TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
tarheelblue32

I really REALLY hate Time Warner Cable

I just need to vent a moment. So yesterday, I go down to the TW office to return my last cable box since I now have TiVo and don't need a cable box. After waiting in line for over an hour, I finally get to return my equipment and the cute little TW girl convinces me to get digital phone because it will reduce my bill by $15/month for 12 months. She says they just need to come out and "do something to the line" tomorrow (today) to get the digital phone working. She says they won't even have to come in.

So anyway, they apparently come out this morning and these assclowns apparently don't know what the hell they are doing. I don't know what they did to my line, but whatever they did completely screws up my TV signals. Only about 20% of the digital channels are coming through now and the TV I still have hooked up to the analog cable gets nothing but snowy, blurry channels.

On the bright side, the internets still seem to work, so I can stream the channels over the internet through the TW app, but still it's f-ing annoying. On top of that, when I call and tell them they need to come back out to undo whatever it is they did to the line to get the digital phone working, they say they can't come out until Tuesday. TUESDAY! They can come out the very next day (on a Saturday) at the crack of dawn to hook up a digital phone, but can't come out for 3 f-ing days to undo whatever it is they screwed up. UGH!!!

So I tell them that isn't acceptable and have them transfer me to a supervisor. He says he has no idea what they would even need to do to the line to get it to work, as all I should have had to do is plug in their stupid telephone modem. He says he can request they return today (though it's only a request), but apparently they haven't even closed out the stupid work order (and I'm guessing probably won't until the work day is done) and that he can't even request a return trip until the work order is closed out. FML

Part of me thinks they are messing with me because I switched to TiVo and refuse to use their crappy cable boxes, but then I realize, it's just Time Warner and they are just incompetent. If only the Roamio Plus had an OTA tuner, at least I'd be able to distribute broadcast channels to the TVs hooked up to my Minis.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 02-08-2014 at 12:30 PM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah I don't know what they could have possibly had to do to to the line to get the phone to work. Those phones just use VOIP, which means they use the internet, so there is nothing that needs to be done to the line to make them work they just have to hook up their special modem and that's it.

How handy are you? Go look at the box on the side of your house and see if they installed a trap if some sort. If they did remove it! Also were you using any sort of amplifier? They might have removed it if you were. I had one which I bought that I installed over at my Sister's house. Those clowns came out to fix something they had broke in their own box at the street but they removed the amp, breaking it in the process, and just threw it on the ground.

Cable installers are hacks! The ones that are actually any good usually get promoted quickly and become supervisors that only show up when something is seriously wrong.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #3
tarheelblue32

Okay so the customer service supervisor got in touch with the field tech supervisor and the tech supervisor called me. He said that the work order was poorly written and confusing (surprise, surprise since it was written by a TWC customer service rep).

Since the tech that came out couldn't figure out from the work order what he was actually supposed to do, apparently the tech just took a guess. He saw on my account that I returned my cable box and had no other boxes on my account (I guess he just ignored the cablecard) and so he assumed I had cancelled my TV service so he put a trap on the line!

The guy I spoke with said he would send someone else out today to take the trap off for me. He also said he had no idea why an order for someone to come out was even written, as it wasn't needed at all to get a digital phone working. I think the reason was probably because there was a 1-time $20 activation fee for this stupid digital phone thing and they have to justify that fee somehow by sending someone out to do something, and this is the result.

I did go out to the side of my house to see if they changed anything (installing something or removing the amp) and they did not, so I assume they installed the trap out at the locked utility box at the street that I can't (legally) get into, so I'll just have to wait and hope the guy comes back today like he said he would.

It is kind of funny to me that there is a trap on the line and yet I am still able to get some digital channels (even some SDV channels). I guess most people with a trap on their line don't have a tuning adapter and a cablecard to decrypt digital channels, but there are a few local broadcast channels that are clearQAM that are coming through also. I guess someone could subscribe to internet only and still manage to get those channels too, assuming they get a cheap trap installed that doesn't totally work like I got....lucky me.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 02-08-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Morons! So they have a poorly written work order and their default assumption is that you canceled service. And this is just as much the fault of the "cute little TW girl" who didn't know WTF she was talking about. Seriously this stuff is not that complex why can't they train their people better to understand what they are actually selling?
Old 02-08-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Morons! So they have a poorly written work order and their default assumption is that you canceled service. And this is just as much the fault of the "cute little TW girl" who didn't know WTF she was talking about. Seriously this stuff is not that complex why can't they train their people better to understand what they are actually selling?
The incompetence is truly staggering. I've never worked in the cable industry, but I often feel like I know more about this stuff than most of TW's customer service reps do. Some of the TW reps I've talked to over the past few months claim they have never even heard of a CableCard before. I feel like that is a very basic thing that every TW employee should have at least heard or read about even if they haven't been specifically trained on it by TW.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
tarheelblue32

And the TW tech came back out about 30 minutes ago and removed the trap, and now everything is working again. I guess I should be grateful that they agreed to come back out today to fix their own screw up rather than making me wait until Tuesday to get it fixed.

