TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-06-2014, 02:29 AM   #1
Punker1234

Has there ever been any talks of a 1 hour buffer?

Good evening.

I've had a Tivo for over 5 years, but I do miss my old cable box DVR's with a 1 hour buffer. I just bought a Roamio Plus that is currently being shipped to me, but I have a feeling the buffer times are still at 30 minutes. Am I correct?

If so, has anyone heard any talks of a longer buffer or at least the option to change such preference? I know it seems petty, but sometimes there is a movie or show on that you want to rewind and I almost always find that I don't have the full program in the buffer.
Punker1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:00 AM   #2
atmuscarella

Nothing from TiVo, but the topic comes up every now and then on these forums. I think lots of people would like user set buffer times, but again nothing coming from TiVo.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:13 AM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'd turn mine off if I could. I NEVER watch live TV.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #4
mlsnyc

I was never comfortable relying on the buffer for live TV. If I wanted to watch the program I'd just record. I think what you'll find is the Plus has enough capacity it's better you record something than hope the buffer doesn't get cleared accidentally or intentionally. Not sure what the capacity was of your cable DVR but the ones I've had were in the 20-25 hour range while the Plus can have up to 150.
mlsnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:07 AM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

There has been talk, but only from us here on TCF. Nothing from TiVo.

Should you really care, you might want to post about this on TiVo's own forum (http://forums.tivo.com/pe/elementDis...entID=10100105) and put in a feature request for it (http://advisors.tivo.com/wix5/p2272893819.aspx).

In the meantime, your best bet is to just record instead of relying on the buffer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Yes record it and there is no problem.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:47 PM   #7
shadoh

I'm on the Advisors Panel, and occasionally they'll ask for feature suggestions, and that is always my #1 request - not specifically a 1-hour buffer, but an option to select what length of buffer you'd like (whether shorter or longer than the built-in 30 minutes). In this thread alone (and there are a lot of old ones), you can see that some people want a longer buffer, and others want a shorter one. I don't see a reason why they can't have a Settings option to where you can select between zero (no buffer) and an hour or whatever.
shadoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

It would make sense to have a user adjustable buffer especially if you had the option to set it to zero, there would be a lot less disk writes which would save unnecessary hard drive activity and would also offer a little more processing performance to third party applications they are adding to Tivos.

Even a scheduled buffer adjustment to allow the hard drives a rest at night when most people are sleeping and then a larger one during prime time viewing. Just think how much buffer writes occur when no one is watching TV yet more would be nice say at 6 PM when you get home from work.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

I don't think you'd ever be able to set it to 0. TiVo is designed around the fact that everything coming out of a tuner get's written to disk. But if you could set it real low, like 5 minutes it would free up space for recordings.

Although that could be the sticking point. Allowing an adjustable buffer means that there is the possibility that there is not enough disk space to accommodate your new bigger buffer. Right no TiVo uses special reserve space, but if it allowed an adjustable buffer size then it would have to consider what to do if you increased the size and there was not enough space for that new size. (with 6 tuners just bumping it by 30 minutes requires enough space for 3 hours of video)

I think the way it works now is there is a set amount of reserved space for the buffer that is never used for standard recordings. So they know that there is always enough space to hold the buffer.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #10
ncfoster

Coming from the DirecTV HD DVRs and ReplayTV, I also initially missed this feature. Even until today, when I replaced my old 2 tuner Premiere with a 6 tuner Roamio Pro, I still thought it would be a decent idea. But, once I had my Roamio and my Mini installed, two things occurred to me.

First, the likelihood of a tuner conflict with 6 tuners has become so low that I can't see any reason not to record anything that I want to record. Second, that is already a lot of data that is being held for the live streams with 6 tuners. Doubling that doesn't seems nearly as desirable to me when you move from 2 tuners to 6. The disk space used may be negligible, but I would expect that it might increase the disk usage/wear and decrease long term reliability. If they haven't changed it by now, it seems unlikely that they would go that direction.

In short, I hear you...I used to feel the same. I just had a conversion.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #11
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoh View Post
I don't see a reason why they can't have a Settings option to where you can select between zero (no buffer) and an hour or whatever.
*I AM A PRO-PREFS PERSON IN GENERAL*

However, there is a simple reason why they don't have a settings option:

1) More code to write
2) More scenarios to test
2b) With as many bugs as GET THROUGH Tivo testing (I run into a bunch routinely and have written them up on tivo's forum), that's more things to GO WRONG on a user's Tivo, perhaps somehow wrecking an INTENDED recording.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #12
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post
In short, I hear you...I used to feel the same. I just had a conversion.
Agreed. Six tuners on a Pro and a Premiere XL4 has pretty much banished conflicts or storage issues. Once upon a time, maybe, but not with today's units.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

I still have conflicts several times a week with my Roamio Pro. Well not right now with the Olympics on. But that is also because I record a lot of stuff. I don't watch it all though.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #14
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I miss bufferhack. I'd set the live buffer to 3 hours if I could.
todd_j_derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #15
humbb

One advantage to having a larger buffer in this 6-tuner, 450 hour age: sometimes I see something on one of the six tuners that's live (perhaps news or sporting event) and wish I could have recorded the whole thing, but the buffer is already past the start of the program.
humbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #16
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbb View Post
One advantage to having a larger buffer in this 6-tuner, 450 hour age: sometimes I see something on one of the six tuners that's live (perhaps news or sporting event) and wish I could have recorded the whole thing, but the buffer is already past the start of the program.
This.

What most of you who respond with "just record everything" don't understand is that we do. It's the fluke "turn on the TV and see something I wish I knew to record" that makes us wish we had larger buffers (or user controllable).

I record everything. With a Pro, plus an Elite and an S3, I record everything. Just in case. I record every morning show, news show, late night show, etc. I record almost every Pilot and new series. I delete almost all of them unwatched, but should there be buzz (Fallon did what?!?), I can go back and watch it.

But when you turn on the TV, or switch tuners, and see the middle of something that looks really interesting, you end up looking to see if it started within the buffer, or are there any upcoming showings.

I also have DirecTV, and it has a 1.5 hour buffer. I find myself going back thru the buffer (past the 1/2 hour point) several times a week. If you had it, you'd find it handy. Ok, maybe not all of you, but most would.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #17
ncfoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
This.

What most of you who respond with "just record everything" don't understand is that we do. It's the fluke "turn on the TV and see something I wish I knew to record" that makes us wish we had larger buffers (or user controllable).

I record everything. With a Pro, plus an Elite and an S3, I record everything. Just in case. I record every morning show, news show, late night show, etc. I record almost every Pilot and new series. I delete almost all of them unwatched, but should there be buzz (Fallon did what?!?), I can go back and watch it.

But when you turn on the TV, or switch tuners, and see the middle of something that looks really interesting, you end up looking to see if it started within the buffer, or are there any upcoming showings.

I also have DirecTV, and it has a 1.5 hour buffer. I find myself going back thru the buffer (past the 1/2 hour point) several times a week. If you had it, you'd find it handy. Ok, maybe not all of you, but most would.
I do get that, but most of the time, I view the likelihood of these fluke events as low. I have enough things that I know I want to watch recorded that I rarely catch up completely. Most of those "buzzed about" things are something that you can pull up on YouTube, etc. Yes, in an ideal world, I'd like to be able to rewind as much as I want on anything, and have a tuner set to every available channel. In fact, I am sure that the next-generation cloud devices will offer just this. But, as long as we have these set-top boxes, I'm pretty happy with this setup. Definitely don't begrudge anyone else their preferences, though.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #18
mlsnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
This.

I do understand what you do. I've been there many times myself. Where the tuner happened to be on a show I was interested in so I'd check if the buffer goes back to the beginning and if not I'll hunt the guide for a future airing of the show. I get it, that if there was a longer buffer or you can configure it to bigger that would alleviate the problem, and all you need to do is go back and watch from the beginning or record the entire thing for later consumption.

But that wasn't my point about not trusting the buffer and therefore I felt better recording something I happened upon to make sure I don't lose it. It's not so much the buffer will run out but the risk the channel can get switched under my nose so just avoid that risk altogether and record. This dates back to my days with an S2 which had only 1 tuner, when shows weren't repeated that often, and Tivo suggestions were more aggressive that unless I was recording something it would change the channel for something else it thought I may like to watch. No amount of buffer will take care of that problem, and I've learned or been programmed that if I happen upon something I would like to watch, then record it. Even though these days I've turned off Suggestions and the only risk of a channel change comes from my own scheduled recordings or human error where I accidentally change the channel.

Last edited by mlsnyc : 02-09-2014 at 01:32 PM.
mlsnyc is offline   Reply With Quote