I always kind of liked Ted at the beginning and I don't remember him being so pretentious the first couple of seasons. As what happens with a lot of these shows, the writers start playing up one particular trait of a character and that defines him. The Ted that narrates the show seems VERY different than the Ted that we've seen over the last few years. I like narrator Ted.
This probably infects all the lovable losers in shows eventually: another one being Leonard - BBT, probably because we the audience who have some loser in all of us can't believe the opportunities the shows put in front of the characters that we don't experience in life and thus the continued same character flaws seemed forced. 'You dissed that hot girl AGAIN!'
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #39
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
They haven't wrecked Ted as much as some other characters, in my view. Unfortunately, there have been times in the last few seasons where they've really played up how insufferable he can be (prissiness, faux intellectualism, etc.), and that has diminished the character and made it harder to root for him. Who would want to be with a cartoon like that? Fortunately, Ted's underlying goodness is more or less still there, and they can put him in sincere situations where it still comes out. (I compare this to, say, the Ross character on Friends, who the show so thoroughly ruined that when it put him back together with Rachel at the end -- an inevitable outcome -- it felt like the wrong thing to do. How could Rachel want to be with this Ross?) They've turned Ted into a bit of a putz, yes, but he's still basically a good guy. Perhaps the issue actually arises from the other side: the mother, appealing as she is, may be too much a paragon to feel suited for anyone who isn't also one. And Ted never was that.
Thanks for trying. I still don't see it. Just seems like a normal person to me.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:58 PM   #40
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I definitely think Ted's been portrayed as a pretentious d-bag for much of the last several seasons, but I can still see the earnest, lovable guy from the first few seasons in there and hopefully he'll come out a bit more in these last handful of episodes.

This episode was great. As most of the rest of you, I wish they would have stretched this over multiple episodes rather than cramming it into one.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:38 AM   #41
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dancing View Post

Also... I missed a most episodes of the middle seasons and don't remember Lily as being so angry all the time. Maybe as she aged her angry scenes aren't cute anymore.
She's been married for a few years now and has a kid. Her constant anger seems normal to me!
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:11 PM   #42
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Is the mother doing any pilots for next season? I really really really enjoy her. I remember she did an episode of 30 Rock and she was great in that too.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:41 AM   #43
alpacaboy

Another "me too" - this episode was realllly good.
I liked the mother. The last scene was sweet but sad.
Gosh, I hope she finds someone.
alpacaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #44
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Thanks for trying. I still don't see it. Just seems like a normal person to me.
Sounds like you need friends with better lives.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #45
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Soze View Post
Sounds like you need friends with better lives.
Not at all.

In fact, I'd bet that "Ted is a ******" is primarily focused on this forum that creates its own reality, especially about this show.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:54 PM   #46
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Not at all. In fact, I'd bet that "Ted is a ******" is primarily focused on this forum that creates its own reality, especially about this show.
Bzzzzt. Wrong. I've read that sentiment from many TV critics. Just do a google search for "Ted Mosby ******" or "Ted Mosby dbag" or "Ted Mosby jerk" and you'll see all kinds of people, all across the internet, sharing that opinion.

At the beginning of the series, Ted was earnest and idealistic and he was easy to root for. As the show has progressed, we've come to realize that Ted is quirky and extremely particular and selfish and it's now very easy to see why his friends have found soul mates while he's remained single.

Last edited by DevdogAZ : 02-09-2014 at 01:00 PM.
DevdogAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #47
alpacaboy

Okay, as long as this thread got bumped anyway...
I thought, could this episode really be as great as I remembered it being? So last night, I watched it again, and wow, it really does stand out as great. And this time through, the death of Max scene at the beginning was even more heartbreaking, knowing how deeply it affected her.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #48
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Bzzzzt. Wrong. I've read that sentiment from many TV critics. Just do a google search for "Ted Mosby ******" or "Ted Mosby dbag" or "Ted Mosby jerk" and you'll see all kinds of people, all across the internet, sharing that opinion. At the beginning of the series, Ted was earnest and idealistic and he was easy to root for. As the show has progressed, we've come to realize that Ted is quirky and extremely particular and selfish and it's now very easy to see why his friends have found soul mates while he's remained single.
Whoopee. You can find anything on the Internet. That makes it right. Not gonna buy it. He fits into the realm of normal.

Selfish???? Really? Barney has been sooooo giving this entire time. There is a true ****** until they softened him recently. Oh, I get it. Ted isn't FUNNY like barney, so he's a ******.

Calling a normal guy a ****** says more about those who call him one than about him.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #49
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Whoopee. You can find anything on the Internet. That makes it right. Not gonna buy it. He fits into the realm of normal.

Selfish???? Really? Barney has been sooooo giving this entire time. There is a true ****** until they softened him recently. Oh, I get it. Ted isn't FUNNY like barney, so he's a ******.

Calling a normal guy a ****** says more about those who call him one than about him.
Just marry the guy already
Old 02-09-2014, 11:18 PM   #50
alpacaboy

Quote:
Selfish???? Really? Barney...
No. "Shellfish."

Old 02-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #51
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:

I've heard it from friends and family who have never heard of this thread. I think there's a lot of thought toward this sentiment all over. DevdogAZ nailed it. The Ted we see now is not the same Ted we see the first couple of seasons. Nor is it Ted the narrator. But this is normal for pretty much ANY TV sitcom. They find a couple of key characteristics and emphasize it until it defines the character. I don't find Ted nearly as annoying as many here. I think he's still likable for the most part and I'm still rooting for him, but to not see his pretentious characteristics it kind of watching with blinders on.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #52
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Barney is not the protagonist of the show. If he were, it would be a different show. The show is ostensibly about how Ted meets the love of his life. At times, the show makes it difficult to root for Ted.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #53
smak
TV MA SLV

Ted is something, I just don't think jerk or dbag is the correct term.

Pretentious is the most fitting word I think, but they emphasized it more in the middle of the show's run versus now.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #54
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
Ted is something, I just don't think jerk or dbag is the correct term.

Pretentious is the most fitting word I think, but they emphasized it more in the middle of the show's run versus now.

-smak-
The term "pretentious ******" comes to my mind when thinking about more recent Ted.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #55
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Not at all.

In fact, I'd bet that "Ted is a ******" is primarily focused on this forum that creates its own reality, especially about this show.
Clearly I am not as clever/cute/funny as I like to think I am.

I was making a reference to the new show coming on CBS after HIMYM .
Old 02-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #56
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Soze View Post
Clearly I am not as clever/cute/funny as I like to think I am.

I was making a reference to the new show coming on CBS after HIMYM .
I got it when I read it
Old 02-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #57
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Is the mother doing any pilots for next season? I really really really enjoy her. I remember she did an episode of 30 Rock and she was great in that too.
She's joining NBC's "A to Z," featuring Rashida Jones and Will McCormack: http://tvline.com/2014/02/12/a-to-z-...y-series-cast/
Old 02-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #58
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy View Post
She's joining NBC's "A to Z," featuring Rashida Jones and Will McCormack: http://tvline.com/2014/02/12/a-to-z-...y-series-cast/
Sounds like a great cast! Too bad it's on NBC.