TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #421
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdvr View Post
I managed to screw up my first drive . It just shows a TiVo welcome screen than starts over . I have tcd746500 500gb drive. Any one have access to a vhd backup of it
I don't have an image for that model, but I sent you a PM to the TCD746320 image. You can use jmfs to expand into the rest of the space on a 500GB drive.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #422
azdvr

much appreciated
azdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:10 AM   #423
allenfr

TIVO TDC750500 upgrade

I just completed a upgrade to a 4TB hard drive on my TDC750500 and it is working.
Only thing is it shows 429 HD hours and 3749 SD hours.
I did the upgrade using JMFS104 and then installing it in the TIVO then after a complete run I removed it and did the expand and super size the drive using JMFS104.
I think it still hasn't used the complete 4TB hard drive which is a WD WD40EZRX.
Does anyone have a idea what I might do to get the full drive capacity?
Allenfr
allenfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:36 PM   #424
ggieseke

3TB and 4TB Premieres are still in their infancy, and the existing tools can't get you there without some fairly serious hacking. I just got my first one running a few hours ago.

The procedure is entirely jmbach's baby, and he's working to come up with a new version of jmfs to make it user-friendly. Right now it involves multiple drives, a hex editor, and lots of MFS know-how. A full expansion to 4TB should show an estimated 640/5608 hours.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:01 PM   #425
TiVoTJung

Using your program now to back up a hard drive. Pretty sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TiVoTJung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:55 PM   #426
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
3TB and 4TB Premieres are still in their infancy, and the existing tools can't get you there without some fairly serious hacking. I just got my first one running a few hours ago.

The procedure is entirely jmbach's baby, and he's working to come up with a new version of jmfs to make it user-friendly. Right now it involves multiple drives, a hex editor, and lots of MFS know-how. A full expansion to 4TB should show an estimated 640/5608 hours.
Fortunately I have been able to contact Comer and we are discussing modifications and improvements to JMFS.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:34 PM   #427
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Fortunately I have been able to contact Comer and we are discussing modifications and improvements to JMFS.
We need to lock you, comer, and ggieseke in a room together, and tiger and spike as well if we could find them, and let you create the ultimate all-models does everything TiVo hacking package.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #428
Cybernut

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Keep going jmbach - the 3TB & 4TB Premiere upgrades are AMAZING gifts I received thanks to your hard work on it And I couldn't agree more with unitron's comment about locking you, ggieseke, comer, etc. in a room to come up with an amazing automated tool for all TiVo DIY-ers
Cybernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #429
ggieseke

The beer bill for that meeting would probably cost more than a new Roamio.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:22 AM   #430
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenfr View Post
I just completed a upgrade to a 4TB hard drive on my TDC750500 and it is working.
Only thing is it shows 429 HD hours and 3749 SD hours.
I did the upgrade using JMFS104 and then installing it in the TIVO then after a complete run I removed it and did the expand and super size the drive using JMFS104.
I think it still hasn't used the complete 4TB hard drive which is a WD WD40EZRX.
Does anyone have a idea what I might do to get the full drive capacity?
Allenfr
At this point JMFS will expand it to about 2.2TB so you have a proximately 2.7TB of recording space. If you are wanting to get 4TB you will have to expand it to 2TB first, be willing to copy the partitions over to a 4TB drive, rearranging the partition to be able to coalesce at least 2 partitions into one, and either wait for a new JMFS to come out (which hopefully will be in the near future) or be willing to try this procedure I have developed.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #431
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
The beer bill for that meeting would probably cost more than a new Roamio.
Basic, Plus, or Pro?
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #432
allenfr

TIVO TDC750500 upgrade

JMBACH
I think I will wait for the JMFS upgrade. That sounds like the best way to do the upgrade to 4TB HD. Thank you for your interest in this upgrade.
allenfr
allenfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #433
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenfr View Post
JMBACH
I think I will wait for the JMFS upgrade. That sounds like the best way to do the upgrade to 4TB HD. Thank you for your interest in this upgrade.
allenfr
Not a problem. I did post the upgrade procedure here DIY 4TB Premiere if you want to see what is involved.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #434
RonH

Just tried 'Truncate' with a nearly full drive from a Premiere. It completed a few hours later, giving me a file a little over 400Gb in size. I was expecting something smaller. Where did I go wrong?

