Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
argicida

So what happens now with late night TV?

Spoilers about tonight's final Jay Leno show in the link

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...fter-22-years/

So what happens now, a smooth transition to Jimmy Falon who is only 39? Or is there a Conan comeback or a move to get Letterman back?

Jay say he may be back on TV just not late night. And Jimmy was really negative to Leno for taking back over from Conan does that hurt the transition?
argicida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

on NBC, the Tonight Show moves back to New York City and will be hosted by Jimmy Fallon. There will be no comeback moves by Conan or to get Letterman.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
GoPackGo

I don't remember Jimmy Fallon being negative towards Leno. Are you thinking of Jimmy Kimmel?
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
argicida

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
I don't remember Jimmy Fallon being negative towards Leno. Are you thinking of Jimmy Kimmel?

You're right my error.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #5
mattack

I don't even remember Kimmel being negative towards Leno even though he has been a HUGE Letterman fan all along. Though I admit I don't watch full episodes of Kimmel much. (I record basically ALL of them, and watch a few funny snippets here and there.. and watch letterman though I have a zillion banked up and sometimes just listen to the audio.)
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #6
argicida

A good Leno "exit interview" video and story

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...ewell/5225665/
Old 02-06-2014, 10:27 PM   #7
dslunceford

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I don't even remember Kimmel being negative towards Leno even though he has been a HUGE Letterman fan all along.
A good overview: http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a4...opriately.html

Though he evidently congratulated Jay today...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:52 PM   #8
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

"Jimmy" becomes the average (mode) name for all 11:35pm talk-show hosts.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:05 PM   #9
ewolfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I don't even remember Kimmel being negative towards Leno even though he has been a HUGE Letterman fan all along. Though I admit I don't watch full episodes of Kimmel much.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...343,full.story

Quote:
When NBC returned you to the "Tonight Show," you were painted as the bad guy who took Conan O'Brien's job away. And a lot of the people attacking you were fellow entertainers, like David Letterman.

The thing with Dave is, he's funny. Please. We're comics. I take potshots all the time. Dave always had a punch line. Dave always put the joke first.

But he wasn't the only one. Jimmy Kimmel went after you as well.

I don't quite get that one. Jimmy Kimmel's very funny, I think he's very talented, but he's a radio guy. It's a different sensibility, where you attack the guy on the other station hoping to get into a fight with him.

He appeared in a bit on your show and proceeded to take you apart for the Conan fiasco.

I didn't edit it out. I said, "It's my fault, I walked into it. Keep it in."

ewolfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:41 PM   #10
argicida

Boy, Fallon is really gonna have to be better on the Tonight Show than his Late Night tonight would indicate and surely they put a lot of effort into a show that all the people watching the last Jay Leno would see at least the beginning.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:53 PM   #11
Ereth

I wonder if Fallon will have the class to mention his predecessor in his first show, something that Leno did not do, and for which I've never forgiven him.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:06 AM   #12
argicida

Leno didn't mention Carson? That was tacky and now Leno calls Carson the greatest ever.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:46 AM   #13
GoPackGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by argicida View Post
Leno didn't mention Carson? That was tacky and now Leno calls Carson the greatest ever.
Correct, Leno made no mention of Carson.

At the time, Leno was being advised by the biggest b in the world, and I believe it was her call.

Fallon gets it. Lorne Michaels gets it. The same mistake won't happen on Fallon's first show, guaranteed.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #14
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

I'm more interested to see if Jimmy thanks Conan. (I've heard that it's because of Jimmy that the promos for his Tonight Show have what little trace of Conan in them that they do.)

I think Conan screwed up in not taking the temporary 12:05 demotion, and Jimmy is the slightly-delayed beneficiary in that mistake.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you

Last edited by lambertman : 02-07-2014 at 07:18 AM.
lambertman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #15
TomK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
I'm more interested to see if Jimmy thanks Conan. (I've heard that it's because of Jimmy that the promos for his Tonight Show have what little trace of Conan in them that they do.)

I think Conan screwed up in not taking the temporary 12:05 demotion, and Jimmy is the slightly-delayed beneficiary in that mistake.
I think Conan screwed up by (1) moving to L.A. and leaving what worked very well and (2) bringing back Andy Richter.
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #16
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think Leno is going to end up on CNN.
mrdbdigital is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:31 PM   #17
JYoung
Series 3

The two Jimmys will duke it out for the title of #1 but the new King of Late Night Television is Lorne Michaels.

I don't think that Fallon will do better than O'Brien's Tonight Show ratings in the long run but if he can attract enough of the younger demo, NBC will at least pretend to be happy with his ratings.

I think the one who will really feel the squeeze will be Letterman as:
A) He has nothing left to prove.
B) He will be competing with Fallon (and Michaels) for a more limited pool of guests and I suspect that unless he gets another ratings boost, he'll get less of the A List guests than Fallon.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #18
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
I think Conan screwed up by (1) moving to L.A. and leaving what worked very well and (2) bringing back Andy Richter.
(1) The only thing he left was his location -- his entire staff went with him from New York to L.A.

As far as I can remember, the concept of a Conan "Tonight Show" in New York didn't even occur to anyone; NBC was of the mindset that "'The Tonight Show' moved to Los Angeles in 1972, and that's it," so they started from that thought and built Conan the new studio at Universal, etc.

(2) Obviously, it's a matter of personal taste, but I think Conan just "works" much better when he's with Andy than he did in the last few years of "Late Night" when Andy wasn't on the show.

I'm not aware of any research that showed that the low ratings for Conan's "Tonight Show" were because of the presence of Andy Richter, but feel free to point me to something.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #19
argicida

Quote:
Conan O’Brien Wins Late-Night TV With Jay Leno Jab

Quote:
The scorned host has moved on, but he hasn’t forgotten the slight. During his monologue Thursday, O’Brien took a shot at his former network, saying, “NBC has the Olympics. It’s a big deal. NBC will finally get to show somebody who’s okay with passing the torch.”

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=22403843
Old 02-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #20
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Slate: I actually feel bad for Jay Leno

Interesting article. The author points out again and again how bad Leno is, with old, tired, and outdated jokes. But yet he feels bad for him.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #21
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
I bet that Leno is a guest on Letterman within the next year. It will be a huge media event, obviously. But Dave has the ability to reconcile with Jay - at least to have him on his show.

Conan? Never.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #22
argicida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post

Interesting article. The author points out again and again how bad Leno is, with old, tired, and outdated jokes. But yet he feels bad for him.
Apparently Leno is starting stand up gigs almost immediately so we'll see if his vision of humor is still relevant.

I may not be the right person to judge (because I'm also old) but I prefer Leno's monologue among the current (or recently canceled) choices.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #23
argicida

Quote:
I bet that Leno is a guest on Letterman within the next year. It will be a huge media event, obviously.
Last night Fallon specifically invited Leno back to the tonight show if he felt the need to tell jokes - possibly he was being nice but possibly trying to avoid Leno doing other late night shows.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #24
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Apparently Leno is starting stand up gigs almost immediately so we'll see if his vision of humor is still relevant.

I may not be the right person to judge (because I'm also old) but I prefer Leno's monologue among the current (or recently canceled) choices.
Leno stopped doing stand up shows. Even during the height of the Tonight Show, Leno was doing 120-150 standup dates a year. He's a total workaholic. He does standup every weekend and almost every night when the show is dark.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #25
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:

It depends. If people come to see you, does that make you relevant?

-smak-
smak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #26
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Leno stopped doing stand up shows. Even during the height of the Tonight Show, Leno was doing 120-150 standup dates a year. He's a total workaholic. He does standup every weekend and almost every night when the show is dark.
^never

-smak-
smak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #27
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
^never

-smak-
Where are you from and what do you do?
Old 02-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #28
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
He just loves working.

He'll keep doing his car show too.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #29
argicida

Quote:
Even during the height of the Tonight Show, Leno was doing 120-150 standup dates a year. He's a total workaholic. He does standup every weekend and almost every night when the show is dark.
That's amazing.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #30
mattack

Quote:
Slate: I actually feel bad for Jay Leno

I didn't read the article.. I will probably keep track of a bunch of these articles and read them eventually.

The *one* thing I feel "sorry" for Leno about is his prime time show. While I didn't watch *full* episodes of it regularly, I did like I do with the late night shows (including his) and recorded it and FFed through for the funny bits. It *wasn't* exactly the Tonight Show, but did feel familiar, and still had new segments in it.

Basically, I don't begrudge him for actually taking the prime time show and trying out something familiar but still new-ish, even though it got horrible ratings.

I do begrudge him for screwing over Conan.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote