TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2014, 03:33 AM   #31
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
I just tweeted Margret yesterday. She asked for more detail which I emailed her... So hopefully something will start to be done soon.
I received a reply from Tivo. They will include a fix in the next update.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #32
Buddy-series3

I have two Tivo Premier boxes. both have this same problem. I haven't tried to 1080i and 1080p trick yet as this seems wide spread and I would have thought Tivo would have pushed an update to correct. Annoying.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:25 PM   #33
alanpgh

Smile

I tested more carefully today.

1080i and 1080p fix works.

When I went to 720p, the problem appeared right away.

So, until Tivo updates, just restrict video settings to 1080i and 1080p.

There are a few other problems, like:
Getting C133 network problem from time to time again.
Sometimes Tivo UI seems to get hung up / backed up when I hit to many keys or perhaps punching keys to fast.
Doing a Restart on my Tivo Premiere XL seems to fix the problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Alan
alanpgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #34
shrike4242

You can add me into the list on this one. I've run into this issue so far on one Premiere XL I have hooked up to a TV in my kitchen.

I thought it was an issue with the new TV since it seemed to happen around that time, so this is exactly what I'm running into.

I'll set the Premiere XL to 1080i/1080p and work through that until the issue gets resolved. Will do the same on my other two Premiere XL/XL4 units if this happens again.

I also thought it was a HDMI handshaking issue, though it looks like that's not the issue either.

Thanks for the info and that it's likely to be fixed in the next update.

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL (one dead, one gifted, one w/Lifetime)
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:34 PM   #35
alburtis

Point of clarification, did a poster mention that he/she was having this issue on a Roamio as well? I would have thought that this "bug" was native to the Premiere since it is an issue inside the 20.3.8 update? Or is that also an update to the Roamio?

Pardon my ignorance. I was a happy Premiere base model owner which I purchased just to escape cable company box purgatory. It worked great and performed everything I was looking for (I use a Roku to stream, MLB/NHL are a necessity). Then last May with that update, I noticed the FF- to-live bug that dropped audio (which is how I found this forum). That was a minor annoyance that was easily circumvented with a few remote presses. (and all that update did as far AFAIK was to add the MLB app, which, LOL, anyone who cared enough had been using an alternate means to access MLB.TV for years, I mean, it costs $100 some dollars, people willing to spend that money for the package were not deterred by the fact that TIVO didn't have the app...anyway I digress).

So in the latest "fall" update, FF to live now does not drop audio, but the simple act of deleting a program after watching it blacks out your entire screen. I am not interesting in locking in a resolution on the Tivo, because I own another piece of hardware that does the upconverting that I prefer to the Tivo conversion.

So, considering that I was already tempted by the Roamio, and the fact that it is now available at Amazon for $149 (the base is all I need) and the fact that Best Buy has a $50 gift card potential this weekend after price matching it (if that works, not sure, but either way, it is a great price), I am very strongly considering a Roamio, but not if it has the same bug, which I was surprised to see a poster mention in this thread? I did not see it mentioned in any Roamio threads.

Apologies for the rant. I suppose it is common knowledge that Tivo has broken more than it has fixed with the last two updates.
alburtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:41 PM   #36
alanpgh

Smile

You can't connect an over the air antenna to the base Romio.

I have a Tivo Premiere XL with Lifetime Service.

Also, I have a Slingbox 500 and Apple TV, so all set here for now.

Feel free to comment.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #37
alburtis

alright alan I will comment!

"You can't connect an over the air antenna to the base Romio."

could you help me understand this please? honestly, just don't understand, another feature I was interested in the base Roamio was the OTA tuner. I would like the option of cutting the cord if I ever get there.

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:59 PM   #38
alanpgh

My error...
The base Roamio is the only Roamio that handles over the air.

https://www.tivo.com/shop/roamio

Others are digital only.

Not sure if base model supports streaming to IOS devices.
See link above.

And when streaming, currently only over WiFi on higher Roamios and most Premieres with extra box. Slingbox 500 streams over WiFi and Cellular to web browser anywhere in the world or to iDevice. I know this, as I have a Slingbox. No need for me to upgrade.

But, I am willing to listen to other viewpoints.

Thanks,
Alan
Old 01-24-2014, 11:08 PM   #39
alburtis

please update your sig as it is quite misleading.

The base Roamio does not include iOS streaming, but, like the Premiere, it does accommodate the Tivo Stream (which as far as I understand is the exact same hardware on the two fancier Roamios, the chip is just included directly on the motherboard).

So Amazon has the base Roamio for $149 right now, and Best Buy has a $50 gift card on it this weekend. Amazon also has the stream at $97. So one could buy the Roamio at Best Buy, force the price match, and potentially get at $50 gift card. which you could then turn around and price match a $129 Stream to $97 and then use the $50 price card.

Feel bad. Best Buy cant continue that business model, and in the meantime, investors reward Amazon and its 0% operating margin for putting everyone else out of business. Not sure what my responsibility is in this, but Best Buy will be gone sooner rather than later under this competitive environment.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:15 PM   #40
BladeZ

Is this the same problem?

Just noticed this tonight but after I hit delete it loads the new Netflix! Also loaded Netflix once randomly in the middle if watching a show. I have a premier xl4.
BladeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:03 AM   #41
mnb

I get this problem left arrowing out of a recording to return to a menu screen OFTEN.

Workaround: hit guide, hit again to dismiss. Now left arrow out.
mnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:07 PM   #42
mriman

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnb View Post
I get this problem left arrowing out of a recording to return to a menu screen OFTEN.

Workaround: hit guide, hit again to dismiss. Now left arrow out.
This is the way I have been "fixing" the problem also.
After reading this thread I am also changing the display to 1080i/p only.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #43
alanpgh

Changing the display settings to 1080i/p solves the problem for me.

But, I often get a c133 network error.

Have to restart to clear it.

See these links:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...16#post9985216
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...73#post9984773

Any comments are appreciated!
Old 01-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #44
jim7707

I've had this problem for a few weeks now on my Premier XL with the output set to 480p, 1080i.
jim7707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:55 PM   #45
alyssa

i've been getting the black screen for months on my premiere xl
i don't know if it started when i got 20.3.8
i don't have the c133 error code
clicking 'live tv' is how i get out of the black screen

anyone have the link to get on the priority list for the next update?

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:08 AM   #46
davemcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
i've been getting the black screen for months on my premiere xl
i don't know if it started when i got 20.3.8
i don't have the c133 error code
clicking 'live tv' is how i get out of the black screen?

Ditto for my XL4
davemcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:08 AM   #47
cjgadd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim7707 View Post
I've had this problem for a few weeks now on my Premier XL with the output set to 480p, 1080i.
I set mine to 1080i/1080p only and the problem seems to have gone away. I also noticed it only happens on the Premiere that is set to HD menus and not the one that is set to regular menus (wife's).
cjgadd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #48
alanpgh

Problem solved for me when I set at 1080i/p, which is a nice work around.

Let's hope Tivo completely solves this with the next software update.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #49
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I seem to mostly see this problem when returning to the Roamio menus after watching an MRS recording off one of the Premieres.

My Roamio Pro is set to 1080p & 1080p (pass-thru) only

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #50
Futureinsights

The mini has the same problem, just an FYI.
Futureinsights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #51
ski4404

Arrow

Just in case Tivo is counting users affected here, our Premiere 4 is also impacted by this bug (all video formats set). I'll be trying the suggested workaround and restricting the resolution settings.
ski4404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #52
Jed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski4404 View Post
Just in case Tivo is counting users affected here, our Premiere 4 is also impacted by this bug (all video formats set). I'll be trying the suggested workaround and restricting the resolution settings.
I posted a small work around over in this thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...77#post9994177
I did not resolve the issue completely but reduced the occurrence to once in a while.

As stated before the odds that somebody from TiVo is monitoring this thread is basically nil. Always post bug issues in the firmware update threads that Margret starts. You will have a better chance of her seeing the issue.
Starting numerous threads for each bug will result in nothing as she doesn't have time to read every thread in this forum.
Jed1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:54 AM   #53
emax

I am having same issue on my XL, Roamio Pro is fine. My workaround is: Mytivo + 0 brings tipi menu back
emax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #54
davemcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanpgh View Post
I tested more carefully today.

1080i and 1080p fix works.

When I went to 720p, the problem appeared right away.

So, until Tivo updates, just restrict video settings to 1080i and 1080p.

Alan
What if I have a Pioneer 4270..which is only 720p? Should I set for 720?
davemcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #55
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

You can, sure.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #56
rad1701

My Premiere has had this problem for awhile now. I thought turning off that little live preview window box in the upper right would fix it - but it didn't. If I get a blank screen I can hit LiveTV and that gets me back ok. I'll try setting output to only 1080.

TIVO - please fix this soon!
rad1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #57
jaydro

Just wanted to add--everyone is talking about the problem with the menu, but I believe this is affecting other outputs as well. I had previously reported that while I have all outputs selected (I prefer to let my AV receiver do all the conversions rather than my TiVo box) I was seeing Hulu being output upconverted to 1080i. I've since noticed that SD channels are sometimes being upconverted to 720p, despite my wish to have everything output native.
jaydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #58
jcbinder

So glad to find this thread - I thought my monitor was going south so I switched to a different brand, but the same problem appeared (coming out of playback of from a recorded show on premier and found a black screen on 'Now playing' and 'Central'.) For me going to 'live TV' / 'Guide' / 'Tivo Central' fixed the problem temporarily - but thanks for the suggestion of the '1080i / passthrough' solution, it seems to be working 100% of the time again.

Looking forward to an update to fix this issue.
jcbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #59
Bigg

I'm having this issue on my XL4. I thought it might have something to do with the massive increase in usage of the box last week and through this week, but I guess not. I just zoom back to the video and then the TiVo button again, although once or twice I had to use my iPhone to select a recording and then go back out, as it got stuck in nowhereland.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #60
mcmnky

Adding another data point, particularly because of the different work-arounds folks have posted.

With my XL4 with Stream add-on, after getting to the end of a recording and selecting Delete, the screen goes black with the preview video window (as pictured by shamilian above). Happens 1 out of every 2 or 3 recordings. Seems to be happening more often, but I haven't been keeping strict numbers. I was concerned it might be signs of a dying hard drive.

TiVo, Live TV, and other buttons get no response. The only thing that has worked on my unit is to hit Guide, which brings up the guide as expected. From there I can hit TiVo, Live TV, etc.
Series 2 80 hours SD
SD-H400 80 hours SD
mcmnky is offline   Reply With Quote