{further clarification: this was a 75 hour Premiere with the original factory drive}

Last edited by RonH : 02-10-2014 at 12:10 PM.
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #435
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
Just tried 'Truncate' with a nearly full drive from a Premiere. It completed a few hours later, giving me a file a little over 400Gb in size. I was expecting something smaller. Where did I go wrong?
I just did the same thing and the size was ~99Gb, I thought something did not seem right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #436
jmbach

It seems that something changed in 20.3.8 OS that causes DvrBARS truncated backup size to be significantly larger than in previous OS versions.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #437
TVisitor

Hi Greg,

I've got a WD20EURS plugged into my system (on an internal SATA port). When I run DVRBARS I'm getting:

Error 0x00000001 (1): \\.\C: DeviceIoControl IOCTL_VOLUME_GET_VOLUME_DISK_EXTENTS

FYI, C: is my boot drive. It's a regular XP install - not a restored image, etc. Also, it is a 1TB drive partitioned into 4 (relatively) equal parts, each formatted NTFS. Furthermore, the BIOS for this machine is set to "IDE" for compatibility.

This machine also has a floppy drive that is A:\ and a DVD burner that is D:\ (internal SATA) [I unplugged both of those, no change.]

I'm running Windows XP on this machine, but I'm guessing that should be fine since you said it supports XP.

Device manager sees the new Tivo drive (I did not let it format/etc.)

Any ideas?

Last edited by TVisitor : 02-08-2014 at 10:55 PM.
TVisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #438
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I just did the same thing and the size was ~99Gb, I thought something did not seem right.
I've been able to eliminate this "variance" by performing a "Clear Program Information and To Do List", prior to the backup (and keeping the network cable unplugged during and after the process, to prevent repopulation).

While the "and To Do List" part may sound scary, the Season Passes and ARWL entries WILL repopulate once the guide data has been re-downloaded. You WILL LOSE any manually scheduled entries and non-AR WishLists.

Having the supersize option enabled tends to be a large contributor to the variance, but gets nullified (mostly) if you jettison the guide data.

I can't quote sizes, since my Premieres have all been sold-off. But, I did verify the data I just posted with 20.3.8.

Don't forget that the DVRBARS files will often zip/rar compress down GREATLY, if you are trying to back-up to DVDs or thumb drives. I've never seen a case where no additional compression could be applied.

EDIT/ADD: The variance will also tend to be different, depending on which methods/tools (and/or image) was used to create your larger-capacity upgraded drive.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 02-09-2014 at 06:44 AM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:39 AM   #439
ggieseke

I noticed the same variance while creating a 4TB XL using jmbach's method, but I thought it may have been a one-time glitch. I started with 20.3.7.1a and the truncated image was about 1.7GB as expected. I let it upgrade to 20.3.8, repeated the process, and the truncated image was only slightly smaller than a Modified Full.

I'll have to extract and analyze the MFS on 20.3.8 to see what's up. Somewhere along the way from 14.5 to later versions they switched from /Recording to /RecordingLite but it still worked as expected since I was excluding anything that started with /Recording from truncated backups.

Sorry about that folks.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #440
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVisitor View Post
Hi Greg,

I've got a WD20EURS plugged into my system (on an internal SATA port). When I run DVRBARS I'm getting:

Error 0x00000001 (1): \\.\C: DeviceIoControl IOCTL_VOLUME_GET_VOLUME_DISK_EXTENTS

FYI, C: is my boot drive. It's a regular XP install - not a restored image, etc. Also, it is a 1TB drive partitioned into 4 (relatively) equal parts, each formatted NTFS. Furthermore, the BIOS for this machine is set to "IDE" for compatibility.

