TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:39 AM   #571
alanpgh

Am I missing something or just lucky?

Except for last night's outage, solid as a rock here in Pittsburgh on Comcast.

Solid as a rock only after installing an Apple Airport Express, set up as a Range Extender. This made a day and night difference for me.
I suspect that the Airport Express has a better / more sensitive / up-to-date receiver than the Tivo Premiere XL.

Thanks to suggestions on this forum, I have been able to solve all problems.

I'm sure there will be other problems in the future. Between Tivo updates and support and all of you on this forum, we will keep our Tivos running better than ever.

Compared to regular cable boxes, there's still nothing like Tivo.
alanpgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:46 AM   #572
alanpgh

I agree that the software is not as robust as it could be.

Hope Tivo will make these types of obvious (and some not so obvious) improvements / updates over time.

All it takes is a few experienced system and software engineers. Plus a well designed / robust architecture and development system within Tivo.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #573
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

LOL, been using Tivos long? My guess is no because if you have you'd realize that pretty much everything they do is half-baked.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #574
alanpgh

Wrong assumption.

Been using Tivo's since Series 1.

I will admit I can't just call the cable company when there is a problem, but over the long term very few problems with Tivo products.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:57 AM   #575
siratfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdspilot View Post
I have had this error many times since the last software update about 10 days ago. My internet is fine and I can connect to my other Tivo so my connections are good. Is this just a Tivo Server Prob? I am hard wired to a non green switch.

thanks
For me, it's been about distance or interference. My Roamio is in my upstairs masters. When I had the router in my upstairs spare bedroom, I never had the c133. When I moved it to the garage, I started getting it. I moved it back to the spare bedroom, and I'm not getting it anymore.
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #576
Nailz

Hmm, Is there a guaranteed uptime in the Tivo service service agreement? Sounds like DirecTV, which for me goes out everytime it rains.

Curtis
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #577
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailz View Post
Hmm, Is there a guaranteed uptime in the Tivo service service agreement? Sounds like DirecTV, which for me goes out everytime it rains.

Curtis
My cable goes out when a tree falls on the cable line, this (and rain problems) are much different problems than making part (non optional) of the Roamio so dependent on the internet, TiVo should have a setting for only guide data not the rest of the internet connected stuff. TiVo must have an ongoing expense in the on all the time internet connection, can't do that for free.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #578
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Here we go again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
http://status.tivo.com is showing a partial outage on core services. They're calling a minor outage ... seems pretty major to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
A lot of good this did me...

All three just got the update, lost the real-time connection, bare-bones functionality, can't reboot since they are recording, can't watch because the screen keeps blacking out (sound too), and the only way I can get anything to show is by switching to another HDMI port and back, only to go black again. The HDUI Thumbs-Down, Thumbs-Up, Play, Play sequence won't even get them back up without jumping between HDMI inputs...

KMTTG just locks-up, but my network is working fine for all non-TiVo devices.

I don't have high hopes for what I'll see when they can reboot and update. Hopefully I'll at least be able to do something after they can install the update. Belly-Up bricked on all three, and can't even verify they actually are recording as the panel lights indicate.

I guess I have live by the comment I made about how TiVo users should know that software updates are "Beta Testing & Field Trials Part 2" and that's what we ought to know by now if we've been TiVo users for a significant amount of time.

Force-feed all three an update at the exact same time, during prime-time, throwing all into C133 lockdown mode... WTH TiVo?

nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:01 AM   #579
apwelsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
For me, it's been about distance or interference. My Roamio is in my upstairs masters. When I had the router in my upstairs spare bedroom, I never had the c133. When I moved it to the garage, I started getting it. I moved it back to the spare bedroom, and I'm not getting it anymore.
What you are talking about is just a poor wifi solution. The roamio wifi is junk. We have iPhones and iPads with great signal but the roamio on wifi at the same spot can't maintain a quality signal. This is not surprising. Our tv and blueray have the same issues. The antennas are weak and the signal power is low.

Just use the MOCA solution and that problem goes away. The issue most people complain about is when the unit sees the internet and all other units but TiVo is reporting that the services are down. This prevents all streaming services from working since they cannot phone home to TiVo to start the streaming app.
apwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #580
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Dumb Question from new Roamio owner

and i didn't search the forums yet, but in a short sentence can someone tell me why do the Roamios need to have a continious connection with TiVo servers?

My old S3 connected once or twice daily and functioned properly even without internet access (to TiVo servers).

Does this mean if I were to lose connectivity wit TiVo servers, for whatever reason, I cannot view cable channels/programming or I just lose things like YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, etc ?

Thank you
Old 04-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #581
MLM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanTiVo View Post
and i didn't search the forums yet, but in a short sentence can someone tell me why do the Roamios need to have a continious connection with TiVo servers?

My old S3 connected once or twice daily and functioned properly even without internet access (to TiVo servers).

Does this mean if I were to lose connectivity wit TiVo servers, for whatever reason, I cannot view cable channels/programming or I just lose things like YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, etc ?

Thank you
Based on what I experienced last night during the C133 issues, the Roamio has real problems when the TiVo Core Services are down. I was able to watch live TV and recording but pressing the TiVo button made the screen go black and unresponsive for about 20 seconds. Other weird things happened too. Others have commented on this as well if you search a bit. I think part of the problem was the Roamio had a network connection so it was trying to communicate but not receiving a response from TiVo and freezing until a timeout occurred. It was recording the whole time, though.

I have kept a regular cable box as a backup so we can still watch live TV because I don't trust that my TiVo will always be working. When it works it is great but it is too dependent on the mothership for every little function.
MLM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #582
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:

Watching live-tv and recording shouldn't be affected, as long as you're not changing things. Amazon will be affected; I think that Netflix and YouTube will depend on the type of network problem (sometimes affected, most times not?)

The main problem is doing anything with the TiVo HDUI menu system. Basically every icon you see (for a show, for instance) requires a network access. The Discovery Bar, which changes to show similar shows to what's on the screen, seems to be mostly done via network, as well as requiring many icons. Some things get cached; others aren't. I did a packet dump of the network traffic a year ago and most menu movements (simple down-arrow) in "Now Playing" required 5-7 accesses of the network (several DNS requests, possible icon downloading).

In addition, your TiVo is constantly checking to see if there is something waiting to be downloaded to it (eg, Amazon order, web video, on-line request to record something or to change season pass.) A year ago, that checking was done by sending essentially a text message every 10 seconds over the network; I haven't checked to see if that changed with the Roamio.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #583
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:

Thank you
On a positive note, the release notes announcement for this Spring Update 20.4.1 list:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...7#post10062977

Include this:

- VOD and apps can now be launched in C133 mode

As long as the next C133 after the update show any improvement in the OTT (Over The Top) apps functionality, I see it as a step in the right direction.

I was just unlucky enough that all my boxes downloaded the update at the same time, then a C133 knocked them into a lockdown, plus I couldn't see/hear A/V output on my TVs, and I could just hope that once the recording lights stopped, and I could reboot them, the recordings would be there.

They were. I was just unlucky in the timing of it (prime-time), and had some high-anxiety until I could let the update fully install on the reboot. The C133 was resolved at nearly the same moment the recordings finished, so I could view the menus and everything, as I used the menus to reboot, rather than letting them sit until 2AM, when the update would install without interaction.

I've spotted a few minor annoyances, but nothing that has me gnashing my teeth.

I have some faith that TiVo will learn from this incident. On the other hand, I seem to be the only one who couldn't watch Live TV or view recordings. I'd have noticed any other reports. OTOH, some might not have been using theirs and might not have noticed what I did. Unless I'm sleeping, or away, I tend to keep my TVs on, with CNN or a music channel on.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:37 PM   #584
flar

I have had my Pro since September or so and didn't have many network problems until the past couple of weeks, but then again I've been using the network features more lately.

However, in the past couple of weeks I've been seeing frequent C13x errors saying that my network is down. The odd thing is that the network is working fine from all of my other devices, including the devices in my AV cabinet that get their internet *through* the TiVo (using the TiVo in ethernet+MoCa mode to get the network to the devices in the cabinet). So, the TiVo definitely has internet connectivity to the point where it can share it with the rest of the devices in the cabinet, but not for its own uses.

I am guessing this is due to not being able to access the TiVo servers as opposed to any general network outage, judging from the couple of pages of this thread that I browsed. If that is so, then I would think that we would all see the C13x errors around the same time as each other and that any extra errors on someone's part would be their own network's issues?

The question I have is that most people are saying that "other than that one outage the other night, I never see the network errors", but I am seeing them every other time I turn on the Roamio over the past few weeks. If it was the TiVo servers, then wouldn't more people be seeing them more often? If it was my internal network then wouldn't the other devices in my cabinet also be having network errors because they get their internet from the Roamio?

Also note that my Mini seems to have trouble seeing the Roamio when it is in its "C13x" mode. I'm guessing that part is normal if the Roamio cannot contact the mothership? Or is this saying that the Roamio isn't even able to access the LAN (even though other devices can access the LAN through it)?
selling TiVo Series 3, WD10EVCS, lifetime from Series 2
retired TiVo Series 2, 80 hour
flar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:20 AM   #585
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Thank you for the explainatins, much appreciated.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #586
apwelsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM1 View Post
I was able to watch live TV and recording but pressing the TiVo button made the screen go black and unresponsive for about 20 seconds..
I have a Premier 4, a Roamio, and Mini. I don't notice a difference in service issues between them, except when the Roamio has wifi issues.

Regarding the Black Screen when pressing the TiVo button on the remote, I get this on all my units. If I go back to live TV then back into the TiVo menu it works fine. Very annoying, but not related to the C133 error. It's some glitch in the last update I received. All units worked fine then one day they all started doing this, quite frequently, and independent of any C13x errors.

apwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:54 PM   #587
alanpgh

This is a summary of an old post I made:

To solve 95+% of "Network Errors" problems, I added an Apple airport Express to boost the Wi-Fi signal near my Tivo Premiere.

This worked for me.

Good Luck!

Alan
Old 05-23-2014, 01:27 PM   #588
ndegraff69

Angry Continuous C133 error

I just wanted to see if there had been a solution to the C133 error message. I've been getting the message since I purchased my tivo roamio in January. On and off, but more lately. I keep talking with the chat/phone support and they are no help. Suggestions were to restart tivo (done) and restart router. Tried and not working. This is really an annoying problem. I'd return the tivo but I think I'm passed the return date. The support person also suggested connecting the tivo to the router directly. That defeats the whole purpose of having wireless. Really annoyed. If you found a solution, I would appreciate the steps taken.
ndegraff69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:35 PM   #589
Jackamus

Normally the C133 error is TiVo issue with their service and not your box. You can reboot but if it doesn't go away after a reboot, you'll have to wait until the problem is fixed by TiVo.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #590
pgoelz

Just as a data point..... I have not had a single C133 (or ANY error, for that matter) since the "bad old days" 3-4 months ago. If it makes a difference, I am hardwired.... the Tivo sits next to the router. Never tried WiFi.

If no one else is reporting C133 errors, there may indeed be something amiss in your network or with your ISP. Or maybe there is more than one server farm and I am using a good one?

Paul
pgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #591
Jackamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
Just as a data point..... I have not had a single C133 (or ANY error, for that matter) since the "bad old days" 3-4 months ago. If it makes a difference, I am hardwired.... the Tivo sits next to the router. Never tried WiFi.

If no one else is reporting C133 errors, there may indeed be something amiss in your network or with your ISP. Or maybe there is more than one server farm and I am using a good one?

Paul
^^^^ Same here ^^^^
Old 05-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #592
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackamus View Post
Normally the C133 error is TiVo issue with their service and not your box.
Can't agree with this.

C133 just means that the tivo can't speak to the Tivo server that it expects to be able to speak to.

In this user's case, I'd be MUCH more inclined to believe that it is his home (wireless) network that is causing the problem, since the Tivo servers seem to have been pretty stable recently (notice the lack of posts on this thread).
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #593
HarperVision

It could also possibly be an issue with his wifi card on his TiVo. Only way to really tell is to either try another TiVo, hard wire it or try an Ethernet style wifi adapter, like the TiVo N adapters, etc.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #594
pshivers
Retired!

Sounds like you have a less than stellar wireless signal to your Tivo. Perhaps using a MOCA solution instead of using wireless.? This will give the added benefit of Ethernet in the same room as your TiVo for other devices...
Charter CableCard Firmware Updated to PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 All 6 tuners are now Active and Working!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #595
andyf

Check on http://status.tivo.com . This will give you the state of TiVo's servers. If they're all green then the problem is likely local.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #596
ndegraff69

Input

Thanks for the input from everyone. Another question. Hard wiring is not an option and from reading doesn't look like a Moca would work either b/c I live in a condo building. Could wireless adapter solve problem? Hate to pay $80 for tivo adapter and doesn't solve problem. I'm a little out of my depth with this stuff.
ndegraff69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #597
moonscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndegraff69 View Post
doesn't look like a Moca would work either b/c I live in a condo building.
Why wouldn't MoCa work for your condo? I'm not techie (at all!) but the cable enters your unit somewhere and a filter would be put in place there isolating it, no? I'm not clear on the difference between that and a SFR.
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:09 PM   #598
ringjim

Thumbs down Change in plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndegraff69 View Post
I just wanted to see if there had been a solution to the C133 error message. I've been getting the message since I purchased my tivo roamio in January. On and off, but more lately. I keep talking with the chat/phone support and they are no help. Suggestions were to restart tivo (done) and restart router. Tried and not working. This is really an annoying problem. I'd return the tivo but I think I'm passed the return date. The support person also suggested connecting the tivo to the router directly. That defeats the whole purpose of having wireless. Really annoyed. If you found a solution, I would appreciate the steps taken.

My plans to upgrade all 3 of my TiVo's to Roamio's (I currently have Premier and 2 Series 2's).. has come to a screaching halt. With the C133 errors I've been receiving on a regular basis have made me rethink TiVo products in entirety now. Guess I'll have to see if there is an alternative option since TiVo doesn't seem to care any longer. They are losing market share and for good reason. Very sad to see a great company revert to a Comcast level of service.
ringjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #599
Jackamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringjim View Post
My plans to upgrade all 3 of my TiVo's to Roamio's (I currently have Premier and 2 Series 2's).. has come to a screaching halt. With the C133 errors I've been receiving on a regular basis have made me rethink TiVo products in entirety now. Guess I'll have to see if there is an alternative option since TiVo doesn't seem to care any longer. They are losing market share and for good reason. Very sad to see a great company revert to a Comcast level of service.
Interesting. It's been quite a while since I have had any issues like that. It's been a few months I would say Usually the problem is resolved quickly. I will agree with you in part on their customer service.. But I'd rather have TiVo.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #600
alanpgh

My solution was simple. Bought an a Apple Express and used as range extender. No more problems. And set output to 720.
Ask Margret from Tivo.