I actually had a sinking feeling yesterday that when the cute TW girl told me they had to "come out and do something to the line" that something was going to go wrong, but I ignored that feeling for the promise of a cheaper cable bill.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Any time they have to come out, or get involved at all, I always assume something is going to go wrong. Last night I had to move a CableCARD from a Premiere to a new Roamio and I was dreading that they were going to screw something up. I was astonished when they didn't.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #8
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Any time they have to come out, or get involved at all, I always assume something is going to go wrong. Last night I had to move a CableCARD from a Premiere to a new Roamio and I was dreading that they were going to screw something up. I was astonished when they didn't.
The irony of all this is that I'm not even going to bother hooking up the digital phone at all. After the 12 months of discounted service is up, the digital phone service is getting cancelled.

I already have a VoIP home phone I hooked up myself about 2 years ago that costs me $0/month. I really have no idea why people pay TWC $49.95/month for a digital phone when you can buy a $40 VoIP adapter and get free (or almost free) home phone service through your internet connection....though now that net neutrality is dead I might mysteriously begin to have problems with it.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 02-08-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
though now that net neutrality is dead I might mysteriously begin to have problems with it.
I worry about that too. I have an Ooma and wonder if Charter is going to start messing with it to entice me to move to their phone. If they do that then what I'll really do is just throw the Ooma in the trash (it's paid for itself 10 times over) and just use my cell phone for calls instead. There is no way I'm paying them $30/mo for a phone. Same applies if they start screwing with Netflix or VUDU. I'm not going to start using their services instead I'll just download from Amazon or iTunes. I'm never going to reward them for dick behavior.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #10
GriffithStrife

Quote:
I worry about that too. I have an Ooma and wonder if Charter is going to start messing with it to entice me to move to their phone. If they do that then what I'll really do is just throw the Ooma in the trash (it's paid for itself 10 times over) and just use my cell phone for calls instead. There is no way I'm paying them $30/mo for a phone. Same applies if they start screwing with Netflix or VUDU. I'm not going to start using their services instead I'll just download from Amazon or iTunes. I'm never going to reward them for dick behavior.
Why do people keep saying net neutrality is dead. Afaik its alive.
GriffithStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:36 PM   #11
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffithStrife View Post
Why do people keep saying net neutrality is dead. Afaik its alive.
From what I understand, ISPs are now pretty much just on the honor system. We are just supposed to trust them that they will not attempt to increase their profits by violating the spirit of net neutrality in any way. In my experience, ISPs are not to be trusted as they will take advantage of every opportunity to maximize their profits at the expense of their customers.

Let's face it, most ISPs are monopolies (or duopolies) and they behave as such. I would much rather have a competitive market for fixed-line internet services in this country (like seems to have begun to emerge in places where Google Fiber is rolling out), but since most of us in this country apparently will never have that, then I'd much prefer a well-regulated monopoly to an unregulated monopoly. An unregulated monopoly (or duopoly) is the worst possible situation to have, and that is essentially what we now have in most places in this country today.

And for anyone who wants to sign the White House petition on this issue, here's a link:
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...riers/5CWS1M4P

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 02-08-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:56 AM   #12
Johncv

You all do realize that billionaire John Malone, who commands Liberty Global, the largest cable company in the world, is pushing Charter Communications Inc., now the fourth largest, to buy Time Warner Cable Inc., the second largest. And it now looks as if the shareholders of TWC, which has been floundering recently, may force the company’s board to sell.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...st-us-all.html

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #13
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
You all do realize that billionaire John Malone, who commands Liberty Global, the largest cable company in the world, is pushing Charter Communications Inc., now the fourth largest, to buy Time Warner Cable Inc., the second largest.
Yes, apparently billionaire John Malone's current cable company that is making money hand over fist at the expense of its customers just isn't profitable enough for his liking, so he wants MOARRRRR!!!!!! But not to worry, I'm sure that billionaire John Malone would never, ever try to break the spirit of net neutrality in order to enrich himself further.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 02-09-2014 at 11:08 AM.