This machine also has a floppy drive that is A:\ and a DVD burner that is D:\ (internal SATA) [I unplugged both of those, no change.]

I'm running Windows XP on this machine, but I'm guessing that should be fine since you said it supports XP.

Device manager sees the new Tivo drive (I did not let it format/etc.)

Any ideas?
Hmm. Error code 1 is defined as ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION, which I haven't seen before. Are you running any kind of underlying partition manager or compression software on that PC?

If you don't have another computer you could try let me know and I'll write a customized version for you that ignores that particular error, but it's definitely strange. I could understand a NOT_READY or GEN_FAILURE code, but it seems to be saying that the IOCTL_VOLUME_GET_VOLUME_DISK_EXTENTS function doesn't exist.

Here's some info on that function.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx
Old 02-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #441
TVisitor

Quote:
Hmm. Error code 1 is defined as ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION, which I haven't seen before. Are you running any kind of underlying partition manager or compression software on that PC?

If you don't have another computer you could try let me know and I'll write a customized version for you that ignores that particular error, but it's definitely strange. I could understand a NOT_READY or GEN_FAILURE code, but it seems to be saying that the IOCTL_VOLUME_GET_VOLUME_DISK_EXTENTS function doesn't exist.

Here's some info on that function.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx
Yeah - I was looking it up last night - it's almost as if it thinks the drive is not a fixed disk for some reason. There's no underlying disk management software running on this PC. I do have another PC to try it in - the only reason I hadn't tried it in there yet is because it's a bit hard to move that PC around (sitting on a table behind a TV). However, I did try running DVRBars on it, and it ran just fine. I'm going to try putting the new drive in it since I see that DVRBars didn't seem to have any issues on first shot.

Edit: Successfully restored the image on my other PC. No errors. I'm willing to play around and test any debug versions you might want to see if it can run on the PC that failed with the error, though I won't put the "new" drive back in there since I successfully restored it (and don't want to clobber it). Feel free to PM me.

Last edited by TVisitor : 02-09-2014 at 11:35 AM.
TVisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #442
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVisitor View Post
Yeah - I was looking it up last night - it's almost as if it thinks the drive is not a fixed disk for some reason. There's no underlying disk management software running on this PC. I do have another PC to try it in - the only reason I hadn't tried it in there yet is because it's a bit hard to move that PC around (sitting on a table behind a TV). However, I did try running DVRBars on it, and it ran just fine. I'm going to try putting the new drive in it since I see that DVRBars didn't seem to have any issues on first shot.

Edit: Successfully restored the image on my other PC. No errors. I'm willing to play around and test any debug versions you might want to see if it can run on the PC that failed with the error, though I won't put the "new" drive back in there since I successfully restored it (and don't want to clobber it). Feel free to PM me.
If you're happy I'm happy. Glad it worked on the other PC.

Unless you have an overwhelming desire to play guinea pig it's probably best to accept success. I'd want to know exactly WHY it failed on the first computer (ignoring the error is too easy) and we both probably have better things to focus on for the next several weeks.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #443
rgtv65

Hard Drive replacement, TiVo Premier

I have a Premier model TCD746320 that I recently replaced with a new TiVo Romeo, which I upgraded the HD to 2TB. The Premier was beginning to occasionally freeze on some DVR recordings, so I suspect the HD is going. I would like to still salvage the Premier to use in another room to replace an aging TiVo HD. Since I kept the OEM 500GB Seagate HD from the Romeo, my thought was to copy the image from the OEM Premier HD onto the the Romeo OEM drive. Since this will just be for spare room use, I don't necessarily need to expand to use the full 500GB, the original 320GB would be fine. What is the best, easiest method to accomplish this?
rgtv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #444
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtv65 View Post
I have a Premier model TCD746320 that I recently replaced with a new TiVo Romeo, which I upgraded the HD to 2TB. The Premier was beginning to occasionally freeze on some DVR recordings, so I suspect the HD is going. I would like to still salvage the Premier to use in another room to replace an aging TiVo HD. Since I kept the OEM 500GB Seagate HD from the Romeo, my thought was to copy the image from the OEM Premier HD onto the the Romeo OEM drive. Since this will just be for spare room use, I don't necessarily need to expand to use the full 500GB, the original 320GB would be fine. What is the best, easiest method to accomplish this?
You can backup up your existing Premiere drive to a file using the Truncated or Modified Full mode, then restore it to the Roamio drive. Truncated backups usually only take about 2GB, but something in 20.3.8 is making them run about the same size as a Modified Full. Make sure you have about 320GB free on your computer.

Alternatively I can send you a raw 746320 image and you can start over from scratch.

Either way, you can expand it to use the full 500GB with jmfs.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:55 PM   #445
rgtv65

Thanks very much for the response, ggieseke! I don't believe the HD has degraded to the point where the operating system is affected, however, the surest thing might be to burn the raw 746320 image as I have most of the recorded content backed up on TiVo Desktop anyway. Would I use DvrBARS to install the image? Any recommendations for installation and the image file would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:34 AM   #446
ggieseke

Quote:
Thanks very much for the response, ggieseke! I don't believe the HD has degraded to the point where the operating system is affected, however, the surest thing might be to burn the raw 746320 image as I have most of the recorded content backed up on TiVo Desktop anyway. Would I use DvrBARS to install the image? Any recommendations for installation and the image file would be greatly appreciated.
Check your PMs for a link to the image. Unzip it to extract the VHD file.

Hook the new drive up to your Windows PC. Run DvrBARS, choose the Quick Restore option, and it should walk you through it from there. An internal SATA connection, eSATA, or a USB 3.0 dock is faster but an old USB 2.0 dock or adapter will work fine. The raw image is only a few GB so we're talking minutes, not hours.

Run jmfs to expand it. You can skip this step but I've never heard anyone complain about more recording space.

Grab a copy of kmttg and use it to back up the season passes on your old drive. This is also optional but you can restore them to the new drive later.

Put the new drive in the Premiere. It will update the OS and run Guided Setup immediately, but you'll still have to run Clear & Delete Everything to "marry" the drive to the motherboard before it will work properly. That means another GS, so just blast throught the first one and don't sweat the details.

P.S. There's a little-known feature in the DvrBARS System Information screen (the Donate button).

Greg
Old 02-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #447
rgtv65

Thank you, Greg, for the PM. I'll also look in the forums for the JMFS link.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:01 PM   #448
rgtv65

DvrBARS worked perfectly, new HD installed and working at planned. Thanks for all your help, Greg. Also, I found the "little-known feature" on the program and employed it!
Old 02-18-2014, 06:17 PM   #449
rgtv65

Thought I had everything working OK, but just discovered I cant record anything. Tried to transfer recordings from TiVo Desktop, nothing transfered, then tried recording a live broadcast, nothing. Just figured out how to "Clear & Delete Everything" under the help menu. Hopefully this and a re-boot will solve the problem? Noticed that under the "system info" it does not show the TiVo service tag number.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #450
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Thought I had everything working OK, but just discovered I cant record anything. Tried to transfer recordings from TiVo Desktop, nothing transfered, then tried recording a live broadcast, nothing. Just figured out how to "Clear & Delete Everything" under the help menu. Hopefully this and a re-boot will solve the problem? Noticed that under the "system info" it does not show the TiVo service tag number.
Yes, you need to run Clear & Delete Everything after you put in a new image that was not from your original Tivo. This will register your Tivo service number to the image, and allow all Tivo functions.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote