TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-07-2014, 10:37 PM   #61
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

I would bet the reason for the closeout specials is that they are not going to stock them in the stores any longer and only have them shipped to you or the stores. I can't count how many other things I have shopped for thinking I might be able to pick that it e up locally instead of waiting to have it shipped and 90% the stock they list on their website isn't available in the stores.

I wouldn't worry that Tivo is closing these of for something better or discontinuing just due to BestBuy's marketing strategies unless other sources start listing them as closeout specials!

I gave up on BestBuy years ago!
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #62
DebiLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
I wasn't referring to the hardware enclosure, I was referring to the packaging. And I'm betting both are re-released with new packaging when the larger marketing campaign goes into effect, ahead of the holidays and when out-of-home streaming is ready.
I'm still looking forward to that but frankly about 20 of my friends just picked up Streams from our local Best Buy stores on the heels of the Android announcement and all were in the old 2012 packaging and I'm a bit confused as to when TiVo actually plans on rolling them out with new packaging. It's now August 2014. Maybe they're waiting for Android streaming to come out so they can put it on the box?
DebiLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #63
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
I'm still looking forward to that but frankly about 20 of my friends just picked up Streams from our local Best Buy stores on the heels of the Android announcement and all were in the old 2012 packaging and I'm a bit confused as to when TiVo actually plans on rolling them out with new packaging. It's now August 2014. Maybe they're waiting for Android streaming to come out so they can put it on the box?
If everyone had 20 friends with TiVo, they'd have a lot of customers. I noticed the updated Mini packaging in June. But don't think I've seen a Stream in the store recently to see what's what. That's a good thought tho, save the refresh until they can put Android support (and versions) on there.

davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #64
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
If everyone had 20 friends with TiVo, they'd have a lot of customers. I noticed the updated Mini packaging in June. But don't think I've seen a Stream in the store recently to see what's what. That's a good thought tho, save the refresh until they can put Android support (and versions) on there.

Yes it's the Mini that had a cosmetic box logo change and perhaps a hardware too (power cord plug not fitting tightly) but there hasn't been any change in the external Stream design either packaging or hardware.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:20 AM   #65
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherA View Post
Yesterday when I went to pick up my Roamio I noticed my Best Buy was out of TiVo Streams. The tag said clearance and had them at $119. I was told they had no more streams on order and would not be getting any in.

Does anyone know if TiVo is getting rid of the Streams?
Yeah I've found the Streams hard to find but they're still out there and being sold for the regular $129 at the Best Buy stores and website.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:35 AM   #66
JWhites

When I got my Stream July 23rd it was in the old packaging, still touting Dolby Digital Plus support. Before I performed the firmware update I snooped around and looked at the firmware build date and it was from 2012 which surprised me. Looking on the bottom of my Stream it said the hardware build date is September 18, 2012. Since then I've updated to software version 19.1.6-01-6 build date February 18, 2014.

I do notice that when I use the stream in a 75║ Fahrenheit environment that the internal temp in the system info screen says 70║ Celsius which converts to 158║ Fahrenheit and sometimes the fan speed reads 0% and other times 30%. Do I have a problem? When it is idle and in standby mode the temp has gone down to as low as 38║ Celsius. TiVo said I can exchange it within the next three months but I'm not sure if my next one would have the same problem (if there is a problem) or if the next one would have something worse going on.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:52 AM   #67
DebiLee

Quote:
Yup I saw your articles and am very impressed. How often do you check the comments from past articles?

Now that the stand alone Stream supports Android (imminently) I see no reason why it is not getting the unconditional love from the community that all of the other products receive. So many people have brought up the fact that that you still need the stand alone Stream for the Premiere and base Roamio so the thought that they are on clearance just makes no sense. The only possibility that would make any sense would be if there is a new standalone Stream product coming out and they are clearing out inventory. But surely there would have been an announcement right?
Old 08-26-2014, 02:38 AM   #68
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I don't think the lack of Android support hurts their branding strategy. It may hurt their sales, but has no effect on the design of the box. Unless they plan on printing Apple and Android logos on the box, which may not even be legal without some sort of license agreement with those companies.
I agree. TiVo already is paying for use of Apple's App Store service mark and Apple's Apple, iPad, iPhone, and iPod trademarks on the current packaging, website, and accompanying literature. Now they just have to do the same for Android.

Last edited by JWhites : 08-26-2014 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #69
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
Yup I saw your articles and am very impressed. How often do you check the comments from past articles?
I have the blog software directly email me a copy of every comment - so they all get read. Mike Wolf shares your enthusiasm.

Quote:
The only possibility that would make any sense would be if there is a new standalone Stream product coming out and they are clearing out inventory. But surely there would have been an announcement right?
At this point, I don't imagine there will be a Stream hardware refresh since the it's assumed the existing model works with Android and perhaps they encoding chip has come down in price (or been swapped) 2 years later. As to Best Buy's "clearance" perhaps they were testing lower prices, trying to unload excess inventory, who knows what. I think TiVo's experimenting some at this point, given the new Roamio OTA, upcoming changes to Mini fees, etc. So things may remain fluid depending on consumer adoption and such.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #70
DebiLee

Oh glad more people agree
Thanks for your input, always appreciate it I'm really hoping Android users embrace the Stream now.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:34 PM   #71
JWhites

Quote:
I have the blog software directly email me a copy of every comment - so they all get read. Mike Wolf shares your enthusiasm.

At this point, I don't imagine there will be a Stream hardware refresh since the it's assumed the existing model works with Android and perhaps they encoding chip has come down in price (or been swapped) 2 years later. As to Best Buy's "clearance" perhaps they were testing lower prices, trying to unload excess inventory, who knows what. I think TiVo's experimenting some at this point, given the new Roamio OTA, upcoming changes to Mini fees, etc. So things may remain fluid depending on consumer adoption and such.
I did notice a lot of the stores in my area didn't have them in stock which was a bit of a concern.