TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-26-2004, 11:45 AM   #1
GeorgeD

Cool Tivo and SIR-TS360

Trying to see if anyone has been able to use the RS232 port of the Samsung SIR-TS360 HD receiver and the serial output of the Tivo (Sony 2000) to control the channels?

Thanks
GeorgeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 04:27 PM   #2
trovan

Same Problem with HD receiver

I am having the same problem. Does anyone know how to interface the TS360 with SA Tivo?

Mark
trovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 08:39 AM   #3
GeorgeD

Talked to Samsung Tech Support and was told that the RS232 port was for diagnostics only(She just did not sound very secure in her answer....Had to ask around for the answer). Just kinda strange that the specs would tout having a RS232 port if it cannot be used for anything other than diagnostics. I am just running into a royal pain trying to change channels via TIVO. I have tried a tent, moving the proximity of the TIVO and the TS360, and keep running into getting two out of three digits. I gotta figure something out, the other half is getting a little hostile with the system working like this.
I am going to keep digging and I will let you know what I find out.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:45 AM   #4
ccwf
国際化 Member

I also saw in The Master Samsung 360 topic in the AVS Forum that the SIR-TS-360 has an RF port. In that case, it would be worthwhile for a SIR-TS-360 owner to try the TiVo IR to DirecTV receiver RF hookup detailed in the Hughes Director GAEB0 entry of the Cable/Satellite Box Compatibility & Codes List to see if that will work for the SIR-TS-360, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:24 PM   #5
blekenbleu

TiVo IR to DirecTV receiver RF connection seemed worth trying,
but the 360 did not response at all. 1/8 phone jacks fit both ends,
and I tried all Samsung codes. I also get inconsistent
and unreliable results using Sony 2000's IR blaster..

I am not sure how useful the IR blaster would be,
even if it were reliable.
Does a regular TiVo know how to specify digital channels, such as 26-1?
Analog local reception here is plagued by multipath,
but digital reception is fine.
The SIR-TS360 has VCR controls and an IR blaster,
but I have not found a VCR code to which the Sony 2000 responds.
blekenbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 11:03 PM   #6
mohanram
TiVo CraZy

TiVo support needs to provide update?

Even TiVo support does not seem to have an answer for this. Now that I paid for lifetime TiVo service & $699 for a HD DirecTV receiver what are my options here. The TiVo is useless if it cannot control the Samsung DirecTV reciever. I have spoken with DirecTV technical support, Samsung Technical Support & Tivo. No one has an answer for this one. Why does none of the TiVo codes help in successfully changing the channel on a consistent basis? This problem did not exist on the SIR-TS160 which I had earlier. Would TiVo need to issue an update to fix this?

Proud Owner of ~250 hours Series2 TiVo & 150 Hours Series1 Sony TiVo
mohanram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 11:05 PM   #7
ccwf
国際化 Member

Note that when trying the RF hookup, it was very important for the GAEB0 that the cable be at most 2' long. Longer cables did not work.

And if it still doesn't work, oh wellit was just a shot in the dark.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 03-29-2004, 11:12 PM   #8
ccwf
国際化 Member

If the SIR-TS-360 uses new codes, then someone with a Pronto (learning universal remote) or a Palm (PDA) needs to capture the codes in Pronto format. From there, the codes can be sent to moderator Gary Sargent, with a request that they be translated into TiVo format and sent to TiVo. TiVo can then send a targeted mini-update that adds the new IR code to select TiVos for testing.

If the SIR-TS-360 does not use new codes but is instead suffering from something like what DISH Model 6000 users went through last year (bug introduced in DISH firmware), then that's hard for TiVo to deal with. In the Model 6000 case, they waited for DISH to fix their own problem, which took quite a while.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 03-30-2004, 01:30 PM   #9
GeorgeD

Just got off the phone with the HD/TIVO tech at Direct and I was told that they will not guarantee their units to work with a stand alone TIVO and were totally unwilling to swap out receivers for a Hughes to see if that would correct the problem. I also explained of the receiver having an overscan problem and told me that we need to go through adjusting the Zoom function. Not quite sure which planet they just landed from, but I will not give up yet. After explaining that this was totally unacceptable for channel changing that did not occur on the TS160, I got the 'Sorry you're not happy' line.

I did try the VCR IR that came with the TS360 and ran that from the TIVO last night. Seem to clear up for a while then started again. Tried a temporary tent, different location, but back to the same old problem. Now if I could only find some two digit channels, I'd be all set....

Sorry, didn't mean to rant, but just a little hostile right now.....
Old 03-31-2004, 12:00 AM   #10
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeD
Sorry, didn't mean to rant, but just a little hostile right now.....
I think you have a right to be. I think they should be concerned that they are pushing a new receiver that works with neither TiVo nor ReplayTV, the two biggest DVRs around. It was nice to see Sony and Zenith ensure their SAT-HD300 and HD-SAT530 are TiVo-compatible after the complaints when the SAT-HD200 and HD-SAT520 were not (without extreme hoops). Too bad DirecTV and Samsung aren't willing to be as understanding.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 03-31-2004, 07:41 AM   #11
GeorgeD

Well, I headed home last night and decided the best move was to go to CC and get the Hughes HTL-HD (Even though their price changed from the time I checked and the time I picked it up). Got it hooked up and the TIVO serial worked perfect and all my OTA channels came in perfect. I thought my antenna was mis-directed and it was the TS360 the whole time. Going to see it and now finally sit back and watch something without tinkering all night...
Thanks for everyone's help with this and I sure hope that Direct and Samsung get their act together for everyone else.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:14 PM   #12
blekenbleu

> Note that when trying the RF hookup,
> it was very important for the GAEB0 that the cable be at most 2' long.
> Longer cables did not work.

The audio cable I first tried was somewhat over 2',
so I tried again last night with a Sony S-Link cable
which is also over 2' but designed for similar signals,
and still got no response.
Not having seen Samsung's IR dongle, am uncertain it has vanilla 1/8 phone.

> Talked to Samsung Tech Support and was told that
> the RS232 port was for diagnostics only.

This is sad, since the Samsung site advertises this RS232 port
as "Crestron certified". Message 21980 in the Yahoo! Crestron group has
dialog from an individual who has reported success using Crestron's protocol...
from a PC:

> Hughes HTL-HD ... hooked up and the TIVO serial worked perfect
> and all my OTA channels came in perfect.

I've no experience with Hughes' HTL-HD (and only a few hours with Samsung)
and am trying to understand how TiVo would select among local digital channels.
For example, local PBS stations have 4 and 6 digital sub-channels which Samsung
labels, for example 46-1, 46-2, ... 46-6, where 46 is the analog PBS channel.
Our (Sony 2000) TiVo only lists another single channel number, 14, for digital.
Entering 14 by IR remote is rejected by the SIR-TS360.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:35 PM   #13
GeorgeD

Did not mean to confuse with the OTA working with the HTL-HD. I still have to use the Hughes controller to access these with the sub-channel (6-1,8-1, etc.) What I was getting to was that the TS360 would not even find these channels even after setup. It logged them in but could not pull a strong enough signal. The Sony TIVO, as well as other older versions will not access the sub-channels.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:51 PM   #14
blekenbleu

> The Sony TIVO, as well as other older versions will not access the sub-channels.

Bummer, I was hoping to get decent quality local station standard definition
using digital sub-channels. Another approach is for an HD tuner to drive TiVo as
a VCR. Samsung's IR blaster can control an RCA S-VHS, but I have not
found a VCR code to which TiVo responds. Has anyone had success
slaving a TiVo to a satellite receiver?
Old 04-01-2004, 11:35 PM   #15
ccwf
国際化 Member

Slaving, no, but some of the C-Band TiVo owners simply set their receivers to change channels at the desired times and set their TiVos to make manual recordings. With DirecTV you should be able to do the same thing when you want to record from a sub-channel (that is, just set the DirecTV receiver to think it is recording to a VCR from a sub-channel and set the TiVo to record).

TiVo

中日韓
Old 04-08-2004, 01:57 AM   #16
mohanram
TiVo CraZy

Anyone found a code or a solution that works? Has anyone heard back from Samsung or Tivo?

Proud Owner of ~250 hours Series2 TiVo & 150 Hours Series1 Sony TiVo
mohanram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 08:40 AM   #17
sergiu

any solution yet?
sergiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 11:57 AM   #18
Jayspies

Tivo's take on the 360

Well, I too have a crappy-a$$ ts360 that D* foisted on me when I subscribed to HDTV...and I too can't get it to work changing channels for all the tea in china... Tried the tent, tried the reboot, tried the enter-to-change thingy.....it always misses at least 1 number.

I called Tivo, and after a few transfers and the interminable wading thru their automated system I got to a guy who said that Tivo has someone whose job it is to do code updates and such, like the issue we're all having here... He also said that I was not the first person to call on the issue with this particular receiver.

He said that they'll likely have a software update fix for this model soon (tho he didnt of course give me any timetables). If and when this happens, users who have called in about the problem will be sent an email telling them to update ther software. I hope this happens soon b/c I'm about at the furniture-throwing stage with this not-being-able-to-record-nothin crap...

He suggested that more people call in to tech support at 877-367-8486 and ask for the problem to be addressed via a software update. So if you haven't called them yet, lets GIT ON IT! The more people whose wheels squeak, the more likely they'll get greased...
Jayspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 11:34 PM   #19
GerryinNV

I tried to call Tivo on this and they acted like they've never heard of the issue. Do you have a case number or something that we can all commonly refer to?
GerryinNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:19 PM   #20
SJinBoise
Tivo-American

Hey TiVo! why not do this??

(sorry for shouting, but...)

TiVo is a computer, with an IR receiver and an IR sender as peripherals. Why not let have an opton to make the TiVo LEARN the codes from any remote? I have a 1996 Sony receiver that could do that. The TiVo could basically act as a universal remote.

Come to think of it, this would be an excellent "hack" if TiVo Inc. doesn't want to do it...
Old 06-15-2004, 06:23 PM   #21
classicsat
Astute User

One reason is that the IR receiver built into the Tivo is sensitive to only one carrier frequency (although a popular one). Another might be the hardware may not be capable of transmitting raw IR (it may need to work from a "program", which a person would write by analyzing the receiveds IR data, or specs directly from the manufacturer.)
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:29 PM   #22
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: Hey TiVo! why not do this??

Quote:
Originally posted by SJinBoise
TiVo is a computer, with an IR receiver and an IR sender as peripherals. Why not let have an opton to make the TiVo LEARN the codes from any remote? I have a 1996 Sony receiver that could do that. The TiVo could basically act as a universal remote.

Come to think of it, this would be an excellent "hack" if TiVo Inc. doesn't want to do it...
In fact, if you capture the IR codes using a Pronto or Palm PDA (e.g., using the OmniRemote software), those codes can then be converted into TiVo format and submitted to TiVo for addition so that everyone can take advantage of the new codes (or hacked in yourself on your own TiVo).

Gary's TiVo FAQ site has info on the procedure for capturing, converting, and then getting new IR codes officially added.

(Information on how to hack in IR codes on your own TiVo can be found elsewhere.)

TiVo

中日韓
Old 08-19-2004, 12:16 AM   #23
Dean Roddey

Did anyone ever get any details on the deviations of this box from the standard DTV serial protocol? I'd like to extend my CQC DTV STB driver to support this one, but so far all I've found is that it's non-standard but no details on in what ways.

Dean Roddey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 08:21 AM   #24
civilianx

any resolution?

calling both Samsung and Pioneer/Tivo helpdesks today to see if they have any idea how to get these two devices to cooperate. Been trying for about 6 weeks now on and off. Basically have given up.

anyone found a solution for this?
civilianx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:08 PM   #25
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Hi CivilianX, one of our customer support engineers saw your thread and asked me to post this information:

Quote:
Although we can't support making the serial connection work for TS360, we did take the time to capture the IR. IR codes 10068 & 10069 were created to work with this model. We suggest setting the Enter Key setting to "Yes" for the best results.

Additionally, we also found an entry in Samsung's manual suggesting that you may need to change the "Remote type" setting on the satellite receiver to "IR only" instead of "IR & RF." Refer to receiver's manuals on how to do this.
Thanks to Jerry for providing the above information. CivilianX, I hope this information is helpful for you.

Best regards,
Stephen

TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:16 PM   #26
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Roddey
Did anyone ever get any details on the deviations of this box from the standard DTV serial protocol? I'd like to extend my CQC DTV STB driver to support this one, but so far all I've found is that it's non-standard but no details on in what ways.
There's a link to info on the protocol in the compatibility list. Remember that all the things underlined there (about three hundred underlined items) are links to more detailed info or credits to people who have contributed to the list.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 10-06-2004, 06:35 PM   #27
AdamT

Quote:
Originally posted by TiVoOpsMgr
Hi CivilianX, one of our customer support engineers saw your thread and asked me to post this information:

Thanks to Jerry for providing the above information. CivilianX, I hope this information is helpful for you.

Best regards,
Stephen
Unfortunately the 10069 codes are completely unreliable and the 10068 codes--while they work--are incredibly slow (6-7 seconds to change channels). I'll be sending this Samsung unit back to DirecTV. Fortunately my old RCA DTC100 still works fine (contrary to the the DTV "tech support" staff's conclusion).
AdamT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 05:13 PM   #28
cwebb

Got SA Tivo working with my Samsung 630

FWIW I got my Samsung working nicely with my SA Phillips Series 2. I changed the remote type to IR only, and use teh 100069 FAST codes.

All is well so far...
cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 10:12 AM   #29
patmcfar8

OK, so I have the Samsung TS360... and from what I've read on these forums the serial port DOES NOT WORK and the IR is less than perfect.

Is this still the case? Has there been a fix yet? If not what are my best options?

Any help would be much appreciated. I'd love to actually USE my Tivo, but until this little problem is fixed, it's just a useless box.

Thanks for any help or advice.
patmcfar8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:40 PM   #30
adpad

Smile Tivo Series 2 w/ SIR TS360

I changed the TS360 for IR only and used the included IR/emitter cable that came in the TS360 box. I have tried all the TIVO codes and have found the 10068 SLOW code to be the most reliable.

It is too painful to watch LIVE tv changing channels this way..but the Series 2 only offers S-VIDEO anyway and no HD support so I would never watch LIVE tv via the TIVO box. Its sole purpose in life now is to record shows I cannot watch live and play those. It catches about 50% of the shows I ask it to now. Not terribly useful...but until someone (TIVO or SAMSUNG) makes a move to work together, I am stuck with it.
adpad is offline   Reply With Quote